TTC H4 Retirement Watch

TDE

With nearly 10 TR sets in service, 6 known trains of T1's relocated to the BD (36 cars, could be more too) and no H4 spottings in a while, I think it may be the end of the original H-cars on the TTC.

I'm pretty sure the H4s last day of service was the same day as the New Looks, as I thought it would be. I'm just waiting until regular service resumes to confirm this as their could be a chance that they are just not using them due to lower service requirements over the holidays that could easily be provided with the H6s and T1s only.

I rode the entire BD this afternoon and counted every single train. I wasn't surprised to find that there were no H4s out. I did note though that for the holiday service reductions they reduced the amount of PM peak trains from 40 to 35, so we'll have to wait and see weather the H4s will be in service next week when those five PM peak runs (and likely 5+ AM peak runs) are reinstated.

I rode the entire BD this afternoon and counted every single train. I wasn't surprised to find that there were no H4s out. I did note though that for the holiday service reductions they reduced the amount of PM peak trains from 40 to 35, so we'll have to wait and see weather the H4s will be in service next week when those five PM peak runs (and likely 5+ AM peak runs) are reinstated.

I'm hoping the H4's can go out like the GM's did. It would suck if the H4's were all retired without us even knowing. An official last day would be nice. That way we can get my final rides and pics in. Hopefully the H4's will stay a bit longer.

I've had it confirmed, that ALL H4's are REMOVED from service (as of DEC, 11th), I had this confirmed by a very reliable source, & also they have started stripping the best ones & making them into work cars, also, a few of the H6's have already been taken off the line & the stripping has begun, I don't know how many, but they have started work on them.

I'll miss th H6's when they're gone, damm good A/C in the summer, & usually very warm in winter...

I've had it confirmed, that ALL H4's are REMOVED from service (as of DEC, 11th), I had this confirmed by a very reliable source, & also they have started stripping the best ones & making them into work cars, also, a few of the H6's have already been taken off the line & the stripping has begun, I don't know how many, but they have started work on them.

You sure about that date? There were H4 sightings until December 16th. I personally rode an H4 last on December 13th.

I'll miss th H6's when they're gone, damm good A/C in the summer, & usually very warm in winter...

No offence Emily, but your "very reliable sources" have been proven wrong more than once in the past, and wil9402's already proven your statement wrong.

No offence Emily, but your "very reliable sources" have been proven wrong more than once in the past, and wil9402's already proven your statement wrong.

H4's have been spotted after your "Dec 11" date so your statement of a very reliable source seems to be incorrect. I am with wil9402 on this, we will get a much clearer picture when normal service resumes on Monday.

5661 was on the east end of a 6-car set that departed Chester WB around 1230xm. There were less than 10 passengers on-board. It was difficult to make out the red coloured numbers on the wooden backgrounded wall while both trains were moving.

5661 was on the east end of a 6-car set that departed Chester WB around 1230xm. There were less than 10 passengers on-board. It was difficult to make out the red coloured numbers on the wooden backgrounded wall while both trains were moving.

I had a feeling the H4's were gonna stick around a bit longer. These subways really know how to grip on for dear life. I'm surprised though, an H4 out on the weekend? I remember seeing the H4's out on weekends around a year ago, but since there isn't 7 sets anymore, so you'd think it would be a lot easier to restrict them. Well, it's good to know the H4's will be around for a bit longer. Now, hopefully when their last day comes, all of us will know so they can go out in style.

It was (Eastbound) 5663-62-5606-07-5649-48. I rode it on 270 during PM peak.

Photo: 5663 westbound at Islington

This same train was on 62 this morning.

I guess the same train was out yesterday evening (Tuesday Jan 10th).

I decided to go one stop west from Yonge and see if I could catch an H4 from Bay, which is a much nicer station to wait for a while in. As we pulled into Bay, the H4 train was leaving eastbound. 5663 was the last car to disappear into the tunnel. I forget the time, but it would have been around 6PM.

If only I had waited at Yonge, instead of hopping on the westbound T1. As Maxwell Smart said so often, "Missed it....by THAT much."

Do you guys expect the ttc to do some fancy retirement trip for the Hawker series like they did for the G trains? I doubt anything will be said, much like they did to the Fishbowls on their last day.

I'm far more interested in seeing what Eko Rail does to the H5's and H6's.

Do you guys expect the ttc to do some fancy retirement trip for the Hawker series like they did for the G trains? I doubt anything will be said, much like they did to the Fishbowls on their last day.

I'm far more interested in seeing what Eko Rail does to the H5's and H6's.

They did. Everybody had their chance on September 11th, 2011 at the charter.

You have previously stated you are a subway operator, so why not ask one of your supervisors when the last day will be.