TTC in the news

buschic

I logged into my GCSurplus account and took a look at the auction.  The thing's listed as being in Mississippi Mills which is barely outside of Ottawa just west of Carleton Place.  The pictures show another (the second one in the married pair?) car behind it.  Ah, just found an auction for the other car.  5602.  Not the companion car to 5647.  Still on their trucks too, but they look like they're in rough shape.  The front coupler on 5647's missing one half of the electrical head among other things.

So my question is, what did the federal government want with a loose pair of H4 subway cars a stone's throw from Ottawa?

Somehow I think I'll be declining to bid on these, even if a subway car would make a great outbuilding for a workshop..

Hold the phone!  Look what else is listed!  Ektagraphic slide projector!  $25.  Have to venture up to CFB Downsview to get it but no biggie, there's a subway stop there now!  But the Toronto Transportation Society can be freed from the vagaries of Metro Hall's equipment for $25 + HST!  The sale's rep's contact info's in the bottom of the auction so maybe someone can call them up on Monday morning and try to get them down to $5 all in on it, or see if they're willing to donate it for free.

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, Kelvin3157 said:

No, just make it into a AirBnb. Or should I say TrainBnb? Either way, you might as well make revenue for well stacked foamers. Restore it's former glory days of revenue service! (At least it's servicing, but in a different way)

That's actually a good idea.

1 hour ago, 7575 said:

Or maybe they're worried somebody is gonna fill the shower with foam (like usual).

Actually, you might be closer to the truth than you realize.  It'd be firefighting foam though.  I did a bit of digging and it turns out that those subway cars were at the National Research Council's National Fire Laboratory.

Have a look at this article:  Mississippi Mills residents sue NRC for $40M over contaminated water  

The two H4s are clearly visible at the right hand side of the first photograph.

• Haha 4

On 4/26/2019 at 10:34 PM, Wayside Observer said:

Actually, you might be closer to the truth than you realize.  It'd be firefighting foam though.  I did a bit of digging and it turns out that those subway cars were at the National Research Council's National Fire Laboratory.

Have a look at this article:  Mississippi Mills residents sue NRC for $40M over contaminated water  

The two H4s are clearly visible at the right hand side of the first photograph.

What are the H4's doing there

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

Fire testing?

Yeah, that's what I thought too, since they're sitting at the National Fire Laboratory where evidently discharged so much firefighting foam they've contaminated all the groundwater in the area and gotten hauled into court for it.  Of course, both of us could be totally off the deep end with the whole thinking about the situation logically thing so who knows.

20 minutes ago, raptorjays said:

Well, current government is not willing to listen other people’s opinion even though they are For the People.

If they are keep ignorant on us, that is the only way to express our disapproval. 

I agree with you on the first part. The second part, not so much. I agree that Doug Ford is a prick but I'm not assassinating him anytime soon. 

That's neither here nor there. Our elected officials don't give a rat's ass about transit (not exclusive to Ford), but by threatening to assassinate them on a public forum, you're just making yourself look childish and immature.

• Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

by threatening to assassinate them on a public forum, you're just making yourself look childish and immature.

Not so much that as much as risking oneself getting arrested and charged, or at least investigated (such comments are usually not taken lightly by the authorities).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, raptorjays said:

It got even worse when his late brother Rob Ford cancelled the entire 'Transit City' plan.

So that would be "Yes", that the problems pre-date either of the Ford brothers correct? 

Did you make such comments about Wynn or Rae?

1 hour ago, Benton Harper said:

So that would be "Yes", that the problems pre-date either of the Ford brothers correct? 

Ford the Younger was responsible for the roll-back of many service improvements, and thus current stagnation of ridership on the TTC. So that set of problems most certainly don't pre-date them.

But in other cases, I guess it would depend on what you define as a "problem". An appropriate blanket response to your question would be "In some cases, yes. In some of cases, no."

Did you make such comments about Wynn or Rae?

Why is it relevant to bring up what the comments were in regards to Wynne or Rae, other than for you to produce a strawman?

Dan

• Like 1