Jump to content

STO and OC Transpo Routes


Cre47
 Share

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

They won't even slightly increase the budget to extend the stupid 10 to Rideau from Lyon. If 10 years of this council has shown us anything, expect not many improvements will be made to local service despite nowadays most remaining Connexion routes are running at 1hr frequencies.  They're just gonna pocket the money on Routes like the 257, 264 and 265 given they're not going to further expand their local counterparts (110, 168, etc.). If anything, they're just gonna make very specific extensions to cover specific communities , like making the 61 serve the 263 portion in Amberwood Village, but probably axing service south of Fernbank to Kimini, or slight change to the 168 to serve Penfield to cover the 265.

why not remove the bridlewood part of the 168 and make it go to tunney’s 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, 95X Special said:

why not remove the bridlewood part of the 168 and make it go to tunney’s 

Because why would council permit that when you got it serving Eagleson, where they'll say "Well, just transfer to a 61-64, it's "frequent"."...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/3/2022 at 10:32 PM, 95X Special said:

why not remove the bridlewood part of the 168 and make it go to tunney’s 

Why would they? Local routes like the 161,168 or their counterparts 170,171, 131 and 138 all serve their purposes well. Not every route needs to extend or be altered to a LRT station. It’s growing pains for OC because there was no way to create the full line in one stage which causes more transfers for passengers. The same thing will happen for for when stage 2 is complete.

Do you really want all routes funnelled into moodie and baseline? Or would you rather still have your locals do the full route but with higher frequency. if they’re all deviating or ending at moodie you can forget about anything better than 30 min headways 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't know the entire OC route network, but I'm only guessing once Stage 2, probably Stage 3(if and when completed) I don't see 200 series routes being around. I just see local routes and you probably need to transfer to the LRT(Confederation & Trillium Lines)to make your way downtown. I see local routes being perhaps every 5-10 mins during peak hours(6AM-9AMM & 3PM-6PM)to make up for the 200 route series being eliminated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ZümmyZüm said:

 

Do you really want all routes funnelled into moodie and baseline? Or would you rather still have your locals do the full route but with higher frequency. if they’re all deviating or ending at moodie you can forget about anything better than 30 min headways 
 

yes, because if you are travelling from a different suburb you wouldn’t need to have a third transfer 

 

maybe i just gave you a bad example but if you run enough local routes to lrt station you wouldn’t need rapid routes

i rather have a bus that bring me from tunney’s straight to my destination instead of going to blair transferring at tunney's to a 61 getting off at eagleson and waiting for a 168 even if it’s more frequent 

 

 

 

Stage 2 fantasy map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1Hs9M_wq1o1mJTFkcC2YibY7y6IDC_thw

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 95X Special said:

yes, because if you are travelling from a different suburb you wouldn’t need to have a third transfer 

 

maybe i just gave you a bad example but if you run enough local routes to lrt station you wouldn’t need rapid routes

i rather have a bus that bring me from tunney’s straight to my destination instead of going to blair transferring at tunney's to a 61 getting off at eagleson and waiting for a 168 even if it’s more frequent 

 

 

 

Stage 2 fantasy map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1Hs9M_wq1o1mJTFkcC2YibY7y6IDC_thw

Which is fair that you would want a more direct line, however this is a issue Ottawa needs to fix as a whole, which is to provide all the service you need to live, within your areas boundaries. A lot of times people feel the need to travel from Kanata to downtown to do stuff which is a product of Ottawa not building to cater peoples needs. 
 

Ottawa is a massive city and it’s impossible to have everything be within 1 bus if you’re going end to end. Route 88 is one of those routes that gets halfway there and look how unreliable it is when things go wrong. If  the city just “redeveloped” within itself to provide all services locally, it would help solve a lot of issues 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, ZümmyZüm said:

Why would they? Local routes like the 161,168 or their counterparts 170,171, 131 and 138 all serve their purposes well. Not every route needs to extend or be altered to a LRT station. It’s growing pains for OC because there was no way to create the full line in one stage which causes more transfers for passengers. The same thing will happen for for when stage 2 is complete.

Do you really want all routes funnelled into moodie and baseline? Or would you rather still have your locals do the full route but with higher frequency. if they’re all deviating or ending at moodie you can forget about anything better than 30 min headways 
 

Meanwhile the 84 only going to Baseline on a 30 min schedule at rush hour when it used to go to Tunney's every 15 mins at peak rush hour 😁😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, TransitGeek said:

Meanwhile the 84 only going to Baseline on a 30 min schedule at rush hour when it used to go to Tunney's every 15 mins at peak rush hour 😁😁

Same with 83. Used to serve Tunneys at all times and now, we can barely get 30 minute service during peak hours.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

So I found a new way to digitize my maps with GIMP (the program I use). It takes these scans which may have noise and what not and nearly makes it look like how it's look on octranspo.com in the early 2000s. Here's Route 111 when the 2004 cuts killed service after 11 PM and made most trips end and start at Baseline.

111.thumb.gif.c2f228a0de3ec004c5dbe0ecd2df183d.gif

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh look what I found! An official reason why Routes 116 and 176 were on detour from April 3, 2003 to August 31st, 2003. Full report can be found here, but here is the OC Transpo part that helped pushed the city to fix this problem...  If you also wondered why MacFarland was extended in 2003, well, now you know!

Quote

To compound matters, in March of this year, bus operators complained that it is virtually impossible to make southbound left turns onto MacFarlane Road without having some portion of the bus stopped on the tracks.  To address that concern, OC Transpo undertook a public consultation to temporarily re-route buses through the adjoining Pineglen Community.  Residents of Pineglen Crescent were willing to do their part to solve the problem, but were fearful that their personal safety as pedestrians would be compromised if the bus routes remained on that street during winter months.  Pineglen Crescent has no sidewalks and is less than 6m wide, making it difficult for buses to pass one another in opposite directions, even in non-winter months.  During the public meeting, a commitment was made by the Ward Councillor to remove the buses from Pineglen Crescent within six months, by which time it was hoped that the Merivale/MacFarlane intersection would be signalized.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some old maps I came across. I have many to share soon, but I wasn't told there was maps from the 80s here too... 😋 Any who, here they are in order

Route 60 (future 82) and 63 (future 49) - June 28th, 1982: Route 60 & 63 06-28-1982.pdf 
Route 147 (Future 117 (90s), back to 147, then extended Route 111) - April 10, 1987 (or October 4, 1987??): Route 147 1987-10-04.pdf
Route 146 - August 1990 Route 146.pdf

Route 129 - June 1988 Route 129.pdf

Route 111 - April 1988 Route 111.pdf

Lastly, Routes 8 and 1 both 1988.

Route 1Route 1.pdf

Route 8Route 8.pdf

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Crap, I can't believe I didn't save it - Does anyone have any route maps of when the Transitway Ramp to the 417 was closed (towards Pinecrest) in December 2021? I only have Route 62 and it will take hours for me to make modified maps of every effected route to reflect the detour. Any help would be appreciated.

 062map.thumb.gif.eb658aadb5caac0ff0cfede061571bba.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/24/2022 at 8:13 PM, Loud-Invero said:

Crap, I can't believe I didn't save it - Does anyone have any route maps of when the Transitway Ramp to the 417 was closed (towards Pinecrest) in December 2021? I only have Route 62 and it will take hours for me to make modified maps of every effected route to reflect the detour. Any help would be appreciated.

 062map.thumb.gif.eb658aadb5caac0ff0cfede061571bba.gif

I see the Archive.org did save the route map that reflected the Pinecrest off-ramp detour for Routes 61, 62, and 63 only.

Route 61: https://web.archive.org/web/20220130215805/https://www.octranspo.com/images/files/routes_pdf/map_carte_061.pdf

Route 62: https://web.archive.org/web/20220130215759/https://www.octranspo.com/images/files/routes_pdf/map_carte_062.pdf

Route 63: https://web.archive.org/web/20220130215800/http://www.octranspo.com/images/files/routes_pdf/map_carte_063.pdf

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JCL said:

Thanks JCL. At the time,  Wayback machine was down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I remember it being discussed somewhere in the Ottawa board, likely here about the 18 going through 1-2 board changes with no official change to end at Rideau. 
 

with this new board period it appears to have finally been altered with 18s displaying “18 Rideau” on the dest sign, passenger maps no longer show parliament. For operators, our work no longer has parliament as the last/first stop which takes away the guess work of when to start at Rideau centre east. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

 

Date effective: September 09, 2022

On Friday, September 9 at 10:00 am, the southbound Bronson / Colonel By stop and Bronson / University (old) stop will be consolidated into the Bronson / University (new) stop to address a customer safety concern near the Carleton University campus.

 

My guess is drivers are overtaking buses to get into the right lane to get into the university, causing conflict between passengers running to the stop. Otherwise, not sure what the "safety concern" may be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

My guess is drivers are overtaking buses to get into the right lane to get into the university, causing conflict between passengers running to the stop. Otherwise, not sure what the "safety concern" may be.

Not exactly. The Bronson/University stop was moved north for construction at that intersection. With that short distance, plus very low usage at southbound Bronson/Colonel By, it made sense to consolidate. Now if we can do the same on Russell Road near the Perley Rideau.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, ZümmyZüm said:

they started with the 85

I believe they technically started with Routes on Montreal Road (or was it St. Laurent first?, can't remember), then the 25/28; in Blackburn Hamlet. Even then they've still done nothing, at least in my area of Caring, with the 85 stops yet. But yes, stop consolidation would definitely speed up service, and the many close stops we have is a byproduct of actually having a system with multiple choices of routes back then, say, pre-2004 and the early 90's. Oh, how have things changed...laugh.gif.9e0092168cb3abfb261f401c34e428d2.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Here's an oldie I made. Route 817. One of two early morning routes created after the 1992 early morning route restructuring that saw the majority of the 800 series routes cancelled for good in favour of regular routes, with some even having special early morning routings. This route in particular was very short lived and was shortened to end at Elmvale only after a year, followed by outright cancellation in 1996 and replaced by the 8 and 111.

Ottawa-Carleton_Regional_Transit_Commission_route_817_(1995).thumb.gif.0d5f0890bec4c0b4921325d092f912c7.gif

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Here's an oldie I made. Route 817. One of two early morning routes created after the 1992 early morning route restructuring that saw the majority of the 800 series routes cancelled for good in favour of regular routes, with some even having special early morning routings. This route in particular was very short lived and was shortened to end at Elmvale only after a year, followed by outright cancellation in 1996 and replaced by the 8 and 111.

Ottawa-Carleton_Regional_Transit_Commission_route_817_(1995).thumb.gif.0d5f0890bec4c0b4921325d092f912c7.gif

With the route showing it going to walkley then back up to bank, did it service the stop just off walkley then use the transitway loop to go back up towards bank street? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ZümmyZüm said:

With the route showing it going to walkley then back up to bank, did it service the stop just off walkley then use the transitway loop to go back up towards bank street? 

Yes. After the opening in 1995, for a short period of time, Routes 8 and 817 would serve Walkley Station (Local platforms 4C and 4B) and would use the loop to return to Walkley/Bank. This was removed in June 1996 as it was inefficient. That being said, in 1999 OC Transpo did it again, by getting new Route 141 to serve Walkley local platforms in both directions using the same loop until that route's cancellation in June 2004.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.7c093a3fb8d82d50d6bd9ffb5a136a50.jpg Route 8 - 1995:Route8.thumb.gif.4d4e92a27ec795e1e2c0b763adc07f49.gif  Route 141 - 1999: Ottawa-Carleton_Regional_Transit_Commission_route_141_(09-2001).thumb.gif.d28e80f3304916e9662c47971465e179.gif

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...