Gil

Brampton Transit/Züm

These images were provided by a coworker whose been getting shield buses pretty frequently 

The new flyer design is slanted and a two piece sliding panel giving the operator the choice of full enclosure or partial 

the nova design is a flat shield with the same functions as the new flyers - one note is 1404 was a demo shield and the final designs will not have the small rectangular window but everything else remains the same 

3F9F7111-67A9-45A4-BF47-B713AA448B17.jpeg

0384926D-74DF-4BEB-832F-6135F7F87103.jpeg

• Like 1

I was looking through Caledon's Transit Feasibility Study and there are references to asking Brampton Transit to extend additional service northward.  One request is slated to kick in on September 3, 2019 wasn't mentioned in the public consultations earlier this year:

New Brampton Transit Route, along Kennedy Road (2.5km north of Mayfield Road) to service Mayfield West, 19 trips per weekday each way.

According to the maps the route would run north from Heart Lake Terminal, north on Kennedy into the Mayfield West neighbourhood of Caledon.  It would provide two-way service along Kennedy.  How this will impact the northern end of the 7 KENNEDY route remains to be seen.

2 hours ago, Gil said:

According to the maps the route would run north from Heart Lake Terminal, north on Kennedy into the Mayfield West neighbourhood of Caledon.  It would provide two-way service along Kennedy.  How this will impact the northern end of the 7 KENNEDY route remains to be seen.

The final routing has changed from what was outlined in the study (see the Staff Report you linked) to run from Sandalwood Loop to Mayfield West via Hurontario/Mayfield/Kennedy.   No impact or changes to BT Route 7.  It wasn't included in the BT PIC's since the Caledon study hand't been finalized/approved yet.  

1901,1902 delivered to sandalwood garage, 2019 new flyer xcelsior with full roof fairings 

nah just kidding, Nova LFS diesels spec’d the same as the 2018s including the 1/3 doors and raised destination signs in the rear, I haven’t been inside but I’m assuming Allison transmission as well 

• Thanks 1

The CBC featured a Brampton Transit driver last week, who decided he'd learn Punjabi to converse with his passengers, many of whom are new immigrants. 

Route diversions for the viewing party as Jurassic Square are on for tonight I presume.  Are there any contingencies if they win?  I can imagine the crowd spilling into the adjacent streets to celebrate, which could impact service out of the transit terminal.

Also, there's a bit of a sneak preview of the September Service Changes stemming from the PIC held earlier in the spring:

We'd like to thank everyone who attended our Public Information Centres this past March and April and/or provided feedback online. We appreciate your comments and suggestions!

As a result of your feedback and our approved budget from City Council, here is a little preview of what we’re working on for our September Service Improvements:

501A/501C Züm Queen
- Additional eastbound trips to York University starting from Bramalea Terminal, and Airport Road and Queen Street in the AM Peak and Weekday Mid-day.
- 501A and 501C Weekday PM Peak frequency increased from every 12 minutes to every 11 minutes. Frequency departures for westbound trips from York University will be every 5 – 6 minutes.

23 Sandalwood
- Minor route realignment in Mount Pleasant Village; re-routed to Bleasdale Avenue, to Creditview Road, to Veterans Drive.

All 2019 Novas have been delivered going from 1901 - 1919 I believe ( I’ll have to double check ) as well as 2 xcelsior articulated Zum buses, unknown if XD or XDE60

On 7/14/2019 at 4:49 PM, NewFlyerFan said:

All 2019 Novas have been delivered going from 1901 - 1919 I believe ( I’ll have to double check ) as well as 2 xcelsior articulated Zum buses, unknown if XD or XDE60

I'm really hoping they bought at least 25-30 buses because I honestly feel like just 18 is not going to be enough to solve their fleet shortage problem for when September comes and the service starts to go back to its peak (plus any new service BT may add). Given the amount of zum on local rares that occurred through mid - end of 2018 and 2019 up to the start of summer service. Also if they are XDE's they should have a high voltage warning sticker on the rear engine door and on the right rear maintenance access panel, like this one

IMAG1408.jpg

It's absolutely amazing that Brampton Transit is on a huge uptick in ridership but yet, the fleet is being stretched to its limits.
I don't know whether or not, or even just to assume that there'll be a big amount of buses ordered in the next 5 years, or even 10 years to solve the ridership surging and to keep the fleet healthy with a good spare ratio.
Call me crazy on this idea but is there talk that the ZUM fleet can withstand a loss of the first XDE60's, from 2012 to be rebuilt and repurposed into conventional service? I do recall when speaking to one of the planning supervisors at one of their public information centres in March that mentioned to me about putting those ZUM buses, upon their mid-life rebuilds, to be repurposed into conventional service.
Would be interesting how Brampton manages its ridership growth properly.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

It's absolutely amazing that Brampton Transit is on a huge uptick in ridership but yet, the fleet is being stretched to its limits.
I don't know whether or not, or even just to assume that there'll be a big amount of buses ordered in the next 5 years, or even 10 years to solve the ridership surging and to keep the fleet healthy with a good spare ratio.
Call me crazy on this idea but is there talk that the ZUM fleet can withstand a loss of the first XDE60's, from 2012 to be rebuilt and repurposed into conventional service? I do recall when speaking to one of the planning supervisors at one of their public information centres in March that mentioned to me about putting those ZUM buses, upon their mid-life rebuilds, to be repurposed into conventional service.
Would be interesting how Brampton manages its ridership growth properly.

It’s honestly a hit or miss right now, as it Stands now we will not be able to replace the 02/03/04 flyers with the amount of buses we’re getting and the expansion in service the city keeps wanting to implement, the original plan was to replace the worst of the 02s but that’s not happening yet 

as for repurposing the 2012s it can’t happen just yet, come September we are stretched to the limit and often times will have cancelled 501s due to lack of Zum buses, including the XDE40s the garages are empty once rush hour hits 

the fact that we only received 2 XDE60s this year is somewhat alarming, hopefully next year the order is reversed and it’s a large Zum order instead 

There are many many many service expansion plans on hold that the public doesn’t know about yet, simply because we don’t have enough buses 

On 7/18/2019 at 1:37 AM, NewFlyerFan said:

It’s honestly a hit or miss right now, as it Stands now we will not be able to replace the 02/03/04 flyers with the amount of buses we’re getting and the expansion in service the city keeps wanting to implement, the original plan was to replace the worst of the 02s but that’s not happening yet 

as for repurposing the 2012s it can’t happen just yet, come September we are stretched to the limit and often times will have cancelled 501s due to lack of Zum buses, including the XDE40s the garages are empty once rush hour hits 

the fact that we only received 2 XDE60s this year is somewhat alarming, hopefully next year the order is reversed and it’s a large Zum order instead 

There are many many many service expansion plans on hold that the public doesn’t know about yet, simply because we don’t have enough buses 

Seeing as that's the case I really don't understand why they didn't order a larger amount of buses. Unless funding or storage spots are causing this issue, there really should be no reason for them to hold back on making a 30 unit order. At this point Brampton is just shooting themselves in the foot with this move.

Adding to that a bit of an off topic issue, in starting to get the feeling that electric bus program will either be put on hold or cancelled all together. BT already has its hands tied with the shortage issue and holding their expansion plans I can't really see them having time to introduce electric buses in the middle of all of this. Just a thought that arises though, so don't take my word for it.

On 7/20/2019 at 3:43 PM, BramptonTransitFan84 said:

Adding to that a bit of an off topic issue, in starting to get the feeling that electric bus program will either be put on hold or cancelled all together. BT already has its hands tied with the shortage issue and holding their expansion plans I can't really see them having time to introduce electric buses in the middle of all of this. Just a thought that arises though, so don't take my word for it.

Would make sense to let TTC do their electric bus testing and learn from their experience. 

42 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

Would make sense to let TTC do their electric bus testing and learn from their experience. 

Brampton was suppose to get the LFSe amd would share the results with the TTC. I am unsure if the funding got cut by the Ford (no surprise) or if the project is still on.

6 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

Brampton was suppose to get the LFSe amd would share the results with the TTC. I am unsure if the funding got cut by the Ford (no surprise) or if the project is still on.

The funding was cut for that program by the Provincial Government. That same program was also paying for electric buses for YRT.

Brampton was looking for a way to pay for those buses from their own budgets, and I do believe that they have managed to do so. I don't know if YRT is doing the same.

Dan

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smallspy said:

The funding was cut for that program by the Provincial Government. That same program was also paying for electric buses for YRT.

Brampton was looking for a way to pay for those buses from their own budgets, and I do believe that they have managed to do so. I don't know if YRT is doing the same.

Dan

That’s correct, Brampton received funding both from their own budget and from the Trudeau government directly, the timeline for the arrival of the LFSe isn’t known but the new sandalwood extension will be equipped with chargers if it hasn’t already been 

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, smallspy said:

Dan

York Region Council agreed to replace the Province's $4.5 million contribution towards purchasing the 6 battery-electric buses with money from the Vehicle Replacement reserve fund. I think they also received additional federal funding to cover the province's former share of the charging stations.

Details in this staff report from January 10, 2019.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Will they actually buy some XE60s?

It's good they are testing the quick charge buses too but I don't think the GTA is ready for any large scale quick charge fleet when TA is charging their buses in peak hour in the summer with everyone running their AC. I wonder how ready we are for the expanding population needing electricity, all these electric vehicles (private and public), new electrically powered transit lines and RER.

In case anyone missed it 1901 - 1904 entered service on the 16th. I got pictures of 1901, 1902 & 1903 but didn't get any interior pics yet. They seem to have a passenger counter by the rear door and on the exterior they got the same mirrors as the XDE60's (2014's and up), a smaller HVAC unit (the manufacturer is unknown at the moment) & have the engine fan moved from the rear engine door to the left rear maintenance panel (which seems to be giving better cooling as the rear was not as hot as usual). 1901 had some electrical problems a few days later and 1903 (on the first day) likely experienced the same as it was stuck at sandalwood & airport for a good 30 minutes while on the 23 and was changed off afterwards.

1903 on the 23 on 08/16/19

DSC01944.thumb.JPG.9998724c4f73bdb2538a9e3ae05e11f7.JPG

1901 on the 104 on 08/16/19

DSC01959.thumb.JPG.dcfe783951eb8fb0c91e6d87cf9f59b6.JPG

1902 on the 104 on 08/16/19

DSC01977.thumb.JPG.d9a85887b7859c5c23767260344d73d1.JPG

• Like 5