Jump to content
Gil

Brampton Transit/Züm

Recommended Posts

Another incident involving a bus, this time Zum 1877 was involved in a collision on Main Street around 6:30am today, pickup driver was intoxicated and hit two cars before hitting the bus head on and fleeing the scene

unknown if the driver is injured but the bus was on deadhead to start at 511

D3C6B6DB-9B5A-4671-9059-F30A083DF34B.jpeg

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, NewFlyerFan said:

Another incident involving a bus, this time Zum 1877 was involved in a collision on Main Street around 6:30am today, pickup driver was intoxicated and hit two cars before hitting the bus head on and fleeing the scene

unknown if the driver is injured but the bus was on deadhead to start at 511

D3C6B6DB-9B5A-4671-9059-F30A083DF34B.jpeg

Damn, hopefully the driver is ok. Is there any news coverage on this yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BramptonTransitFan84 said:

Damn, hopefully the driver is ok. Is there any news coverage on this yet?

I’m Not to sure, I was informed by a coworker and also sent this image later that day. You can see the bottom of the frame is still in place but everything above is pushed in 

385D76CD-CA04-4033-9A03-D7D341A633E4.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, NewFlyerFan said:

I’m Not to sure, I was informed by a coworker and also sent this image later that day. You can see the bottom of the frame is still in place but everything above is pushed in 

385D76CD-CA04-4033-9A03-D7D341A633E4.jpeg

Still, im thankful that nobody else was on board at the time. Hopefully the police find the idiot driver and he gets charged.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A mild incident that seemed to have occured either earlier today or yesterday involving another züm 18xx. Screenshotted from a 6ixbuzz post...

Im rather curious as to what happened prior to this since typically the jacknife scenario ends with the rear on the right. My guess is that the driver may have had to hard brake & swerve but thats juts my guess

 

Screenshot_2019-01-31-22-46-01.png

Screenshot_2019-01-31-22-45-40.png

Screenshot_2019-01-31-22-45-42.png

Screenshot_2019-01-31-22-45-59.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2019 at 7:07 PM, NewFlyerFan said:

I’m Not to sure, I was informed by a coworker and also sent this image later that day. You can see the bottom of the frame is still in place but everything above is pushed in 

385D76CD-CA04-4033-9A03-D7D341A633E4.jpeg

Damage and incident in general strikingly MiWay 1354-like. Hope the driver was okay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s possible, they tend to do info sessions once every week at about 75-80 people at a time 

 

we’re scheduled to hire 95 operators for expansion this year 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BramptonTransitFan84 said:

Something unusual on 1127, some sort of cable routing cover and its attached to a module by the back. I've never seen this before on any of the XD40's. This was taken a few weeks ago

 

20190221_194636.jpg

Hmm not sure I’ve seen that before but it’s at another garage that unit, I’ll try and check it out 

in other news buses are having security camera stickers installed to remind passengers they are being recorded and 1126 is the first unit to be installed with a permanent drivers shield. These will be installed in all buses minus the 02,03s from what I’ve been told 

the shields are the prototype that was seen in conventionals 1201,1713 and Zum 1291

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2018 at 8:50 AM, Silly Tilley said:

Speaking of conventional buses, there was a RFP for a new 3 year contract for conventional buses that closed in August but it has still not been awarded. 

 

It took more than a few months but this RFP was finally awarded to Nova Bus about 2 weeks ago, a new 3 year contract for conventional buses.

Also Brampton is holding their usual annual info sessions regarding 2019 service initiatives: http://www.brampton.ca/EN/residents/transit/service-alerts/Pages/Transit-Updates.aspx#342

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some unfortunate news regarding the electric bus project Brampton was hoping to start this year and yes this is due to Doug Fords decision making yet again. Although I trust the guardian pretty well I am going to email BT on this just to confirm its officially cancelled as they haven't said anything on their part yet.

https://www.bramptonguardian.com/news-story/8753151-cap-and-trade-cancellation-hits-brampton-projects/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very unfortunate news. Wondering out loud here but would this be affecting other agencies who have ordered buses through CUTRIC? It's like that I feel (granted I don't think anything impossible anymore with this government), that it's like that no transit agency will get gas tax unless it's diesel buses only, no hybrid, electric, etc. Doubt that'd happen..but y'know..
A few weeks back when attending one of Brampton's PIC's, one of their planning staff members whom I was in a good conversation with that we had gotten into a talk about that Brampton Transit is at 'a tipping point' with capacity with big ridership increases, but only so many buses, too, with the ongoing challenges of annual budgets to supporting the ever-increasing ridership growth. 
One intersting topic was about the consideration, although not set in stone, about when the Zum buses (unsure if specifically he said the 40 foot or 60 foot XDE's) that once they reach their mid-life rebuilds, they could be converted into regular conventional service. The goal that BT sees is that ZUM services would only see XDE60's, even the 561.
Any other information that was heard at these PIC's from a few weeks back from other people here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2019 at 1:33 PM, BramptonTransitFan84 said:

Some unfortunate news regarding the electric bus project Brampton was hoping to start this year and yes this is due to Doug Fords decision making yet again. Although I trust the guardian pretty well I am going to email BT on this just to confirm its officially cancelled as they haven't said anything on their part yet.

https://www.bramptonguardian.com/news-story/8753151-cap-and-trade-cancellation-hits-brampton-projects/

I can save you the email... since that announcement BT has been looking for another funding source (Feds? PTIF Phase2 maybe? Other Provincial programs?). There is still a desire to proceed with the program.

11 minutes ago, newflyerinvero said:

(unsure if specifically he said the 40 foot or 60 foot XDE's)

It could potentially apply to both, but the first XDE40's are still a couple of years away from any kind of refurb.

13 minutes ago, newflyerinvero said:

The goal that BT sees is that ZUM services would only see XDE60's, even the 561.

The current arrangement at the Downtown Terminal will not accommodate 60' on 561... 561 will need to stay 40' for the foreseeable future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GM5000 said:

I can save you the email... since that announcement BT has been looking for another funding source (Feds? PTIF Phase2 maybe? Other Provincial programs?). There is still a desire to proceed with the program.

Same thing goes for York Region Transit, who are also part of the electric bus trial. They recently received Council approval to proceed with the purchase using reserve funds, while staff will look at other opportunities (including the ones mentioned above) to top up the reserve fund.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2019 at 10:25 PM, GM5000 said:

I can save you the email... since that announcement BT has been looking for another funding source (Feds? PTIF Phase2 maybe? Other Provincial programs?). There is still a desire to proceed with the program.

It could potentially apply to both, but the first XDE40's are still a couple of years away from any kind of refurb.

The current arrangement at the Downtown Terminal will not accommodate 60' on 561... 561 will need to stay 40' for the foreseeable future.

I'm a bit late, but I got a response from BT and as you said they are looking into other forms of funding. I'm remaining hopeful some source will come through as this could be a stepping stone in Brampton making the further approach to a possible zero-emission fleet in the future.

Also about the XDE60's, not only the 561 but the 505 as well. The size of the bus bays at Trinity Common would need to be extended and the turn by the main intersection coming from Bovaird and going to Great Lakes Drive would need major widening to accommodate for a 60 foot buses and additional space for 1-2 40 footers. I've seen the odd occasion that an XDE60 happened to go on the 505 and its not the best thing having a 60 footer take up 2 bus spots because of its 4 min pause at Trinity Common.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More shields rolling out, 1100s seem to be the focus right now and some Zum buses either 12s or 1400s 

they also include a blue and black sticker stating the offence carries a 5000$ fine and potential prison sentence of 5 years 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2019 at 12:04 AM, BramptonTransitFan84 said:

Also about the XDE60's, not only the 561 but the 505 as well. The size of the bus bays at Trinity Common would need to be extended and the turn by the main intersection coming from Bovaird and going to Great Lakes Drive would need major widening to accommodate for a 60 foot buses and additional space for 1-2 40 footers. 

Turning movements and geometrics at Trinity are not an issue for artics and are not why 40' are used on 505... it's Malton GO station.  Because of the location of the temporary stop, GO requested that 60' not be used so that other buses could manoeuvre around a parked Zum 40' bus.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prior to that however there were no plans to use articulated buses on the 505, the ridership just isn’t there and I believe the 5 had a higher ridership number compared to the 505, until the 505 goes to Pearson like is in future “plans” it’s 40ft buses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NewFlyerFan said:

Prior to that however there were no plans to use articulated buses on the 505, the ridership just isn’t there and I believe the 5 had a higher ridership number compared to the 505, until the 505 goes to Pearson like is in future “plans” it’s 40ft buses

I don't think that you understand who you are trying to argue with....

 

Dan

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2019 at 5:03 PM, NewFlyerFan said:

Hmm not sure I’ve seen that before but it’s at another garage that unit, I’ll try and check it out 

in other news buses are having security camera stickers installed to remind passengers they are being recorded and 1126 is the first unit to be installed with a permanent drivers shield. These will be installed in all buses minus the 02,03s from what I’ve been told 

the shields are the prototype that was seen in conventionals 1201,1713 and Zum 1291

Does anyone have a photo of the shield used on the New Flyers? I've seen all the other ones except the ones that will actually be used...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...