TTC in the news

buschic

It’s counterintuitive to conservative dogma also since under provincial control, some  sod in Sarnia or Elliot Lake, who’s never even ridden it -will now be contributing more to its many related budgets than ever before through provincial taxes.

Probably not something they had in mind when they cast their ballot. One would think that those that stand to use and benefit from riding it, should be the ones paying  the larger portion of the overhead expenses. 

Once again, as with the redistribution of city ward boundaries, the entire undertaking smacks of emotional malice and irrational settling of old scores from his late brother’s troubled and chaotic term as mayor....nevermind the back room shenanigans that his chief of staff and motorcycle gang of a cabinet are committing behind kingpin Doug’s ridiculously deliberate smokescreens....I could go on for hours.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2018 at 6:30 PM, Bus_Medic said:

It’s counterintuitive to conservative dogma also since under provincial control, some  sod in Sarnia or Elliot Lake, who’s never even ridden it -will now be contributing more to its many related budgets than ever before through provincial taxes.

Probably not something they had in mind when they cast their ballot. One would think that those that stand to use and benefit from riding it, should be the ones paying  the larger portion of the overhead expenses. 

Once again, as with the redistribution of city ward boundaries, the entire undertaking smacks of emotional malice and irrational settling of old scores from his late brother’s troubled and chaotic term as mayor....nevermind the back room shenanigans that his chief of staff and motorcycle gang of a cabinet are committing behind kingpin Doug’s ridiculously deliberate smokescreens....I could go on for hours.

I can just say everyone who voted for the CONservatives and Doug Ford are dotards. 

I don’t think alienating the slim majority who voted for him will help. Smug “I told you so’s” only drive the wedge deeper and do nothing to dig us out of the collective chaos we now find ourselves in, even if it makes you and I feel better in the short term.

These are supposed to be fellow, and equal law abiding citizens of Ontario you’re referring to.  Wynne should have noticed the resentment brewing on the horizon. Had she been a little more pragmatic, she’d likely still be premier.

Governing by ideology and slogan alone can go just as wrong on the left as it can for the right. Go after the organ grinder and his monkeys...not the audience.

• Like 6

On 12/1/2018 at 6:20 PM, raptorjays said:

Since Toronto had less votes for the PC party, Doug Ford is trying to fuck over Toronto with bunch of regressive moves. He has intention to extend subways to suburbs rather than developing it within the city limit. He is trying to make Torontonians suffer..

That is such a communist move and can’t believe there are still bunch of dotards who will support him even if he kill someone.

The Liberals were working on this for years. And they've already arranged for the future lines to be uploaded. But now it's about Doug Ford?

I don't think anyone despises that corrupt bigot of questionable reading skills more than I do. But I don't really see a big deal about who owns the infrastructure. This has everything to do with financing, and nothing to do with operations.

Though I hardly expect a doltard like Ford to even comprehend what is being done here. I'm surprised he's continuing with a Liberal policy, and likely doesn't realize the implications (or perhaps lack of them).

• Like 1

TTC completes signal upgrades between Dupont and VMC

December 3, 2018

As of this morning, subway service on TTC's Line 1 between Dupont and Vaughan Metropolitan Centre stations is operating on the modern and improved Automatic Train Control (ATC) system.

Upgrades and testing were completed during this past weekend's subway closure with the system going live prior to service starting at 6 a.m. This milestone means fewer delays associated with the older fixed-block signalling system along this 19 kilometre section of Line 1.

TTC crews spent 11 months installing the communications system and 323 km of cable. Two of those months were dedicated to improvements to manage trains entering and exiting Wilson Yard.

A video explaining how the new signaling system works and the benefits it brings is available at  https://eur04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DFcGhkh10Q3I&data=02%7C01%7C%7Caddc7d74658f4d9f081d08d659584c9f%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636794633102161061&sdata=P3vPinZh7pR1zFwRUziVyGN56FETVRTJZRqlb7gy8Lw%3D&reserved=0

In addition to reducing signal-related delays, ATC increases safety of the subway, improves travel times and lowers operating costs.

Once fully installed, the system will allow the TTC to run trains closer together during the busiest times of day in order to improve capacity and relieve crowding. As installation of ATC continues, weekend closures will continue to be required. As always, the TTC will advise customers in advance of these closures and alternate service plans.

ATC is proven technology that is in operation at more than 100 subway systems throughout the world such as Hong Kong, Shanghai, London and Paris. Like new systems elsewhere, TTC's Line 1 extension has been running on the ATC system since it opened last December.

23 hours ago, nfitz said:

The Liberals were working on this for years. And they've already arranged for the future lines to be uploaded. But now it's about Doug Ford?

I don't think anyone despises that corrupt bigot of questionable reading skills more than I do. But I don't really see a big deal about who owns the infrastructure. This has everything to do with financing, and nothing to do with operations.

Though I hardly expect a doltard like Ford to even comprehend what is being done here. I'm surprised he's continuing with a Liberal policy, and likely doesn't realize the implications (or perhaps lack of them).

Oh it's a big deal as to who owns the infrastructure alright (well at least with the government we have in power). With ownership, comes powers to control how system is operated, who operates it, how much money is spent, etc...

Lets put it this way, if Dougy decided to hack and slash service, delay vehicle purchases, slash the State of Good Repair budget, and extend subways out to Kirby just for starters there would be nothing we could do to stop it and Toronto wouldnt have a say whatsoever.

Seeing as Dougy still holds his little childhood grudge against Toronto, he would almost certainly deprive Toronto of anything good in name of giving subways to Pickering, Barrie and who knows what other places he has been fantasizing about in his delusional mind.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lip said:

Lets put it this way, if Dougy decided to hack and slash service, delay vehicle purchases, slash the State of Good Repair budget, and extend subways out to Kirby just for starters there would be nothing we could do to stop it and Toronto wouldnt have a say whatsoever.

How would it allow them to hack and slash service and delay vehicle purchases? As far as I know, the "purchase" doesn't include the vehicles. 

Sure, they could slash the state of good repair budget - though quite frankly, given that there'd be various contracts in place about that budget, it becomes more difficult to suddenly cut it, than it is now, simply controlled by the city.

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

How would it allow them to hack and slash service and delay vehicle purchases? As far as I know, the "purchase" doesn't include the vehicles. 

Sure, they could slash the state of good repair budget - though quite frankly, given that there'd be various contracts in place about that budget, it becomes more difficult to suddenly cut it, than it is now, simply controlled by the city.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to upload the tunnels and not upload the trains that run in those tunnels. But even if that's done (and not much about the proposal makes a whole lot, or even any much, sense) there are obvious ways of putting the screws to the system. Stop development of Obico yard. Do some funny things at Greenwood, or Wilson, or Davisville. Extend the system but don't construct any new yards. The fun is endless!

For budgets, you are assuming that they would actually sign long-term contracts right off the bat. The TTC currently has lots of stuff 'below the line' which hasn't even been budgeted for. There's no reason I can see to think that the entity running the uploaded subway would be any better. This is the bunch that uses slogans like "subways last a hundred years!" They aren't going to take kindly to spending billions on this and that in the way of maintenance.

9 hours ago, nfitz said:

Do you really think the province would take control of the subway, without taking over all of it's assets? If the province were the owners of the subway fleet, they would be responsible for replacing/upgrading the fleet when needed. Much like they would be responsible for replacing rails, signals, escalators, elavators, etc..

10 minutes ago, lip said:

Do you really think the province would take control of the subway, without taking over all of it's assets? If the province were the owners of the subway fleet, they would be responsible for replacing/upgrading the fleet when needed. Much like they would be responsible for replacing rails, signals, escalators, elavators, etc..

Yes, but remember: responsibilities can be abdicated.

Is that a possibility anybody is comfortable with?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lip said:

Do you really think the province would take control of the subway, without taking over all of it's assets? 

I wasn't opining on the province taking control of the subway. I've heard no reports that there's  plan to do that. I was opining on them uploading the capital assets - i.e. the building, tunnels, power systems.

Uploading the capital assets could easily include the vehicles as well (like Line 5 and 6). Or not (like in the UK, where the English government owns/maintains the mainline railway track, but doesn't own most of the passenger trains.

The only thing I know, is that there seems to be some exaggeration of what exactly the province is planning to take over!

7 hours ago, nfitz said:

The only thing I know, is that there seems to be some exaggeration of what exactly the province is planning to take over!

Well right now our province is being led by a buffoon, so the sky is the limit as to what is or isnt being taken over. Since Ford seems intent on screwing Toronto with every chance he can get, it wouldnt surprise me if we get the worst deal possible.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Orion V said:

Queensway’s not that tight. You can drive around, just can’t open and work on the roof equipment without clanging your head off rafters in certain spots.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

A couple weeks ago

FB_IMG_1545995947405.jpg

Yeah, that's just a box van literally costs peanuts to fix compared to the bus damage... but yeah, not a good look on the TTC employees not reading the signs or knowing the height of their vehicles.