Brampton Transit/Züm

Gil

Do they really? How long have the 2013's been on the property inactive now? 9 months? I don't think they are hurting that bad. Not to mention the 2001 orion v's and the freshly rebuilt 1999 orion v's which are strictly driver shuttles now.

BT probably wants to squeeze out as much remaining life as they can from the not-too-long-ago refurbished '98 Orion VI's before retiring or replacing them, hence the new stuff sitting around. Even though they were fancy-dancy low-floor, those things were never good for the busier routes they sometimes found themselves on, and a lot of the time they were stuck on moderate to low ridership routes (12, 13, 15, 16 + rush hour stuff) with Orion I and V's taking the heavier ridership routes such as the 1A/1B Queen and 18 Dixie (at least in the early '00's before the advent of "accessible routes" a number of years later, and the mass invasion of D40LF and LFS). Getting one on a packed school special was especially funny, with kids sitting on raised seatless sections around the rear wheel wells and engine.

And if money is coming in for replacement units, why not buy them. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

June Service Improvements

Effective June 24, 2013

24 Van Kirk

Will no longer enter the Downtown Terminal

Re-aligned to loop through the Downtown via Main Street, Wellington Street, George Street, Nelson Street

25 Edenbrook

Will no longer enter the Downtown Terminal

Re-aligned to loop through the Downtown via Main Street, Wellington Street, George Street, Nelson Street

511 Züm Steeles

Schedule adjustments to weekday rush-hour schedule

---------------------

I wonder why the 24 and 25 are being taken out of Downtown Terminal. Maybe they want to add new routes that go there and there isnt enough room inside the terminal itself?

I wonder why the 24 and 25 are being taken out of Downtown Terminal. Maybe they want to add new routes that go there and there isnt enough room inside the terminal itself?

The Brampton Transit and Zum line maps should be adjusted to show that connections to 2, 502 and now 24 and 25 can be made at the Downtown Terminal, even if they are served outside the terminal loop. The terminal route box will look pretty empty with only 1/A, 52 and 501.

The Brampton Transit and Zum line maps should be adjusted to show that connections to 2, 502 and now 24 and 25 can be made at the Downtown Terminal, even if they are served outside the terminal loop. The terminal route box will look pretty empty with only 1/A, 52 and 501.

I agree, that's a good idea. The should also rename Theatre Lane/Nelson Zum Stations to Downtown Terminal Zum Station.

Then they need to add on there that walking transfer is needed as some people will be looking around the terminal for those routes that dont serve the terminal!

Then they need to add on there that walking transfer is needed as some people will be looking around the terminal for those routes that dont serve the terminal!

As if people actually read fine print on maps, people only read the backs of cereal boxes and twitter feeds now-a-days. And I hardly consider it a walking transfer considering the distance from the 501 platform to Main Street is less than the length of Gateway Terminal.

As if people actually read fine print on maps, people only read the backs of cereal boxes and twitter feeds now-a-days. And I hardly consider it a walking transfer considering the distance from the 501 platform to Main Street is less than the length of Gateway Terminal.

Exactly. All you need are a sign or two within the terminal loop to direct people looking for the 2/502 and 24/25 around the corner to Main Street. Not a big deal.

• 2 weeks later...

As for why they are moving those routes out, there may be new west Brampton routes coming in serving the new residential areas between Chinguacousy & Mississauga Rds, including an extension of the 501 west & north to Mount Pleasant. Spoke to a rep at an open house recently. Nothing concrete yet (as of then), but possible plans in the works.

Also, I think BT could get away with turning Nelson St from Main to George into a transit-only or no-car zone/mall, adding space that is much-needed and making it easier for buses to get in and out of the terminal. Just my thoughts

Got a question.

I am curious whereabouts within the Trinity Common Mall that the Transit Centre is located in? I have only been there a grand total of two times and haven't been able to find it at both times, nor was I even aware that there was a transit centre (similar to Bramlea Transit Centre and Brampton Gateway) that exists.

any help can be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Trinity+Common+Mall+At+Great+Lakes+Dr,+Brampton,+ON&hl=en&ll=43.731449,-79.763038&spn=0.002221,0.005284&sll=43.731557,-79.762566&sspn=0.002221,0.005284&oq=trinity+common+mall+at+great+lakes+dr&t=h&gl=ca&hnear=Trinity+Common+Mall+At+Great+Lakes+Dr&z=18

The link has the exact location of the terminal. Its not like a usual terminal where there is a nice building and place for the buses to turn around. Its more like the bus terminal at York U with stops on both sides of the street where many different routes connect. I do believe a transit store is there too as a part of one other buildings that line that street.

https://maps.google....t+Lakes+Dr&z=18

The link has the exact location of the terminal. Its not like a usual terminal where there is a nice building and place for the buses to turn around. Its more like the bus terminal at York U with stops on both sides of the street where many different routes connect. I do believe a transit store is there too as a part of one other buildings that line that street.

There is a small concession building at the south-west end of the platforms with a small waiting area and a booth for tickets, etc, and drivers facilities. A friend I know used to work there, he had a few stories...

https://maps.google....,155.47,,0,-0.9

Trinity Common Terminal isn't bad for being integrated with the Mall, the only problem is it's a PITA with all the walking to get from, say, the terminal to TD Bank to SilverCity theatres. Can't really do anything about that though.

One terminal that sticks out as an afterthought is the Heart Lake Terminal, tucked away behind the mall in a very desolate, unfriendly location. I hope that one eventually gets revitalized, or the mall area back there can be improved.

There is a small concession building at the south-west end of the platforms with a small waiting area and a booth for tickets, etc, and drivers facilities. A friend I know used to work there, he had a few stories...

https://maps.google....,155.47,,0,-0.9

Trinity Common Terminal isn't bad for being integrated with the Mall, the only problem is it's a PITA with all the walking to get from, say, the terminal to TD Bank to SilverCity theatres. Can't really do anything about that though.

One terminal that sticks out as an afterthought is the Heart Lake Terminal, tucked away behind the mall in a very desolate, unfriendly location. I hope that one eventually gets revitalized, or the mall area back there can be improved.

In fairness, Heart Lake Town Centre really isn't a mall in the same sense as BCC, Shoppers, or Trinity, it's a plaza. Considering the space BT had to work with, that terminal is very functional. The only way to improve it would be to buy the land on the northwest corner of Sandalwood/Conestoga and build a terminal there (assuming that condo project is finally dead) or create an even smaller "terminal" where the 502 terminates and have every Heart Lake route except the 21 realigned into it.

As for Trinity, whoever planned that mall in the first place had no intention of buses going in there or just didn't give a rats ass. All the routes waste significant time going in and out of the terminal and there's really nothing that can be done about it. I'm very curious to see if the city of Brampton will allow buses to turn left from Bovaird E/B into the back end of Trinity when Zum Bovaird starts because the left from Bovaird to Great Lakes can easily take between two to five cycles.

As for Trinity, whoever planned that mall in the first place had no intention of buses going in there or just didn't give a rats ass. All the routes waste significant time going in and out of the terminal and there's really nothing that can be done about it. I'm very curious to see if the city of Brampton will allow buses to turn left from Bovaird E/B into the back end of Trinity when Zum Bovaird starts because the left from Bovaird to Great Lakes can easily take between two to five cycles.

Something has to be done. Technically, though the City of Brampton can only do so much - Bovaird is a regional road. However, Peel Region has been quite accomodating to Zum operations (the bus-only left turns at Queen and Central Park Drive, for example).

It's possible to fit a bus-only left turn lane to make that turn. I agree it would be very useful to let the 5 and 505 buses enter eastbound from that entranceway. The MTO would have to allow it too (as it's within their interchange area). But it wouldn't be unprecidented - the 401 and Hespeler Road (Highway 24) has a very similar arrangement to allow GRT buses from the north to enter the big box centre there. Just like Trininty Common, general traffic is only allowed in that entrance from the off-ramp, but a bus lane, with special signals, allow buses to make the left there.

https://maps.google....,172.13,,0,5.28

Something has to be done. Technically, though the City of Brampton can only do so much - Bovaird is a regional road. However, Peel Region has been quite accomodating to Zum operations (the bus-only left turns at Queen and Central Park Drive, for example).

It's possible to fit a bus-only left turn lane to make that turn. I agree it would be very useful to let the 5 and 505 buses enter eastbound from that entranceway. The MTO would have to allow it too (as it's within their interchange area). But it wouldn't be unprecidented - the 401 and Hespeler Road (Highway 24) has a very similar arrangement to allow GRT buses from the north to enter the big box centre there. Just like Trininty Common, general traffic is only allowed in that entrance from the off-ramp, but a bus lane, with special signals, allow buses to make the left there.

https://maps.google....,172.13,,0,5.28

I dont remember perfectly clearly but I think the map for the 505 shown in the PIC images shows it not diverting to the Trinity Commons Terminal but rather having a stop at Trinity Common on Bovaird. Can anyone else confirm or deny this?

I dont remember perfectly clearly but I think the map for the 505 shown in the PIC images shows it not diverting to the Trinity Commons Terminal but rather having a stop at Trinity Common on Bovaird. Can anyone else confirm or deny this?

Correct. It looks like Bovaird and Great Lakes/Nasmith.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone else noticed that it appears there is no signal priority for buses at the traffic light just north of Steeles (the one for buses exiting Brampton Gateway Terminal)? This along with the lack of a bus only turn lane from Main to Steeles makes the terminal add a good 5 to 10 minutes to the northbound commute of the 502.