STO and OC Transpo Routes

Cre47

8 hours ago, CD123 said:

New route maps also starting to go up at stops. Some peculiarities with the new 86 local map, e.g. Tunney's Pasture marked with connection to (1), but not Hurdman (or LeBreton/Pimisi); and "All day service" in English, but in French, "Périodes de pointe seulement".

IMG_8310.jpg

I am presuming because once LRT opens, the 86 will be cut at Tunneys and route 46 or 48 (cant see too clearly on map posted) will take over in the east end.

51 minutes ago, Enviro_1203 said:

I am presuming because once LRT opens, the 86 will be cut at Tunneys and route 46 or 48 (cant see too clearly on map posted) will take over in the east end.

Route 46, as 48 is already taken.

In other "news", Councillor Blais posted the future Orleans network in November:

http://stephenblais.ca/en/latest-news/606-major-improvements-for-orleans-bus-riders

9 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

And yet OC Transpo still refers to route 159 in their detour notices.  That and the wiki needs to be updated.  Hence my confusion.

Yeah, I goofed this time... :rolleyes: 

I'm the only one who's updating the wiki often on OC and STO, you'll see alot more updates once I graduate high school in 2 weeks ? I've mainly been focusing on 700 & 800 series routes the last little while, I've so far done routes 1 - 69, 720 - 796, and 801 - 891 *individually*. I'll get to the old 100 series local/regular routes very soon. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

I'm the only one who's updating the wiki often on OC and STO, you'll see alot more updates once I graduate high school in 2 weeks ? I've mainly been focusing on 700 & 800 series routes the last little while, I've so far done routes 1 - 69, 720 - 796, and 801 - 891 *individually*. I'll get to the old 100 series local/regular routes very soon. 

Ah, I thought there were other wiki editors working on OC as well...

Any plans to link OC Transpo routes with their OTC predecessors?  I prepared a list of OTC routes a while back linking them to their modern counterparts:

1 - Bank-Heron Rd. to St. Patrick --> 6 Greenboro to Rockcliffe

B - Bank to Rideau --> 1A - Bank-Seneca (University) to St. Patrick --> 7 Carleton to St. Laurent

S - Holland to Laurier --> 2 - Somerset-Byron to Rideau Airport/Rideau-NRC --> 11 Bayshore to Rideau

R - Preston - Rockcliffe --> 3 - Preston to Sussex-Eastview --> 3 - Colonnade to Hurdman (cancelled)

E - Bronson to Elgin/Ottawa East --> Bronson to Wellington trolleybus --> 4 - Bronson to Mann-Chapel --> 4 - Carleton to Rideau

ELGIN - Lyon-Wellington to Riverdale --> 5 - Hull to Riverdale --> 5 - Rideau to Billings Bridge

CROSSTOWN - Ottawa West to Pretoria Bridge --> 6 - Rideau-Sussex to Holland --> [56] Hurdman to Tunney's Pasture

41 - Rideau-Mosgrove to Crerar --> 14 Carlington to St. Laurent

51 - Brittania to Overbrook --> 18 Parliament to St. Laurent

52 - Carlingwood to Cyrville --> 16 Britannia to Main/Hospital

71 - Holland-Wellington to Parkwood Hills --> 86 Elmvale to Baseline

82 - Bank & Grove to Metcalfe Road --> 142 South Keys to Gloucester South/Sud (cancelled)

85 - Bank & Grove to Pleasant Park --> 149 Hurdman to Elmvale --> 49 Elmvale to Hurdman

2 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

Ah, I thought there were other wiki editors working on OC as well...

Any plans to link OC Transpo routes with their OTC predecessors?  I prepared a list of OTC routes a while back linking them to their modern counterparts:

1 - Bank-Heron Rd. to St. Patrick --> 6 Greenboro to Rockcliffe

B - Bank to Rideau --> 1A - Bank-Seneca (University) to St. Patrick --> 7 Carleton to St. Laurent

S - Holland to Laurier --> 2 - Somerset-Byron to Rideau Airport, Rideau-NRC --> 11 Bayshore to Rideau

R - Preston - Rockcliffe --> 3 - Preston to Sussex-Eastview --> 3 - Colonnade to Hurdman (cancelled)

E - Bronson to Elgin/Ottawa East --> Bronson to Wellington trolleybus --> 4 - Bronson to Mann-Chapel --> 4 - Carleton to Rideau

ELGIN - Lyon-Wellington to Riverdale --> 5 - Hull to Riverdale --> 5 - Rideau to Billings Bridge

CROSSTOWN - Ottawa West to Pretoria Bridge --> 6 - Rideau-Sussex to Holland --> [56] Hurdman to Tunney's Pasture

41 - Rideau-Mosgrove to Crerar --> 14 Carlington to St. Laurent

51 - Brittania to Overbrook --> 18 Parliament to St. Laurent

52 - Carlingwood to Cyrville --> 16 Britannia to Main/Hospital

71 - Holland-Wellington to Parkwood Hills --> 86 Elmvale to Baseline

82 - Bank & Grove to Metcalfe Road --> 142 South Keys to Gloucester South/Sud (cancelled)

85 - Bank & Grove to Pleasant Park --> 149 Hurdman to Elmvale --> 49 Elmvale to Hurdman

Yes I do have that planned! I just need the time to do then and not have to worry about school or anything :)

• Thanks 1

Would someone be able to explain this? Before September 5th, 2004, why did OC Transpo have an obsession of making west end express routes start/end at Hazelden Mall in the west, Beacon Hill Mall in the east, and Elmvale in the South? I'd imagine there's significant demand by government employees to board/get off at those malls in the AM/PM...

Any ideas or theories would be greatly appreciated.  

map023.gif

map024.gif

map048.gif

map061.gif

map062.gif

map063.gif

map064.gif

map066.gif

OC_8555.jpg (Read the yellow sign under the fare card, what is the point in doing a 66 if it only ends at the mall! People can take a 97 (Kanata)!

8 hours ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

Would someone be able to explain this? Before September 5th, 2004, why did OC Transpo have an obsession of making west end express routes start/end at Hazelden Mall in the west, Beacon Hill Mall in the east, and Elmvale in the South? I'd imagine there's significant demand by government employees to board/get off at those malls in the AM/PM...

map023.gif

map024.gif

map048.gif

map061.gif

map062.gif

map063.gif

map064.gif

map066.gif

OC_8555.jpg (Read the yellow sign under the fare card, what is the point in doing a 66 if it only ends at the mall! People can take a 97 (Kanata)!

I believe that old express routes 48 and 49, were less of an express route but more of an extension of the regular routes that followed the same routing(148/149). Route 149 only went to Hurdman and 148 only went to Billings Bridge, but would be extended to downtown using the number 48 and 49 in the AM going downtown and returning in the PM. Useful for the government workers that lived in Alta Vista and Elmvale, and anyone else that worked downtown that did not want to have to transfer to a even busier bus.

-Charlie

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

I believe that old express routes 48 and 49, were less of an express route but more of an extension of the regular routes that followed the same routing(148/149). Route 149 only went to Hurdman and 148 only went to Billings Bridge, but would be extended to downtown using the number 48 and 49 in the AM going downtown and returning in the PM. Useful for the government workers that lived in Alta Vista and Elmvale, and anyone else that worked downtown that did not want to have to transfer to a even busier bus.

-Charlie

Thanks Charlie for your observation!

Though I wonder how could I see OC justify the westbound extensions to Hazeldean Mall, like that photo I posted of 8555 doing a 66 special to Hazeldean Mall..  which is redundant...

13 hours ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

I'm only speculating here, but it is possible that these malls may have acted like Kiss-and-Ride stops, where commuters might have been picked up by car to continue on to other communities.  In addition, one should keep in mind that express routes charged regular fares once they left the Transitway or Queensway in the afternoon, so it is possible that riders in those communities took the express routes to the nearest mall and transferred to local routes there--and the express routes probably ran more frequently than the local routes anyway.  This could even have been the case for commuters from downtown, taking the 23 to Beacon Hill and then transferring to 123 to get to Rothwell Heights, for instance.

• Thanks 1

My random thought of tonight was how are they going to run Line 1 Bus Shuttle Service:

• (0) Leave Blair Station
  • (1m) Turn onto City Park towards Bathgate
  • (3m) Left Ogilvie
  • (5m) Left Cummings
  • (6m) Right Cyrville (serve the station slightly) 
  • (7m) Left Ogilvie 
  • (7m) Left St Laurent
  • (9m) Enter St Laurent Stn
  • (13m) Pull out St Laurent Stn, make left down St Laurent
  • Right Tremblay
  • (18m) Serve Via Rail Stn
  • Exit Via Rail, Left Tremblay, Left Vanier Pwky, Right Hurdman
  • (24m to arrive, 28m out) Serve Hurdman
  • Left Vanier, Onto 417, Right King Edward/Lees Ave
  • (32m) Serve Lees
  • Continue down Lees Ave, Right Main, Right Greenfield, Left King Edward
  • (36m) Serve King Edward / Templeton
  • Left Laurier
  • (39m) Serve Laurier / Cumberland
  • Right Nicholas, Left Dalhousie, Left Rideau
  • (44m) Serve Rideau
  • Continue Rideau, Left Elgin, Right Queen
  • (46m) Serve Metcalfe
  • (48m) Serve Bank
  • (50m) Serve Lyon/Kent
  • Left Bronson, Right Albert
  • (52) Serve Lebreton
  • (54m) Serve Bayview
  • (58m) Serve Tunney's Pasture

Alright, there's an one hour detour, not counting for dwell times at stops.

That’s a good question about replacement bus services for the new train. However, won’t the 95 operate across town overnight to maintain 24/7 services as won’t the trains stop operating at around midnight?

As for the new 86 sign, that is definitely a typo in French. 

22 hours ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

As a more central end point, perhaps.

3 hours ago, CanadaGoose said:

My random thought of tonight was how are they going to run Line 1 Bus Shuttle Service:

• (0) Leave Blair Station
  • (1m) Turn onto City Park towards Bathgate
  • (3m) Left Ogilvie
  • (5m) Left Cummings
  • (6m) Right Cyrville (serve the station slightly) 
  • (7m) Left Ogilvie 
  • (7m) Left St Laurent
  • (9m) Enter St Laurent Stn
  • (13m) Pull out St Laurent Stn, make left down St Laurent
  • Right Tremblay
  • (18m) Serve Via Rail Stn
  • Exit Via Rail, Left Tremblay, Left Vanier Pwky, Right Hurdman
  • (24m to arrive, 28m out) Serve Hurdman
  • Left Vanier, Onto 417, Right King Edward/Lees Ave
  • (32m) Serve Lees
  • Continue down Lees Ave, Right Main, Right Greenfield, Left King Edward
  • (36m) Serve King Edward / Templeton
  • Left Laurier
  • (39m) Serve Laurier / Cumberland
  • Right Nicholas, Left Dalhousie, Left Rideau
  • (44m) Serve Rideau
  • Continue Rideau, Left Elgin, Right Queen
  • (46m) Serve Metcalfe
  • (48m) Serve Bank
  • (50m) Serve Lyon/Kent
  • Left Bronson, Right Albert
  • (52) Serve Lebreton
  • (54m) Serve Bayview
  • (58m) Serve Tunney's Pasture

Alright, there's an one hour detour, not counting for dwell times at stops.

2 hours ago, 8792 said:

That’s a good question about replacement bus services for the new train. However, won’t the 95 operate across town overnight to maintain 24/7 services as won’t the trains stop operating at around midnight?

As for the new 86 sign, that is definitely a typo in French. 

EDIT: dev161 posted the LRT times. Any routes that run past 12 am that connect to an O-Train Line 1 Station (61, 62, 95, 97, 106 *Soon to be 61, 62, 34 & 75, 57 & 97, 106*) will extend to downtown (Rideau Station??) until 4 or 6am to better serve those heading to downtown in addition to being a safety issue in regards to being dropped off at a transit station and having to wait for the train at Hurdman, Blair, or Tunney's for up to 15 minutes. The reason I say 4 or 6 am is because we know right now the 95 (soon to be combined with route 94 to become 34 *east* & 75 *west*) provides early morning service to Belfast so people still need that service. As well as the 61 providing service to Queensview since 2004, and still in 2010 when 891 was cancelled, it will continue to provide service to Pinecrest garage until Stage 2 happens and the city builds Queensview Station for the (rare) people who do need service to Queensview. That's what I've overheard anyways.

4 minutes ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

From what I've heard as of now, the trains will run every 24/hr, but only every 15 minutes after 12 am. Any routes that run past 12 am that connect to an O-Train Line 1 Station (61, 62, 95, 97, 106 *Soon to be 61, 62, 34 & 75, 57 & 97, 106*) will extend to downtown (Rideau Station??) until 4 or 6am to better serve those heading to downtown in addition to being a safety issue in regards to being dropped off at a transit station and having to wait for the train at Hurdman, Blair, or Tunney's for up to 15 minutes. The reason I say 4 or 6 am is because we know right now the 95 (soon to be combined with route 94 to become 34 *east* & 75 *west*) provides early morning service to Belfast so people still need that service. As well as the 61 providing service to Queensview since 2004, and still in 2010 when 891 was cancelled, it will continue to provide service to Pinecrest garage until Stage 2 happens and the city builds Queensview Station for the (rare) people who do need service to Queensview. That's what I've overheard anyways.

"They will come about every five minutes during rush hour and every 15 minutes after midnight. They will run from 5 a.m. until 1 a.m. Mondays to Thursdays, then until 2 a.m. on Friday, from 6 a.m. to 2 a.m. on Saturday and 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Sunday and holidays."

https://ottawastart.com/how-to-use-ottawas-light-rail-transit-in-2018/

• Thanks 1

Intersting? But assuming they run the system like the TTC subway they can always run shuttles between stations?

During the time  Line 1 is operating.

Example

There an issuee at Rideau Station>

Trains

Blair(or Trim Stage 2) To Hurdman

Hurdman to Blair

Shuttle Buses

Hurdman To Rideau Centre(as it now)To Lebreton(or what ever the name is for the LRT)and vice versa.

Trains

Lebreton to Tunneys Pasture(or further after Stage 2)

I can see what dev 161 is saying, but when Line 1 is operating after it shuts down remember it'll be after midnight and there will be little traffic to delay the buses.

In that vid from Ottawastart, I'm not sure why OC didn't opt for the 59 meter train instead of the 48 meter train?

By having all the trains(each one)59meters each train could hol;d more per train and even more when coupled.

1 hour ago, MCIBUS said:

Intersting? But assuming they run the system like the TTC subway they can always run shuttles between stations?

Example

Trains

Hurdman to Blair

Shuttle Buses

Hurdman To Rideau Centre(as it now)To Lebreton(or what ever the name is for the LRT)and vice versa.

Trains

I can see what dev 161 is saying, but when Line 1 is operating after it shuts down remember it'll be after midnight and there will be little traffic to delay the buses.

In that vid from Ottawastart, I'm not sure why OC didn't opt for the 59 meter train instead of the 48 meter train?

By having all the trains(each one)59meters each train could hol;d more per train and even more when coupled.

I did an employee tour months ago and remember the trainer saying there are bypass tracks , in the event a train brakes down or station becomes inaccessible in the tunnel the next train(s) can just pass by it and move on to the next station 

4 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Example

Trains

Hurdman to Blair

Shuttle Buses

Trains

For that particular example (an issue at Rideau) trains could, in theory, operate all the way to Campus station and then use the crossover just beyond the station to turn around. Then you'd only have to run a shuttle from Campus to some other downtown station (probably Parliament since there's also a crossover there). 

As for the length of the trains, the line is designed to meet the current demands of the old Transitway which is why we only need 48m long trains. Building the line for above current peak demand would basically be a waste of money at this time. 59m trains won't need to be considered for a fairly long time since we can just continue to increase the frequencies of trains to meet higher demand. Once the capacity of the line is maxed out in both frequency and vehicle capacity, then longer trains can/should be considered.

OC Transpo is proposing changes to Route 256 AM peak to be better consistent with the PM peak direction.

Proposed 256 Routing Change Feedback

256Change_EN_Banner.png

Since the December 2017 service change, we have been closely monitoring Route 256 to ensure it is meeting customers’ needs. Several changes have already been made to improve capacity, including the addition of an extra afternoon trip and the adjustment of several trips to operate with higher capacity buses. 

We are now exploring an option to modify the route in the morning and we want to know what you think.

From Richmond Road, the modified route would travel along Holly Acres Road and the Transitway before rejoining the current route at Pinecrest Road. This proposed route change would:

• Match the afternoon routing
  • Provide more reliable service by avoiding highway congestion between Richmond and Pinecrest
  • Improve connections to Bayshore Shopping Centre
  • Allow connections at Bayshore Station to DND Carling Campus and employment locations in Kanata North

Map of the 256 proposed routing

256_route_change_may302018.png

If implemented, the route would take approximately two minutes longer than the current route on days without highway congestion, but could be faster on days with severe congestion. Also, the existing stop at Richmond / Nanaimo would no longer be served; customers who use this stop would instead cross the street and board at Holly Acres / Richmond.

http://www.octranspo.com/routes/proposed_256_routing_change_feedback

Final comments:

Personally, I think it would be easier especially when they would also bypass 417 if getting really congested with a lot of car traffic if the proposed changed is approved of course.

The Transitway between Bayshore and Pinecrest exists for that purpose to begin with. 

53 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

OC Transpo is proposing changes to Route 256 AM peak to be better consistent with the PM peak direction.

Proposed 256 Routing Change Feedback

256Change_EN_Banner.png

Since the December 2017 service change, we have been closely monitoring Route 256 to ensure it is meeting customers’ needs. Several changes have already been made to improve capacity, including the addition of an extra afternoon trip and the adjustment of several trips to operate with higher capacity buses. 

We are now exploring an option to modify the route in the morning and we want to know what you think.

From Richmond Road, the modified route would travel along Holly Acres Road and the Transitway before rejoining the current route at Pinecrest Road. This proposed route change would:

• Match the afternoon routing
  • Provide more reliable service by avoiding highway congestion between Richmond and Pinecrest
  • Improve connections to Bayshore Shopping Centre
  • Allow connections at Bayshore Station to DND Carling Campus and employment locations in Kanata North

Map of the 256 proposed routing

256_route_change_may302018.png

If implemented, the route would take approximately two minutes longer than the current route on days without highway congestion, but could be faster on days with severe congestion. Also, the existing stop at Richmond / Nanaimo would no longer be served; customers who use this stop would instead cross the street and board at Holly Acres / Richmond.

http://www.octranspo.com/routes/proposed_256_routing_change_feedback

Final comments:

Personally, I think it would be easier especially when they would also bypass 417 if getting really congested with a lot of car traffic if the proposed changed is approved of course.

The Transitway between Bayshore and Pinecrest exists for that purpose to begin with. 

from my experience the bus actually ends up saving time if it didn't go through Bayshore... somedays I sit almost 10 mins to get from 417/Geenbank stop to Queensway when I do my 268 but I always see the 256 fly by in the Merge lay 

• Like 1

The highway isn't the problem with the 256. It's not frequent enough for the passenger load, and it's NEVER anywhere close to on-time at any point of the route. I used to be able to count on it arriving at my stop at the time posted on the flag, or very close to (except on days of inclement weather of course), but it's been 6+ minutes late almost every day since the change. We're talking about one of the first stops on the route, too.

It needs to be split back into two routes, or at least have its frequency increased to every 10 minutes. Especially if they're going to continue to refuse to put a double decker bus on the last run during the fall and winter like they've been doing for the last two years. It's very close to being at capacity (if not over capacity) before it even gets to Old Richmond road. Of course, adjusting the scheduled times so that they are actually attainable in the real world might help too.

Most operators take the off-ramp anyways. On days of heavy congestion, it's a time saver. On other days, it's a huge waste of time. The opposite is true when operators choose to skip the off ramp and proceed to Queensway station.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HB_1024 said:

The highway isn't the problem with the 256. It's not frequent enough for the passenger load, and it's NEVER anywhere close to on-time at any point of the route. I used to be able to count on it arriving at my stop at the time posted on the flag, or very close to (except on days of inclement weather of course), but it's been 6+ minutes late almost every day since the change. We're talking about one of the first stops on the route, too.

It needs to be split back into two routes, or at least have its frequency increased to every 10 minutes. Especially if they're going to continue to refuse to put a double decker bus on the last run during the fall and winter like they've been doing for the last two years. It's very close to being at capacity (if not over capacity) before it even gets to Old Richmond road. Of course, adjusting the scheduled times so that they are actually attainable in the real world might help too.

Most operators take the off-ramp anyways. On days of heavy congestion, it's a time saver. On other days, it's a huge waste of time. The opposite is true when operators choose to skip the off ramp and proceed to Queensway station.

10 hours ago, dev161 said:

from my experience the bus actually ends up saving time if it didn't go through Bayshore... somedays I sit almost 10 mins to get from 417/Geenbank stop to Queensway when I do my 268 but I always see the 256 fly by in the Merge lay 

I agree. When the 69 and the 252 ran along via Queensway it always seemed faster than the transitway routes. Granted now Pinecrest is "off only" for all connextion routes (except 283) but realistically drivers driving connexion still pick people up at Pine station anyways adding more time to not only transfers but the majority of those that get on at Pinecrest get off at Queensway or Lincoln Fields

• Like 1

22 hours ago, OCCheetos said:

For that particular example (an issue at Rideau) trains could, in theory, operate all the way to Campus station and then use the crossover just beyond the station to turn around. Then you'd only have to run a shuttle from Campus to some other downtown station (probably Parliament since there's also a crossover there). 

As for the length of the trains, the line is designed to meet the current demands of the old Transitway which is why we only need 48m long trains. Building the line for above current peak demand would basically be a waste of money at this time. 59m trains won't need to be considered for a fairly long time since we can just continue to increase the frequencies of trains to meet higher demand. Once the capacity of the line is maxed out in both frequency and vehicle capacity, then longer trains can/should be considered.

Three-car trains were also taken into account when the stations were being designed. The underground stations and Hurdman are already built for them, whereas the above-ground stations are, according to the project office, "easily expandable."

New paper maps:

Route 17 extended to Parliament station.

New route 151 from 11X trips

Route 185 has been redesigned (and rerouted??)

Route 80 is shortned to Tunney's killing off the extension it did since August 29th, 1999 when the 176 replaced the 56 in Amberwood.

Route 174 seems to be rerouted from the looks (or maybe it's just me)

Route 66 extends to Innovation station on some trips.

20180614_133456.jpg

20180614_133601.jpg

20180614_133627.jpg

20180614_133647.jpg

20180614_133739.jpg

20180614_133806.jpg