TTC in the news

buschic

17 hours ago, FlyerD901 said:

So for those of you who said it needs to get the attention of the media and did so did a good job. Its unfortunate it had to get this blown up for the Commission to do something. Apparently last year on the BD the Ops said they were experiencing the same thing.

It was definitely an issue last year, it just wasnt as widespread as it is this year.

The thing that surprises me is that there hasnt been an increase in the number of delays related to the A/C issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lip said:

It was definitely an issue last year, it just wasnt as widespread as it is this year.

The thing that surprises me is that there hasnt been an increase in the number of delays related to the A/C issues.

I pretty sure agree with you 100%. At least they should have taken the ones without an A/C out of service until its resolved without customers complaining this issue. 

12 hours ago, 21 Brimley said:

I pretty sure agree with you 100%. At least they should have taken the ones without an A/C out of service until its resolved without customers complaining this issue. 

If they take all of the units that don't have functioning A/C out of service, then they don't have enough to make service. How does that help?

Dan

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

If they take all of the units that don't have functioning A/C out of service, then they don't have enough to make service. How does that help?

This was a problem last summer. At that point they could have taken them out of service and dealt with it.

Clearly TTC has screwed up massively on routine maintenance - particularly with some of the same units being reported late last year, still not having working A/C.

4 hours ago, nfitz said:

This was a problem last summer. At that point they could have taken them out of service and dealt with it.

Clearly TTC has screwed up massively on routine maintenance - particularly with some of the same units being reported late last year, still not having working A/C.

This is what worries me. Are we sliding down into the same pattern of deferred maintenance that we had in the early 1990s?

Sure, it's only A/C. But it may just be the tip of the iceberg, too.

Dan

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, smallspy said:

This is what worries me. Are we sliding down into the same pattern of deferred maintenance that we had in the early 1990s?

I share those same concerns. We have gone though this path of requests to reduce operational costs once before with Ford, and Tory is doing the exact same thing.

This is exactly why I was concerned with some of the policies implemented by Tory with the TTC (specifically the free child fares). I dont care how small the lost revenue is, some of that revenue could have ultimately been used to rectify issues like this quicker. Providing service is more important than a goodwill gesture.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/07/24/ttc-faces-perfect-storm-with-costs-rising-ridership-slumping.html

Another article about slumping ridership for the TTC..

They are thinking about increasing fare again, but I don't think that solution will work anymore.

I think fare increase can give them a relief on their budget for short term, but definitely not for long term. 

The problem is, that they've been doing it pretty much every year and their riders are tired of hearing that news..

I saw an article one months ago and the metropass sales declined compared to previous years.

Also, I said it before, but free fare for the kids 12 and under was the biggest mistake.

Hope they can find other solutions other than fare increase or service cuts..

I think the province should increase the subsidy.... which is way too low

You know, I can live with 15 or 20 minute service after 10:00pm on some of these "10 minute or better routes" with the obvious exceptions routes like King and Dufferin to name a few. It's not the worst to have them a little far apart as at least having service and options will still prevail.

10 minutes ago, leylandvictory2 said:

kill 169 on Sunday!

I think there would be a public outrage if the poor performing routes were taken out. The public or media rather see cuts to busy routes than leaving areas unserved. 

They should rethink of the 10 min network. The 32A was operating with 30 min on Sunday early mornings now operate with 10 min headways. 

1 hour ago, Xtrazsteve said:

I think there would be a public outrage if the poor performing routes were taken out. The public or media rather see cuts to busy routes than leaving areas unserved. 

They should rethink of the 10 min network. The 32A was operating with 30 min on Sunday early mornings now operate with 10 min headways. 

Then think some of the routes like 28 BAYVIEW SOUTH, 162 LAWRENCE-DONWAY and perhaps 121 FORT YORK-ESPLANADE for example. 

1 hour ago, leylandvictory2 said:

kill 169 on Sunday!

No thanks. How would people react if there is no 169A? When the 169 ran everyday except late evenings, Saturday nights and Sundays after Ford cut service in 2011, people relied on other routes on the walking distance. I'd rather see the 21C cut during late evenings (maybe Sundays) between Scarborough Centre and Steeles since the route is pretty empty just north of STC. 

Same with the 121 FORT YORK-ESPLANADE. I'd rather see service ending at 10pm on weekdays, Saturdays and 7pm on Sundays. I'd rode that route and it's bizarrely empty with fewer customers boarding it.

ICYMI:

July 28, 2016:
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/07/28/police-seek-man-who-tossed-coffee-at-bus-driver.html - A man tossed a coffee on the operator in Vaughan via the 105 DUFFERIN NORTH line.

July 29, 2016:
http://www.citynews.ca/2016/07/29/man-struck-and-killed-after-crash-involving-ttc-bus/ - Man dies after crash in the Guildwood area.

July 31, 2016:
http://www.680news.com/2016/07/30/male-in-crisis-on-ttc-bus-at-steeles-avenue-west/  - Bus involved was #8564. Man in crisis with a knife held on the 60 STEELES WEST bus for six hours during a standoff between him and the cops before being taken to the hospital under the Mental Health Act.

August 1, 2016:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/car-ttc-bus-collision-1.3702972 - Five passengers injured after car rear ended a 116C MORNINGSIDE bus. Vehicle on the scene was #7668.

Let's see how Tory would react to delaying the opening of the Spadina subway extension, the elimination of the kids ride free policy, and cuts to service that he implemented during his photo op.

I'd love to see his reaction, because if he starts to open his mouth about those things, the TTC could turn around and state that's what Tory requested.

2 hours ago, lip said:

Let's see how Tory would react to delaying the opening of the Spadina subway extension, the elimination of the kids ride free policy, and cuts to service that he implemented during his photo op.

I'd love to see his reaction, because if he starts to open his mouth about those things, the TTC could turn around and state that's what Tory requested.

The TTC can just do this quietly to keep Tory happy. They can just schedule 8-10 minute gaps during late nights and 10+ minute gaps on the TYSSE to reduce trains running past 11am. Cite ridership reduction and remove some bus/streetcar runs. Cut back on bus maintenance. Run less buses on subway shuttles. There are lot's of stuff that's not as noticeable if they cut them.

On 8/4/2016 at 0:29 PM, Xtrazsteve said:

The TTC can just do this quietly to keep Tory happy. They can just schedule 8-10 minute gaps during late nights and 10+ minute gaps on the TYSSE to reduce trains running past 11am. Cite ridership reduction and remove some bus/streetcar runs. Cut back on bus maintenance. Run less buses on subway shuttles. There are lot's of stuff that's not as noticeable if they cut them.

Oh, I don't think it's gonna work.  Late nights have the lowest ridership of any period on most routes.

On August 1, 2016 at 1:01 PM, 16 McCowan said:

ICYMI:

July 28, 2016:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/07/28/police-seek-man-who-tossed-coffee-at-bus-driver.html - A man tossed a coffee on the operator in Vaughan via the 105 DUFFERIN NORTH line.

The guy was arrested last week and appeared in court... in an orange jumpsuit no less. Loser!