TTC in the news

buschic

9 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Do we eliminate all midblock stops cause people might decide to cross the road? 

So far the only one coming to that particular conclusion, is you.

I pass the stop in question frequently, and it is bloody dark at night. Sign is mounted to a utility pole, so adding a streetlight does not seem unreasonable. The south side (eastbound) stop- the one pictured with the billboard in the background, is the worse of the two. Not even a curb on that side.

the residential developments on the north side in York region have brought pedestrians, but east of tapscott, Steeles Avenue still remains an unlit rural road.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

So far the only one coming to that particular conclusion, is you.

I pass the stop in question frequently, and it is bloody dark at night. Sign is mounted to a utility pole, so adding a streetlight does not seem unreasonable. The south side (eastbound) stop- the one pictured with the billboard in the background, is the worse of the two. Not even a curb on that side.

the residential developments on the north side in York region have brought pedestrians, but east of tapscott, Steeles Avenue still remains an unlit rural road.

I always wondered why they didn't install traffic signals at Eastvale when they put the ones in at Tapscott a few years ago. The stops on 53 are (or were) just reviewed and improved as part of the TTC's Bus stop improvements program, I'm surprised this stop didn't raise any concerns.

48 minutes ago, Antarctica said:

Wow, sensitivity much? A pedestrian is hit and seriously injured, and all you can do is make fun of the pedestrian and ask what bus was involved in the accident. FYI, from briefly seeing a clip on the news it was a Nova from Eglinton - no, I did not pause and rewind or enhance to see the number, but it will likely be back in service by next week.

12 minutes ago, wil9402 said:

I always wondered why they didn't install traffic signals at Eastvale when they put the ones in at Tapscott a few years ago. The stops on 53 are (or were) just reviewed and improved as part of the TTC's Bus stop improvements program, I'm surprised this stop didn't raise any concerns.

A major part of the problem along Steeles is the fact that it's along a municipal border, but isn't treated as such. The border between Toronto and York Region is actually on the north sidewalk of Steeles, so the road is 100% Toronto's responsibility (unlike most border roads, where costs get shared 50/50).

Steeles has always been overlooked by Toronto because of the unusual border arrangement (and the fact that many of the road users are not paying taxes to Toronto), so improvements do not occur as often as they should. Same reason why transit improvements are rarely proposed along Steeles, because the politicians each side always sees it as "paying to improve the other side".

Eastvale Drive goes north into York Region but there is no corresponding road on the south side of that intersection. So the City of Markham and/or York Region cannot install a signal there themselves, and must request Toronto to do it, but there may be issues with getting it approved by Toronto because it would not be serving Toronto residents.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Antarctica said:

www.tinder.com

1 hour ago, Bus_Medic said:

Wow. This SO plays into the foamer stereotype it’s comical.

He's being "edgy", take no notice.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Articulated said:

Eastvale Drive goes north into York Region but there is no corresponding road on the south side of that intersection. So the City of Markham and/or York Region cannot install a signal there themselves, and must request Toronto to do it, but there may be issues with getting it approved by Toronto because it would not be serving Toronto residents.

They did install some signals at Steeles/Ninth Line, as Ninth Line starts/ends at Steeles. Even pedestrian buttons and signals were installed when probably no one will ever cross there.

As for the tripoint intersection at the Durham/York/Toronto, apparently it's owned by Durham...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Articulated said:

Wow, sensitivity much? A pedestrian is hit and seriously injured, and all you can do is make fun of the pedestrian and ask what bus was involved in the accident. FYI, from briefly seeing a clip on the news it was a Nova from Eglinton - no, I did not pause and rewind or enhance to see the number, but it will likely be back in service by next week.

A major part of the problem along Steeles is the fact that it's along a municipal border, but isn't treated as such. The border between Toronto and York Region is actually on the north sidewalk of Steeles, so the road is 100% Toronto's responsibility (unlike most border roads, where costs get shared 50/50).

Steeles has always been overlooked by Toronto because of the unusual border arrangement (and the fact that many of the road users are not paying taxes to Toronto), so improvements do not occur as often as they should. Same reason why transit improvements are rarely proposed along Steeles, because the politicians each side always sees it as "paying to improve the other side".

This and the outermost part of Steeles with bus service is still going through farm land.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RevEleven said:
7 minutes ago, RevEleven said:

This and the outermost part of Steeles with bus service is still going through farm land.

Not surprisingy it is the site of massive backups during rush hour. Widening the road through this stretch (and perhaps eliminating the CP grade crossing west of Staines) would be an asset.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Antarctica said:

No idea.  There were 2 TTC Novas in that video where the incident occured but 8711's the only unit number I could make out.  Don't know which one struck the woman at Yonge & Eglinton.

More news happened earlier this week while the topic was temporarily closed:  Man wanted for assaulting women aboard bus

I think it goes for everyone here that when a sad event such as the one discussed above occurs, fleet numbers are the last thing we should be discussing out of respect for the deceased, or injured. Asking for trivial things such as what bus, what route are so useless and insensitive. Seriously, what are you going to gain from it?

This has happened many times on other threads, and some people unfortunately just don't get it. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MiWay0310 said:

I think it goes for everyone here that when a sad event such as the one discussed above occurs, fleet numbers are the last thing we should be discussing out of respect for the deceased, or injured. Asking for trivial things such as what bus, what route are so useless and insensitive. Seriously, what are you going to gain from it?

This has happened many times on other threads, and some people unfortunately just don't get it. 

I know the answer to that trivial thing.  It was on 7762 but I wasn't at STC or on the bus when the incident occured.

1 minute ago, 38 Highland Creek said:

I know the answer to that trivial thing.  It was on 7762 but I wasn't at STC or on the bus when the incident occured.

Way to completely miss their point......... :blink:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kelvin3157 said:

They did install some signals at Steeles/Ninth Line, as Ninth Line starts/ends at Steeles. Even pedestrian buttons and signals were installed when probably no one will ever cross there.

As for the tripoint intersection at the Durham/York/Toronto, apparently it's owned by Durham...

Are you talking about 9th and Steeles or York-Durham? The Durham-Toronto border is along the Rouge River up until just around Twyn Rivers Drive. It then follows a straight line up Scarborough/Pickering Townline then, after Taunton/Steeles becomes York-Durham Line. From regional documents that I saw a few years back, it was outlined that the intersection was split 50/50 between York and Durham, with no Toronto involvement. I'm looking for those now.

1 hour ago, MiWay0310 said:

What did I just say?

Let's be civil here guys. 

1 minute ago, J. Bullock said:

The Durham-Toronto border is along the Rouge River up until just around Twyn Rivers Drive. It then follows a straight line up Scarborough/Pickering Townline then, after Taunton/Steeles becomes York-Durham Line. I think this one may be incorrect. The street signs at Ninth/Steeles are even Toronto brand. Durham's jurisdiction starts well past Ninth Line. Do you have proof that this intersection is part of Durham? Where did you get this information that it was? 

I've seen they used these type of green signs, however they do use Toronto style signals (York uses Grey backed signals, and Durham uses full visor signals). I don't really know if this Wikipedia article is reliable though. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_north–south_roads_in_Toronto#Scarborough-Pickering_Townline

The Albion/Steeles/Highway 50 intersection also uses a mix of Peel Region signals as it was a Peel Region intersection before. In 2012, it was given to Toronto, and they replaced some of the old Peel signals with their own signals and the usual Toronto style signs.

Let's just get back on topic now.

8 minutes ago, J. Bullock said:

If it's wikipedia, chances are it isn't. :lol:

Might as well email the City Of Toronto to see, but they don't use the standard blue signage in some of the side road intersections, so I don't know who has the control over it. The border and jurisdictions there are really weird.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.8479722,-79.1668241,3a,15y,51.31h,92.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sLC7Jip9V8XWBarcqJz3buA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

13 hours ago, Articulated said:

I thought that Toronto and the municipalities to the north  had come to an agreement to share the cost more-or-less 50/50 a couple of years ago. Was that a one-time only situation then?

Dan

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

I thought that Toronto and the municipalities to the north  had come to an agreement to share the cost more-or-less 50/50 a couple of years ago. Was that a one-time only situation then?

I don't know about cost sharing, but the responsibilities as stated are correct. (I have an inside view of these things.)

Toronto is responsible for, and maintains, the entirety of the roadway.

York Region is responsible for, and maintains, sidewalks on the north side.

But Toronto maintains the bus stops on the north side.

Even if costs are shared (and I don't know the details), it's obvious that things will inevitably fall between the cracks in an arrangement like this.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Ed T. said:

I don't know about cost sharing, but the responsibilities as stated are correct. (I have an inside view of these things.)

Toronto is responsible for, and maintains, the entirety of the roadway.

York Region is responsible for, and maintains, sidewalks on the north side.

But Toronto maintains the bus stops on the north side.

Even if costs are shared (and I don't know the details), it's obvious that things will inevitably fall between the cracks in an arrangement like this.

How weird. I was listening to a Chinese radio station talk show host stating that in case of a traffic accident, the border between the jurisdictions lies in the median of the roadway, i.e. York Region Police deals with incidents in the westbound lanes while Toronto Police handles those in the eastbound lanes.

2 hours ago, Transit geek said:

How weird. I was listening to a Chinese radio station talk show host stating that in case of a traffic accident, the border between the jurisdictions lies in the median of the roadway, i.e. York Region Police deals with incidents in the westbound lanes while Toronto Police handles those in the eastbound lanes.

They both respond for the same incident regardless.