TTC H4 Retirement Watch

TDE

Even the photogallery had an error. One of the photos showing the front of the train is not an H4! You can even glimpse the red clothed seat inside the window! And the caption clearly states H4 at Kennedy Stn!

http://photogallery....tar.com/1122890

There's a ton of spelling/grammatical errors too... but hey, it's the star :P

Unfortunately I wasn't able to fan the H4 train one last time during its last run as I had a doctor's appointment early in the morning. Thankfully I was able to do a lot of H4 fanning in the past and managed to get tons of photos and videos. Good memories! I will miss these Hawkers! :rolleyes:

From what I've seen, even though polls have shown the old trains won't be missed. I don't believe that overall they won't be missed. I've seen several people board H4's and go "wow, these seats are so comfortable". Yes, the lack of A/C was very hard on the H4's reputation. Although, I do believe many will miss the bench seating and their uniqueness from the other subway cars.

If there's anything to learn from the H4's, their comfortable seating was a big plus, and their ability to outrun the other subway cars with their quick door opening and closing. Their silent motors are also something else, all the newer subway cars (especially the T1's) have much louder motors. You'd think motors would become quieter as technology progresses like cars, trucks and buses, that's clearly not the case though. The H4's are definitely ancient now, but there's many things that could have been implemented in the newer subways cars that weren't. That's why I'm having a hard time accepting the H4's passing.

From what I've seen, even though polls have shown the old trains won't be missed. I don't believe that overall they won't be missed.

Nostalgia means nothing to some people. -_-

Even the photogallery had an error. One of the photos showing the front of the train is not an H4! You can even glimpse the red clothed seat inside the window! And the caption clearly states H4 at Kennedy Stn!

http://photogallery....tar.com/1122890

Why bother looking at the seats? Just look at the headlights... the H4s had the 'aftermarket added below the car body' type... the picture clearly has the 'H6-T1 lights built into the car body' type.

And I've seen several people who hate the seats because they keep sliding off them.

That's odd. I never slid on them. Maybe it's my clothes that help me stick to the seat. Overall, not seeing seats like on H4's again wouldn't be terrible. They're quite out of date. Although, comfy leather seats would be nice. My point is though, sitting on seats that have nothing but a couple centimeters of leather and a metal (or plastic) frame beneath is not fun to sit on. I know the TTC is only a municipal transit system, but still.

Isn't the reason that trains don't tend to have comfy seats any more is that foam and such tends to increase the flammability rating of the cars?

IIRC, one of the reasons was to cut down on vandalized/slashed seats. I'm sure there's a laundry list of reasons such as easier to clean, easier to maintain, cheaper, etc.

Damn...just got back after a holiday and I missed the last day. You guys should be giving Brad Ross a big thumbs up for giving you a heads up on the last day of service. Communication, or lack thereof has been a major isssue for the TTC in recent years, and the man went out of his way to make this announcement, so big thanks to him.

I don't know why, but the H-4's just felt faster and more powerful than other trains..more of a roller coaster feel than a RT car.

Thankyou to the TTC for keeping these vehicles in service so long, and thanks to all the employees at Hawker-Siddley many years ago who crafted these wonderful vehicles. Thanks to all involved. Wish I colud have snagged myself one of those plush seats though..... lol

Damn...just got back after a holiday and I missed the last day. You guys should be giving Brad Ross a big thumbs up for giving you a heads up on the last day of service. Communication, or lack thereof has been a major isssue for the TTC in recent years, and the man went out of his way to make this announcement, so big thanks to him.

I don't know why, but the H-4's just felt faster and more powerful than other trains..more of a roller coaster feel than a RT car.

Thankyou to the TTC for keeping these vehicles in service so long, and thanks to all the employees at Hawker-Siddley many years ago who crafted these wonderful vehicles. Thanks to all involved. Wish I colud have snagged myself one of those plush seats though..... lol

I agree, thank you Brad for the heads up, and the TTC and Hawker-Siddeley for these wonderful vehicles and 38 years of service. Now if only me and the bus driver were thanked when I said the last GM would make it's last run on the Yonge shuttle :rolleyes:. Then again, everyone probably already knew, so it was probably useless info.

Indeed, that feel was felt especially when the H4's accelerated. It's funny, because the H4's were actually the TTC's least powerful subway cars. I guess it was the way they were designed :P.

Well, the H4 charter was my last ride on them. :(

I remember the first time I got on one with wil9402, the subway seemed pretty painful to ride but since I was from Montreal, the lack of AC was something I can get used to. But the fans on the H4s seem so much better than our MR63 and MR73s. The styling was neat, it wasn't bread and butter styling. Everything from that to down to the font on the roll sign, I enjoyed my few rides on them.

I'd like to thank wil9402 for coming with me initially to fan a H4 with me back in 2009 and Kevin for that charter too!

Well, the H4 charter was my last ride on them. :(

I remember the first time I got on one with wil9402, the subway seemed pretty painful to ride but since I was from Montreal, the lack of AC was something I can get used to. But the fans on the H4s seem so much better than our MR63 and MR73s. The styling was neat, it wasn't bread and butter styling. Everything from that to down to the font on the roll sign, I enjoyed my few rides on them.

I'd like to thank wil9402 for coming with me initially to fan a H4 with me back in 2009 and Kevin for that charter too!

Your welcome. That was a fun day overall, the H4 just topped it all off. We were lucky to get one without waiting too long considering it was summer service at the time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest orionvi

All the cars delivered to Future Enterprises have been scrapped except possibly for the heavily vandalized pair. Could someone confirm?