TTC in the news

buschic

We would have a truly soulless city if Minnan-Wong had his way. How many public amenities would he have vetoed down the decades if he had been a councillor in those eras.

That said, I don't think the choices need be:

• a transit museum owned/run by the TTC
  • no transit museum

TTC is not the only transportation agency in Toronto, or (even though I would strip Parks and Wreck of the responsibility tomorrow) are they the only City agency running a transportation service. But just imagine the TTC's attitude if Toronto Culture is given the remit to create and operate the museum with the assistance of academics and folks like TRHA. I bet lots of things will be "forgotten" or "lost" or "confidential".

On 2/20/2017 at 3:10 PM, raptorjays said:

http://www.blogto.com/city/2017/02/theres-now-wi-fi-54-ttc-stations/

Do you think the TTC can install wifi at all stations until May?

I saw there's no sign of installation at Islington

I passed by Islington today after avoiding the Bloor line in a while now. What do you mean no sign of installation? There is a WiFi access point broadcaster already installed on the platform on the west end. Should be enabled within a month or so since they got to this stage.

44 minutes ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Minnan-Wong: “Presto is a lemon and we were forced to buy this lemon by the provincial government...”

Heh heh heh...

And I'm from a city where a similar system have been used for more than just transit fares for more than 20 years.

16 minutes ago, smallspy said:

I wonder when they commission the report showing how much money they lose daily due to faulty fareboxes.

While I'm sure there is an occasional faulty farebox, I've never actually witnessed one.

But faulty Presto readers were a daily occurrence (though it seems to have significantly improved in the last 2 weeks on the streetcars). And at least once or twice a week I'd see a vehicle with both readers out. I've already had a couple of free rides because of this - and I use a Metropass most of the time.

Just now, nfitz said:

While I'm sure there is an occasional faulty farebox, I've never actually witnessed one.

But faulty Presto readers were a daily occurrence (though it seems to have significantly improved in the last 2 weeks on the streetcars). And at least once or twice a week I'd see a vehicle with both readers out. I've already had a couple of free rides because of this - and I use a Metropass most of the time.

There are broken fareboxes on a daily basis, may not be at the same level as Presto readers but it does happen just like broken down vehicles its a fact of life. 

Two weird TTC happenings this week:

6 hours ago, nfitz said:

It's not common, but it's not uncommon, either. I probably see almost one a month.

But here's the rub about it - Presto purchases are still a small portion of the overall daily fare mix. Until fairly recently, a farebox was responsible for fully half of the daily revenue intake. A single non-functioning farebox would have a much larger implication on the total revenue than a single non-functioning Presto machine.

Dan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

It's not common, but it's not uncommon, either. I probably see almost one a month.

But here's the rub about it - Presto purchases are still a small portion of the overall daily fare mix. Until fairly recently, a farebox was responsible for fully half of the daily revenue intake. A single non-functioning farebox would have a much larger implication on the total revenue than a single non-functioning Presto machine.

Maybe I've seen one or two broken fareboxes in 2017, maybe not (I use Metropass). I guess when the farebox is broken there's something taped over the opening? But seeing a bus or streetcar with both Presto readers down is at least weekly--and again, I use Metropass, so it's when I notice the red lights on the Presto reader.

The question is whether the Presto readers will be working more reliably by the time the TTC is making the big push to move people to Presto. One can hope. But Presto readers are a much more complex system that a simple electromechanical farebox that's been perfected over the last 50 years. And unlike fareboxes, there's always the temptation to do software upgrades to the Presto readers, and software upgrades have a way of introducing novel bugs.

11 hours ago, nfitz said:

That's because faulty farebox has to be repaired first before entering service.  Sometimes they broke while in service, change off will be provided if possible.

2 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Maybe I've seen one or two broken fareboxes in 2017, maybe not (I use Metropass). I guess when the farebox is broken there's something taped over the opening? But seeing a bus or streetcar with both Presto readers down is at least weekly--and again, I use Metropass, so it's when I notice the red lights on the Presto reader.

I don't want to go into too much detail but the flap won't open if the farefox is broken.  

14 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

That's because faulty farebox has to be repaired first before entering service.  Sometimes they broke while in service, change off will be provided if possible.

Not in the least. I've seen several cases where a vehicle began service with a faulty farebox.

If the options are not running a bus at all, and running one with a faulty farebox, which do you think they'd choose? Spoiler - a farebox is not piece of safety equipment.

Dan

• Like 1

Usually the paper fares from YRT always jam the farebox.  When TTC introduced the new paper fare, they jammed some of the farebox.  

Revenue is important. One time the farebox broke once while I was deadheading to Pape.  Supervisor told me to turn back to the garage to have it fix.  Didn't take that long.  About 20 minutes should fix the problem.  Missing a bus for a short period of time on 25 won't make a huge difference.  I guess it depends on the situation and which supervisor you talked to.