TTC in the news

buschic

33 minutes ago, Antarctica said:

If anyone saw the red stickers on any TTC vehicles including subway cars over the summer, it's staying there forever.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/transportation/2017/09/18/ttc-spending-50000-on-decals-trumpeting-its-transit-award.html

$50,000 spent slapping the APTA Award on every single bus, subway, streetcar on this PR campaign.

Yes and buses that are soon to be retiring, and unrefurbished RT cars.

3 hours ago, Streety McCarface said:

If TTC would just get into the 21th centruy and buy bidirectional streetcars instead of enlarging that loop.

If they must get rid of the tracks, it's better for them to install a moving sidewalk than a cable car. Less bottleneck and chances it will break down.

5 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

If TTC would just get into the 21th centruy and buy bidirectional streetcars instead of enlarging that loop.

If they must get rid of the tracks, it's better for them to install a moving sidewalk than a cable car. Less bottleneck and chances it will break down.

According to the article, they'd only be able to install one moving sidewalk. I would think three would be a minimum for this option to even be considered. 

I say three because 1: traffic really bad at this loop in both directions at rush hour, and 2: if one moving walkway breaks down, it can't be repaired while Union Station is open. 

With regards to Bi-directional streetcars, while that may be true, Bi-directional streetcars use up valuable space on the train that can be used for passengers. I would also think that rebuilding every single loop to allow for their use would be far more expensive than the second platform at Union Station. Also, since the current system still uses trolley poles, so wouldn't that be quite impossible without requiring a lot of time to lower an existing pole and put up one in the opposite direction. Finally, if I remember correctly, the Waterfront LRT is supposed to not terminate at Union Station, but continue all the way through to either the west or East. I would think a loop here makes far more sense as it can provide through service and still allow short turns to occur without an excessive number of switches. 

11 hours ago, Streety McCarface said:

With regards to Bi-directional streetcars, while that may be true, Bi-directional streetcars use up valuable space on the train that can be used for passengers. I would also think that rebuilding every single loop to allow for their use would be far more expensive than the second platform at Union Station. Also, since the current system still uses trolley poles, so wouldn't that be quite impossible without requiring a lot of time to lower an existing pole and put up one in the opposite direction. Finally, if I remember correctly, the Waterfront LRT is supposed to not terminate at Union Station, but continue all the way through to either the west or East. I would think a loop here makes far more sense as it can provide through service and still allow short turns to occur without an excessive number of switches. 

I have never understood the objection that loops would have to be rebuilt to accommodate bidirectional cars. Just rebuild the ones you want to and don't rebuild those you don't. Unidi cars have to do wasteful on-street loops or access off-street loops. The latter loops are disruptive - they require grade separation or crossing traffic lanes whereas bidi cars can turn back within the ROW without blighting corners of blocks like Gunns or Coxwell-Queen.

By the time bidi cars are acquired the OCS would be fully panto-compatible.

However, the switches argument is more pertinent given the TTC's record on that item.

7 hours ago, dowlingm said:

I have never understood the objection that loops would have to be rebuilt to accommodate bidirectional cars. Just rebuild the ones you want to and don't rebuild those you don't. Unidi cars have to do wasteful on-street loops or access off-street loops. The latter loops are disruptive - they require grade separation or crossing traffic lanes whereas bidi cars can turn back within the ROW without blighting corners of blocks like Gunns or Coxwell-Queen.

By the time bidi cars are acquired the OCS would be fully panto-compatible.

However, the switches argument is more pertinent given the TTC's record on that item.

I would think all streetcar turnaround locations would have to be moved off-street if bidirectional streetcars utilised switch turnaround locations because most streetcars run on-street, and having one stop and turn around in mixed traffic is just an accident waiting to happen. I wouldn't be so sure about the whole system being panto compatible; it's taken the TTC like 10 years just to do the Harbourfront line. 

2 hours ago, Streety McCarface said:

I would think all streetcar turnaround locations would have to be moved off-street if bidirectional streetcars utilised switch turnaround locations because most streetcars run on-street, and having one stop and turn around in mixed traffic is just an accident waiting to happen. I wouldn't be so sure about the whole system being panto compatible; it's taken the TTC like 10 years just to do the Harbourfront line. 

Well...no. In fact, you are describing what exactly you'd see if you went to Melbourne, Australia.

Here is a tram at the Brunswick East terminus of route 96 - a pair of stub-end tracks in the median of the road with a single lane on either side.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@-37.7674633,144.9802208,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipMyjaaJFafh2KI2ZYL-PZ-d4mPjxG8_CHxbFDtu!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipMyjaaJFafh2KI2ZYL-PZ-d4mPjxG8_CHxbFDtu%3Dw203-h152-k-no!7i1440!8i1080

Here is an E-class tram, a Bombardier Flexity Swift very similar to our LFLRVs, at the same location, showing the track situation from the opposite side.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@-37.7674633,144.9802208,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipOrUdL2EHa0gjRgYbQCivy2MHG2_596o9Isalml!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipOrUdL2EHa0gjRgYbQCivy2MHG2_596o9Isalml%3Dw188-h106-k-no!7i2048!8i1152

12 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

Well...no. In fact, you are describing what exactly you'd see if you went to Melbourne, Australia.

Here is a tram at the Brunswick East terminus of route 96 - a pair of stub-end tracks in the median of the road with a single lane on either side.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@-37.7674633,144.9802208,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipMyjaaJFafh2KI2ZYL-PZ-d4mPjxG8_CHxbFDtu!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipMyjaaJFafh2KI2ZYL-PZ-d4mPjxG8_CHxbFDtu%3Dw203-h152-k-no!7i1440!8i1080

Here is an E-class tram, a Bombardier Flexity Swift very similar to our LFLRVs, at the same location, showing the track situation from the opposite side.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@-37.7674633,144.9802208,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipOrUdL2EHa0gjRgYbQCivy2MHG2_596o9Isalml!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipOrUdL2EHa0gjRgYbQCivy2MHG2_596o9Isalml%3Dw188-h106-k-no!7i2048!8i1152

But both of those are in divided areas segregated from regular traffic. Trying to put something like that on Queen (maybe the queensway), Carlton, etc without an existing right of way is just asking for trouble, especially considering how drivers are in this city; people would complain about bottlenecking. 

• 3 weeks later...

http://ttc.ca/News/2017/October/10_09_17NR_Tom_Dedes.jsp

Statement on the passing of TTC employee Tom Dedes

October 10, 2017

Tom Dedes, 50, an 18-year veteran of the TTC and a subway track maintenance employee, succumbed to injuries today sustained after a workplace incident in the early hours of Oct. 1. He died at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre where he'd been rushed following the incident.

Just after 2 a.m. on Oct. 1, Tom and his co-workers were off-loading equipment from a TTC pickup truck onto a workcar at McCowan Yard in preparation of maintenance work to be performed on Line 3 Scarborough later that night. When the workcar was finished being loaded, it moved off under the power of a locomotive. There is no traction power rail where the workcar was situated. Tom was positioned between the pickup truck and the workcar when the tail swing of the workcar struck and pinned Tom against the pickup truck, causing significant internal injuries.

The Ontario Ministry of Labour was immediately notified and their investigation is ongoing. A parallel TTC investigation is also ongoing.

"On behalf of the entire TTC family, I send my deepest condolences to Tom's parents and his partner, Gina, at this very difficult time," said TTC CEO Andy Byford. "Our thoughts are also with Tom's co-workers as we all come to terms with this tragic and shocking event."

The TTC is co-operating, fully, with the Ministry of Labour to understand what happened and what needs to be done to ensure such a tragedy never happens again.

Grief counsellors are being made available for Tom's co-workers. The TTC will consult with Tom's family regarding any special arrangements they may have for his funeral.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
On 16/11/2017 at 10:34 AM, Streety McCarface said:

But he won't supply the funds for the project. Unfortunately it won't happen. 

The mayor doesn't sit down with the chair of TTC and say something about this a couple of days before the budget meeting without knowing how he'll be paying for it.

3 hours ago, nfitz said:

The mayor doesn't sit down with the chair of TTC and say something about this a couple of days before the budget meeting without knowing how he'll be paying for it.

The mayor has wanted a lot of things, including fare freezes. That doesn't mean he has paid for them (as time has shown). Don't get too excited just yet. 

On 17/11/2017 at 10:53 PM, Streety McCarface said:

The mayor has wanted a lot of things, including fare freezes. That doesn't mean he has paid for them (as time has shown). Don't get too excited just yet. 

I don't recall a joint mayor/TTC Chair announcement about fare freezes.

The TTC Budget committee approved 2-hour transfer on Friday. We'll see what happens at the full TTC meeting next week, but I'd be surprised if it's anything other than approval.