TTC in the news

buschic

They need to be robust enough structurally and mechanically, otherwise they'd be ineffective and a contributor to service delays in itself. As mentioned above, if the gates can indeed be simply smashed through, drivers will likely continue into the raised tracks and get stuck regardless. And if the gates fail mechanically (due to snow/salt/water damage or whatever) easily, they'll cause even more frequent service disruptions. So hopefully their procurement process is stronger than Presto...

Honestly, all the gate needs to do is hide the entrance to the tunnel and put a big stop sign between the rails on both sides.

It doesn't even need a motor. It just needs a spring mechanism with enough strength to keep it closed but can be pushed open by a vehicle going through.

3 minutes ago, skyfirenet said:

Honestly, all the gate needs to do is hide the entrance to the tunnel and put a big stop sign between the rails on both sides.

It doesn't even need a motor. It just needs a spring mechanism with enough strength to keep it closed but can be pushed open by a vehicle going through.

That would involve customization, and an engineer(s) approval, delaying things.

going off the shelf would expedite stuff as much as possible. Even that would require a blueprint.

1 minute ago, Bus_Medic said:

That would involve customization, and an engineer(s) approval, delaying things.

going off the shelf would expedite things.

You can get that sort of spring mechanism at Home Depot. All I'm thinking of is a slightly scaled up version of a self closing fence gate.

7 minutes ago, skyfirenet said:

You can get that sort of spring mechanism at Home Depot. All I'm thinking of is a slightly scaled up version of a self closing fence gate.

....which would require an engineer’s approval.

NOTHING gets built until all reasonable public liability scenarios have been addressed.

think back to the guy who took it upon himself to build a staircase in a west end public park last summer, after getting impatient with the city.

They were forced to tear it down, or they’d be hanging themselves liability wise should an injury occur. You can’t just cobble something together that has the potential to injure or cause property damage, no matter how outlandish the scenario.

they may well select some chain link gate solution, but not unless it goes across a P.eng’s desk first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, skyfirenet said:

Whats the logic doing this for streetcars when a car can do it as well and still have cars in the tunnel???

Depending on the gate design, still expect driver to crash the gate.

Then, when the gate fail, it will stop all service until it fix.

1 minute ago, drum118 said:

Whats the logic doing this for streetcars when a car can do it as well and still have cars in the tunnel???

Because what would a gate capable of stopping any car with an intoxicated driver do to a streetcar if the gate malfunctions and the operator fails to notice it before impact?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, skyfirenet said:

Because what would a gate capable of stopping any car with an intoxicated driver do to a streetcar if the gate malfunctions and the operator fails to notice it before impact?

Never mind that they would never knowingly install a gate capable of seriously injuring a motorist, no matter how impaired or oblivious they may be.

my instinct tells me it will be of the breakaway, “parking lot booth” sort. Maybe with some hinged curtain below it for extra visibility, and the illusion of something more substantial.

Off the shelf stuff has manual bypasses and mechanisms to raise, and lock them in the raised position should something malfunction.

Train the cab supervisors and enforcement constables how to do it, and you’re all set.

5 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

my instinct tells me it will be of the breakaway, “parking lot booth” sort. Maybe with some hinged curtain below it for extra visibility, and the illusion of something more substantial.

Off the shelf stuff has manual bypasses and mechanisms to raise, and lock them in the raised position should something malfunction.

Train the cab supervisors and enforcement constables how to do it, and you’re all set.

I wouldn't be surprised at that either. Ultimately though, any barrier that attempts to stop drivers who are too dumb to live or drunk to the point of suicidal is guaranteed to fail a cost-benefit analysis in this case.

2 minutes ago, skyfirenet said:

I wouldn't be surprised at that either. Ultimately though, any barrier that attempts to stop drivers who are too dumb to live or drunk to the point of suicidal is guaranteed to fail a cost-benefit analysis in this case.

And let's not forget there's a whole un protected stretch of track along QQ before the actual entrance to the portal, so some drunkie can just go over the curb, skipping all the bollards. 

On 3/21/2018 at 11:44 AM, Doppelkupplung said:

Update: the pass was rejected by 65.5% of students (myself included) in a vote this week. I wonder if any of the other universities in the GTA will hold a vote on a pass like this.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/03/28/u-of-t-students-reject-discounted-ttc-pass.html

1 hour ago, WMATAC40LF said:

Update: the pass was rejected by 65.5% of students (myself included) in a vote this week. I wonder if any of the other universities in the GTA will hold a vote on a pass like this.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/03/28/u-of-t-students-reject-discounted-ttc-pass.html

Yep just saw the article. UTMSU got the MiWay U-Pass for us. Its hella handy; really grateful for it.

Next step would be GO for some unis like Mac, UOIT and what not, but I think that might be asking too much. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WMATAC40LF said:

I'm not surprised. I'll expect a similar result from Ryerson or George Browns. Many students take the GO downtown and would save money by walking from Union. This U pass would work great in cities with one transit system but forcing student GO riders to pay for something they don't need isn't going to fly. They still would need to pay for GO on top.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

I'm not surprised. I'll expect a similar result from Ryerson or George Browns. Many students take the GO downtown and would save money by walking from Union. This U pass would work great in cities with one transit system but forcing student GO riders to pay for something they don't need isn't going to fly. They still would need to pay for GO on top.

Also, a considerable chunk of UTSG kids are wealthy foreigners. They have cars they drive around everywhere. Same for Rye too. They won't need a pass. 

2 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

1 hour ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Also, a considerable chunk of UTSG kids are wealthy foreigners. They have cars they drive around everywhere. Same for Rye too. They won't need a pass. 

I say the contrary, as a current (soon to be ex) Ryerson student there are a lot of students who do make use of the TTC to get to and from Ryerson, I'd be shocked if the U-Pass gets voted down.

4 minutes ago, jordankcw said:

I say the contrary, as a current (soon to be ex) Ryerson students there are a lot of students who do make use of the TTC to get to and from Ryerson, I'd be shocked if the U-Pass gets voted down.

It would be interesting to see the results later this year

• Like 1

Changes to TTC's 501/301 Queen route start Sunday

March 29, 2018

Starting this Sunday, April 1, through Sunday, June 24, minor adjustments to the TTC's 501/301 Queen service will change routing and transfer locations between streetcars and buses.

As of Sunday, streetcars will continue west of Roncesvalles Ave. as far as South Kingsway. Customers traveling further west can transfer to replacement buses at Windermere Ave. and The Queensway or at Ellis Ave. and The Queensway. See attached map.

Replacement buses will run as far west as Long Branch Loop.

The Humber Loop remains closed to customers while construction continues until June 24 when full streetcar service between Neville Park Loop and Long Branch Loop is scheduled to return.
=================================================================

Vintage and current TTC streetcars set to roll in Easter parade

March 29, 2018

TTC vehicles, vintage and modern, will once again join the annual Toronto Beaches Easter Parade this Sun., Apr. 1 at 2 p.m.

The parade runs along Queen St. E. from Munro Park Ave. to Woodbine Ave.

One of the TTC's new accessible streetcars will join a refurbished CLRV streetcar, along with the historic Peter Witt streetcar, which served Toronto residents from 1921 until 1963, and the classic PCC streetcar that was the backbone of the TTC's streetcar fleet for several decades starting in 1938. The final PCC was retired from service in 1995.

During the parade, the 501 Queen streetcar route will turn back at Kingston Rd. starting at 1 p.m. The 64 Main and 92 Woodbine South buses offer service nearest the parade route but will also be on diversion for the duration. Visit ttc.ca for more details.

Regular service resumes when the parade ends at approximately 5 p.m.

Re: U-Pass

U of T has a lot of students in residence, and as mentioned they have a very strong international program. The St George campus downtown likely doesn't have a lot of people using the TTC to commute because most of them live within walking distance to the campus. (Although my personal opinion is that it would be highly useful for non-commuting purposes, such as to get to part-time jobs or other social gatherings...)

Ryerson is much more a commuter-based school than U of T, and traditionally Ryerson has had much fewer residence spaces (they don't even guarantee space for 1st year undergrads), so a higher proportion of the student body is living outside the immediate campus area. While many students do take GO, the campus is situated far enough from Union that many still take the subway, and those commuting on GO would probably not be against a U-Pass as this now gives them the flexibility to hop on the subway instead of making the 15-20 minute walk each way.

16 minutes ago, Articulated said:

Re: U-Pass

U of T has a lot of students in residence, and as mentioned they have a very strong international program. The St George campus downtown likely doesn't have a lot of people using the TTC to commute because most of them live within walking distance to the campus. (Although my personal opinion is that it would be highly useful for non-commuting purposes, such as to get to part-time jobs or other social gatherings...)

Ryerson is much more a commuter-based school than U of T, and traditionally Ryerson has had much fewer residence spaces (they don't even guarantee space for 1st year undergrads), so a higher proportion of the student body is living outside the immediate campus area. While many students do take GO, the campus is situated far enough from Union that many still take the subway, and those commuting on GO would probably not be against a U-Pass as this now gives them the flexibility to hop on the subway instead of making the 15-20 minute walk each way.

Are there any plans for TTC presto fare caps? If so, would it be TTC ride based or payment based? If ride based, then prices could be capped off significantly for those using GO.