STO and OC Transpo Routes

Cre47

Get ready for chaos. Nobody listened to the public and councillors insisted buses serve neighborhoods and every possible corner they could. Look at the 12 & 24 now both serving jasmine.. screw Ogilvie residents I guess, and that's just one example of many. 

They had countless chances to shorten commutes for people and run more direct service but chose to ignore the needs of the folks who need it most. 

6 hours ago, ZümmyZüm said:

Get ready for chaos. Nobody listened to the public and councillors insisted buses serve neighborhoods and every possible corner they could. Look at the 12 & 24 now both serving jasmine.. screw Ogilvie residents I guess, and that's just one example of many. 

They had countless chances to shorten commutes for people and run more direct service but chose to ignore the needs of the folks who need it most. 

Reminds me of September 4, 2011 when they claimed that minimal impacts would occur when there were a lot of issues reported. Such as how one area had no service and the next available route was at capacity taking on the load of the cancelled routes. 

I get New Ways To Bus is intended for Line 2 and 4 when they are in-operation. Needing to reduce operating costs and better match, but you would think they could defer some changes to factor on-demand service rather than attach routes to make them longer to cover more geography. Especially when it is difficult to retain ridership with the current system which is too downtown focused. 

Even with a lot of marketing with the transit network redesign, will be interesting if they will give a few weeks of notice to prepare or two weeks before. I can only guess with the trip planning tools to show the new schedules ahead of time, some people will still be caught off-guard or claim they couldn't access the info because it was online only. 

12 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Reminds me of September 4, 2011 when they claimed that minimal impacts would occur when there were a lot of issues reported. Such as how one area had no service and the next available route was at capacity taking on the load of the cancelled routes. 

Or thinking doctor appointments at CHEO, General Hospital or Rehab Centre would only occur during peak periods, or recovering patients who may have temporary or permanent mobility issues and are forced to walk, roll or limp hundreds of metres on non existant sidewalks to (now is called) Ring Road to take the 106 during off peak hours.... They fixed it the next service change in December 2012 by running at all times around the campus, except in the evening and early morning, but it goes to show their planning department will do the most arrogant standard of route cuts just to get that dollar figure down.

• Like 2

OC have started installing "Future" bus stop flags along Montreal Road between Blair and Burma Roads.

The only changes at these stops would be from orange Frequent route 12 Parliament to blue Frequent route 12 Tunney's Pasture.  I still think OC would have saved a lot of money by keeping the orange numbers for Frequent routes and changing the Rapid routes from blue to orange, rather than changing all the orange route numbers to blue. <_<

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

OC have started installing "Future" bus stop flags along Montreal Road between Blair and Burma Roads.

There are also some of those “Future” stops at around the alta vista drive area. Saw them a few times this week.

Finn

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So it appears OC is confident enough that Line 2 will be ready for the Sept Fall schedule change? It'll be interesting to see the customers re-action now that they'll see the changes actually being made by seeing the visual changes at their bus stop?

I suspect some customers are not going to be please once they see their bus will no longer stop at that stop and will need to walk wat more to get to their nearest stop? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

So it appears OC is confident enough that Line 2 will be ready for the Sept Fall schedule change? It'll be interesting to see the customers re-action now that they'll see the changes actually being made by seeing the visual changes at their bus stop?

I suspect some customers are not going to be please once they see their bus will no longer stop at that stop and will need to walk wat more to get to their nearest stop? 

OC Transpo has NOT announced when the new bus route network (i.e. New Ways to Bus) will go into affect. 

But I can confirm right now that bus operators are presently booking their workshifts for the September Booking (which began on this past Monday, and will continue into mid-August). All bus operators will be required to select two (2) different sets of work - one based on the existing bus route network (i.e. the route network we see today ever since October 6, 2019), and the new bus route network (New Ways to Bus, post-2023 Route Review).

By having bus operator book two sets work, the entire bus operator workforce will be assigned work as soon as OC Transpo is ready to "flip the switch" over to the new bus route network (a date to be determined). As a result, this is an indication that the new bus route network will go into affect in the middle of the September Booking, but it is all dependent on when Lines 2/4 Trillium Line opens. 

Therefore, when September comes, the existing bus network will remain in affect in the interim until OC Transpo management is ready to move over the new bus route network. 

--
One more thing: I can also confirm that for the existing bus network for the September Booking, all "logistical arranagements" will be identical to the January 2024 and April 2024 Booking. Examples of "logisitcal arrangements" are: schedules (timetables/trip times), run numbers, interlining/run assignments, bus type assignments (with may be the odd exception through adjustments), and workshift arrangements. 

(Personal comment based on my observations: It is very rare to see OC Transpo do a carbon-copy of the logistical arrangements from previous Booking arrangement to the subsequent Booking like I'm seeing right now, it's their second time doing so. )

• Like 2

I was watching the Techinical Briefing for Trillium Line live. The General Manager of OC Transpo has said that the new bus route network (New Ways to Bus) will be implemented "shortly after the opening of Line 2/4" 

So the date of launching the new bus route network is still TBD. 

• Thanks 1