Brampton Transit/Züm

Gil

I figured I'd drop in the 'züm vs LRT' topic here. So based on stumbling upon some random Hurontario LRT topics their still trying to extend it into downtown Brampton. As a primary focus.

Their second option is to end it at Gateway however it was mentioned that it may halt development of the downtown area.

Now to the Brampton related stuff, this essentially means that with (option 1) the 502 is being cut short to being much less than (as least what I think) is a proper express addition to its local route (length wise anyway). At least with option 2 it can make most of its name by serving the primary area of main-Hurontario in Brampton.

However it makes sense that this happens since its an easier way for a direct connection from Brampton to Port Credit, however I just feel that the 502 is getting the harsher end of the stick here, instead of getting a proper medium... (not to mention the need to pay 2 fares instead of one constant transfer to go into Mississauga)

Essentially it's I feel about this whole LRT thing mixed with a tad of info on the current situation. Although really since I'm in the wanless/McLaughlin area it really defeats the '1 fare to Mississauga' vibe I loved about the 502

18 hours ago, BramptonTransitFan84 said:

I figured I'd drop in the 'züm vs LRT' topic here. So based on stumbling upon some random Hurontario LRT topics their still trying to extend it into downtown Brampton. As a primary focus.

Their second option is to end it at Gateway however it was mentioned that it may halt development of the downtown area.

Now to the Brampton related stuff, this essentially means that with (option 1) the 502 is being cut short to being much less than (as least what I think) is a proper express addition to its local route (length wise anyway). At least with option 2 it can make most of its name by serving the primary area of main-Hurontario in Brampton.

However it makes sense that this happens since its an easier way for a direct connection from Brampton to Port Credit, however I just feel that the 502 is getting the harsher end of the stick here, instead of getting a proper medium... (not to mention the need to pay 2 fares instead of one constant transfer to go into Mississauga)

Essentially it's I feel about this whole LRT thing mixed with a tad of info on the current situation. Although really since I'm in the wanless/McLaughlin area it really defeats the '1 fare to Mississauga' vibe I loved about the 502

They should extend it past Gateway further into Brampton more the redevelopment of downtown Brampton area. Shoppers World is gonna change as RioCan wants to tear down the whole mall, make stand alone retail on a smaller footprint and build condos/rental apartments on the rest of the property 

http://m.bramptonguardian.com/news-story/7099346-could-overhaul-of-shoppers-world-mall-shape-future-of-brampton-s-downtown-

On 1/10/2017 at 3:06 PM, 502 Downtowner said:

9969 and 9972 have been retired, leaving 9970 and 9971 as the last two active Vs. Both are due for MTO in February.

I haven't been to Brampton in awhile. Or, whenever I do end up within the city, it's not for very long. Regardless though, any updates on these last 2 Vs on whether or not they had passed their MTO inspections?

On 2/10/2017 at 1:55 PM, noahrp24 said:

Brampton has gotten PTIF funding to replace 20 buses. (should be the 2002 D40LFs), 3 new artics, as well as other projects planned for Brampton which includes expansion of the Sandalwood Garage.

The artics are for Zum I figure.  Would these 3 be add-ons for the last ZUM order of that multi-year contract with NFI for XDE60's?

1 hour ago, soo8513 said:

Is BT considering using transsee for a next bus service?

Transee isn't even developed by any of the transit agencies listed on the site. Therefore its not an official site by transit agencies to advertise to riders to use. It just uses open data from transit agencies to show the info.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote from : https://www.newflyer.com/rss/814-brampton-transit-to-participate-in-the-cutric-pan-ontario-electric-bus-demonstration-and-integration-trial

"10 electric buses and 4 overhead electric charging stations from multiple manufacturers"

Definitely the XE40 will be one of them. LFSe will most likely be another one. Wouldn't be surprised of the BYD K9 is part of it as well. 

7 minutes ago, noahrp24 said:

Quote from : https://www.newflyer.com/rss/814-brampton-transit-to-participate-in-the-cutric-pan-ontario-electric-bus-demonstration-and-integration-trial

"10 electric buses and 4 overhead electric charging stations from multiple manufacturers"

Definitely the XE40 will be one of them. LFSe will most likely be another one. Wouldn't be surprised of the BYD K9 is part of it as well. 

Wouldn't all of these be demonstrators, meaning Brampton wouldn't be making these purchases outright? If my understanding is right, this is associated with the Electric Bus Trial.

• Root Admin
7 hours ago, noahrp24 said:

BYD will not be participating in this. It will be a split between New Flyer and NovaBus. Last I heard an update was these would be leased vehicles. Maybe it changed. Oakville is also supposedly part of this as well but I haven't heard of any recent news.

• Like 4

BID CALL NO. T2017-038 Supply and Delivery of Urban Bus Rapid Transit Vehicles For A Three (3) Year Period Within The City of Brampton

Tender out for Zum vehicles to be delivered between 2018-2020.

The base order consists of 14 60' diesel buses. 11 to be delivered by March 31, 2018 and 3 in 2020. Optional pricing is required for 60' hybrid buses (upgrade from base diesel) and 40' diesel and hybrid buses.

57 minutes ago, Silly Tilley said:

BID CALL NO. T2017-038 Supply and Delivery of Urban Bus Rapid Transit Vehicles For A Three (3) Year Period Within The City of Brampton

Tender out for Zum vehicles to be delivered between 2018-2020.

The base order consists of 14 60' diesel buses. 11 to be delivered by March 31, 2018 and 3 in 2020. Optional pricing is required for 60' hybrid buses (upgrade from base diesel) and 40' diesel and hybrid buses.

Interesting that the spec is now for diesel buses. Züm has always ordered parallel hybrid buses. Wonder why they're deciding to switch now.

The "optional pricing" spec could be to allow for a cost comparison between diesel and hybrid or just allow maximum flexibility until the contract is ordered.

22 hours ago, Articulated said:

Interesting that the spec is now for diesel buses. Züm has always ordered parallel hybrid buses. Wonder why they're deciding to switch now.

The "optional pricing" spec could be to allow for a cost comparison between diesel and hybrid or just allow maximum flexibility until the contract is ordered.

It may be that they are also biding their time to see if there will be another federal rebate program on hybrid vehicles. The last one expired at the end of 2016, IIRC.

Dan

Yesterday I spotted a white VW beetle (couldn't get the number) on a driver change off for the 30 NB around 3:20 pm at Airport and Nevets.

I was wondering why BT driver change off vehicles so random, unlike what Miway has done for example. Service trucks all match BTs livery, so why are driver change off vehicles so inconsistent?

Also, does anyone keep track of BTs service vehicles? I know there's no wiki page for them like Miway has. 

Brampton Transit 2017 Service Improvements:

• 6 James Potter - extended to Mount Pleasant Village (north side of GO station)
  • 27 Robert Parkinson - new route from Mount Pleasant Village to new growth area to the north
  • 58 Financial - extended to Lionhead Golf Club Rd 
  • 60 Mississauga Rd - extended to Meadowvale GO
  • 104 Chinguacousy Express - new peak express service, every 10-15 min

501 integration with Spadina Subway extension - options:

• Existing routing
  • 501 to Vaughan Metropolitan Centre / 501A to York University
  • 501 to Vaughan Metropolitan Centre / 501A eliminated

505 Airport Rd extension - options:

• Bramalea GO via Steeles Ave
  • Malton GO
  • Pearson Terminal 1
  • Viscount Station

http://www.brampton.ca/EN/residents/transit/service-alerts/Documents/BramptonTransit_PICBoardsWeb.pdf

3 hours ago, AmanKh said:

Yesterday I spotted a white VW beetle (couldn't get the number) on a driver change off for the 30 NB around 3:20 pm at Airport and Nevets.

I was wondering why BT driver change off vehicles so random, unlike what Miway has done for example. Service trucks all match BTs livery, so why are driver change off vehicles so inconsistent?

Also, does anyone keep track of BTs service vehicles? I know there's no wiki page for them like Miway has. 

The vehicles are leased, as opposed to being a City-owned fleet vehicle, so are changed out every so often.

• Like 1

In terms of the Airport Zum, rather have it not be an extension of the 505. I'll go off the board entirely and suggest it be a new "530", northern terminus at the Gore Meadows Community Centre south to Pearson Airport via Westwood Mall (maybe Malton Go?).

Having this extension as part of the 505 would greatly impact that route throughout the entire length. Let's not forget that it interlines with the 561 Zum Queen West. Granted the 561 only operates during weekdays whilst the 505 is a 7-day Zum service, there would be at the very least a least probability of some serious delays of an eastbound 561 coming in from Pearson, via Airport Road, Bovaird, Trininity Common, Mount Pleasant GO. 505 I think would be much better off going to Gore Meadows CC and connect with the new 530. 
Of course this'd probably be a result of needing many more ZUM buses and more service hours as long as they're all budgeted for. Having the 505 proposals, no matter how far south they end up going would mean that the routing itself would be much too long and operationally speaking, it would wreak havoc especially to the inter-lined 561's @ Mount Pleasant GO.

Regarding the 501/501A, I can see the 501 to VMC and the 501A to still serve York U if it meant that the 501A users wouldn't need to pay another fare while at VMC to go to York U station. Sure, it may mean the operational costs would probably be an issue for the budget, and also the other issue is I'd believe many York U students whom are quite used to frequent ZUM service with both the 501 and the A there, the lost in frequency would be a bit of a turnoff of sorts, especially considering that going ot the subway at York U, one fare, only to need another fare at VMC for the waiting buses of the 501. More fares or loss of frequency?

I've always thought, why not split the 505 into 2 segments at Trinity to become 505/561 and 505/530. Can anyone think of any restrictions that prevent this from being an option to look at? 

On a side note: Will there be any changes to the 5A branch after Airport Zum comes online?

On 3/28/2017 at 10:59 PM, OCSTOFan said:

How are the last two Orion Vs doing are they retired yet? 

I presume they are retired as well. Saw 9970 at the back of the yard along with the others at Clark. Logos have been painted over. It seems that Brampton got a bit lazy with removing the side advertisement wraps and just spray painted over them..