TTC in the news

buschic

13 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Rocketman and Transit App (my main app) use GPS I give permission to access my exact location. Just have to make sure that cellular is on to get a more accurate location. I have the iPhone SE and haven't had any issues with Transit App. 

It is just the TTCBusTracker app I think is the one where you would have to input the bus number. It was years ago when I got the referral on Twitter, but I declined since I said "I don't have time to look for a stop number. I should just know based on location." 

Just to be clear, the official TTC app is "TTCBusTracker"? And it doesn't use GPS, you have to enter a bunch of stuff to get the right route and stop?

4 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Okay, that doesn't seem to be the official TTC tracker.

What I'm asking is, if you follow the directions on the TTC poles about "Get the App", is the app that you get any good? I have no idea, not having a smartphone.

The app is called "Transit App" and it works fine. Uses GPS and data/wifi, which displays predictions for a list of nearby routes based on your current location (automatically). And there is an offline mode which displays the scheduled times/arrival times. It doesn't offer more detailed info like vehicle or run numbers, but the average rider doesn't care about that stuff. It also offers service advisories if the TTC officially sends one out, as well as a route diagram with the tracking vehicles. However for subway trains, the tracking can be about one to a few minutes behind sometimes.

It's also not limited to the TTC; also has GO and UPX, as well as BikeShare inventories, and probably other TA's.

9 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Just to be clear, the official TTC app is "TTCBusTracker"? And it doesn't use GPS, you have to enter a bunch of stuff to get the right route and stop?

TTC doesn't have an official app. All apps available on mobile devices are third party. 

If you are referring to the live transit map, Nextbus is the one you mean. It works well on both web version (laptop and desktop) and mobile devices with a mobile interface.

https://www.nextbus.com/?a=ttc#!/ttc/5/5_1_5B/6328

4 hours ago, 63 Ossington said:

The app is called "Transit App" and it works fine. Uses GPS and data/wifi, which displays predictions for a list of nearby routes based on your current location (automatically). And there is an offline mode which displays the scheduled times/arrival times. It doesn't offer more detailed info like vehicle or run numbers, but the average rider doesn't care about that stuff. It also offers service advisories if the TTC officially sends one out, as well as a route diagram with the tracking vehicles. However for subway trains, the tracking can be about one to a few minutes behind sometimes.

It's also not limited to the TTC; also has GO and UPX, as well as BikeShare inventories, and probably other TA's.

They do have it for other transit agencies. 125 cities is what the app claims to support. I use it all the time when I visit Ottawa's OC Transpo. Especially if I am in an unfamiliar area of the city or not close to the rapid transit route. 

On 2016-12-25 at 10:23 PM, GTAmissions1 said:

TTC doesn't have an official app. All apps available on mobile devices are third party.

The new pole displays say "get the app". Are you saying that, if I followed the TTC's instructions as printed on their pole info cards, I would simply be choosing from a bunch of random third-party apps?

I find it hard to believe that the TTC could, as a matter of policy, pull the detailed schedules from stop poles and not have an "official" app to replace them. But I suppose it's possible.

Most people who follow the instructions on the new pole cards aren't going to be transit fans, and a chunk of them won't be app connoisseurs. If they follow the instructions without coming to CPTDB or elsewhere for further information, do they automatically and easily get a nice, usable app?

I'm running a totally non-smart phone (which still has to have more computing capacity than the Apollo 11 Command Module) so I'm not about to try it out myself.

2 hours ago, Ed T. said:

The new pole displays say "get the app". Are you saying that, if I followed the TTC's instructions as printed on their pole info cards, I would simply be choosing from a bunch of random third-party apps?

I find it hard to believe that the TTC could, as a matter of policy, pull the detailed schedules from stop poles and not have an "official" app to replace them. But I suppose it's possible.

1 hour ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Despite not having an officially TTC app, Transit App and TTC have a strong partnership with Transit's info even appearing on TTC's home page

Instead of making their own app, the TTC (in partnership with blogTO) did a contest for customers to choose the best app in 2014. The top 3 choices were Rocketman, Moovit and Transit App. Transit App won and the TTC agreed to promote it for a year, however it has been 2 1/2 years now and they are continuing to still.

1 hour ago, wil9402 said:

Instead of making their own app, the TTC (in partnership with blogTO) did a contest for customers to choose the best app in 2014. The top 3 choices were Rocketman, Moovit and Transit App. Transit App won and the TTC agreed to promote it for a year, however it has been 2 1/2 years now and they are continuing to still.

Nice.

Maybe the TTC should crowdsource printed schedule updates too.

Might as well walk, the streetcar will be late and stuffed to overflowing anyway.

:lol:

On 2016-12-31 at 8:24 AM, leylandvictory2 said:

it is not hard to locate the switch on the fan.  it is located at the bottom of the fan.  I can almost rule out that theory.

It's hard to reach that switch while seated. Trying to reach for that switch while the bus is in motion could cause the wheel to be tugged sideways. So it is a possible explanation for why the bus hit the pole.

• Like 1

On 2016-12-30 at 11:58 PM, Witenite said:

Rumor was operator was distracted looking for a switch/button for a fan ?  Take it with a grain of salt.

That is exactly what happened. Operator was reaching for the overhead vent, hit a bump/pothole, lost grip on wheel and bus veered to the right.

Dan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the end, we all know the TTC is going to back the McCowan alignment which allows the subway to be extended to Sheppard. Honestly if the TTC is going to build this extension, they might as well spend a bit more and get it to Sheppard. It will cut the number of buses being stuck in traffic getting from Malvern over the 401 to STC. Not doing so cause it hurts SmartTrack ridership is the biggest BS excuse.

In the meanwhile, whoever proposed the big bend by tunnelling under STC to Brimley is properly adding to the delay of the report. Stupid politics. We also now know it won't go forward. They probably need to spend time justifying it too.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-story/7054785-scarborough-subway-route-won-t-use-big-bend-alignment-councillor-says/

Baeremaeker can also f*** off. He now supports the Sheppard Subway extension claiming it would cost the same as the LRT because it includes a tunnel. Is he an idiot?

After tunnelling under the Don Valley, difference in cost between light rail and a subway on Sheppard is “minuscule at best,” he said.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, raptorjays said:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/01/12/ttc-subway-commuters-faced-major-delays-on-line-2-on-thursday.html

I know those incidents were caused by two stupid individuals, but I think TTC need to find the way to prevent those delays or at least finding the way to shorten those delays

So instead of complaining....what do you propose they do or change to make those delays shorter?

Dan