98 B-Line / Canada Line

323 Surrey Ctrl Stn

Well just browsing through some stuff about the 98 B-Line and just started thinking about how 2009 less then 2 years away from now. That year will bring some big changes to our system as we know it. Not as near as big as the Skytrain in the 80's and early 90's but still big.

The biggest being the new Canada Line and the removal of the 98 B-Line. The 98 B-Line started at two different times, the first being sometime in 2000 with service from Vancouver to a temporary Airport Station but the full 98 started on August 7, 2001 bringing new, never before seen service to Richmond. Today almost every single Richmond resident has ridden the 98, for some it is the commute to work. Some people will say it is hard to go transit-fanning without a trip on the 98, no matter how short or long it is. The route also had something completely new to Vancouver, the bus way. I never got to ride on it but I remember going into Richmond with my dad and seeing these weird "Bus Only Lanes" but as someone told me "It was awesome to zoom past everyone stuck in traffic". But the bus way had a short life span. On February 13th, 2006 The No. 3rd bus way was closed giving it a short life of just over 4 years. Buses currently run stuck with traffic along No. 3rd. The 98 B-Line was a huge undertaking from the start. It brought stop announcements, real time bus arrival information, and signal priority.

Not as near as big but still very important will be the removal of suburban buses on Granville Street. The suburban routes will not continue all the way up (or down) Granville but will instead opt for a shorter route termination at the new Bridgeport Canada Line Station. People will no longer have to wait in thick traffic along the Cambie Street Bridge but now will hop on a train taking you in 18 Minutes to downtown Vancouver. This will shorten the routes meaning the buses can make more trips improving the service.

Granville street which residents complained was under serviced when the 98 started will now get largely improved service on the 10 Granville. Which may bring even more zero-emission trolley buses onto Granville.

As much as people may hate the 98 B-Line people, like me, may miss it in the end. As much as you get tired of yelling at the Asians to move to the back of the bus so you can breath a little bit more, as much as you hate gritting your teeth at the passengers taking up a row of seats with their luggage, as much as you hate waiting in the rain as five full buses pass you, you will most likely miss the 98 B-Line in a few months.

Chris Cassidy

If I ever were to become a bus driver, one of the routes I would have liked to drive would be the #98. Love the D60LFs, and love the route (and the torn down busways :() :P

I'd just like to drive it for a day just to push the buttons that say "Please move to the back of the bus" or "Thank you for riding with Translink" :(

Same here! I would also want to try the 480 lol

Dave

You would need a lot of seniority for that. :( At least, for a day run. You may be able to get a few trips in on the 480 if you sign a tripper, particularly a morning tripper. I also wouldn't mind the 620, since it involves D60LFs on the highway. :(

As much as people may hate the 98 B-Line people, like me, may miss it in the end. As much as you get tired of yelling at the Asians to move to the back of the bus so you can breath a little bit more, as much as you hate gritting your teeth at the passengers taking up a row of seats with their luggage, as much as you hate waiting in the rain as five full buses pass you, you will most likely miss the 98 B-Line in a few months.

My only experience with the 98 has been taking it to/from Airport Station up Granville Street with a full load while trying to carry a heavy bag. I won't miss it :(.

The 98B-Line is probably the route that I have rode the most in my visits to Vancouver. I think to the visitor, it is one of those key routes that is more likely to be remembered.

In June of 2007, I remember I was on the way back to YVR to catch my connecting flight to Calgary after having a 6 hour layover in Vancouver, on my way back from several weeks in Hong Kong. I came out to the city to check out the new trolleybuses, as they were all parked during my February 2007 visit. Thanks to David, I certainly got my fill of them in my short time in town. Couldn't of asked for much more, sunny clear skies and a local expert to maximize the efficiency of my trolley bus hunting.

we had opted to ride a trolleybus from downtown Vancouver to Granville and Broadway where we would both board a 98B-Line so I could get to the airport and so David could get back to Richmond. Though we waited for a good 15 mins before a 98B-Line that was crushloaded showed up. Thankfully I did not have any luggage with me as I had checked that in already. We both managed to crowd our way onto the insanely packed bus. Though we painfully slowly made our way southbound, me nervously checking my watch as my flight was to leave soon. Finally I arrived at airport station, only to have to wait about 10mins for a 424 to show up and depart. Got into the airport, with the flight scheduled to leave in about 20-25 mins. I already obtained my boarding pass before leaving YVR to go transit fanning, so just had to get to the gate and thorugh security. Thankfully security lineup had only a few people, got through there pretty quick and ran to the gate, just in time to catch the tail end of the boarding sequence. Got on the plane about 10 mins prior to scheduled pushback time, seeing my dad seated in comfort already and giving me a big grin for just making it.

Just one of the many stories of distress I'm sure the 98B-Line has indirectly caused. Though I think it will be missed in a nostalgic way among some as it plays such a significant role in the daily lives of many locals and becomes so useful for the tourists who wish to travel in the cheapest way, transit.

I rode on the 620 once (to the ferry terminal). It was a Saturday early morning (I think the first 620) and it was quite empty which was good since I was carrying some luggage. On the way back I was on a 601 Special direct from the ferry terminal to Vancouver (it was the BC day Monday evening). I was the last to get on the packed D60LF and thus I had the best view on the bus standing in front for the entire journey I was on the bus (I got off at the first stop - Marine). Best ride (technically, "stand" :() ever.

Did managed to ride the 98 B-Line the first time in Aug. 2001, although the automated announcer wasn't on at that time because it wasn't setup.

Then I camed back after last summer to ride one, unfortunately with the Canada Line construction and offset frequent schedule, it makes the buses very crowded!

Wow... its funny how most of us don't realize how much we will miss something till its gone... case in point the 98. You see for me it was the quickest way to get to Richmond center, from downtown. Every weekend since the 98 started i have ridden it and sometimes when i would cut class i would go there and ride the 98 just for the hell of it. And it was cool when you got to Richmond and you saw the bus only lanes and passed all the traffic, then when the Canada line construction began and the shut down the bus only lanes it was going to be only a matter of time before they remove the rest of it then it will be the end for it.

If there's one thing i will never miss it would have to be the tons of people packing the bus on weekends. And the people who fill up seats with their luggage to get to the airport.

In total i think i have ridden the 98 over a 1000 times....

When I first visited Vancouver (with my dad) in July 2002, I was quite obsessed with the transit system down there. The 98 B-line was a very rad example of BRTs everywhere. Two years later (this time being solo), I can't believe the 98 B-line was very peaked to the max, all the time! There was one time that we got stuck in traffic when we suddenly got stopped by a drawbridge near Airport Station (connections to the 424, 620, etc.).

At first I thought a boat was coming, but there was something wrong with the drawbridge. It failed to turn! The lights were flashing, the red stop lights were illuminated and all traffic was backed up from the Airport, heading towards Richmond. Passengers were shocked to see the news! Some people just give up and guess what happened: They decided to walk over the drawbridge as a last resort!!! I don't know whether it's safe or not they should do that, but there was a few trucks trying to get around the drawbridge obstacle and an RCMP police car suddenly stops near the road urging motorists that there's something wrong. I immediately got off the bus (the same goes for the other passengers) and managed to take a picture of the 98 B-line stranded in the middle. I'll show you the picture when I have time later....

As a result, most of the 98 B-Lines trying to get into Richmond either have to take the Oak Street Bridge or in my case, the Dinsmore Bridge. I'll never forget my sudden insolences of riding the transit system!! As for the automated announcements, they tend to help the passengers where they want to go.

• 11 years later...

The City of Richmond wants the 98 back.

Sept 24 2019

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/richmond-translink-transport-2050-canada-line-steveston

"The city wants TransLink to reactivate a north-south service from Richmond City Centre to Vancouver via Granville Street, effectively mirroring the former 98 B-Line service that was replaced by the Canada Line a decade ago."

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, piggyoinkcanada said:

Sept 24 2019

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/richmond-translink-transport-2050-canada-line-steveston

"The city wants TransLink to reactivate a north-south service from Richmond City Centre to Vancouver via Granville Street, effectively mirroring the former 98 B-Line service that was replaced by the Canada Line a decade ago."

If this ends up happening, I'm hoping they don't reactivate Airport Station as an exchange because it would be pretty pointless considering it's right between Bridgeport and Templeton Stations, and I hope it travels via Garden City Road and not No. 3 Road, assuming it would travel to Brighouse and not end at Bridgeport.

1 hour ago, piggyoinkcanada said:

Sept 24 2019

Sounds redundant to me. To my understanding, the whole purpose of the Canada Line was to take bus traffic off Granville Street. Maybe a 98 type service along no.3 road from Stevenson to Brighouse but not any further. Vancouverites are a finicky bunch. DO NOT inconvenience them or there will be HELL to pay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I learned that working as a garbage man there.

33 minutes ago, 8010 said:

If this ends up happening, I'm hoping they don't reactivate Airport Station as an exchange because it would be pretty pointless considering it's right between Bridgeport and Templeton Stations, and I hope it travels via Garden City Road and not No. 3 Road, assuming it would travel to Brighouse and not end at Bridgeport.

If the re-introducing does happen, it would most likely be routed via Bridgeport because of the service south of Richmond to there.

Also mentioned in the posted article is the double tracking of the section between Lansdowne and Richmond-Brighouse. I hope that it actually is done at some point but it will be a big project that will take over a year, and depending on the scope, it can go from adding a second guideway to tearing down the existing guideway and rebuilding the last section of track.

2 hours ago, Thomasw said:

I feel like I've just been kicked in the ball.

That's just my experience as a service worker. I get kicked in the balls for doing my job.

1 hour ago, briguychau said:

Also mentioned in the posted article is the double tracking of the section between Lansdowne and Richmond-Brighouse. I hope that it actually is done at some point but it will be a big project that will take over a year, and depending on the scope, it can go from adding a second guideway to tearing down the existing guideway and rebuilding the last section of track.

Something that should have been done in the first place.

Personally I think it's a good idea to have the 98 back (maybe without the Airport Station) at least as a peak hour express route, and there probably should be more peak hour express routes.

I don't know when they plan to expand the capacity of Canada Line (2050 seems too far away), so it's good to have alternatives. It will be similar to what STM is doing to relief the Orange Line in the downtown area (e.g. STM #427). On the other hand, Granville is almost always congested as well as Oak and the #480 already sufferred quite a bit. Maybe they can plan an express along Knight too.

Richmond being the reason that the spurs are single tracked and now want to go back and have it done right, and the 98 back as a cherry on top is is real rich.

Same government too. File it behind subway to UBC and SkyTrain to Langley, Richmond had their chance and blew it.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, P8093 said:

Maybe the new 98 can via brighouse, oval, alpha Liang bridge, Granville to buruad station

The bus service in Oval is not enough and there are lots of new apartment but just one bus route right now

There's plans to reroute the 402 to serve the Oval in the future with FTN service.

• Like 1