TTC in the news

buschic

Hop on-hop off transfer available on TTC starting Aug. 26

July 30, 2018

Mayor John Tory, TTC Chair Josh Colle and Councillor Jon Burnside (Ward 26) announced today that TTC will introduce the hop on-hop off transfer for PRESTO customers next month.

Starting Aug. 26, PRESTO card customers will be able to take advantage of the new two-hour transfer to hop on and off the TTC or switch directions at any point in their journey. As long as they are within two hours of their first tap, they won't be charged another fare. 

"It is important that everyone in Toronto has access to public transit, and this new two-hour transfer will make transit more affordable and convenient for people," said Mayor John Tory. "With this year's fare freeze, the Kids Ride Free program, the Fair Fare Pass for low-income residents and now the hop on-hop off transfer, the TTC is more affordable for more people in Toronto."

Once the hop on-hop off transfer is in effect, PRESTO card customers should tap their card each time they enter a subway station and whenever they board a bus or streetcar, regardless of whether it's in a station or on the street. Tapping validates the transfer or monthly pass on the card. 

"The hop on-hop off transfer is an excellent initiative for the residents of Ward 26 and across the city," said Councillor Burnside. "It will greatly help people who need to stop on the way home, whether it's to pick up groceries or to pick up kids from daycare."

In addition to the hop on-hop off transfer, TTC Monthly Passes and 12 Month Passes will be available for all adults, seniors and youths to purchase on PRESTO, starting with the September pass. These passes will be available for sale from Aug. 23 until Sept. 5 and will cost the same and provide the same unlimited travel as a regular Metropass or the Metropass Discount Plan (MDP). After that, passes will be available eight days before the end of the month until five days after the start of a new month. 

"With so many fare options on PRESTO, the time is right for customers to switch from tickets, tokens and TTC passes to PRESTO," said TTC Chair Josh Colle. "PRESTO is a key piece in the TTC's modernization efforts. By the end of 2019 customers will no longer be able to pay their fare by tickets, tokens or TTC passes. PRESTO or cash will be the only way for customers to pay their fare."

PRESTO is available on all streetcars, buses and at every subway station entrance. New PRESTO Fare Vending Machines are also available at select subway station entrances, making it even easier for customers to buy a PRESTO card, load it with money or a monthly pass or check their balance. By later this fall every station entrance will have at least one PRESTO Fare Vending Machine as well as a Self-Serve Reload Machine. 

• Like 1

I feel like the "Kids 12 and under ride free" program is being heavily abused by school kids in grade 8/9/10 who are not wearing a school uniform to identify them, or just look young enough to pass for a 12 year old.

I work near both elementary schools and high schools, and I see them regularly getting on without paying, and the operators have no way of even checking their status.

IMO it should be reduced to 10 years or under, it would cut down a lot on this fare evasion.

On 7/28/2018 at 10:37 PM, Xtrazsteve said:

Talking about Ford's monopoly over Toronto and streetcars, Doug Ford has the power to banned streetcars/LRT on Ontario streets.

I suspect that the only reason why he hasn't done that yet is because of Crosslinx's 30 year contract.

• 2 weeks later...

TTC PM service update for August 8

August 8, 2018

The TTC is advising customers that due to flooding at Sheppard West Station, subway service between Wilson and Finch West stations will be replaced by shuttle buses through the afternoon rush hour, resulting in longer than normal travel times.

TTC crews, assisted by Toronto Fire Services, have spent most of the day pumping water from the flooded sections of the station. Once clear, electricians and subway crews will inspect and test the equipment that has been under water for several hours.

Crews are working as quickly as possible to restore service. Customers are advised to check ttc.ca and follow @TTCnotices on Twitter for service updates.

A total of 44 shuttle buses will replace subway service stopping at Wilson, Sheppard West, Downsview Park and Finch West stations. The GO protocol is in effect, allowing customers to ride a GO train on the Barrie Line within Toronto for a TTC fare. Customers can also use the Yonge side of Line 1 to travel north and take a bus west on York Mills Rd./Wilson Ave., Sheppard Ave. and Finch Ave.

The Sheppard West station flooding was the most serious of several weather-related incidents to impact TTC service today.

Also this morning, at approximately 9:45 a.m., subway service was suspended for about 90 minutes between Bloor and Eglinton stations after storm water contacted a 600v cable causing a small track-level fire.

The TTC apologizes for the inconvenience and thanks customers for their patience during the flood and its aftermath.

9 hours ago, Benton Harper said:

Can you provide a link to where Ford actually states he hates transit.  I can't seem to find one...

Check under I hate streetcars more than transit. He and his bother have no use for streetcars and they have made very well known as councilors.

Need to do goggling. 

10 hours ago, Benton Harper said:

Can you provide a link to where Ford actually states he hates transit.  I can't seem to find one...

The writer was a reporter at city hall, when corrupt former drug-dealer Doug Ford missed more council sessions than any other councillor. Royson James - who brutally and routinely attacked David Miller in the previous decade - knows what he's saying about that transit-hating liar.

13 hours ago, Benton Harper said:

Look up his and his late brother's actions while they were on council between 2010-2014, particularly with regards to previously approved, fully-funded transit expansion plans and across-the-board service cuts on the TTC. 

In any event, even under the Liberal government I had doubts the Finch West project would ever be built, considering there was never strong local support for it (see Mammo et. al. ) but it is virtually guaranteed it will never be built under the current government.

9 hours ago, ttc rider said:

Look up his and his late brother's actions while they were on council between 2010-2014, particularly with regards to previously approved, fully-funded transit expansion plans and across-the-board service cuts on the TTC. 

In any event, even under the Liberal government I had doubts the Finch West project would ever be built, considering there was never strong local support for it (see Mammo et. al. ) but it is virtually guaranteed it will never be built under the current government.

I asked for a link to any comments from the current premier of Ontario, or when he was running in the last election, or even something from his leadership campaign.  

Not something from a council member or his brother from years gone by.

18 hours ago, ttc rider said:

They don't hate Transit, they hate STREETCARS. They cancelled every transit plan because it was ALL STREETCAR, they wanted to build Subways

How do you explain Doug Ford not willing to commit to $3 Go Transit fare? They have yet to commit to electrification. The whole subway subway subway talk is impractical. Just something voters want to hear and not a suitable type of transportation in the burbs and 905 region. 

All the plans the Ford brother come up with have something to do with not impeding traffic for cars. This includes getting cyclists out the way and avoid building more bike lanes in the burbs. If you ask Ford about a dedicated bus lane that could take away car space, he'll object to it.

You're all right that he doesn't hate transit but he doesn't love transit. The Fords don't want to invest in it and ensures transit have no priority at all over top priority cars. They are all too expensive to him and should be cut to save $$$.

2 hours ago, Benton Harper said:

All this talk about how "Ford Hates Transit" yet not one link that has him saying that he hates transit... 

Just because he has a different point of view, or you don't agree with him does not validate these "Ford Hates Transit" allegations...

His brother Rob never said he hated transit either but he of course voted to cut funding for transit services and proposed big expensive subway plans which he had no real intention of funding. If I'm not mistaken he had someone ghostwrite a column in the Globe advocating for a tax to pay for his Scarborough subway and followed that up by voting against the budget for it.

You'd probably say he never actually said he "hates transit" but agitating for expensive megaprojects (to feign support for transit) while ignoring or trying to bleed the regular system dry is a common tactic by people who don't actually care about transit or the people who use it.

• Thanks 1

I just hope Mr. Ford doesn't eliminate the streetcar network entirely. If you don't know it already, the other North American cities that got rid of theirs decades ago did so because of the influx of buses and the desire of the local governments to monopolize surface transport. I very suppose that Mr. Ford wants to take this approach when it comes to underground transport - all to put more money back in people's pockets, which I clearly doubt is the ultimate solution. Get a life, PCs.

On 8/13/2018 at 6:40 AM, Ed T. said:

Dogwhistle politics rings a bell for you?

Anyway, what you believe or not isn't relevant to me--I can't bother, in this age of time-wasting trolls.

And cue the leftist card carrying anti-fa types ?

OK, you've all had more than enough time...

Thank you for confirming that not one of your ilk can locate anything, anywhere that has Ford saying "He Hates Transit"  Notta, nothing at all

And like the typical lefty, when you are caught out in a lie, or cannot prove your wild statements, you resort to name calling

Sadly you lot have been poisoned to the point that rational logical concrete evidence means not a thing, but wild rantings are acceptable

Frankly, you should be protesting why your education system has failed you...

[sorry, still off-topic... ]

He hasn't quite shown that he hates transit as a whole, but he does hate any transit/infrastructure that interferes with cars - the so called "war on cars". Primarily streetcars because cars are required to stop behind them to let passengers board/alight (and because they're "so slow holding up traffic"), and probably also due to their association with "the downtown elite" due to the location of the streetcar network. Surface transit right of ways as that takes away lanes from cars. Bike lanes because they also occupy road space that could otherwise accommodate cars. Also lower speed limits despite vehicle-pedestrian collision rates rising dramatically because cars will have to drive slower. Despite them making sense in many places they are and are proposed. Subways subways subways are underground where cars are not. People generally also love subways (well when they're running fine) and will give him brownie points for pushing for them. Hence that is why they're his fave and why he wants his government to take over control of building them.

He doesn't quite understand that the car is the least economical road space occupier, or at least he doesn't care about this at all.

This is an incredibly stupid argument that is going to go nowhere, especially if we're going to start blaming one's political values for their posts (which is rather juvenile, I might add, and assumes you even know them in the first place, which you don't).

Let's start simple. He hates streetcars. Streetcars are a form of transit. Therefore, he hates a form of transit.

Okay, but does he hate all transit? No, of course not, that'd be very silly for anyone let alone someone in power.

Yes, absolutely, the title of the article is sensationalized. Sensationalized titles are used by news agencies get people to read their articles. It's been going on for years, there's nothing new here. Had you bothered to read the article itself, you'd find it makes exactly one mention of "transit hating" Doug Ford near the top, and that's it.The rest of it points out his subway priorities and streetcar denouncing. All of which he is on public record as saying.

Frankly, just watch him. Actions speak much louder than words do.

Now for some actual (at least mostly) news:
Half of new discount TTC passes for low-income residents are going unused

• Thanks 2