Brampton Transit/Züm

On 3/20/2017 at 6:20 PM, Silly Tilley said:

BID CALL NO. T2017-038 Supply and Delivery of Urban Bus Rapid Transit Vehicles For A Three (3) Year Period Within The City of Brampton

Tender out for Zum vehicles to be delivered between 2018-2020.

The base order consists of 14 60' diesel buses. 11 to be delivered by March 31, 2018 and 3 in 2020. Optional pricing is required for 60' hybrid buses (upgrade from base diesel) and 40' diesel and hybrid buses.

And as a update to this, New Flyer is out with a press release announcing Brampton has ordered 14 XD60s for ZUM. The first 11 will be delivered in early 2018. Looks like despite requesting pricing for hybrid buses in the tender and the Zum fleet being all hybrid, they have decided to move away from purchasing more hybrids.

https://newflyer.com/rss/843-brampton-transit-awards-new-flyer-a-contract-for-14-clean-diesel-buses

• Like 3
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I took a picture of brand new 0301 during my visit to Brampton Transit's Clark Garage back in October 2003.

Do you want to try writing that again, but with punctuation and not being in a hurry this time?   Dan

Just popping in to mention Brampton Transit is now available on Transit55: https://transit55.ca/brampton/ Enjoy

Posted Images

What a weird decision, considering how the agency wanted to try out zero-emission, battery-electric buses. They could have instead ordered more XDE60s but if they're unsatisfied with the Allison parallel hybrid system, they could just ask for BAE HybriDrive series hybrid technology instead. I believe that's an option, isn't it? Or perhaps, if there is no immediate need for new buses, they could wait to see if their BEV trial is successful, and hopefully become the launch customer for the XE60.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Transit geek said:

What a weird decision, considering how the agency wanted to try out zero-emission, battery-electric buses. They could have instead ordered more XDE60s but if they're unsatisfied with the Allison parallel hybrid system, they could just ask for BAE HybriDrive series hybrid technology instead. I believe that's an option, isn't it? Or perhaps, if there is no immediate need for new buses, they could wait to see if their BEV trial is successful, and hopefully become the launch customer for the XE60.

OK, lots wrong with this post. 

First, what does battery-electric bus testing have anything to do with this bus purchase? You seem to be suggesting they should keep spending money on diesel-electric hybrids because they're partially electric?

Second, you seem to make an assumption that they are unsatisfied with the Allison hybrid product from past orders? Anything to back that up? As for just "asking" for the BAE series hybrid... you make it sound to easy! Who knows, maybe New Flyer did include that option with the tender response?

I would imagine that the buses are needed, otherwise they wouldn't have been tendered. The electric bus test won't start until at least 2018 by the sounds of it. A good year of testing, and then write a report... Maybe have that done by Q1 2020? You're suggesting they shouldn't ordered buses until then? That would mean a Q1 2021 delivery? There's XE60's already on order from US agencies.

Lets get back to this "weird decision" comment. I would like introduce you to Occam's razor.

If we're going to make an assumptions about this bus purchase, I'm going to go with Brampton didn't want to spend the extra money on hybrid diesel buses. I think that that is the simplest reason. The Canadian dollar is in the toilet relative to the US dollar which has caused buses to become a lot more expensive here. You'd really need to be able to justify that extra expenditure on the hybrid. Also, I can't help but wonder if costs such as battery replacement are starting to hit Brampton, given their first hybrids were 2010's.

Anyways, here is a great article on the costs behind hybrid buses: http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2014/10/hybrid_buses_aaata.html

If I were a taxpayer in Brampton I wouldn't want Brampton Transit to be spending extra money on buses that will cost more in the long run! Not a fiscally wise decision.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Silly Tilley said:

And as a update to this, New Flyer is out with a press release announcing Brampton has ordered 14 XD60s for ZUM. The first 11 will be delivered in early 2018. Looks like despite requesting pricing for hybrid buses in the tender and the Zum fleet being all hybrid, they have decided to move away from purchasing more hybrids.

https://newflyer.com/rss/843-brampton-transit-awards-new-flyer-a-contract-for-14-clean-diesel-buses

That is very interesting that they are going with diesel's. I do also agree with M. Parsons on the whole battery replacement is a big thing since they have quite the number of them. If I may ask this though weather or not the contract has been renewed to Flyer for ZUM.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/05/2017 at 3:05 PM, newflyerinvero said:

I think I had seen from their Facebook page that the 501 will also be heading to York University too. A few more trips to be added during peak periods on both 501/501A.

Any news on the 505 situation in terms of what was being considered?

So far nothing has been mentioned regarding the 505, however im personally leaning towards the possibility that they might fufill an extension onto Airport road...

Also more info regarding the 2017 XDE60's, #1776 was spotted today around 7AM on the 501A WB. So its likely to expect that most and if not all would become active between now and September.

17 hours ago, BramptonTransitFan84 said:

So far nothing has been mentioned regarding the 505, however im personally leaning towards the possibility that they might fufill an extension onto Airport road...

I"m not questioning whether ZUM would be headed to Pearson. Just what number and the routing. I'mstill thinking that it should be a seperated route away from the 505 just on its length of the route.

I forget whom it was that felt maybe a better place to have a 505/530 meet up at Trinity Common Mall. Somehow though this makes the 505 even shorter and may need to have it extended to take over the current 561 Zum Queen West. The fact that its' known as 561 no longer is very 'trendy' in the way that they combined the 56 - Springbrook (pardon the lack of remembering the route name) with the 1-Queen). But now seems better to have the 505 operate from Downtown to Trinity Common via Mount Pleasant GO.

• Like 1
On 2017-07-07 at 11:20 PM, BramptonTransitFan84 said:

Planned for sometime in 2018 to Malton GO as a "Phase 1".  Extension to the Airport would come as a "Phase 2" at a later date... i.e. maybe there will be a second batch of PTIF funding sometime soon. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Forgot I had an account on this site; I'm currently in 1779 on 511. When I grabbed it near Lisgar GO it only had 531.9 km on the clock (I think there was a decimal point, not sure). So it must be only in its first or second day of service -- love that new bus smell 🙂 stop announcements are not running, though "stop requested" is functional. Also heard a "please talk quietly on cell phones" announcement which I'd never heard before.

• 2 weeks later...

Safe to assume that most of them are out as I did see 1701, 03 and 04 midweek last week.

Anyhow, seems like these service changes for September seems a bit underwhelming in my opinion. Seems like the only big changes are the 501C - ZUM Queen between York U and Bramalea Transit Terminal VIA 407 as well as the new 104 - Chingcousy Express. Deosn't seem like anything too significant.
Wonder if the extension of the 505 got too much negative comments or suggestions that ti was pushed back for 2018? Or, if it would be a 505 extension, sor another ZUM route altogether, to which I did suggest a few posts back in this thread.

On 2017-08-28 at 0:56 AM, newflyerinvero said:

Safe to assume that most of them are out as I did see 1701, 03 and 04 midweek last week.

Anyhow, seems like these service changes for September seems a bit underwhelming in my opinion. Seems like the only big changes are the 501C - ZUM Queen between York U and Bramalea Transit Terminal VIA 407 as well as the new 104 - Chingcousy Express. Deosn't seem like anything too significant.

Wonder if the extension of the 505 got too much negative comments or suggestions that ti was pushed back for 2018? Or, if it would be a 505 extension, sor another ZUM route altogether, to which I did suggest a few posts back in this thread.

The 505 extension was always planned for September 2018, never this September.

Spotted 1705 on the 30 southbound at Airport and Thamesgate around 6:07 AM, and 1704 on the 14 southbound at Torbram and Williams at 6:40 AM.

Also: 1701 on the 18 southbound at Dixie and Williams around 6:45 AM.

Edited by AmanKh