TTC in the news

buschic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Woman snaps a photo of a man at Eglinton Stn. She then spotted the same man later. 
http://www.citynews.ca/2016/05/10/woman-snaps-picture-of-man-in-alleged-ttc-sex-assault/

Similarly I spotted the guy wearing a Jays jacket a while ago (Did not take a photo) on the 506 CARLTON and he was nice. Later that evening he was arrested at Coxwell for an alleged assault of a woman. 

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/sheppard-subway-line-gets-new-toronto-rocket-trains-1.3607811

Saw the article on the CBC that Sheppard Line is getting new TR trains. 

However, I'm wondering about one part in the article.

"TTC spokesperson Brad Ross said a new signalling system will have to be installed first on Line 2, and that's not expected to happen for "five to 10 years."

Does it mean that TTC will not install the new signaling system on Line 2 until like 2025?? 

As a frequent rider of line 2, I feel shame about that because there are so many parts in Line 2 which is really outdated, and looks like the TTC is JUST IGNORING that.

For example, they closed two bus bays at Islington Station due to damage, and there's certainly no progress on the development -_-

If they want to improve systems, they must do it equally.. 

Raptorjays- the resignal of BD line is contingent on two things - whether the Scarb extension goes ahead and the T1 replacement. They don't have the cash to replace T1s in the next 5 years but the T1s won't get new signal controls. The work on the YUS shows how long and painful a resignal is. So all in all, 2027ish is a reasonable estimate.

47 minutes ago, raptorjays said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/sheppard-subway-line-gets-new-toronto-rocket-trains-1.3607811

Saw the article on the CBC that Sheppard Line is getting new TR trains. 

However, I'm wondering about one part in the article.

"TTC spokesperson Brad Ross said a new signalling system will have to be installed first on Line 2, and that's not expected to happen for "five to 10 years."

Does it mean that TTC will not install the new signaling system on Line 2 until like 2025?? 

As a frequent rider of line 2, I feel shame about that because there are so many parts in Line 2 which is really outdated, and looks like the TTC is JUST IGNORING that.

For example, they closed two bus bays at Islington Station due to damage, and there's certainly no progress on the development -_-

If they want to improve systems, they must do it equally.. 

You do remember that the original Yonge line is 12 years older than the BD line. The H5 trains that was replaced was a decade older than the H6 trains. There isn't budget to replace everything at once nor does it make sense as this ATO project seems to be very trial and error. Hopefully they'll learn from the mistakes and make better improvements when line 2 is due for upgrades. Line 2 did get two retrofit stations (Dufferin and Pape) while only Union got a facelift on the Yonge line. I really disagree to early retirement for the T1s. They are still good trains that shouldn't be scraped cause they don't look like new trains. That's just pure gravy.

Islington will remain the same till Miway moves out which isn't TTC's problem that Metrolinx delayed the Kipling terminal to 2019. TTC's subway system is too large to retrofit everything a the same time. I don't think line 2 has that much problems and ridership isn't that big of an issue compared to the Yonge line. As a frequency rider to Kipling, I don't see why line 2 should have the same priority as line 1. The trains are only supper packed from Dufferin onwards to Pape. Heavy loading occurs between Dundas West and VP. Riding westwards in PM rush, you will very likely get a seat by High Park or Jane. Riding eastbound in peak direction, trains fill up from Dundas West onwards. You'll only see packing sardine conditions if there is a delay.

Line 1 is a totally different story. Half the trains on the Spadina line short turns at SCW. In the morning, you always have to wait 5-8 minutes for a southbound train. Trains are always backlogged leading to a 8-10 minute wait sometimes. Ridiculous! The Yonge line is always near capacity south of Bloor. Going northbound in peak direction, trains going free up slightly at Eglinton. Finding a seat may be possible at Sheppard. There is always a long line up to escalators at Finch taking 2-3 minutes to get to the concourse. At Kipling/Islington, you can almost run up the wider stairs. 

• Like 4

On 5/30/2016 at 11:54 PM, dowlingm said:

Raptorjays- the resignal of BD line is contingent on two things - whether the Scarb extension goes ahead and the T1 replacement. They don't have the cash to replace T1s in the next 5 years but the T1s won't get new signal controls. The work on the YUS shows how long and painful a resignal is. So all in all, 2027ish is a reasonable estimate.

I know the new signal on BD line will take long.. but I'm just hoping that they won't put a new train to Line 1 again and send TR to line 2 10+ years later..

There are many people using line 2 who want to experience something new... No riders should be discriminated when using transit.

So what do you propose they do? It would not make any sense to retire the T1s just so that the riders don't feel "discriminated" (which is a ridiculous way to describe the situation, by the way) by the lack of new trains.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raptorjays said:

There are many people using line 2 who want to experience something new... No riders should be discriminated when using transit.

The Commission will put the equipment where it is needed. How the riders 'feel' and what they want to 'experience' will play little to no role in the decision.  

Until pressure is taken off the Yonge Line by say... a DTRL it's highly likely that the newest equipment will be utilized on the YUS where it will have the most benefit to the most riders. It's not 'discrimination' it's logical transit planning.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, raptorjays said:

I know the new signal on BD line will take long.. but I'm just hoping that they won't put a new train to Line 1 again and send TR to line 2 10+ years later..

Discriminated? This happens everywhere. Maybe the streetcar riders should start a protest cause they don't have new streetcars on their route. Why didn't TTC put Nova buses at every garage? It just makes not sense at all. The only reason why T1's were place on both lines 1 and 2 is because of accessibility. It makes no sense at the moment to maintain TRs at both Wilson and Greenwood.

Across the world we can see that different lines operate with different equipment. I think TTC made the right choice cause T1's and TR's have different speeds of acceleration and operating speeds. It would be more efficient to have the same type of trains on the same line.

• Like 1

Greenwood can't handle the TRs anyways. That's a good enough excuse. Anything else is waste of time if you don't have the facility to maintain them.

And Kipling will be the only hope for TRs if TTC can use that property for a subway facility.

With a lack of discussion pertaining to the SSE (Scarborough Subway Extension), i'll leave this here:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/05/31/ttc-letter-warns-homeowners-their-houses-might-be-expropriated-for-scarborough-subway.html

Homes on Stanwell Drive located southwest of McCowan/Ellesmere to be expropriated for construction. Work will begin 2018-2019.

Let's begin with where are they getting the TBMs. They need to order them soon if they even want new ones to start in 2018. 

4-5 years is a joke considering what mess was left from TYSSE. That project is going well into the 8th year. Assuming they can start tunneling late 2019 and the TBM moves at the Crosstown TBM pace, it will take 2.5 years to get from Kennedy to STC. They'll pull out the TBMs in 2022 and take 3 more years to build the tracks, ventilation, signals and the station on top. 2026 completion date sounds about right.

Keep in mind, if they stick to the plan they were working on earlier, we are only looking at 1 TBM, 1 drive, and 1 station.  TYSSE was 4 TBMs, 6 drives, 6 stations, and some cut-and cover, not to mention the new connection to Wilson.

How long did Downsview take from when they started construction?  It might be more applicable. Yes, shorter tunnel, but other than that.

59 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Keep in mind, if they stick to the plan they were working on earlier, we are only looking at 1 TBM, 1 drive, and 1 station.  TYSSE was 4 TBMs, 6 drives, 6 stations, and some cut-and cover, not to mention the new connection to Wilson.

How long did Downsview take from when they started construction?  It might be more applicable. Yes, shorter tunnel, but other than that.

They still have to dig two 15-20m deep shafts and excavate under the GO train tracks. TYSSE had the tunneling done by 2013 and how far did they get? If one accident happens at STC, the whole project would be pushed back a year. We'll assume that TTC will either do a P3 or have a private contractor to manage the project this time but because they basically want to copy the Crosstown LRT construction, the tunnel has to be done first before any tunnel outfitting and station construction occurs. The 2-3 year TBM and the 3-4 year station construction can't occur in parallel. If all goes well, the earliest opening date is late 2024 and a moderate date is 2026.