Brampton Transit/Züm

Gil

The 2008-2009 Novabuses are the second batch of the three year order arrangement that I remember BT having arranged that started with the 2006s on the road (that arrived around the end of 2006/early 2007 if I remember correctly). NFI had a similar three year order with the 2002, 2003 and 2004 series. I remember an issue at BT when Nova was the chosen supplier, that Orion was annoyed with the change to the stainless steel frame.

Does Orion have problems filling orders for smaller systems, given that they are so busy with TTC and MTA?

Sean

The original order should be over after the last 10 arriving in the next month. It was split into 3 deliveries. This new one in late 2008 onwards is a new contract.

Yeah, your 02XXs don't rattle when they're idling, yet a lot of the 2005 LFSes already rattle pretty badly when idling. How do I know this? Why because I take BT to go home everyday after school. If I remember correctly, 0604 and 0609 are some the worst units when it comes to rattling on idle.

Even the 96xx NFIs dont rattle as much. Given they've been rebuilt, but with the same old parts and also many months ago. The only perk about the newer Novas is the new seats, and that only on some of them.

Off topic: Where's that shot you've taken on your Signature?

The problem is that mechanics spends more time fixing the D40LF than the LFS, so far.

Proof?? And also could this be because of changes (such as Biofuel) made by BT have affected the buses? Someone mentioned earlier that the NFIs suffered when BT started using bio fuel because the buses were built to handle normal deisel. If this be the case, then the fact that the buses spend more time in maintainence, which is odd to me, is only BT's fault.

Proof?? And also could this be because of changes (such as Biofuel) made by BT have affected the buses? Someone mentioned earlier that the NFIs suffered when BT started using bio fuel because the buses were built to handle normal deisel. If this be the case, then the fact that the buses spend more time in maintainence, which is odd to me, is only BT's fault.

I have someone who went there and spoken the mechanics about the NFI vs. Nova in terms of maintenance about several months ago, and told me the Nova are far simplier to fix than NFI.

The thing is about the Nova's when they rattle, it's just not the seats and the ad-racks, it's pretty much the hole bus itself. I got 0624 on the 51 today and it's already starting to rattle on idle, espicially when the bus shifts into gear coming out of nutral after stoping, the bus is a year old and it's already rattling, while the 02XX D40LFs aren't, it's pretty bad when you think about it.

I have someone who went there and spoken the mechanics about the NFI vs. Nova in terms of maintenance about several months ago, and told me the Nova are far simplier to fix than NFI.

However, it has also been mentioned that some of the mechs at BT, prefer to maintain NFIs, and its noticeable that drivers have to crane their necks when serving passengers on the Novas. I have actually witnessed drivers pull the seat back when taking fares at terminals because it so hard on the Novas. Then there's the rough ride, brighter, but less complete interior, and as MT0603 mentioned, the endless rattling of the parts onboard.

However, it has also been mentioned that some of the mechs at BT, prefer to maintain NFIs, and its noticeable that drivers have to crane their necks when serving passengers on the Novas. I have actually witnessed drivers pull the seat back when taking fares at terminals because it so hard on the Novas. Then there's the rough ride, brighter, but less complete interior, and as MT0603 mentioned, the endless rattling of the parts onboard.

I don't care how much rattle it has or even if it leaks or blows a window off when it hits a pothole; as long as it's not a D40LF I'm happy. Well, put Newlook on the hated list too. As long as it's not these 2 models I'll gladly ride one even if I have to wait for the next bus.

^^Even if it is pissing rain, and you had to take a piss, and it was the last bus? You would not take it, if it was a DF40, or a newlook?

Well, if I'm going to work then that's a different story. If I'm transit fanning, I'll be damned if I have to ride a D40LF all the way outside of Toronto. But I wouldn't go as far as holding in urine for a non D40LF/Newlook just for a bus since that's bad for the body. But basically most other things, I'll wait for something else unless of course I'm with someone else who wants to get out of there.

So then, haven't they found out yet to let Nova know to fix it?

Fix what. Nova would have to redesign much of their bus. Perhaps the new rear design will fix these problems, but Im doubtfull.

At least it's not something serious to pull off the road! Engine vibration could be engine problem and rattle interior could be a screw loose!

Ah there we go!

Thing is with the Nova's, well the 2005s specifically...so far, it's pretty much everything that rattles, the windows, the seats, the ad-racks and the standee poles, so basicly the hole bus, and I can't see a solution to that unless there's a problem with the engines on them. Like I said though, even the 2006s are starting to rattle.

Thing is with the Nova's, well the 2005s specifically...so far, it's pretty much everything that rattles, the windows, the seats, the ad-racks and the standee poles, so basicly the hole bus, and I can't see a solution to that unless there's a problem with the engines on them. Like I said though, even the 2006s are starting to rattle.

Well, I'll take the word from you. I don't ride the LFS alot whenever I'm in Brampton. Unless I'm seing more D40LF than LFS on the road everytime I visit if this happens right now.

• 2 weeks later...

There seems to be no news out of BT lately. The website hasn't been updated since early March, usually they're pretty fast with putting up the month-by-month ridership stats, and the Easter schedule notices are still up.

I know May is a typical time for BT schedules to change, and thought something would be in the works with the 07/08 Novas arriving and the new garage set to open. BT also usually gives decent notice for route and schedule changes as well.

There seems to be no news out of BT lately. The website hasn't been updated since early March, usually they're pretty fast with putting up the month-by-month ridership stats, and the Easter schedule notices are still up.

Acutally, I was wrong. There's a minor change to route 40, weekdays only, I guess to serve Coca-Cola, as it will run down to the end of Westcreek weekdays. The service is being improved from 30 to 20 minutes during the rush, and cut from 30 to 40 minutes off-peak, which is reasonable given the industrial nature of this route (it took them long enough, but severing route 40 from 15 made so much sense).

http://www.brampton.ca/transit/newsitems/apr28.pdf

And there's an transit plan open house at City Hall in the evening of April 30.

http://www.brampton.ca/transit/newsitems/apr30.pdf

And there's an transit plan open house at City Hall in the evening of April 30.

http://www.brampton.ca/transit/newsitems/apr30.pdf

Hopefully they'll post the information boards online this year. From what I saw last year, I don't think a lot of people showed up. If they did, they all did so at the beginning of the Open House. I wonder if they'll allow people to photograph the boards . . .

Cross-posted (almost) from Brampton-Transit-News

For those that missed the Open House tonight, the panels (in PDF) are now posted on-line. There's also a comment sheet.

http://brampton.ca/transit/2008proposals.tml

Some of the highlights (all to be implemented for September):

Northeast: The elimination of Route 6 MacKay, the rerouting of Route 12 to Torbram and Australia Drive via Sunny Meadow and Route 14 to Countryside Drive, while 22 takes over the Mountainash section in a bidirectional loop. There's an Option 2 that involves less change.

Southwest: Changes to routes 4, 52 and 53. Route 4 will likely run direct via Steeles to Chinguacousy, 53 would become a bi-directional route and add Charolais and James Potter, and take over the Moffat/Duggan Routing. Route 52 would get longer as well in the southwest.

Bramalea Road Corridor: Replace Route 91 with a new 15A between the GO Station and the Civic Hospital. Also, a new Route 101 Pearson Airport Express between BCC and Terminal 1 via Bramalea Road and Derry. The route would have very limited stops.

More minor route and schedule changes. There's a proposal for a change in route 24's routing. There might be a new rush hour 77 branch from BCC to Keele Street and into York University. Route 7 and 11 are supposed to see weekday schedule changes (unspecified) and new accessible routes.

While these are proposed changes (not everything will make it, and depends on feedback), almost all changes in the 2007 Open House were implemented in the Fall.

Not much new on the Acceleride front, except the timelines have changed. Queen (Downtown-York Region) will start in 2010. Main (Mississauga-Sandalwood) in 2011, and Steeles from Main to Humber College in 2012. Steeles has been bumped up, and Main's northern section is also bumped up.

Still no confirmation on the York Region and Mississauga Terminals, I hope for a seamless service south to Square One and east to York U, but they might still terminate at 407 or Derry on Main, and Highway 50 or 27 in Woodbridge.

The planners and staff there were really good in answering questions. I am glad to have went.

Sean

A pity, I always enjoyed having nearly the whole bus to myself on the 91 (the 15 always stole most of the passengers off GO trains).

Interesting changes. Most people going to York U from Brampton end up taking the 407 GO bus from Bramalea, I can't see too much demand for the 77 to be routed down to there (especially if taking a BT bus to Bramalea & then the GO to York via the 407 is quicker then just taking the 77). If anything, an express 77 from BCC to Finch via the 407 similar to the once-in-a-while Trinity Common GO bus service would be handy for those making the whole mind-numbing trip.

There will not be seamless service between Brampton, and Square One!

Why can people not see that? It's not going to happen, unless the LRT will be built.

I like the Airport Express though. That would save people a lot of money, and still be quick.

There will not be seamless service between Brampton, and Square One!

Why can people not see that? It's not going to happen, unless the LRT will be built.

We have to demand better. The status quo is unacceptable, and I can tell you that eliminating transfers at borders is a very big issue that people at Metrolinx are committed to. Will they be successful? I don't know, but if we keep saying "its never going to happen" then it we're not going to get it.

I hope to see this Airport to Bramalea Express route implemented. How often would it run?

Every 30 minutes weekdays (morning to early evening) and hourly late evenings and weekends. It would be better and cheaper than the GO Airport Road local, except it would make less stops, but would be finally fare-integrated!

It would be a great connection to TTC 192 and 58. I also notice BT is slowly muscling into GO's turf with the proposed York U 77 branch (and the planned Accelride to York U) and the 101. I hope that like in York Region, GO shifts its resources into express services (like the pathetically underserved Union Station route) and slowly withdraw from the local bus the Queen Street-York Mills service is.

I was taking a look at the Acceleride project and came across these two phasing plans.

Phase 1 (to 2012):

Phase-1-large.jpg

At some point it looks like BT will want to connect to something more substantial in Meadowvale, and they're targeting Lisgar GO. Meanwhile at the other end of Steeles, I'm surprised there isn't a stop at either Wild Water Kingdom or Darcel.

Phase 2 (to 2021):

Phase-2--large.jpg

If Acceleride progresses along the same plan as VIVA with initial BRT to be upgraded to LRT when demand dictates how will the TTC handle the Steeles route running in from Brampton to Humber College? I would presume that by then there would be a region-wide standard gauge, so that conceivably, the Finch West LRT route could continue up to Steeles and then west all the way to Lisgar. This "Phase 3" ideally should have another north-south corridor, say Dixie or Airport Rd.