Brampton Transit/Züm

Gil

Written deputation submitted to the Metrolinx board meeting from Brampton's CAO includes a map of future Zum routes that mostly aligns with the routes in the "Advancing Transit Priorities" map.
http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf/board_agenda/20200220/Letter-from-City-of-Brampton-dated-Feb-19-2020-re-FRTN.pdf

Here's a rough comparison (feedback welcomed) between the last slide from the City of Brampton's presentation in the above-noted letter, and the Brampton portion of the map from the Advancing Transit Priorities presentation.

Comparison-Map.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2020 at 3:44 PM, NewFlyerFan said:

I figure it’s been out long enough to display, this is the new presto device being installed on all BT buses in the coming months, so far I’ve only driven 1155 with it and it works pretty well with no major issues 

im not sure if this is the final design for the operators controls, but I really hope they re design this 

@Jan Boic you posted in DRT about theirs, more than likely it’s the same device to be installed GTA wide 

D0057B60-9FB1-47BD-B671-EA80151FF1FB.jpeg

850BB2FF-89E7-4014-9202-A56EE2509269.jpeg

At this point anything is better than whatever TTC currently has.

On 1/23/2020 at 11:46 PM, BramptonTransitFan84 said:

For those that do not know, 2020 is going to be another year of Xcelsior's for the zum fleet as NFI won the tender for the zum buses as confirmed by a press release from New Flyer that they sent out on Dec. 12, 2019 

NFI Press release: https://www.newflyer.com/2019/12/brampton-extends-sustainable-brt-with-low-emission-high-capacity-buses-from-new-flyer/

2075 and 2078 coming to you. Seen at Flying J at Headingley, just west of Winnipeg perimeter.

IMG_20200325_084621__01.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure you are all aware but Brampton Transit has implemented a new system to help aid with social distancing due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Such things as:

- Limiting buses to half capacity on all routes

- Reducing service throughout the week to weekend service

- Runing the züm XDE60's on high capacity routes such as on the 7 Kennedy with the full route being züm XDE60's during rush hour and the route being half XDE60 and half conventional buses outside of rush. The 4 Chinguacousy (all branches), 15 Bramalea (all branches) being fully run by züm XDE60's at all times as well as the 18 Dixie however I have not tracked any buses on the 18 since they implemented this move in response to COVID-19

- No fares required to board the bus until further notice

- Rear door boarding only on all buses. An exception are those in need of a lower entry from the kneeling system, those who need the wheelchair ramp and possibly strollers (though strollers were not mentioned on their site)

Recently I went for a walk and happened to see the züm XDE60's in action on the 4/4a in person. However I didn't happen to see any barriers or tape by the poles by the middle exit door. Now this could've been just a one off bus (unit 1479) or they actually aren't putting anything on the artics. If someone (preferably an driver, GSP or mechanic. Don't go out if you don't have to) could confirm for me what they are using to block off the front section that would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: They are using caution tape to block off specified areas and the 7 is all XDE60 unless resources are needed elsewhere

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/25/2020 at 3:23 PM, BramptonTransitFan84 said:

- No fares required to board the bus until further notice

All routes free? (Edit: Brampton website only says no fare is required.)

I only know of Thunder Bay waiving all transit fares up till now.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2020 at 2:08 PM, Buurin said:

All routes free? (Edit: Brampton website only says no fare is required.)

I only know of Thunder Bay waiving all transit fares up till now.

Yes this is in effect for the entire system as we do not have presto readers or cash machines by the rear of the bus making it impossible to pay a fare while practicing social distancing from the operator and other passengers.

Even though it says "no fares are required" its essentially free service anyway because of what I just stated about the presto reader and farebox

By the way if a wiki editor with access to the BT wiki could change the status to 0204, 0208, 0210, 0214, 2015, 0217, 0220, 0221 & 0301 to retired. As those units have been retired since late 2019 and removed from the property. 0218 and 0216 are the only active 02's left (0218 hasn't left sandalwood in a few months but hasn't been decommissioned yet) and 0216 has been doing fine up until march 13th (i'm not sure why it hasn't left since then)

Also if anyone happens to edit the BT page feel free to use on of my photos as a cover pic for the 1975-1976 thumbnail as i have pics of both buses on my Flickr page

1975: https://flickr.com/photos/143316823@N06/48735444012/in/photolist-2hfyX5L-2hfzTA5 

1976: https://flickr.com/photos/143316823@N06/49548302568/in/photolist-2iuq17L

(just be sure to provide credit in the comments lol)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Drove by Clark on Sunday and saw 0425 and 1119 parked in the dead lot. 1119 has it's engine removed which 0425 I am not sure. My guess is that 0425 could be one of the planned 04's to be retired as an operator from Clark informed me of the few units that have rust starting to build on the underbody. As for 1119, maybe a possible engine faliure but the fact that the radiator door and driver side tailight housing have been parted from it makes me think of retirement.

Anyone else happen to know whats going on with these two units?

EDIT: 0425 seems to be still active, it was out on the 18 earlier today (June 4th 2 hours earlier from 12:24PM)

DSC03865.JPG

• Like 3

1119 was involved in a couple accidents over the years ( minor rear ends ) and the bus was consistently unreliable with break downs and engine performance.. my suspicion is engine rebuild due to its age but I haven’t been informed of a official retirement 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2020 at 5:10 PM, BramptonTransitFan84 said:

Drove by Clark on Sunday and saw 0425 and 1119 parked in the dead lot. 1119 has it's engine removed which 0425 I am not sure. My guess is that 0425 could be one of the planned 04's to be retired as an operator from Clark informed me of the few units that have rust starting to build on the underbody. As for 1119, maybe a possible engine faliure but the fact that the radiator door and driver side tailight housing have been parted from it makes me think of retirement.

Anyone else happen to know whats going on with these two units?

EDIT: 0425 seems to be still active, it was out on the 18 earlier today (June 4th 2 hours earlier from 12:24PM)

DSC03865.JPG

Isn't the engine under warranty? Why not just send it to Wajax and make them replace the engine with a new one?

Unless it's a new flyer issue, rather than a Cummins issue.

49 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Isn't the engine under warranty? Why not just send it to Wajax and make them replace the engine with a new one?

Unless it's a new flyer issue, rather than a Cummins issue.

How long do you think engine warranties are?

5 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

How long do you think engine warranties are?

Exactly, Brampton’s fleet numbering is a dead giveaway, 1119 is a 2011 Xcelsior. Likely way past the warranty 

5 hours ago, Cimon8000 said:

I am wondering if any 02's D40LF still active in service?  WIKI said some of them still active but seems they are never on the road

The only ones that were active recently were 216 and maybe 221 ( it’s been awhile since I’ve seen 221 in the garage ) 216 was seen a week ago and is either in for repairs, storage or retired.. anyone’s guess and there isn’t a need for older buses to be out right now either 

• Like 2

On 6/20/2020 at 3:55 AM, ZümmyZüm said:

Exactly, Brampton’s fleet numbering is a dead giveaway, 1119 is a 2011 Xcelsior. Likely way past the warranty 

The only ones that were active recently were 216 and maybe 221 ( it’s been awhile since I’ve seen 221 in the garage ) 216 was seen a week ago and is either in for repairs, storage or retired.. anyone’s guess and there isn’t a need for older buses to be out right now either 

Theres also 0218 which seems to be in use as a test bus (last photos I saw of it had the new presto installed)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For posterity's sake Brampton Transit has begun restoring some of its COVID-19 service cuts this week:

Transit Toronto: Brampton Transit restoring some of its regular service, starting July 27 (They have also archived the previous COVID-19 service changes)

Brampton Transit: July 27 Service Changes 

Effective Monday, July 27 Brampton Transit will be enhancing service levels and the routes listed below will be in service.  

Click here for current schedule information.

501 Züm Queen
  • Monday to Sunday service
  • No service level changes

502 Züm Main

• Weekday mid-day frequency: 20/15 minutes 
    • 11am – 1pm frequency: 15 minutes
  • Saturday regular schedule restored

511/511A Züm Steeles (East of Gateway Terminal)
  • Weekday mid-day frequency: 10 minutes

511 Züm Steeles (West of Gateway Terminal)
  • No evening service 
  • Limited service on Saturday and Sunday 
  • Weekday mid-day frequency: 20 minutes

1 Queen

1A Queen
  • Weekday service only

2 Main

3 McLaughlin
  • 3A McLaughlin service to Flower City Community Campus: CANCELLED

4/4A Chinguacousy
  • Additional Weekday AM/PM trips added

5 Bovaird

• Additional Weekday AM/PM trips added

5A Bovaird
  • Weekday service Only

6 James Potter
  • Monday to Saturday service
  • No evening service 
  • No Sunday service 

7 Kennedy

• Saturday AM frequency: 12 minutes
    • Saturday PM frequency: 25/ 30 minutes 

7A Kennedy

8 Centre

9 Vodden
  • Weekday service only 
  • No evening service
  • No Saturday or Sunday service

10 South Industrial
  • Weekday service only 
  • No evening service 

11/11A Steeles (East of Gateway Terminal)

11 Steeles (West of Gateway Terminal)

14/14A Torbram

15 Bramalea
  • Saturday regular schedule restored

18 Dixie

•  Saturday regular schedule restored
    • Saturday AM frequency: 20 minutes
    • Saturday PM frequency: 30/35 minutes

20/20A East Industrial
  • Weekday service only 
  • No evening service

23 Sandalwood

26 Mount Pleasant
  • No evening service 
  • No Sunday service 
  • Weekday regular schedule restored:
    • Last northbound trip: 7:02pm
    • Last Southbound trip: 7:25pm

29 Williams Parkway
  • Monday to Saturday Service
  • No evening Service 
  • No Sunday Service
  • Saturday AM frequency: 45 minutes

30 Airport Road

31 McVean
  • No evening service
  • No Sunday service

35 Clarkway
  • Weekday service only
  • No evening service 
  • No Sunday service 
  • Regular Saturday schedule restored
    • Day frequency 8am - 7pm: 40 minutes

50 Gore Road
  • Additional southbound AM peak trips

51 Hereford
  • No evening service 
  • No Sunday service

52 McMurchy
  • No evening service
  • Weekday frequency until 9pm: 50 minutes
    • Saturday day frequency until 7pm: 25 minutes
    • Saturday evening frequency until 9pm: 50 minutes
  • Sunday frequency until 9pm: 50 minutes

53 Ray Lawson

• No evening service
  • No Sunday Service 

56 Kingknoll
  • No Sunday Service 

57 Charolais
  • Weekday service 
  • No evening service 
  • No Sunday service
  • Weekday service frequency until 7pm: 50 minutes
  • Saturday service frequency until 7pm: 60 minutes  

60 Mississauga
  • Weekday service only
  • No weekday mid-day or evening service 

115 Pearson Airport Express

Brampton Transit is one of the few agencies that adjusted their system map to reflect the change in service across its network.  I'm not sure if I prefer their method of greying out the affected routes or YRT's of removing the route altogether from the map.  I suppose greying it out would signify it's a temporary (hopefully!) measure and not a permanent one.  Either is still preferable to MiWay which continues to show the entire network pre-pandemic barring any route changes made since. 

• Thanks 1

With this funding announcement, would it mean that they would, perhaps in September, to re introduce full service (unsure of school specials), precovid, without any other planned enhancements that may have been planned for September?

I haven't seen anything specific about that.