TTC in the news

buschic

1 hour ago, Xtrazsteve said:

They still have to dig two 15-20m deep shafts...

One shaft can be the existing tail tunnel and the other can be the new station. Or you could drive the TBM off-route and abandon it. Both tecniques have been used elsewhere.

... and excavate under the GO train tracks. 

Not a big deal. What impact was there when the existing tail track east of Kennedy was dug under the Stouffville GO Train? I don't recall any issues.

Though, now I think about it, I'm not sure which GO tracks this new tunnel has to go under.  It's entirely east of Stouffville and north of Lakeshore. 

If one accident happens at STC, the whole project would be pushed back a year.

One doesn't plan on accidents. Though even then, the recent building collapse during the Crosstown construction only delayed construction a few days.

We'll assume that TTC will either do a P3 or have a private contractor to manage the project this time ...

Doesn't have to be P3. There isn't a large number of different construction projects to manage. The entire tunnelling and station construction could be one contract. The scheduling for track and other installations is much simpler.  A P3 would slow things down, but a buyer's engineer wouldn't.

... but because they basically want to copy the Crosstown LRT construction, the tunnel has to be done first before any tunnel outfitting and station construction occurs.

Typically a P3 includes tunnelling. Recall that the tunnelling was tendered while TTC was still running the project and wasn't planning on a P3.

The 2-3 year TBM and the 3-4 year station construction can't occur in parallel.

Why not? Crossrail was built that way. They bored into the already-built station box, then rolled the TBM through and launched again from the other side. All you have to do here is yank it out - or abandon in place. Or you could build the extraction shaft next to either the new station and work on each separately. Or do what they did for the final runs between Downsview Park and Downsview (aka Sheppard West), and tunnel towards the existing subway, and then build the extraction pit at the end of the existing tail tracks.

If all goes well, the earliest opening date is late 2024 and a moderate date is 2026.

The current target is 2023. I wouldn't at all be surprised if it slips to 2024, given the current delay caused by council. But given the false assumptions that you've used, I'm not sure I trust your conclusion.

11 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Though, now I think about it, I'm not sure which GO tracks this new tunnel has to go under.  It's entirely east of Stouffville and north of Lakeshore.

I was about to add this comment myself. The Kennedy tail tracks already go well past the Stouffville line.

12 minutes ago, nfitz said:

One shaft can be the existing tail tunnel and the other can be the new station. Or you could drive the TBM off-route and abandon it. Both tecniques have been used elsewhere.

If they TTC gives up trying to sell them. The TYSSE resale didn't go so well. From this article I just read: http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-story/6707688-ttc-staff-suggest-destroying-mature-woodlot-to-build-scarborough-subway/ They might just stage the shaft on Ellesmere which can allow them to build the station in parallel.

7 minutes ago, Archer said:

I was about to add this comment myself. The Kennedy tail tracks already go well past the Stouffville line.

I was under the assumption that they would just the parking lot just east of the tracks.

Jail for setting up bed on T.O. subway track

Brandon Police Service

Enlarge Image

Brandon Police Service (BRANDON POLICE SERVCE)

A Brandonite didn’t make any fans in Toronto when he picked a bad spot to sleep and caused a subway disruption that delayed Toronto Raptors faithful from getting to the game.

Homeless former Brandon resident Darrell Gordon Ness jumped down to track level and set up a makeshift bed, causing a 16-minute transit delay that cost the Toronto Transit Commission $80,000 to $160,000.

"It’s also noted that at the time that this occurred there was a nearby Toronto Raptors game taking place, and that quite a number of fans were unable to make it to the game due to the TTC being shut down by this disruption," Crown attorney Deidre Badcock said in Brandon provincial court on Thursday during Ness’s sentencing.

Ness pleaded guilty to mischief and was sentenced to three months in jail as part of sentencing for a series of offences.

Badcock said it was the evening of March 15, 2015, when Ness entered Wellesley Station in Toronto, entered the main platform area, jumped down to track level and entered a restricted area.

There, he set up a makeshift bed and fell asleep.

A passing train driver saw Ness and contacted supervisors. Badcock said power had to be cut for 16 minutes to allow the safe removal of Ness, costing the TTC $5,000 to $10,000 per minute.

At the time, Raptors fans were trying to get to the Air Canada Centre to see their team play the Portland Trail Blazers.

In the end, they didn’t have much to cheer about. A team-leading 22-point effort by Raptors guard DeMar DeRozen was wasted as the Blazers beat Toronto 113-97.

Ness was also sentenced on Thursday for drunk driving in a stolen vehicle, mowing down a pedestrian in a crosswalk and driving off in Toronto on Jan. 9, 2015. The pedestrian was left with a fractured knee.

And, he was sentenced for failing to report to his bail supervisor in Toronto in April 2015, and for breaking a probation order he was on by not living where he was supposed to in Winnipeg and failing to report after getting out of jail after serving time for a Brandon sexual assault.

His lawyer, Andrew Sieklicki, said his 27-year-old is originally from Brandon but once worked for the fair here and followed it to Toronto where he found himself unemployed and homeless.

He studied culinary arts and earned a food-handling certificate through an education program for the homeless, but turned to alcohol and racked up charges in Toronto, Calgary and in Brandon after returning here to be with his sick mother.

In total, Ness was sentenced on Thursday to 21 months for the drunken hit-and-run, three months for the subway incident and 60 days for his breaches.

With a little time off for presentence custody, he’s left with a sentence of 25 months and 18 days.

» ihitchen@brandonsun.com

» Twitter: @IanHitchen

Republished from the Brandon Sun print edition June 10, 2016

http://www.brandonsun.com/breaking-news/jail-for-setting-up-bed-on-to-subway-track-382446191.html?thx=y

I agree with most of the complaints. some of the complaints are ridiculous, like why windows are open when the A/C is on, TTC doesn't control that, you have to blame your fellow passengers. Some people do it for fresh air. Other people eating food, again blame your fellow passengers. Not enforcing fares, really came down from politicians not TTC. 12 and under free, politicians to blame. This whole new culture of bowing down to customers and apologizing all the time, Byford to blame. I miss when TTC had a backbone.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FlyerD901 said:

. Not enforcing fares, really came down from politicians not TTC.

First of all it has to do with safety issue.  It will cost the company more should the worker got injured as a result of trying to enforce the $3.  Other companies out there discourage their workers from stopping thieves or vandals.  

On the topic of under 12 is free.  I get a bunch of kids ride one stop.  Worst of all they made me to hold for a minute to wait for one stupid kid just to get on the bus and get off at the next stop.  I wanted to say something but I don't. If i enforce the 12 year rule, some customers will file a human right complaint.  I will get into deep trouble should that happen.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

First of all it has to do with safety issue.  It will cost the company more should the worker got injured as a result of trying to enforce the $3.  Other companies out there discourage their workers from stopping thieves or vandals.  

On the topic of under 12 is free.  I get a bunch of kids ride one stop.  Worst of all they made me to hold for a minute to wait for one stupid kid just to get on the bus and get off at the next stop.  I wanted to say something but I don't. If i enforce the 12 year rule, some customers will file a human right complaint.  I will get into deep trouble should that happen.  

A lot of people don't understand this. this is another reason why we can't enforce the blue seats.

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

Not sure how the under 13 is free issue is any more than it's ever been, when they paid 60¢ rather than $1.95.

Please stop saying free rides has no effects. Not everywhere in Toronto is the same. In the burbs, when they see the bus, kids run to it to take it one or two stops. It's annoying to both the driver and the passenger to wait for someone who doesn't need it. They think it's their playhouse. Some kids are marking the decision to take the bus on a split decision when it arrives.

I ride all the time, and I don't see this.  So there are some kids on the bus for a couple of stops. Live with it and stop worrying about something so utterly inconsequential.

Think of it as free marketing to potential future customers.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, nfitz said:

I ride all the time, and I don't see this.  So there are some kids on the bus for a couple of stops. Live with it and stop worrying about something so utterly inconsequential.

Think of it as free marketing to potential future customers.

I try to avoid transit at that time. For downtown it's okay with frequent service. For a route that runs like every 12 minutes, it's not okay. Sometimes, the trip in this time adds 5-8 minute travel time. Buses run a few minutes late and picks up more kids. It's even worst when the bus is late it picks up the kids westbound, turns around and picks up the eastbound ones. I know it's not the end of the world. 

Back when I was in school, it was like this too ... but everyone had a pass, some only went a few stops, and others went further.

Life in the city ... 

Many days if I head into work late a bit after 9 AM, I'm stuck in a streetcar jammed with a school trip of children all taking.  Is that a bad thing?  Sure beats them being stuck in the classrom.

On 2016-06-14 at 0:06 PM, Xtrazsteve said:

Please stop saying free rides has no effects. Not everywhere in Toronto is the same. In the burbs, when they see the bus, kids run to it to take it one or two stops. It's annoying to both the driver and the passenger to wait for someone who doesn't need it. They think it's their playhouse. Some kids are marking the decision to take the bus on a split decision when it arrives.

Sorry, but I still can't hear you over the shaking of your rake and you yelling about your lawn. ^_^

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nfitz said:

Odd, I used to do this when I was a kid to get fries when I was 13.  Everyone had a bus pass - which cost about $10 or so back then.

Don't date yourself! ? but I get quite a few kids on a few routes who only go 1 or 2 stops and they do it 4 times a day....no wonder kids are fatter these days.

56 minutes ago, andyman said:

Don't date yourself! ? but I get quite a few kids on a few routes who only go 1 or 2 stops and they do it 4 times a day....no wonder kids are fatter these days.

Am I?  Monthly passes are still under $49.25 a month there for both children, and students under 25.  Hmm, going up to $49.75 next month.