Jump to content
Gil

Brampton Transit/Züm

Recommended Posts

Just a note that quite a few of the 2012 voith Xcelsiors have seem to made their way to Sandalwood within the past month. units 1211-1216 have been operating out of sandalwood for around 3 weeks now with 1214 being at Sandalwood the longest. My assumption is that it's likely due to the ongoing fleet shortage issue that Brampton Transit has been experiencing since last year and I was wondering if anyone was able to confirm that.

Also 0216 has been brought back into active service, initially it was sidelined at the back of Sandalwood Garage in the northwest parking lot but last friday I spotted it running on the 3 going NB while walking home. Other than that 0218 is the only other active 02.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Did Brampton Transit ever serve Finch Terminal? There are still signs that show GO, YRT TTC logos, but some signs (presumably older ones) that have the BT logo.

Yes. The old YRT 77 was interlined with BT.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Cityflyer said:

Yes. The old YRT 77 was interlined with BT.

To be more specific....

 

Both Brampton Transit and YRT paid for and operated the 77 as a joint service. Thus on maps it was listed under both operators.

 

This ended with the launch of ZUM service on Queen in 2010, and both properties now operate their own local services on the corridor.


Dan

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smallspy said:

To be more specific....

 

Both Brampton Transit and YRT paid for and operated the 77 as a joint service. Thus on maps it was listed under both operators.

 

This ended with the launch of ZUM service on Queen in 2010, and both properties now operate their own local services on the corridor.


Dan

I take it this the same case as the 185 Dixie operation by MiWay and BT?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi that not right, when zum and viva started york let zum on hwy 7 in york with  a added bus time for viva not be as long wait and not added fare. They did look in to keep it the same as the old 77 route with zum and viva sharing but york not put out add money to the fare in brampton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, tommike said:

hi that not right, when zum and viva started york let zum on hwy 7 in york with  a added bus time for viva not be as long wait and not added fare. They did look in to keep it the same as the old 77 route with zum and viva sharing but york not put out add money to the fare in brampton.

Do you want to try writing that again, but with punctuation and not being in a hurry this time?

 

Dan

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2019 at 10:18 AM, Doppelkupplung said:

I take it this the same case as the 185 Dixie operation by MiWay and BT?

Sort of...  with 77 there was a full operating, fare and service integration agreement (such that it was) for cost and fare sharing.   For 185 it's basically both sides contribute 3 buses and absorb the related operating costs and keeps the fare revenue.  

On 12/5/2019 at 5:30 PM, tommike said:

hi that not right, when zum and viva started york let zum on hwy 7 in york with  a added bus time for viva not be as long wait and not added fare. They did look in to keep it the same as the old 77 route with zum and viva sharing but york not put out add money to the fare in brampton.

Not sure what the hell you are trying to say, but Dan has it right.   

In the lead-up to the launch of Zum Queen there was a great deal of discussion between BT and YRT about how to service the corridor, but the basic service design currently in place along Highway 7 has been there since day one (not counting the short-lived BT 177 thing, but lets never speak of that again...).

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GM5000 said:

Sort of...  with 77 there was a full operating, fare and service integration agreement (such that it was) for cost and fare sharing.   For 185 it's basically both sides contribute 3 buses and absorb the related operating costs and keeps the fare revenue.  

Not sure what the hell you are trying to say, but Dan has it right.   

In the lead-up to the launch of Zum Queen there was a great deal of discussion between BT and YRT about how to service the corridor, but the basic service design currently in place along Highway 7 has been there since day one (not counting the short-lived BT 177 thing, but lets never speak of that again...).

With MiWay wanting to extend the 185 further south, how will the cost-sharing agreement work?  If BT ever decides to extend the 185 further north I could see something like the 502/103.

As for the 177, there is this YouTube clip with a bit of an explanation for those who don't know.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2019 at 12:09 AM, Gil said:

With MiWay wanting to extend the 185 further south, how will the cost-sharing agreement work?  If BT ever decides to extend the 185 further north I could see something like the 502/103.

As for the 177, there is this YouTube clip with a bit of an explanation for those who don't know.

MiWay would first have to tell BT that they want to extend 185 further south... but yes, it would likely look something like that (185A or something).

As for the 177, the Reader's Digest version is the opening of the new Bramalea Terminal was delayed, so it was decided to delay the launch of 501 until the terminal was open, so the 177/177A was created as a stop-gap measure, with the September service changes were implemented in two phases. It wound up causing a great deal of confusion and is not an experiment likely to be repeated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those that do not know, 2020 is going to be another year of Xcelsior's for the zum fleet as NFI won the tender for the zum buses as confirmed by a press release from New Flyer that they sent out on Dec. 12, 2019 

NFI Press release: https://www.newflyer.com/2019/12/brampton-extends-sustainable-brt-with-low-emission-high-capacity-buses-from-new-flyer/

For the Conventional buses, i'm going to be assuming NovaBus won the tender, although I haven't seen anything on their site and on the city of brampton website there's no tender out for buses at the moment.

Now the only thing i'm wondering is how many conventional buses will they buy, as we all know they are short on buses (28 units approximately after doing some fleet number math) down to 427 buses as compaired to 455 units total (and I assume that number was for 2016 or 2017 before major retirement started for the 02's and 03's). It would make sense for them to buy 28 units, can 0216 (sadly), and the remaining 03's (unless they want them as spares or something else, which i don't see happening) and then fix the shortage problem once and for all. But again this is BT after all so I don't expect that to happen anytime soon lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I figure it’s been out long enough to display, this is the new presto device being installed on all BT buses in the coming months, so far I’ve only driven 1155 with it and it works pretty well with no major issues 

im not sure if this is the final design for the operators controls, but I really hope they re design this 

@Jan Boic you posted in DRT about theirs, more than likely it’s the same device to be installed GTA wide 

D0057B60-9FB1-47BD-B671-EA80151FF1FB.jpeg

850BB2FF-89E7-4014-9202-A56EE2509269.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewFlyerFan said:

I figure it’s been out long enough to display, this is the new presto device being installed on all BT buses in the coming months, so far I’ve only driven 1155 with it and it works pretty well with no major issues 

im not sure if this is the final design for the operators controls, but I really hope they re design this 

@Jan Boic you posted in DRT about theirs, more than likely it’s the same device to be installed GTA wide 

D0057B60-9FB1-47BD-B671-EA80151FF1FB.jpeg

850BB2FF-89E7-4014-9202-A56EE2509269.jpeg

Thank You!!!! Yes same device for everyone. God that looks like a mess though. The printer is separate and you have to turn it on manually. Any chance you can get some more shots of it from the other side?! Where did they install the small card reader?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NewFlyerFan said:

I figure it’s been out long enough to display, this is the new presto device being installed on all BT buses in the coming months, so far I’ve only driven 1155 with it and it works pretty well with no major issues 

im not sure if this is the final design for the operators controls, but I really hope they re design this 

@Jan Boic you posted in DRT about theirs, more than likely it’s the same device to be installed GTA wide 

D0057B60-9FB1-47BD-B671-EA80151FF1FB.jpeg

850BB2FF-89E7-4014-9202-A56EE2509269.jpeg

I’ve got two questions for you regarding these as I still as of yet have not been able to catch the new DRT Units in service.  How do these new driver units work, and what are the new transfers like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are the test transfers. Just need to add the Oakville logo on it and they’ll be longer/wider than the current ones. 
 

nothing much different in terms of how the device works. New interface.

13CE0751-043E-4A41-B8CE-F5BA4A351BF6.jpeg

538D4A4E-5834-4FB6-958B-A2D8B4C1FA4E.jpeg

C1F47C69-B2D5-486D-AFBF-BABE88CA7E6D.jpeg

3F647EA8-8375-4DE3-AD18-F7B99473A17D.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2020 at 6:36 PM, Jan Boic said:

Here are the test transfers. Just need to add the Oakville logo on it and they’ll be longer/wider than the current ones. 
 

nothing much different in terms of how the device works. New interface.

13CE0751-043E-4A41-B8CE-F5BA4A351BF6.jpeg

538D4A4E-5834-4FB6-958B-A2D8B4C1FA4E.jpeg

C1F47C69-B2D5-486D-AFBF-BABE88CA7E6D.jpeg

3F647EA8-8375-4DE3-AD18-F7B99473A17D.jpeg

Beat me to it, thanks 

yes essentially all the new device is, is a revamped look at what it previously did. Display timing points, issue transfers and allow double tap ( I believe this is a Brampton feature only ) 

the transfers are longer now with the barcode and display a little more info. I’ll try and find a bus to get a shot on the other side but the secondary tap for a fail mode is on the top of the drivers device similar to the previous generation

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...