Brampton Transit/Züm

Gil

On 10/5/2021 at 7:08 PM, G.A said:

So far it's the only one out. I saw it a few times out this month.

2150 was out today so it seems that and the two have been rotating in use through the week. With that I think its safe to say they have returned from whatever issue caused them to go MIA in prior months

Spotted a züm artic on the NB 50 gore road on john garland blvd around 11:40 PM last night. I couldnt see the fleet number and it wasnt tracking.

I know züm artics on local routes were happening quite often for a while, but i dont remember ever seeing or tracking one on the 50.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, H4 5600 said:

Spotted a züm artic on the NB 50 gore road on john garland blvd around 11:40 PM last night. I couldnt see the fleet number and it wasnt tracking.

I know züm artics on local routes were happening quite often for a while, but i dont remember ever seeing or tracking one on the 50.

May have been the only available bus at the garage eh?

2 hours ago, SpadinaAve2134 said:

May have been the only available bus at the garage eh?

Definitely not only available bus at night brampton has quite a surplus in evenings, it was likely being covered by an operator done for the night and extended if it wasn’t tracking. Bramptons slowly getting away from the stigma of zum buses being for zum only and will use whatever bus needed to cover work 

• Like 3

On 10/8/2021 at 7:14 PM, ZümmyZüm said:

Definitely not only available bus at night brampton has quite a surplus in evenings, it was likely being covered by an operator done for the night and extended if it wasn’t tracking. Bramptons slowly getting away from the stigma of zum buses being for zum only and will use whatever bus needed to cover work 

Still quite the surprise as that is likely the first time a XDE60 has covered a Clark run besides the 18 Dixie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2021 at 5:08 PM, ZümmyZüm said:

Heard from a friend that they were bought for crash testing and now their being sold as it. 217 body wise seems to be in the best condition out of all of them. Some are noted that the engine has failed though

• Like 1

Does anybody happen to know what's going on with züm 1155? Last time I was active was December 29th last year. On Transsee it hasn't tracked since February 15th 2020 & T55 shows 'no info' as anything beyond a year gets the recent run info deleted, however on Flickr I've seen a post of in in December 29th last year so maybe it's tracker is broken or something

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2021 at 9:28 AM, G.A said:

2107 and 2108 have entered service. 

I find it odd that the 21' zum XDE60's have not entered service yet (assuming they bought any) usually they would be in service by now based on previous years although there is always the possibility of there being delays due to COVID

54 minutes ago, BramptonTransitFan84 said:

I find it odd that the 21' zum XDE60's have not entered service yet (assuming they bought any) usually they would be in service by now based on previous years although there is always the possibility of there being delays due to COVID

I'm curious if they acquired any this year. I will find what I can on that. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Significant service reductions coming to Brampton Transit effective Monday January 17.

City of Brampton | Brampton Transit | January 17 Service Changes

Due to COVID-19 related staff shortages and reduced ridership, effective January 17, 2022, Brampton Transit will be implementing temporary service cancellations and reductions to ensure our transit system can continue to safely move people around the city effectively. 

For schedule information visit triplinx.ca 

For customer assistance call our Contact Centre at 905.874.2999

Routes cancelled until further notice (including weekday and weekends):  

• 501A/C Züm Queen (501 still operating)
  • 511C Züm Steeles (511/511A still operating)
  • 561 Züm Queen West
  • 13 Avondale
  • 18B Dixie (18 Dixie still operating)
  • 21 Heart Lake
  • 25 Edenbrook
  • 27 Robert Parkinson
  • 28 Wanless
  • 32 Father Tobin 
  • 33 Peter Robertson
  • 36 Gardenbrook
  • 40 Central Industrial
  • 55 Elbern Markell
  • 58 Financial Drive
  • 65 Seniors Shopper
  • 81 Mayfield West
  • 92 Bramalea GO
  • 104 Chinguacousy Express
  • 185 Dixie Express
  • 199 UTM Express
  • School Special Routes 200-217 

Note: School Specials (200-217) will resume if students return to in-person learning

Evening service cancelled 
(after approximately 7:00 PM)

• 12 Grenoble
  • 16 Southgate
  • 26 Mount Pleasant

Saturday service cancelled

• 12 Grenoble
  • 16 Southgate
  • 17 Howden
  • 19 Ferforest

Schedule changes and frequency reductions:

• 501 Züm Queen 
    • 10 minute service east of Bramalea Terminal
  • 505 Züm Bovaird 
    • Peak frequency reduced to 20 minutes
  • 511C Züm Steeles 
    • 511C to Sheridan College cancelled; 511/511A continue to operate
  • 2 Main 
    • Weekday peak and mid-day service reduced to 30 minutes
  • 3/3A McLaughlin
    • Weekday peak service reduced to 15 minutes
  • 4/4A Chinguacousy
    • Weekday schedule adjustments 
  • 5/5A Bovaird
  • 7/7A Kennedy
  • 9 Vodden
  • 12 Grenoble 
    • Weekday service only 
  • 15 Bramalea 
    • Weekday peak service reduced to 15 minutes 
    • 15A mid-day service cancelled
  • 16 Southgate 
    • Weekday service only
  • 17 Howden 
    • Weekday service only
  • 19 Fernforest 
    • Weekday service only
  • 23 Sandalwood 
    • Peak frequency reduced to 20 minutes
  • 29/29A Williams
  • 32 Father Tobin
  • 50/5A Gore Road
  • 60 Mississauga Road 
    • Peak frequency reduced to 70 minutes; mid-day service cancelled

Resource availability and ridership will continue to be monitored and Brampton Transit will restore services as soon as possible. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Question I posed in the MiWay thread for those who don't normally venture there, if MiWay were to extend their 51 TOMKEN route north into Brampton, where would be a logical place for it to loop?  On street running say along Advance and Steeles to partially cover the currently suspended 40 CENTRAL INDUSTRIAL or run it into a terminal like Bramalea GO, Brampton Gateway or even Bramalea City Centre?

Another question was the recent influx of cross-border routes into Mississauga operated by MiWay.  Are these at the request of Brampton Transit or some sort of collaborative effort.  The 57 COURTNEYPARK was recently rerouted to Sheridan College and an upcoming new route the 18 McLAUGHLIN-DERRY will run from the 407 GO stop to Sheridan College (and I spotted it on the updated COVID system map, but not the 57).  Can Sheridan accommodate the new route or has the reduction in Brampton Transit service freed up some space (ie: no 104 CHINGUACOUSY EXPRESS)?

With Courtneypark and now Derry getting one-seat rides into Brampton, the only other corridor that has a lot of transfer traffic is Britannia/Matheson.  Is the transfer demand reaching the point where it's more efficient to run these types of routes vs. running the connecting routes more frequently?  While the factory workers transferring at Sheridan might not be an issue right now, once in-person classes resume it will get crowded at that particular terminal.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 6:14 PM, Gil said:

Question I posed in the MiWay thread for those who don't normally venture there, if MiWay were to extend their 51 TOMKEN route north into Brampton, where would be a logical place for it to loop?  On street running say along Advance and Steeles to partially cover the currently suspended 40 CENTRAL INDUSTRIAL or run it into a terminal like Bramalea GO, Brampton Gateway or even Bramalea City Centre?

Another question was the recent influx of cross-border routes into Mississauga operated by MiWay.  Are these at the request of Brampton Transit or some sort of collaborative effort.  The 57 COURTNEYPARK was recently rerouted to Sheridan College and an upcoming new route the 18 McLAUGHLIN-DERRY will run from the 407 GO stop to Sheridan College (and I spotted it on the updated COVID system map, but not the 57).  Can Sheridan accommodate the new route or has the reduction in Brampton Transit service freed up some space (ie: no 104 CHINGUACOUSY EXPRESS)?

With Courtneypark and now Derry getting one-seat rides into Brampton, the only other corridor that has a lot of transfer traffic is Britannia/Matheson.  Is the transfer demand reaching the point where it's more efficient to run these types of routes vs. running the connecting routes more frequently?  While the factory workers transferring at Sheridan might not be an issue right now, once in-person classes resume it will get crowded at that particular terminal.

While I don't have as much expertise on this, I will say for the 51 TOMKEN the most logical terminus would be Bramalea GO imo. All the bus bays at Bramalea Term are already filled route wise and I highly doubt BT will be willing to have it share a bus bay like they did wit the 185/18 when that was still a thing (just a hunch I have), also not to mention that the layover bays are almost always filled with spare buses so there wouldn't be any space for the 51's layover outside of the bus bay. The same goes for gateway minus the layover situation (BGT has about double the layover line size that Bramalea Term does)

As for the situation with Sheridan.... ah where do I start. First of all I want to say BT really should've built 2 bus lanes instead of one in anticipation of expanding routes and with the interest of having dedicated layover lanes but anyway that's just my opinion after seeing how the current layout runs as a prev. Sheridan student.

Getting straight to the point. From how I see it, no. MiWay already has 2 buses sharing 1 tight spot for the 66/61 (plus the 57 now) and at times where artics are running on both routes or get behind each other, i've seen them get close to piling into the 53/54/56 WB stop. As for the BT only lane you can forget about there as even without the 104 running you still have the (from steels to Sheridan) 3/4/51WB/511WB and then moving back a bit 51EB/511EB + layover (usually an artic). So as you can see it gets pretty crowded, when its a full rush and all the buses come in at once there literally no free spaces in that lane by the stops and it doesn't help that the only layover spot is for the 511 exclusively at the end of the lane going towards Sheridan right by the turn. (now you see why I wish they axed a lane of the parking lot to the right of the lane in favour of 2 platforms or layover spots)

Honestly the only way I see the 18 working is if they are able to put a stop right across from the student centre, which even there is a tight spot because you have 2 directly in front and behind the section there which just barely fits a 40 foot bus. Not to mention there's a fire hydrant there which assuming transit agency's aren't excluded from is a whole tone of fines waiting to happen.

But even saying that they will probably just plop the 18 right in the same spot as the 66/61/57 and cause a scenario where 3 MiWay buses are all parked there, a 52/53/54/56 EB bus is there and now the 52/53/54/56 WB bus is blocked by a MiWay bus. idk maybe I'm stuck thinking inside the box here but that's just how I see it

I also completely forgot to mention this but on the 18th 0403 covered a run on the 502. I managed to grab a pic of it at Gateway Terminal. Although after reaching Sandalwood Loop it went back to the garage

DSC04623.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2022 at 11:55 PM, BramptonTransitFan84 said:

As for the situation with Sheridan.... ah where do I start. First of all I want to say BT really should've built 2 bus lanes instead of one in anticipation of expanding routes and with the interest of having dedicated layover lanes but anyway that's just my opinion after seeing how the current layout runs as a prev. Sheridan student.

Getting straight to the point. From how I see it, no. MiWay already has 2 buses sharing 1 tight spot for the 66/61 (plus the 57 now) and at times where artics are running on both routes or get behind each other, i've seen them get close to piling into the 53/54/56 WB stop. As for the BT only lane you can forget about there as even without the 104 running you still have the (from steels to Sheridan) 3/4/51WB/511WB and then moving back a bit 51EB/511EB + layover (usually an artic). So as you can see it gets pretty crowded, when its a full rush and all the buses come in at once there literally no free spaces in that lane by the stops and it doesn't help that the only layover spot is for the 511 exclusively at the end of the lane going towards Sheridan right by the turn. (now you see why I wish they axed a lane of the parking lot to the right of the lane in favour of 2 platforms or layover spots)

Honestly the only way I see the 18 working is if they are able to put a stop right across from the student centre, which even there is a tight spot because you have 2 directly in front and behind the section there which just barely fits a 40 foot bus. Not to mention there's a fire hydrant there which assuming transit agency's aren't excluded from is a whole tone of fines waiting to happen.

But even saying that they will probably just plop the 18 right in the same spot as the 66/61/57 and cause a scenario where 3 MiWay buses are all parked there, a 52/53/54/56 EB bus is there and now the 52/53/54/56 WB bus is blocked by a MiWay bus. idk maybe I'm stuck thinking inside the box here but that's just how I see it

I can't seem to find a terminal map for Sheridan's Davis Campus in Brampton (is it included on the back side of the transit map?) the best I could find is a 2019 detour notice archived by Transit Toronto.

Sheridan College Terminal August 26.JPG

MiWay has officially announced the service changes taking place later this month including the new 18 McLAUGHLIN-DERRY.  There's a new terminal map for MiWay routes at the Davis Campus which shows the new route stopping with the other Brampton Transit routes south of the crosswalk.  According to the detour map are there other places on campus for the buses to stop?  Could they build a proper terminal in the parking lot or on a currently vacant site somewhere else on campus?  

• Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 2:38 PM, Gil said:

I can't seem to find a terminal map for Sheridan's Davis Campus in Brampton (is it included on the back side of the transit map?) the best I could find is a 2019 detour notice archived by Transit Toronto.

Sheridan College Terminal August 26.JPG

MiWay has officially announced the service changes taking place later this month including the new 18 McLAUGHLIN-DERRY.  There's a new terminal map for MiWay routes at the Davis Campus which shows the new route stopping with the other Brampton Transit routes south of the crosswalk.  According to the detour map are there other places on campus for the buses to stop?  Could they build a proper terminal in the parking lot or on a currently vacant site somewhere else on campus?  

Okay so with a bit of photoshop magic, this is the current layout of Sheridan college for the Brampton Transit stops. Basically the MiWay stops are two dots above stop #2618

Looking at the MiWay's terminal map for Sheridan including the 18 it is clear that there must've been some negotiation between Sheridan, Brampton Transit and MiWay to have Brampton Transit merge stop #2617 into #2618 in favour of having the 18 takeover stop #2617 as a MiWay stop. Which this is the easiest answer, it still wont solve the problem of what happens when all the buses come in at once during peak peak rush hour in the morning and evening. Especially if this was pre-covid this layout is just a shitshow waiting to happen imo, but I digress.

Answering your question of the Terminal. From what I can see its a yes but no type of scenario. Yes because ideally in the name of encouraging public transit among the students they should honestly just axe the entire north lot next to 4224 and 4225 and just turn that into an entire terminal in itself. The pros of that is a better terminal for all the buses with the introduction of layover points and perfect route connections without having to run across 2 active roads to catch any bus. Especially considering the amount of green space beyond the parking lot going towards Steeles. But at the same time no because I can guarantee if that parking lot was to vanish in favour of a bus terminal Students would be LIVID, with the current parking layout there is still not enough space, I remember the few times I drove to my classes when I used to go to Sheridan (2018-2019) and could BARELY find parking as all major lots were full with 1-2 free spaces if you were lucky and honestly I highly doubt Sheridan would be willing to do such a thing anyway since i'm pretty sure they are more than aware of the parking situation when the campus is at peak traffic levels (pre-covid)

Essentially there's no perfect answer to this situation as far as I can see, but even if I was still a Sheridan student i'd be in favour of turning the north lot into a proper terminal, that way everything can be merged into one spot with layover spots and space for additional routes down the line (and hopefully even GO service at some point)

Sheridan College Terminal August 26 (EDITED).jpg

17 hours ago, BramptonTransitFan84 said:

Okay so with a bit of photoshop magic, this is the current layout of Sheridan college for the Brampton Transit stops. Basically the MiWay stops are two dots above stop #2618

Looking at the MiWay's terminal map for Sheridan including the 18 it is clear that there must've been some negotiation between Sheridan, Brampton Transit and MiWay to have Brampton Transit merge stop #2617 into #2618 in favour of having the 18 takeover stop #2617 as a MiWay stop. Which this is the easiest answer, it still wont solve the problem of what happens when all the buses come in at once during peak peak rush hour in the morning and evening. Especially if this was pre-covid this layout is just a shitshow waiting to happen imo, but I digress.

Answering your question of the Terminal. From what I can see its a yes but no type of scenario. Yes because ideally in the name of encouraging public transit among the students they should honestly just axe the entire north lot next to 4224 and 4225 and just turn that into an entire terminal in itself. The pros of that is a better terminal for all the buses with the introduction of layover points and perfect route connections without having to run across 2 active roads to catch any bus. Especially considering the amount of green space beyond the parking lot going towards Steeles. But at the same time no because I can guarantee if that parking lot was to vanish in favour of a bus terminal Students would be LIVID, with the current parking layout there is still not enough space, I remember the few times I drove to my classes when I used to go to Sheridan (2018-2019) and could BARELY find parking as all major lots were full with 1-2 free spaces if you were lucky and honestly I highly doubt Sheridan would be willing to do such a thing anyway since i'm pretty sure they are more than aware of the parking situation when the campus is at peak traffic levels (pre-covid)

Essentially there's no perfect answer to this situation as far as I can see, but even if I was still a Sheridan student i'd be in favour of turning the north lot into a proper terminal, that way everything can be merged into one spot with layover spots and space for additional routes down the line (and hopefully even GO service at some point)

Sheridan College Terminal August 26 (EDITED).jpg

I'm surprised Brampton Transit only has maps (from 2018!)for the Bramalea City Centre, Bramalea GO (pre-construction), Brampton Gateway, Downtown and Trinity Common terminals on their terminals webpage.  I tracked down one of my Brampton Transit maps (Sept. 2019 - I don't know if I have anything more recent, then again COVID pretty much scuttled any service improvements) and took photos with my phone since I don't have access to a scanner.  I do like that they identify the MiWay, TTC and YRT routes where they do share a terminal and wish they'd do the same with the GO bus routes.  Apologies for the quality and for whatever reason they keep uploading from my phone to landscape! 

If anyone wants better quality images, I can try taking one per terminal or so.  Just let me know! 

IMG_20220214_1536322.jpg

IMG_20220214_1538024.jpg

Does anyone here work for Brampton Transit? Did they ever explain the rationale as to why Brampton Transit buses turn on their 4-way flashers every time they serve a stop? 

At YRT, operators are told to only use 4-ways at railway crossings and only when you are expecting to sit and stay for a while at a stop. The rationale being that we don't want the bus signals to confuse motorists as to what the bus is doing. A right turn signal signifies the bus is serving the stop and will be moving along shortly, please wait. A 4-way signal signifies the bus is sitting at the stop and will be for a little while, please go around.

It's also far safer to not have cars go around and try to right hook the bus, especially when the bus is about to pull out from a bus bay. Not to mention passengers disembarking the bus that might be in the car's path when they're trying to go around the bus. So why does Brampton Transit do this?

It's also very annoying when you are trailing behind a Brampton Transit and serving stops together. You never know when the Brampton bus is going to suddenly decide to take a 2 minute hold at a stop because it has its flashers on at every single stop and you can't distinguish them serving a stop or holding back because they're running hot. It's confusing.

I gather this is also the same reason why TTC removed 4-way signals from railroad crossings, to avoid confusion and telling drivers to go around when it is obviously safer for them to not go around.

8 minutes ago, York Transit said:

Does anyone here work for Brampton Transit? Did they ever explain the rationale as to why Brampton Transit buses turn on their 4-way flashers every time they serve a stop? 

At YRT, operators are told to only use 4-ways at railway crossings and only when you are expecting to sit and stay for a while at a stop. The rationale being that we don't want the bus signals to confuse motorists as to what the bus is doing. A right turn signal signifies the bus is serving the stop and will be moving along shortly, please wait. A 4-way signal signifies the bus is sitting at the stop and will be for a little while, please go around.

It's also far safer to not have cars go around and try to right hook the bus, especially when the bus is about to pull out from a bus bay. Not to mention passengers disembarking the bus that might be in the car's path when they're trying to go around the bus. So why does Brampton Transit do this?

It's also very annoying when you are trailing behind a Brampton Transit and serving stops together. You never know when the Brampton bus is going to suddenly decide to take a 2 minute hold at a stop because it has its flashers on at every single stop and you can't distinguish them serving a stop or holding back because they're running hot. It's confusing.

I gather this is also the same reason why TTC removed 4-way signals from railroad crossings, to avoid confusion and telling drivers to go around when it is obviously safer for them to not go around.

Quite a few systems use their 4 ways when they serve a stop. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, York Transit said:

I used to work there and it’s actually a policy however many operators won’t do it, the 4 ways switch is located right below the steering wheel column on the floor so you actually use your foot and hold it down to keep the 4 ways on. I agree it’s frustrating, almost as bad as it being all red signals instead of yellow on the rear. Unfortunately I don’t think I ever took a photo of it. 

unlike miway for example which has it programmed for when doors are opened ( front and rear door interlock engaged ), Brampton has it as an approaching stop and serving the stop policy. Since there is no interlock on Brampton buses ( front door ) it is operator controlled and therefor not always predictable 

• Like 1