TTC in the news

buschic

To add to the previous post:

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2018/02/12/mayor-john-tory-announces-10-point-plan-to-alleviate-ttc-crowding.html

Plan involves adding two extra trains to the morning rush, adjusting maintenance schedules at night time so that the work doesn't conflict with morning rush, or even daytime service. Also adding more staff to the transit operations center to quicken response times to issues. 

However, alot of this has been brought up by the TTC itself before, either for planning or experimentation. 

5 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

To add to the previous post:

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2018/02/12/mayor-john-tory-announces-10-point-plan-to-alleviate-ttc-crowding.html

Plan involves adding two extra trains to the morning rush, adjusting maintenance schedules at night time so that the work doesn't conflict with morning rush, or even daytime service. Also adding more staff to the transit operations center to quicken response times to issues. 

However, alot of this has been brought up by the TTC itself before, either for planning or experimentation. 

everything Tory said, was said by the TTC about 2-3 years ago, quite frankly in order for a maintenance schedule that wouldn't be problematic you'd have to either shut the subway system earlier or open it up later.

If I were making $20/h and was offered a three cent raise for the year, I'd probably be pretty ticked off. $3M added to an operations budget of $2B (yes B!) is a comparable increase.

Here, have this unrelated Futurama clip which is not a political statement by me:

• Haha 1

Trains magazine's Map of the month is all about Toronto.

They screwed things up pretty bad.

According to the map, Sheppard West station is at Finch & Keele, Finch west station is at Jane & Finch, and the rest of the line goes NW from there. And there's more.

See for yourself at around 1:08 in the issue preview video

http://trn.trains.com/magazine/issue-preview/2018/01/march-2018-issue-preview

• Haha 1

On 2/14/2018 at 3:26 PM, Shaun said:

I don't get why they are able to add two trains when the line is already at capacity.  Was it a funding issue that they didn't do this before? 

Is this going to cause more bunching at terminals? 

They're adding two more trains in the AM rush only, which is doable if they move the scheduled short-turn from Glencairn further north.

There's no room to add two more trains in the PM rush.

12 hours ago, Archer said:

They're adding two more trains in the AM rush only, which is doable if they move the scheduled short-turn from Glencairn further north.

But those two trains won't do anything for the capacity of the system per se. They aren't scheduled, they're solely to fill gaps that may arise in service. There will be a momentary improvement in the throughput at say Bloor southbound, but it's only temporary.

Unless the TTC wants to do something drastic, like turning half of the service at Lawrence, there really is no way to decrease headways until ATO/ATC is active on the whole line.

Dan

28 minutes ago, smallspy said:

Unless the TTC wants to do something drastic, like turning half of the service at Lawrence, there really is no way to decrease headways until ATO/ATC is active on the whole line.

And if terminal time can't be sped up, they may need to short-turn trains anyway to really decrease headways.

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

But those two trains won't do anything for the capacity of the system per se. They aren't scheduled, they're solely to fill gaps that may arise in service. There will be a momentary improvement in the throughput at say Bloor southbound, but it's only temporary.

Dan

Is that what they confirmed they would be for? I only saw a brief article on it.

If they're gap trains only instead of scheduled trains, then I'm all for it. One of the worst things the TTC did (IMO) was converting the AM gap trains that existed up until a year ago into scheduled trains.

3 hours ago, Archer said:

Is that what they confirmed they would be for? I only saw a brief article on it.

If they're gap trains only instead of scheduled trains, then I'm all for it. One of the worst things the TTC did (IMO) was converting the AM gap trains that existed up until a year ago into scheduled trains.

They are only gap trains. The first two were converted to service trains in the summer, than the last two were eliminated from the schedule in November as part of the schedule changes leading to the opening of the TYSSE.

4 hours ago, Ed T. said:

And if terminal time can't be sped up, they may need to short-turn trains anyway to really decrease headways.

ATC/ATO will allow them to shorten the amount of time that a train "occupies" the crossovers at the terminals (from a signalling standpoint), allowing them to run trains closer together. But the improvement will only be measured in seconds, not minutes. There won't be a measurable speed improvement, as those are fixed by the physical characteristics of the crossovers.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Kid from York U thought he'd try being Bond out of Skyfall.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ttc-investigating-video-of-apparent-stunt-on-subway-train-1.3820112

Guy says he didn't perform the stunts on the TTC...I'll let you guys see for yourself from the video. Those red seats have me thinking MTA...

Its too bad he didnt meet his new friend close by called the third rail. That would've jolted some common sense into his immature head.

• Haha 2