Brampton Transit/Züm

Gil

As there's no apparent thread for this I'll start a new one. Brampton Transit now has a Trip Planner feature that looks an awful lot like Mississauga's. In the absence of stop numbers the stops are actually described by the street they are on followed by either a cross-street or an address. The mapping feature is overlain on Microsoft's Virtual Earth, which is probably a generational improvement (any overlaying would be) over Mississauga's system.

As there's no apparent thread for this I'll start a new one. Brampton Transit now has a Trip Planner feature that looks an awful lot like Mississauga's. In the absence of stop numbers the stops are actually described by the street they are on followed by either a cross-street or an address. The mapping feature is overlain on Microsoft's Virtual Earth, which is probably a generational improvement (any overlaying would be) over Mississauga's system.

WHAT???!!!! BT has a trip planner. When did it come into effect?? I didnt know they were developing one.

WHAT???!!!! BT has a trip planner. When did it come into effect?? I didnt know they were developing one.

It has been in the planning for some time now.

Looking through it, I have to say I am somewhat impressed. It is definitely better than MT's planner. The pannable map showing the stops, parks, and other geographic info, is a huge plus.

Being a GIS Tech, I appreciate the amount information available on the map.

My concern is the precision of the stops placement on the map. That definitely needs to be improved.

It has been in the planning for some time now.

Looking through it, I have to say I am somewhat impressed. It is definitely better than MT's planner. The pannable map showing the stops, parks, and other geographic info, is a huge plus.

Being a GIS Tech, I appreciate the amount information available on the map.

My concern is the precision of the stops placement on the map. That definitely needs to be improved.

Its better than MT's too?? Ill have to check that out. Could MT's be slated for improvements soon?, or would the they wait for GTTA to bring in a master system.

I guess BT is really stepping it up in terms of add ons. Now if only they improve service on the key routes.

• 1 month later...

They've used 2 07 LFS for their media display, 0701 and I don't know what's the other.

http://www.brampton.ca/press/08-002.tml

Media Release#: 08-002

For Immediate Release - January 08, 2008

Government Of Canada & City of Brampton Help Shift AcceleRide Rapid Transit into High Gear

BRAMPTON — The AcceleRide bus rapid transit system moved forward today after the Government of Canada formalized its $95 million investment by signing a federal-municipal contribution agreement with the City of Brampton. The agreement was signed by the Honourable Jim Flaherty, Minister of Finance and Minister Responsible for the Greater Toronto Area, on behalf of the Honourable Lawrence Cannon, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities, and Her Worship Susan Fennell, Mayor of Brampton.

“The agreement signed today demonstrates this government’s unwavering commitment to the residents of Brampton and the development of transportation alternatives,” said Minister Flaherty. “AcceleRide is part of our long-term transportation action plan, FLOW. Over time, this plan will help reduce traffic congestion, strengthen the economy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions throughout the Greater Toronto Area.”

“Today we have moved another step closer to achieving our vision of having a seamless transit network that will benefit the people of Brampton and transit users across the Greater Toronto Area. It’s also an investment that facilitates sustainable and environmentally friendly growth, which is critical to Brampton as the second-fastest growing city in Canada,” commented Mayor Fennell.

“Public transit is a priority for the Government of Canada,” said Minister Cannon. “Projects such as this new transit system will help increase economic growth and improve the quality of life of residents in one of the fastest growing areas of Canada.”

FLOW is an initiative of the Government of Canada designed to reduce traffic congestion, improve the environment and strengthen the economy in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). FLOW consists of key transportation infrastructure projects, including AcceleRide, and was developed to help enhance the quality of life for families and help businesses increase efficiency in the GTA by keeping people, traffic and goods FLOWing in the largest metropolitan area in Canada.

AcceleRide is a bus rapid transit system which will operate along Brampton’s key transportation corridors linking the downtown to the north and west areas of the city, as well as to the City of Mississauga and the regional Municipality of York. The project will be constructed in two phases, the first expected to be completed by 2010, with ultimate completion anticipated in 2021.

The federal contribution of $53 million to the City of Brampton for the first phase of the bus rapid transit project comes from the Canada Strategic Infrastructure Fund (CSIF), which supports large-scale strategic infrastructure projects that improve quality of life and further economic growth. An additional $42 million will be provided via a memorandum of understanding for the second phase of this project.

The Province of Ontario provided $95 million to Brampton to support this project in 2006. The City of Brampton will be responsible for the remainder of the project costs. Construction on the project is expected to begin in 2008 and be completed by 2013.

Other transit projects that make up the FLOW action plan include the construction of a bus rapid transit corridor in Mississauga; the extension of the Spadina-University subway line to Vaughan Corporate Centre; the enhancement of the York VIVA rapid transit system; and funding for regional rapid transit expansion studies in the Regional Municipality of Durham.

As federal funding is reimbursement-based, funds will be transferred once the agreement is signed, eligible costs are incurred and all federal requirements have been satisfied.

TTC will have a $3.00 far before Mississauga Transit. Our cash fares are still $2.50. Cash fare rises to $2.75 in February.

I agree with TTC going $3 before MT. But there is no reason that I can see that BT would go three dollars. $3 is just too much. I hope Metrolinx doesnt enforce $3 standardization. BT doesnt offer enough service for a $3 fare. The service in most areas is kinda shotty actually. And Yes, AcceleRide needs to come before they start talking $3. That amount for this level of service is a rip off.

I agree with TTC going $3 before MT. But there is no reason that I can see that BT would go three dollars. $3 is just too much. I hope Metrolinx doesnt enforce $3 standardization. BT doesnt offer enough service for a $3 fare. The service in most areas is kinda shotty actually. And Yes, AcceleRide needs to come before they start talking $3. That amount for this level of service is a rip off.

When you are paying $2.75 cash fare, I do not see $3 being much of an issue.

I can bet you that most passengers plunk in a toonie, and a loonie most of the time. Just because it is easier.

I do agree that Brampton Tranist still has a long way to go in improving service. But in BT's defense, Brampton is simply growing too fast, and it is all sprawl. Some of the new subdivisions near my parent's place makes me wonder if the city is actually concerned about making it convenient for people to use Transit. Nothing but twisting streets, that end in cul-du-sacs. It's sad.

I am sure transit fares will be close to $4, by the time Acceleride becomes operational in 2010.....

ANd Acceleride. Ugh. Acceleride is proof that Brampton is way behind the rest of the region on Transit.

ANd Acceleride. Ugh. Acceleride is proof that Brampton is way behind the rest of the region on Transit.

I thought Acceleride and VIVA both hatched at the same time, but VIVA managed to get noticed first, hence it getting the initial funding. Brampton's Acceleride had to wait until the next round of funding to get off the ground. In the meanwhile, Brampton has been tweaking the idea to take into account the city's growth since the plan was first conceived.

You have to remember though, for a fare in Brampton, you can use the transfer an unlimited amount of times anywhere you want within 2 hours. You can't do that with a TTC transfer.

You have to remember though, for a fare in Brampton, you can use the transfer an unlimited amount of times anywhere you want within 2 hours. You can't do that with a TTC transfer.

That is true, but also remember that TTC has a child, student, and senior cash fare. Brampton only has one general cash fare, which would give TTC all the more reason to go to $3, yet they havnt, and have also said that the fare wont increase till next year earliest.

And plus, MT has a time based transfer, and their fare is still $2.50 (going to $2.75 soon), compared to BT which is already at $2.75 with the same transfer system.

EDIT: Now that you mention it, BT is raising the ticket/pass prices at the end of the month also.

Also the problems with AcceleRide are:

1) its taking WAY too long to come into effect

and 2) it will cancel current local service and supplant it with AcceleRide, which to me is unfeasable, especially since the new plan calls for one continuous route from '4 corners' all the way out into York Region. BT also wants YRT/VIVA to interline all that way. IMO the current service should be kept with AcceleRide being an express service, much like VIVA. This to me seems a lot more cost effective, and doesnt involve major canges to the current routes.

Also the problems with AcceleRide are:

1) its taking WAY too long to come into effect

and 2) it will cancel current local service and supplant it with AcceleRide, which to me is unfeasable, especially since the new plan calls for one continuous route from '4 corners' all the way out into York Region. BT also wants YRT/VIVA to interline all that way. IMO the current service should be kept with AcceleRide being an express service, much like VIVA. This to me seems a lot more cost effective, and doesnt involve major canges to the current routes.

1) Good things come to those who wait :)

2) Acceleride should completely replace VIVA Orange. I believe there should be three routes serving Highway 7:

* BT 1 Queen (west Brampton to York Region border)

* YRT 77 Highway 7-Centre (Yonge Subway to Brampton border)

* Acceleride (west Brampton to York University & Spadina Subway express)

That's my 2 cents anyway.

1) Good things come to those who wait :)

2) Acceleride should completely replace VIVA Orange. I believe there should be three routes serving Highway 7:

* BT 1 Queen (west Brampton to York Region border)

* YRT 77 Highway 7-Centre (Yonge Subway to Brampton border)

* Acceleride (west Brampton to York University & Spadina Subway express)

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Acceleride (HWY 7 service ) should be merged with VIVA Orange and joinly run by York Region and Brampton