TTC in the news

buschic

I’ll defer to the experts, but full height doors may be a non starter due to fire ventilation concerns.

1 hour ago, lip said:

^It depends how you describe sick to be honest. He openly admitted to drug use which is what was causing his behavior; normally i'd hold sympathy for cases where a mental illness was at play but this has nothing to do with that.

Addiction is a disability under the law, yes?

actually you know what? never mind. Expecting empathy from transit enthusiasts is like herding cats. I’ve had vast experience on the subject.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

Addiction is a disability under the law, yes?

actually you know what? never mind. Expecting empathy from transit enthusiasts is like herding cats. I’ve had vast experience on the subject.

Yes, correct it is, but I'll never give someone the benefit of the doubt for repeatedly causing dangerous situations to occur. Much in the same way I wouldnt give an impaired driver the benefit of the doubt in a collision.

2 hours ago, lip said:

Yes, correct it is, but I'll never give someone the benefit of the doubt for repeatedly causing dangerous situations to occur. Much in the same way I wouldnt give an impaired driver the benefit of the doubt in a collision.

Slight bit of difference there. If you're drunk, you still have to make the choice to get behind the wheel.

If you are addicted, however, there becomes a physical and physiological need to get back to that state. And there are many recorded situations of people blacking out or loosing control while in that state.

Dan

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, smallspy said:

Slight bit of difference there. If you're drunk, you still have to make the choice to get behind the wheel.

If you are addicted, however, there becomes a physical and physiological need to get back to that state. And there are many recorded situations of people blacking out or loosing control while in that state.

Dan

Oh there's no doubt about the physical and physiological needs that come with addiction and there comes a point in time where one needs to seek help for their condition. I'm empathetic to addictions, but not in cases where an individual just brags about their condition and is in control enough to post it numerous times on social media which is why in this specific case I have no sympathy towards the man's actions.

18 hours ago, smallspy said:

Dan

It almost sounds like you are suggesting that drunk driving is worse than drugged driving. Impaired is impaired.

18 hours ago, lip said:

Oh there's no doubt about the physical and physiological needs that come with addiction and there comes a point in time where one needs to seek help for their condition. I'm empathetic to addictions, but not in cases where an individual just brags about their condition and is in control enough to post it numerous times on social media which is why in this specific case I have no sympathy towards the man's actions.

Yes, can't agree more.

How many people were inconvenienced by his poor choices? How much money have people lost as a consequence of his actions? Late for work? Late for picking up the kids from daycare and getting charged extra money? Late for a job interview and not getting that job because of it? How much has he cost our health care system because of his actions?

What about all those poor people who had to witness that in person. What about that operator? I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, it's brutal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Getting back to the guy on the platform...he’s not putting anyone’s immediate safety at risk but his own, so I don’t think impaired driving is a suitable comparison in the first place.

19 minutes ago, Turtle said:

It almost sounds like you are suggesting that drunk driving is worse than drugged driving. Impaired is impaired.

Yes, can't agree more.

How many people were inconvenienced by his poor choices? How much money have people lost as a consequence of his actions? Late for work? Late for picking up the kids from daycare and getting charged extra money? Late for a job interview and not getting that job because of it? How much has he cost our health care system because of his actions?

What about all those poor people who had to witness that in person. What about that operator? I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, it's brutal.

Yeah....lock the bastard up & throw away the key...he made me late.

....make him pay...

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

Yeah....lock the bastard up & throw away the key...he made me late.

....make him pay...

That's a good start, make him pay. You get one stupid choice for free, and then if you continue to make them the cost to you gradually rises. Great idea.

I don't think that guy in the instagram post linked in the Toronto Sun article is the same guy that got hit by the train at College. According to the article, he got hit on Dec 14, but that instagram post that mentions getting hit by a train is dated Dec 7.

I must admit that I made a mistake when I posted that.

I wasn't in the right mindset and wasn't thinking. Having had some time to think about it, especially after feedback from other members, I'm disappointed as to why no one on that platform decided to just drag him away from the edge (hear me out on this later on). I understand my initial post's wording may have been misleading; however, I assure you I've thought over it again. 

Everyone who has posted since has made very valid points, and I'll address them here. First however, we must rule out the Instagram post as a reference a) because the dates of the incident and the date of the post do not add up and b ) looking through that IG account's previous posts, the man in the posts doesn't resemble the man on the platform, rendering the IG post in the article useless. 

3 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Getting back to the guy on the platform...he’s not putting anyone’s immediate safety at risk but his own, so I don’t think impaired driving is a suitable comparison in the first place.

@Bus_Medic Sarcasm was a mistake and uncalled for, apologies. 

Agreed on the safety risk. The report supposedly says that he wasn't under the influence of any substances, so its likely he's mentally ill. 

On 12/23/2017 at 1:18 AM, lip said:

^It depends how you describe sick to be honest. He openly admitted to drug use which is what was causing his behavior; normally i'd hold sympathy for cases where a mental illness was at play but this has nothing to do with that.

3 hours ago, Turtle said:

The whole impaired/drunk driving thing should be disregarded due to a) police report and b ) the invalidity of the IG post. The instagram post date does not match up with the date of the incident. Additionally, the police report says that he wasn't under the influence. His behavior earlier may be due to his illness. 

This is conflicting in my opinion. Yes, you're absolutely right; however, how much effort would it have taken for someone to just drag him back, rather than just watch (more on this below)? Also, consider the fact that he may be mentally ill. 

I agree with you here. This is something that nobody should ever have to see; least of all an operator who fears that this could happen at anytime when they pull into a station at speed. 

At the end of the day, it boils down to this. There were a solid 7 seconds before the man got hit by the train. For that duration, his attention was solely directed towards the inbound train, and none at all at his surroundings. Ignore the excuses, such as the risk of being pulled off (watch the video closely, and you'll see that this was unlikely) and you can easily tell that it would not have been difficult for someone to just grab him and pull him back. Agreed, this is easy for me to say, as someone speaking from behind a screen; however, if you watch the video closely, hopefully some can understand what I mean. 

Instead, people just keep filming, with a man just walking right by the subject as he lands on the ground. This is yet another disappointing show of inability to act, especially to help a human being in this case. 

2 hours ago, Turtle said:

Yes, can't agree more.

Welcome to CPTDB where the only thing that outranks human life besides money is a misplaced bus.<_<

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, MiWay0310 said:

Agreed on the safety risk. The report supposedly says that he wasn't under the influence of any substances, so its likely he's mentally ill. 

It doesn't matter if it isn't accurate or unbiased, the Toronto Sun will publish anything if it will get them reads.

The whole impaired/drunk driving thing should be disregarded due to a) police report and b ) the invalidity of the IG post. The instagram post date does not match up with the date of the incident. Additionally, the police report says that he wasn't under the influence. His behavior earlier may be due to his illness. 

This is conflicting in my opinion. Yes, you're absolutely right; however, how much effort would it have taken for someone to just drag him back, rather than just watch (more on this below)? Also, consider the fact that he may be mentally ill.

That's a big thing to expect of people. A huge risk, not just to your own physical safety. There are so many things that can go wrong:

1. he grabs you and brings you down with him, or throws you down to safe himself when he realizes that he is losing his balance

2. or you go to grab on to him as he is falling, and you fail. To most witnesses and camera angles it may look like you pushed him, now you have to defend yourself legally and the Toronto Sun gets a hold of your name and does a article about your life and how you were a normal person that just snapped and pushed a guy in front of a train at Christmas time

3. or you are successful in pulling him back, he turns around and beats the pulp out of you

4. or you are successful in pulling him back, he then claims that you tried to push him and gets you arrested because the witnesses support his claim

Instead, people just keep filming, with a man just walking right by the subject as he lands on the ground. This is yet another disappointing show of inability to act, especially to help a human being in this case. 

There was a supervisor on that platform too btw, you see and hear him at the 10 second mark in the WorldStarHipHop hosted version. If you listen carefully you hear somebody saying "have a priority" at that point when the supervisor is walking towards him. The supervisor has his hand on his chest with his mouth down towards what could be a radio handset.

So if you want to place blame on why anybody didn't do anything to help the guy not get hit, he was the one with the most tools at his disposal to do something about it without getting directly involved before it happened. The TTC and the Police have all this information, plus the video from the platform cameras and the front facing camera on that train. They have more information than some cellphone video taken at a bad angle.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Antarctica said:

So much for the freedom of speech. The LightSpell art at Pioneer Village Stn. may be censored over the fears of hate speech (not limited to racism, Islamophobia, Antisemitism, xenophobia, etc...)

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/ttc-turns-the-lights-out-on-subway-word-art-installation/article37427145/

You do realize that "Freedom of Speech" does not give you free reign to say whatever the hell you want in Canada, right?

Dan

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Antarctica said:

So much for the freedom of speech. The LightSpell art at Pioneer Village Stn. may be censored over the fears of hate speech (not limited to racism, Islamophobia, Antisemitism, xenophobia, etc...)

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/ttc-turns-the-lights-out-on-subway-word-art-installation/article37427145/

Maybe you should look up freedom of speech on google.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

You do realize that "Freedom of Speech" does not give you free reign to say whatever the hell you want in Canada, right?

Dan

16 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Maybe you should look up freedom of speech on google.

It all depends on one's definition of free speech: Judicially, free speech means that the government cannot censor you for what you say. Here, the government isn't, and neither is the TTC. You can still chant whatever one's racist mind thinks of, but the TTC won't allow it to be perpetuated through a large medium. They should really just scroll through the weather or something with this thing. 

2 minutes ago, 63 Ossington said:

What if they have a pre-approved word bank which people can select from, with a censor that doesn't allow specific arrangements of words that form hateful speech?

That may be what comes out of all this, but it looks like the two sides aren’t at that stage yet.

Just now, 63 Ossington said:

What if they have a pre-approved word bank which people can select from, with a censor that doesn't allow specific arrangements of words that form hateful speech?

I could use:

F***, F*ck, F**k, *uck, -uck, Fnck, Fuc, Fuk, etc etc etc just for one word. Imagine what it would be like if every word that could be used in a form of profanity/hate speech was utilized. Maybe have an app that notifies a station CSA when someone wants to change it and have them approve it wirelessly. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Streety McCarface said:

I could use:

F***, F*ck, F**k, *uck, -uck, Fnck, Fuc, Fuk, etc etc etc just for one word. Imagine what it would be like if every word that could be used in a form of profanity/hate speech was utilized. Maybe have an app that notifies a station CSA when someone wants to change it and have them approve it wirelessly. 

Or imagine if the inputee uses a different language to be displayed such as:

"cyka bylat idi nahui"

How would they know what it would mean then? Google translate? Hmm...

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Or imagine if the inputee uses a different language to be displayed such as:

"cyka bylat idi nahui"

How would they know what it would mean then? Google translate? Hmm...

At least the screens have not yet installed Cyrillic or Greek alphabets. Add Yahoo for starters.

6 hours ago, Antarctica said:

WHat ever happened to good old bricks, concrete and bathroom tiles. <_<

16 hours ago, Streety McCarface said:

It all depends on one's definition of free speech: Judicially, free speech means that the government cannot censor you for what you say. Here, the government isn't, and neither is the TTC. You can still chant whatever one's racist mind thinks of, but the TTC won't allow it to be perpetuated through a large medium. They should really just scroll through the weather or something with this thing. 

You really should look up the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and do some reading. Because you very obviously don't have the slightest clue what you are talking about. The only definition that counts is the one that's included in Section 2.

Your Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Expression does not allow you to trample the rights of others, or infringe on their ways of life.

Dan

• A. Wong locked this topic
  • 1604 unlocked this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Antarctica said:

Forgot to post this on Sunday but turns out one stop needs to be re-evaulated after one woman died when she got off the 53 bus and struck afterwards. RIP to her :(

http://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/01/11/friends-family-angry-took-womans-death-ttc-assess-bus-stops-safety/

Do we eliminate all midblock stops cause people might decide to cross the road?