TTC in the news

buschic

If they go through with those 24 hour routes it will be pretty good coverage for the city. The only thing I would like to see is a night bus going up Kingston road then up Markham road.

I'm sure Markham will be considered, the 302 is nowhere near especially in the south end.

I'm sure Markham will be considered, the 302 is nowhere near especially in the south end.

It wasn't on the proposed expansion TTC released back in August. In Scarborough, just Kennedy, Ellesmere from Nielsen to Meadowvale (turning north up to Sheppard), and Staines Road (from Finch/Nielsen to Markham/Steels).

Some items from March 29 Board Service Changes

I had not heard about it before but the 1 Line subway gets a name change and Spadina will all be buses in April (The new streetcars will work the 509 line for the month). Lots more construction, 110 south end route change, still messing with 29 and piles of added running times, mostly midday and evening

some highlights:

1 YONGE-UNIVERSITY

* Route name change

The route name will be changed from 1 YONGE-UNIVERSITY-SPADINA to

1 YONGE- UNIVERSITY. The use of this new name has already begun on customer information and signs.

510 SPADINA
 Temporary bus replacement – TTC construction

All streetcar service on Spadina Avenue will be replaced by buses in the April 2015 board period, because of track construction at Spadina Station and at the intersection of Spadina & College.

During most times of the week, bus service will operate on the 510 (Spadina Stn- Queens Quay) and 510 (Spadina Stn-King) branches.

North of Sussex Avenue, the buses will operate on Spadina Avenue, and not into the streetcar tunnel, and will serve the bus platform at Spadina Station. Buses will unload at the north platform at the station, and will load in the easternmost platform on the south side of the station. The schedule will be the same as was used in the July 2014 board period.

For approximately three weeks of the April 2015 board period, from approximately April 6 to 27, while Spadina Avenue is closed to north-south traffic, buses on 510 SPADINA will operate over a different, diversionary route, at the divisional level. Northbound buses will operate north on Spadina, east on Dundas, north on Beverley and St George, west on Harbord and north on Spadina to Spadina Station. Southbound buses will operate south on Spadina, west on Harbord, south on Bathurst, east on Dundas and south on Spadina to King/Queens Quay. For several weeks in the April 2015 board period, cars on 506 CARLTON will divert both ways via Ossington, Dundas, and Bay, also at the divisional level.

Buses will operate from Birchmount, Mount Dennis, and Eglinton garages.

Peak bus assignment ................................AM peak

Birchmount..............................................14 buses

Mount Dennis ..........................................12 buses

Eglinton...................................................0 buses

Total.......................................................26 buses

Monday to Friday early morning (5:00 to 6:15 a.m.)

PM peak

14 buses

12 buses

3 buses

29 buses

509 HARBOURFRONT
ï‚· Temporary schedule change for TTC construction

During the temporary bus replacement on 510 SPADINA for track construction, additional service will be added to 509 HARBOURFRONT, to maintain sufficient capacity on Queens Quay.

The schedule will be set for CLRVs, but up to six runs will be designated for low-floor cars temporarily displaced from 510 SPADINA.

The 509 HARBOURFRONT route will be temporarily moved from Russell to Roncesvalles, for the March/April 2015 board period only, so the low-floor cars can be operated on this route, and to better balance the streetcar workforce

I had not heard about it before but the 1 Line subway gets a name change and Spadina will all be buses in April (The new streetcars will work the 509 line for the month). Lots more construction, 110 south end route change, still messing with 29 and piles of added running times, mostly midday and evening

[s/size][/font]

What's the 110 south end route change?

What's the 110 south end route change?

I'm not familiar with the 110. Does this change make sense?

"110 ISLINGTON SOUTH

ï‚· Routing change

The end of the line at the south end of the 110C branch will be changed from Islington Avenue at Lake Shore Boulevard to Islington Avenue at Birmingham Street. This change will be made from approximately 3:00 p.m. to the end of service from Monday to Friday, to reduce delays to customers getting home. There will be no change to service levels. "

I'm not familiar with the 110. Does this change make sense?

"110 ISLINGTON SOUTH

ï‚· Routing change

The end of the line at the south end of the 110C branch will be changed from Islington Avenue at Lake Shore Boulevard to Islington Avenue at Birmingham Street. This change will be made from approximately 3:00 p.m. to the end of service from Monday to Friday, to reduce delays to customers getting home. There will be no change to service levels. "

Somewhat.... the current end is Islington and Lakeshore and many who want to go another couple stops complain about waiting but those are probably the same who complained about noise issues when the layover was on 12th. The current layover in the turn lane to Lakeshore disrupts traffic flow at times slightly.

Somewhat.... the current end is Islington and Lakeshore and many who want to go another couple stops complain about waiting but those are probably the same who complained about noise issues when the layover was on 12th. The current layover in the turn lane to Lakeshore disrupts traffic flow at times slightly.

So if I have this straight, the layover is now after looping along Lake Shore, and is somewhere before or after the left turn from Birmingham to northbound Islington?

some highlights:

1 YONGE-UNIVERSITY

* Route name change

The route name will be changed from 1 YONGE-UNIVERSITY-SPADINA to

1 YONGE- UNIVERSITY. The use of this new name has already begun on customer information and signs.

510 SPADINA

 Temporary bus replacement – TTC construction

All streetcar service on Spadina Avenue will be replaced by buses in the April 2015 board period, because of track construction at Spadina Station and at the intersection of Spadina & College.

During most times of the week, bus service will operate on the 510 (Spadina Stn- Queens Quay) and 510 (Spadina Stn-King) branches.

North of Sussex Avenue, the buses will operate on Spadina Avenue, and not into the streetcar tunnel, and will serve the bus platform at Spadina Station. Buses will unload at the north platform at the station, and will load in the easternmost platform on the south side of the station. The schedule will be the same as was used in the July 2014 board period.

For approximately three weeks of the April 2015 board period, from approximately April 6 to 27, while Spadina Avenue is closed to north-south traffic, buses on 510 SPADINA will operate over a different, diversionary route, at the divisional level. Northbound buses will operate north on Spadina, east on Dundas, north on Beverley and St George, west on Harbord and north on Spadina to Spadina Station. Southbound buses will operate south on Spadina, west on Harbord, south on Bathurst, east on Dundas and south on Spadina to King/Queens Quay. For several weeks in the April 2015 board period, cars on 506 CARLTON will divert both ways via Ossington, Dundas, and Bay, also at the divisional level.

Buses will operate from Birchmount, Mount Dennis, and Eglinton garages.

Peak bus assignment ................................AM peak

Birchmount..............................................14 buses

Mount Dennis ..........................................12 buses

Eglinton...................................................0 buses

Total.......................................................26 buses

Monday to Friday early morning (5:00 to 6:15 a.m.)

PM peak

14 buses

12 buses

3 buses

29 buses

509 HARBOURFRONT

ï‚· Temporary schedule change for TTC construction

During the temporary bus replacement on 510 SPADINA for track construction, additional service will be added to 509 HARBOURFRONT, to maintain sufficient capacity on Queens Quay.

The schedule will be set for CLRVs, but up to six runs will be designated for low-floor cars temporarily displaced from 510 SPADINA.

The 509 HARBOURFRONT route will be temporarily moved from Russell to Roncesvalles, for the March/April 2015 board period only, so the low-floor cars can be operated on this route, and to better balance the streetcar workforce

I dont understand why they couldnt time it to be done when the line was closed for construction for almost a year?

I dont understand why they couldnt time it to be done when the line was closed for construction for almost a year?

Last year's Spadina closure (which wasn't a year) was to rebuild the Spadina/Dundas intersection. This year is to rebuild the Spadina/College intersection. You can't do both at the same time.

They ran out of money, simple. Typical TTC planning is deferring projects to trim down the capital expenses of the year. They could have done one intersection after another as originally planned.

This is the last intersection on Spadina to do. They rebuilt Dundas, Queen, Adelaide, King and QQ.

I agree with nfitz. They should have found some way to get it done, defer something else! I wonder sometimes about that planning department! After a couple of years of taking shuttle buses to the Rogers Centre, I was looking forward to a quick ride. It was great last September! What are they going to do with the 4400's? They should put them on King or Queen! Hopefully by April we'll have at least 5 Flexitys. The suits will likely figure it would be too confusing for the public and let them collect rust at Roncesvalles!

They should have found some way to get it done, defer something else!

I don't think there's any evidence that it was deferred for budgetary reasons. There was a massive underspend last year.

After a couple of years of taking shuttle buses to the Rogers Centre, I was looking forward to a quick ride. It was great last September!

Had they not deferred it, they would have had Spadina closed last September instead. Though there are still going to be Streetcars running from Union to Spadina (and the Ex), so I don't see the issue for getting to Rogers where the buses have been for the last couple of years.

What are they going to do with the 4400's? They should put them on King or Queen! Hopefully by April we'll have at least 5 Flexitys. The suits will likely figure it would be too confusing for the public and let them collect rust at Roncesvalles!

The post above says they'll be on 509 Harbourfront - running from Union Station past Rogers.

Thanks for this info!

With Spadina using so many buses in the peak periods, are there any 'temporary reductions' being made on other routes to free up buses?

Also, any word on how much longer the partial bus-substitution on the 504 will continue?

So if I have this straight, the layover is now after looping along Lake Shore, and is somewhere before or after the left turn from Birmingham to northbound Islington?

Sounds like it, there is a stop on Birmingham just before the turn back northbound. Many actually get off at Birmingham on the southbound trip to avoid the current layover and walk in the back way to their building.

Thanks for this info!

With Spadina using so many buses in the peak periods, are there any 'temporary reductions' being made on other routes to free up buses?

Also, any word on how much longer the partial bus-substitution on the 504 will continue?

With winter ending, hopefully they don't need as much spare streetcars and some of the runs can be assigned to streetcars again.

nfitz: From your comments about not seeing any problem with buses replacing streetcars on Spadina the past two years, I assume you seldom if ever took the TTC from Spadina Station to the Rogers Centre. For those of us with ambulatory challenges, getting off at Queen, walking south, below Richmond to catch the shuttle, often standing for 15 minutes waiting for one to show up, then moving at a snail's pace to Bremner because of Gardiner construction, the trip was painful! Then when they tore up Dundas intersection, you had to use 2 shuttles. I gave up and waited for the streetcars to return August 31st.

nfitz: From your comments about not seeing any problem with buses replacing streetcars on Spadina the past two years, I assume you seldom if ever took the TTC from Spadina Station to the Rogers Centre. For those of us with ambulatory challenges, getting off at Queen, walking south, below Richmond to catch the shuttle, often standing for 15 minutes waiting for one to show up, then moving at a snail's pace to Bremner because of Gardiner construction, the trip was painful! Then when they tore up Dundas intersection, you had to use 2 shuttles. I gave up and waited for the streetcars to return August 31st.

That shuttle? It was like all 5 buses within slight in one direction, 400m apart stuck in a sea of cars between the first and last bus. You wonder what was people are standing at a bus stop of the opposite direction waiting for. By far the worst route operated by the TTC ever.

Agreed. Socknacki's idea was a good one, not as a stand alone mind you but as part of an overall review of the entire TTC fare structure, and something that deserved further scrutiny from the suits at TTC, who should who should have proposed it in the first place, instead of dismissing it outright.

I disagree with free rides, everybody should pay, the system needs money. A discount hour is a silly waste of time that would penalize metropass users and as if the system isn't busy enough between 6a - 7a.

I do argee that the captive riders are always the ones having to take the hit and that is unfair.

I also disagree with the articles suggestion that people only use the TTC because they have no other choice, compared to other city's Toronto enjoys a high "choice rider" demographic, this is not to say that it couldn't be higher but let's look at the positives.