Brampton Transit/Züm

Gil

3 hours ago, NewFlyerFan said:

Hate to be the one to tell you but I’ve driven 1875 numerous times the last 3 weeks, builders plate states it is a XDE60, check my previous posts and for further evidence, the transmission is not like the diesels, these are the same as all other Zum orders, (F,N,R) unlike the diesel novas which have the diesel Allison selector, and just listen to the bus as it pulls off

#Fakenews 

On 7/21/2018 at 9:53 PM, NewFlyerFan said:

IMG_20180721_215105.jpg

I’m just going to quote my previous post from July 21 showing the builders plate from what I believe was unit 1880 sitting in the garage.

Im not to sure where this rumour came up of the new Zum buses going straight diesel but I myself heard this as well, this is why im posting this for people to see that infect they have come in as XDE60s and not the XD60 people had thought and drivers had hoped for. 

Ill attach one more image I had taken while on layover so you can spot 1875 from a distance away. White fleet number on rear ( 1875 is the only one like this ) and additional signals at top of rear window 

Happy hunting 

990FAD73-E777-4B5C-A7DF-3445DF06ACC6.jpeg

40 minutes ago, NewFlyerFan said:

I’m just going to quote my previous post from July 21 showing the builders plate from what I believe was unit 1880 sitting in the garage.

Im not to sure where this rumour came up of the new Zum buses going straight diesel but I myself heard this as well, this is why im posting this for people to see that infect they have come in as XDE60s and not the XD60 people had thought and drivers had hoped for. 

Ill attach one more image I had taken while on layover so you can spot 1875 from a distance away. White fleet number on rear ( 1875 is the only one like this ) and additional signals at top of rear window 

Happy hunting 

#photoshop

7 hours ago, NewFlyerFan said:

Happy hunting 

#photoshop

I guess forum admins and some people have no sense of humour on here lol ..

#Fakewarnings 

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2018 at 4:28 AM, tommike said:

do the 2018 zum bus has the stop/go hybrid?

Nope, this was not specified in the order. Plus i've never heard any stop/start system activate while riding them various times on the 511

also on a side note sorry for spreading all that hype about them being diesel artics, looks like I didn't do enough homework before barking about!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For anyone who does not know, the old livery still lives on at Brampton Transit. Seen here is 0309 operating on the 32/33 interline this past Tuesday, it as received some minor work to its paint job at Sandalwood Garage but nothing more and its also the only bus that still sports this livery since the other old livery units were retired. I cannot comment on the interior as I have not gotten the chance to ride it since the work was done.

Also regarding retired 2002 & 2003 D40LF's I have a list of some that I noticed when I found that they were being kept at the back of the parking lot of a fireman training course facility. Buses; 0311, 0212, 0201, 0203, 0209, 0317, 0316, 0219, 0207 are at the training facility. 0211, 0213 & 0315 were at Sandawood at the back where they keep the snow equipment and one other unit was at Clark, however I wasn't able to confirm the number since I was on the bus when I passed by there. This is as of October 26th as since then I haven't checked to see what have moved and where. Everything else is running and I am guessing that BT might be planning to retire them going into 2019 late January to February, considering the shortage of buses but at the same time some of the problems some of these units carry with them.

P1070428.JPG

P1070098.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone here possibly have information on the contract between new flyer industries and Brampton transit regarding Zum buses? I’ve been looking on NFI website for contracts whether it’s a year by year basis or a tender for X amount of years for our articulated buses to no avail. With NovaBus continuously winning the bid for our conventional fleet it makes me wonder why we haven’t gone 100% nova with our Zum express network going forward 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2018 at 2:06 PM, NewFlyerFan said:

Does anyone here possibly have information on the contract between new flyer industries and Brampton transit regarding Zum buses? I’ve been looking on NFI website for contracts whether it’s a year by year basis or a tender for X amount of years for our articulated buses to no avail. With NovaBus continuously winning the bid for our conventional fleet it makes me wonder why we haven’t gone 100% nova with our Zum express network going forward 

While I cant comment on the contract, regarding why. I personally think the livery is a big factor, considering how well the livery was built around the Xcelsior design. Especially on the front, how the livery, white zum logo and fleet number placements heavily compliments the outlines of the actual body panels. On a Nova since the front is a lot smaller that black area under the windshield would need to be heavily modified or scrapped all together, along with the placement of the fleet number and logo not being as visible and overally everything would look very crushed together, if they didnt dump the black under the windshield. Another factor could be the reliability of the Xcelsior for zum has heavily proven itself since buying them in 2010. But again that really only caters to fleet variety anyway.

• Thanks 1

The contract for the Zum buses is multi-year. If I recall correctly, it was awarded to New Flyer in 2008 or 2009 and Brampton negotiated an extenssion in 2011. This may be the last year for the contract, though.

1 hour ago, BramptonTransitFan84 said:

While I cant comment on the contract, regarding why. I personally think the livery is a big factor, considering how well the livery was built around the Xcelsior design. Especially on the front, how the livery, white zum logo and fleet number placements heavily compliments the outlines of the actual body panels. On a Nova since the front is a lot smaller that black area under the windshield would need to be heavily modified or scrapped all together, along with the placement of the fleet number and logo not being as visible and overally everything would look very crushed together, if they didnt dump the black under the windshield. Another factor could be the reliability of the Xcelsior for zum has heavily proven itself since buying them in 2010. But again that really only caters to fleet variety anyway.

Just taking a quick look, you could adapt the Zum livery to the LFS without much effort.

Also can you remove the image in your signature. It's way too big. Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Awesome, thanks for the replies @ADB and @BramptonTransitFan84. If this is indeed the last year with the contract with new flyer I have a feeling Nova will be putting In a strong bid to dominate the market in Brampton. As for the xcelsior artic itself, it’s a great bus in theory but once the winter comes they become less and less reliable with the bus constantly locking itself from starting up or the heat crapping out. Another big issue from a drivers stand point is the seat, for some reason Zum buses use USSC while everything else is recaro ( including 2018 novas ). Hopefully this will be changed come the next tender, I’ve ridden the ttc attics on the 36 a couple of times and they handle much better then the XDE60.. personal opinion of course 

11 hours ago, ADB said:

The contract for the Zum buses is multi-year. If I recall correctly, it was awarded to New Flyer in 2008 or 2009 and Brampton negotiated an extenssion in 2011. This may be the last year for the contract, though.

The original RFP for 40' and 60' Zum buses was awarded in late 2008 as a 3 year contract expiring at the end of 2011. At the time New Flyer's bid for a 60' bus was 961K, while Nova's was 980K. When the first order for artics was placed in 2011 New Flyer's price for a 60' Zum bus was reduced further to 927K due to the strong dollar at the time.

The original 3 year contract awarded in 2008 was extended for 5 years (to the end of 2016) and everything up to 1775-1785 was purchased under this contract. Note that the order for 1775-1785 would have been placed in 2016. 

http://www.brampton.ca/en/City-Hall/meetings-agendas/Committee of Council 2010/20110907cw_J1.pdf

When the previous contract expired a new RFP was issued in March 2017 for 14 60' Zum buses, with options for additional buses. New Flyer had a lower bid ($16,007,688) than Nova Bus ($16,695,209). 1875-1885 were purchased under this contract and the 3 60' Zum buses for the 505 extension to Viscount LINK will come off this contract as well.  

So yeah, the reason the Zum fleet has been all New Flyer up until now is that contracts for conventional and Zum buses are tendered separately, and both times a RFP for Zum buses was issued New Flyer submitted a lower bid than Nova while meeting the requirements of the RFP. 

Speaking of conventional buses, there was a RFP for a new 3 year contract for conventional buses that closed in August but it has still not been awarded. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/21/2018 at 8:30 PM, 2044 said:

Just taking a quick look, you could adapt the Zum livery to the LFS without much effort.

Also can you remove the image in your signature. It's way too big. Thanks.

ah sorry about that, I'll have to see if I can my signature  to display in a smaller size