Jump to content

STO and OC Transpo Routes


Cre47
 Share

Recommended Posts

So I found out the font OC used in 1996-1998 for their digital Route maps on their website. They apparently just used Arial... Anywho, I'm remaking maps that were missing on the April 1997 achieve... First map, is Route 835. Not too bad for a retro look?

map835.thumb.gif.654c9ec76cc3e24328dd502b77cdaf75.gif

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

So I found out the font OC used in 1996-1998 for their digital Route maps on their website. They apparently just used Arial... Anywho, I'm remaking maps that were missing on the April 1997 achieve... First map, is Route 835. Not too bad for a retro look?

map835.thumb.gif.654c9ec76cc3e24328dd502b77cdaf75.gif

It's actually Helvetica. There are subtle differences between Arial and Helvetica, most notably the R and 5. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

It's actually Helvetica. There are subtle differences between Arial and Helvetica, most notably the R and 5. :)

It must be a different variety of Helvetica... With no anti-aliasing, helvetica (regular), looks very bad on a 90s style map, with or without hinting - though it is part of the same family if I'm not mistaken. Arial worked best for me without using anti-aliasing. If the map did use anti-aliasing, it definitely would have been Helvetica 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

It must be a different variety of Helvetica... With no anti-aliasing, helvetica (regular), looks very bad on a 90s style map, with or without hinting - though it is part of the same family if I'm not mistaken. Arial worked best for me without using anti-aliasing. If the map did use anti-aliasing, it definitely would have been Helvetica 

Correct. It's the same family. I think Arial was Microsoft's answer to Helvetica, which needs a usage licence.

Font edge smoothing became a thing after the early-2000s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Pinecrest C now has Route 282 Trend-Arlington serving it for now. This is a surprise given historical context, but it makes sense given the detour. For those who don't know, the former 67 ("Nepean Centre", then "Pinecrest") served Pinecrest/417 up until September 6th, 2009, with the opening of Pinecrest Station, to avoid people slowing down the 67 by opting to take the "peak" route over the express routes due to fare cost difference.\

Also, here's Route 356. 

map356.thumb.gif.383506ce79a73e873890d13c947487cb.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

STO put out a notice regarding the plan for fall service (in French).  It looks like the plan will be to reallocate resources from peak hour "express" routes to increase counter-peak and off-peak services.  Planned counter-peak and off-peak service increases for routes 38, 56, 68, and 800.  The fall schedules will be released on Planibus in July.

http://sto.ca/index.php?id=87&tx_ttnews[backPid]=2&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=33117&cHash=89f8a836b067ea6de1effcacd87529df

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I decided to create these digital infobox maps that were posted during the free transit month back in February. There were 2 versions released: A red one which only covered 15 routes, and a green one which added O-Train Line 1. Enjoy! (uploaded as GIF to bypass compression)

Free_Ride_Red.thumb.gif.9968781b3e21b160b11476146bf1aa0c.gifFree_Ride_Green.thumb.gif.31b7ad62f1622139ee68c4bc552ef171.gif

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Councilor Menard's ward has sent out an email with details of a potential change to the routes 10, 11, and 16. I've quoted the email's text below:

Quote

Proposed Changes to Route 10

Since the launch of LRT, many residents in Capital Ward (and elsewhere) have been significantly inconvenienced by the shortened route 10—currently it ends near Lyon Station, rather going through downtown to the Rideau Centre, like it used to.

After much discussion with staff, we might have a solution. Staff have come up with a proposed change to route 10 that would take it through downtown, past the Rideau Centre and through the Market to Elizabeth Bruyère—providing better connections for many residents.

To accommodate this change, adjustments would be made to routes 11 and 16, with route 11 now serving Greystone, rather than route 16. This would maintain connectivity to LRT stations and downtown, without altering the level of service through Old Ottawa East.

Do you have thoughts on extending route 10 through downtown? If so, please let us know at CapitalWard@ottawa.ca.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/16/2022 at 4:52 PM, OCCheetos said:

Councilor Menard's ward has sent out an email with details of a potential change to the routes 10, 11, and 16. I've quoted the email's text below:

I'm picturing...

10 Bruyère: Bronson, right Slater, left Bay, right Queen, left Elgin, right Wellington-Rideau, left Dalhousie, left Bruyère, then...

10 Hurdman: right Sussex, right Boteler, right Dalhousie back to Rideau then onwards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Councilor Fleury has tweeted out a map of the proposed changes:

In summary:
The 16 is eliminated and replaced with extensions of the 11 and 18.
The 11 is rerouted around Queen/O'Connor/Slater
and the 10 serves Elizabeth-Bruyère via Dalhousie->Bruyère->Sussex & Mackenzie

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

route 11: i see partial problems with using 60 foot buses constantly down somerset to main simply because the parking and spacing situations down around the university and residences especially during the winter but the 16 does occasionally use them as is so maybe im overthinking it.

Route 18: it makes sense to send it to tunneys/westboro i dont see any issues. as it stands its a relatively short route. However i think ending it at Laurier Station for the "18X" is a mistake. it needs to serve rideau CTR and end at parliament. otherwise there's no connection to the train WB

Route 10: this is a smart choice and it should of ended at rideau from the beginning. extending it to Bruyere will only help citizens more when it comes to visiting patients in hospice care. which is crucial

one change i would make however is to reroute the 9 to continue sussex to mackenzie AVE then left to rideau staiton to terminate. return trips start at rideau station, right sussex to route

route 10 would do Bruyuere as last stop/first stop. Right sussex, Right Boteler St, Right Dalhousie to route thus creating more linear routes for transfers requiring less walking to get to one stop vs the other

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ZümmyZüm said:

route 11: i see partial problems with using 60 foot buses constantly down somerset to main simply because the parking and spacing situations down around the university and residences especially during the winter but the 16 does occasionally use them as is so maybe im overthinking it.

Route 18: it makes sense to send it to tunneys/westboro i dont see any issues. as it stands its a relatively short route. However i think ending it at Laurier Station for the "18X" is a mistake. it needs to serve rideau CTR and end at parliament. otherwise there's no connection to the train WB

Route 10: this is a smart choice and it should of ended at rideau from the beginning. extending it to Bruyere will only help citizens more when it comes to visiting patients in hospice care. which is crucial

one change i would make however is to reroute the 9 to continue sussex to mackenzie AVE then left to rideau staiton to terminate. return trips start at rideau station, right sussex to route

route 10 would do Bruyuere as last stop/first stop. Right sussex, Right Boteler St, Right Dalhousie to route thus creating more linear routes for transfers requiring less walking to get to one stop vs the other

That's short trips between Tunney's Pasture and Laurier, not St-Laurent and Laurier. :) I actually think full service should always run Tunney's Pasture to St-Laurent, with service through Champlain Park and Westboro Beach operating on a limited basis.

I think buses on route 10 ending at Bruyère will have next to no recovery time, so I'd prefer Sussex>Boteler>Dalhousie as well. If that's the case, transfers from 9 Rideau to 10 Hurdman can happen along Boteler or Dalhousie. Mackenzie gets very busy with traffic heading down Colonel By.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure what's going on but NRC Haanel seems to be closed... The sign on Timm Road has been stripped of all its letters and GOC logos. If it is closed, that'd mean the 158 could be canceled...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Loud-Invero said:

Not sure what's going on but NRC Haanel seems to be closed... The sign on Timm Road has been stripped of all its letters and GOC logos. If it is closed, that'd mean the 158 could be canceled...

It's a major employer and government research facility. A closure or relocation would be a long process and would likely be reported by local media. I think it's likely a signage update or upgrade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/18/2022 at 1:49 PM, OCCheetos said:

Councilor Fleury has tweeted out a map of the proposed changes:

In summary:
The 16 is eliminated and replaced with extensions of the 11 and 18.
The 11 is rerouted around Queen/O'Connor/Slater
and the 10 serves Elizabeth-Bruyère via Dalhousie->Bruyère->Sussex & Mackenzie

Ouch!  Another long-time route bites the dust, if this change goes ahead.

Route 16 began operating on as route 52 in June 1959 and got its current number in September 1985.  It was extended to run between Carlingwood and Cyrville in September 1959, rerouted to Sandy Hill in June 1989, and extended through Old Ottawa East to the Smyth Road hospital complex in June 1990.  Route 52/16 provided continuous service in the Dovercourt and Carlingwood communities until the Confederation line opened in September 2019.

image.thumb.jpeg.dbfa4eba3697154b6d3c20ce550202d4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9e1d35c0a45eaea683612e4180e23e8d.jpegOttawa_Transportation_Commission_route_52_map_%2809-1960%29-a.pngimage.thumb.jpeg.2d8d4e6f683b8408f3289fcf3a17f0f5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f2702fbdcbb13b9d9b952930c2a6ca24.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e1e988c98ba96d0aa158a804249eb580.jpegOttawa-Carleton_Regional_Transit_Commission_route_16_map_%2804-2001%29-a.pngimage.thumb.jpeg.881be1d79254bbae9382c9f0636e22f8.jpegOttawa-Carleton_Regional_Transit_Commission_route_16_map_%2809-2018%29-a.gifimage.thumb.png.e20693edf5bf7b87c94146c6a3595b67.pngOttawa-Carleton_Regional_Transit_Commission_route_16_map_%2810-2019%29-a.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, OCCheetos said:

Councilor Fleury has tweeted out a map of the proposed changes:

In summary:...

I think these are great changes but we know what the underlining problem is... Really, Capital Ward is just asking for the 10 to extend to Rideau, but people like Allan Hubley will say "bUt DuPliCaTioN of SeRviCe!!" and "How can you justify this extension to the tax payer?" *Meanwhile doesn't pose the same question on a $112M expansion of Strandherd Dr.* ,because the extra $40K a year (or 1.5 km in each direction) will just crash the transit budget... So they have to use a hacksaw of a solution to be like "see Mr. Hubley, it's cost neutral!" just to get Jim's rubber stamp of cut-route approval, just so capital ward customers can go to and from the mall or get in or out of the core without transferring to a train.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

I think these are great changes but we know what the underlining problem is... Really, Capital Ward is just asking for the 10 to extend to Rideau, but people like Allan Hubley will say "bUt DuPliCaTioN of SeRviCe!!" and "How can you justify this extension to the tax payer?" *Meanwhile doesn't pose the same question on a $112M expansion of Strandherd Dr.* ,because the extra $40K a year (or 1.5 km in each direction) will just crash the transit budget... So they have to use a hacksaw of a solution to be like "see Mr. Hubley, it's cost neutral!" just to get Jim's rubber stamp of cut-route approval, just so capital ward customers can go to and from the mall or get in or out of the core without transferring to a train.

As much as I support eliminating layup points downtown, extending the 11 would make the route a bit too long, given its reliability issues between Richmond/Golden and Wellington W./Parkdale. I think combining 16 in Sandy Hill with the 5 is better, since the routes are better a better match in terms of frequency and service hours. The 18 can take over the 16 west of Rideau as planned.

Fun fact: I think the new 18 will actually get customers between Tunney's Pasture and St-Laurent faster than the R1!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Not sure what's going on but NRC Haanel seems to be closed... The sign on Timm Road has been stripped of all its letters and GOC logos. If it is closed, that'd mean the 158 could be canceled...

16 hours ago, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

It's a major employer and government research facility. A closure or relocation would be a long process and would likely be reported by local media. I think it's likely a signage update or upgrade.

Confirmed: facility is not closing or relocating. Signs are being updated with some sector name changes.

  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

As much as I support eliminating layup points downtown, extending the 11 would make the route a bit too long, given its reliability issues between Richmond/Golden and Wellington W./Parkdale. I think combining 16 in Sandy Hill with the 5 is better, since the routes are better a better match in terms of frequency and service hours. The 18 can take over the 16 west of Rideau as planned.

Fun fact: I think the new 18 will actually get customers between Tunney's Pasture and St-Laurent faster than the R1!

You’re not wrong there, ever since they fixed the running time on the 16 we can do tunneys to parliament in about 9-11 minutes, 18 can easily do parliament to st Laurent in under 20… 

unless they reroute the R1 via Albert/Slater again but that’s another story 👀 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ZümmyZüm said:

unless they reroute the R1 via Albert/Slater again but that’s another story 👀 

I thought only S1 served those streets? I don't recall R1 ever serving Albert or Slater (as much as I'd like them to).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Service changes effective June 26th:

School routes (600 series and special trippers on select regular routes) will be removed for the summer and will return on September 6th. 

Weekend service to summer destinations (Canada Aviation and Space Museum, Petrie Island, and the Canada Agriculture Museum) will return. Noted below:

  • Route 25 to Canada Aviation and Space Museum
  • Route 139 to Petrie Island
  • Route 185 to the Canada Agriculture and Food Museum

Canada Day service: 

  • Line 1 operating on a Friday schedule with additional trips in the late evening
  • Line 2 bus replacement on a special Canada Day schedule 
  • Regular bus routes will operate on a Sunday schedule with additional buses will be stationed to run as directed to where they are needed to increase capacity 

Civic Day service:

  • Line 1 will operate on a reduced weekday schedule 
  • Regular bus routes will operate on a regular Sunday schedule with increased frequency along select routes
  • Select trips on rapid transit routes 61, 63 and 75 will be extended to operate into Gatineau during peak periods

Schedule adjustments and improvements: 

Route 27 Wateridge/St. Laurent

  • Three round trips will be added to depart St-Laurent Station at approximately 10:00 am, 12:00 pm, and 2:00 pm.
  • The route will be adjusted to travel via Wanaki, Mikinak, and Codd’s roads. This will bring service closer to customers in new areas of Wateridge, including Veterans’ House.

Route 40 St. Laurent/Greenboro

  • Off-peak service will be adjusted to operate along Johnston, while weekday peak service will remain along Tapiola.

Route 82 Lincoln Fields & Tunney's Pasture/Bayshore

  • The Saturday eastbound 10:00 am trip and westbound 4:15 pm trip will be removed.

Route 93 Leitrim/Greenboro

  • Service will be adjusted to operate along Bradwell Way instead of White Alder.

Route 162 Stittsville/Terry Fox

  • Saturdays: The first two trips of the day in either direction will shift 8 minutes earlier to better offset Route 62 service between Terry Fox and Tanger Outlets.

  • The first southbound trip will depart Terry Fox Station at 7:42 am.

  • The first northbound trip will depart Stittsville at 8:10 am.

Seasonal frequency adjustments on 25, 82 and 87.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Service changes effective June 26th

Any word on whether the routes which were suspended last year because of COVID (17, 224, 225, 233, 235, 251, 266, 275 and 284) will be restored, or are they done like dinner?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tomsbuspage said:

Any word on whether the routes which were suspended last year because of COVID (17, 224, 225, 233, 235, 251, 266, 275 and 284) will be restored, or are they done like dinner?

It's in the hands of city council now, but it's looking less and less likely that they will be restored (as they were, anyway) as time goes on. 

It's unlikely that council will increase transit funding just to restore these routes, but perhaps service will be restructured and most of these routes will be replaced with more local service.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, OCCheetos said:

It's in the hands of city council now, but it's looking less and less likely that they will be restored (as they were, anyway) as time goes on. 

It's unlikely that council will increase transit funding just to restore these routes, but perhaps service will be restructured and most of these routes will be replaced with more local service.

They won't even slightly increase the budget to extend the stupid 10 to Rideau from Lyon. If 10 years of this council has shown us anything, expect not many improvements will be made to local service despite nowadays most remaining Connexion routes are running at 1hr frequencies.  They're just gonna pocket the money on Routes like the 257, 264 and 265 given they're not going to further expand their local counterparts (110, 168, etc.). If anything, they're just gonna make very specific extensions to cover specific communities , like making the 61 serve the 263 portion in Amberwood Village, but probably axing service south of Fernbank to Kimini, or slight change to the 168 to serve Penfield to cover the 265.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...