Strathcona Sightings

A. Wong

Here is unit 901 on a training run arriving at the university on WB 87th Ave at 114th St. at about 1 this afternoon. Tend to see a lot more Fishbowls on training then Classics, though thats probably only because there are 2-3 times more Fishbowls then there are Classics in the fleet.

sct_901-6.jpg

Has anybody seen the Setra S417's in transit service in the past few months. I havn't spotted one in the past few months. Curious as to what happened to them, long term lease out?

Yes, since the updates of the transit service on Jan. 7th, 2008, the Setras have been used more. I think they are now used in regular service now. Before they used to only be used in charter and for the Edmonton Oilers. Quite a fancy bus! Rode on it for the first time a few days ago. :D

EDIT: (Forgot to say what I saw today) #866 at the Transit Center. Their are others but I ride so often I only remember the number if it sticks out. #866 did because I always here the bus driver on the radio... "866 to base!"

• Board Admin

866 out this morning.

Garage news: 905 is probably a goner, they took the Strathcona logo off the side of the bus. 904 and 906 are parked outside but still with logos in tact. 1012 was there with them, the shuttles, and an unknown GM.

Went out to Wye Rd Terminal for about 45 minutes after class today.

For GMC's saw 863,865,872,878 and 916.

For Classics, saw 879,900 and 901.

Rode Setra 1011 from University to Sherwood Park.

Rode 878 on the 401 back to downtown, sweet ride on the freeway into Edmonton.

953 had transmission problems and died on Connors Rd just before 95 Ave heading NB.

I too rode 1011 after my class finished at 1 in the afternoon. Overall it was a comfortable ride/seating arrangement, of course better then any transit bus currently operating in the Edmonton area. But if I had the choice and I wasn't interested in the novelty of a Setra S417, I would pick a Prevost XL-II/X3-45. The suspension on the S417 seems stiffer then the Prevost, but still way better then most transit buses. The overhead luggage racks seem a tad too simple, its angled off so that things don't fall out too easily, but I would still prefer the comfort of having a lid or string railing like on most coaches. Seating wise, the Setra seats seemed a bit more narrow then the Prevost, it seems there is more space to move around in your seat in a Prevost. Though I did enjoy the very eloquent interior styling and colors of the Setra, bit more cheery then the Prevost I think. Hopefully the Setra build quality holds up as overall the Setra's are still very nice buses.