STO and OC Transpo Routes

Cre47

New user guide and network map available

http://www.sto.ca/pdf/guide_automne_2011_2012.pdf

http://www.sto.ca/pdf/carte_reseau_2011_2012.pdf

I've noticed they've removed the extra trips on routes 33 and 39 as well as Route 10's schedule (only showing see www.sto.ca). Understand, that the extra weekend trips can be removed now as well as the route 10 weekend trips, since the Help Line Service has ended this week. However, the Route 10 will be available/needed still for a while though probably with just a couple of morning, afternoon and evening trips. They should at least keep the extra route 33 and 39 trips on weekdays. The 15:20 trip on route 33 is back to its previous start position at Gabrielle-Roy yet there were some people that used that trip, so I don't understand shorten that trip. Wouldn't cost more by keeping it's start position at Freeman.

• 3 weeks later...

Found out that during the Sept 4 cuts, they ended up cutting all but 20 of the school routes (and adding 1 to replace a bunch of them, total of 21 now). That I guess went unannounced. Everyone was so focused on the regular routes that this got ignored. (Not that I really care anyway, even if I did still go, my old school didn't get any cuts, as we had none in the first place)

Interesting enough, Louis Reil is the only school that didn't lose a single route.

• 1 month later...

A report has been posted that recommends the expansion of the weekly rural shuttle service to other rural areas in the City: http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/cityc...ral%20Areas.htm

Presently, Route 186 operate between Carlingwood and North Gower/Kars on Fridays only. The report recommends the creation of four new routes, which are routes 201 to 204 (note Route 186 would be relabelled as Route 205).

If approved, this new service would begin in January 2012.

A report has been posted that recommends the expansion of the weekly rural shuttle service to other rural areas in the City: http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/cityc...ral%20Areas.htm

Presently, Route 186 operate between Carlingwood and North Gower/Kars on Fridays only. The report recommends the creation of four new routes, which are routes 201 to 204 (note Route 186 would be relabelled as Route 205).

If approved, this new service would begin in January 2012.

Oh looks like a revival of the old Rural Locals that came in with the Rural Express routes. I did a good research project on these for the wiki. All of them can be found under the 180-189 and 190-199 pages, as they are the only black routes in there (except the 186, the only remains of the rural local routes).

They were kind of a failure since they operated at two hour frequencies during the midday only. But I can't see anything more being successful since the ridership just isn't there.

But these might be successful since they will only operate once a week and appears to be going where most registered para-transpo users would like to go. This might just actually work. Also I can see a scheduling benefit to this since this can actually be a legit run, as look at how they plan to operate the routes every day of the week to different locations. I know a few years ago the 186 Shoppers Special was operated by an extra, not sure if it still is, I would still think it is ran by a extra.

Btw did they HAVE to put "low floor buses"? All our fleet is low floor buses. We don't have any high floor buses left.

Oh and seeing how they plan to operate one to Dunrobin and Carp which currently lacks any OC service, this should be good as this town currently lacks even a rural express. Same goes for Metcalfe and Greely. But I can see Metcalfe and Greely being opposed to this, since they opposed Rural Express's so their taxes wouldn't go up since then they would be paying for OC Transpo services. So we might see some opposition coming from the implementation of the 204.

But this is really more of a Para Transpo service using OC Transpo buses and they already have Para Transpo service down there, so I don't think the City should tax them for OC Transpo service due to this route, after all they only get one bus per direction per week and the funding for this will apparently come out of the Para Transpo budget. Really not fair to consider it an OC service due to the fact we reduce the need for Para Transpo.

Oh looks like a revival of the old Rural Locals that came in with the Rural Express routes. I did a good research project on these for the wiki. All of them can be found under the 180-189 and 190-199 pages, as they are the only black routes in there (except the 186, the only remains of the rural local routes).

They were kind of a failure since they operated at two hour frequencies during the midday only. But I can't see anything more being successful since the ridership just isn't there.

But these might be successful since they will only operate once a week and appears to be going where most registered para-transpo users would like to go. This might just actually work. Also I can see a scheduling benefit to this since this can actually be a legit run, as look at how they plan to operate the routes every day of the week to different locations. I know a few years ago the 186 Shoppers Special was operated by an extra, not sure if it still is, I would still think it is ran by a extra.

Btw did they HAVE to put "low floor buses"? All our fleet is low floor buses. We don't have any high floor buses left.

Oh and seeing how they plan to operate one to Dunrobin and Carp which currently lacks any OC service, this should be good as this town currently lacks even a rural express. Same goes for Metcalfe and Greely. But I can see Metcalfe and Greely being opposed to this, since they opposed Rural Express's so their taxes wouldn't go up since then they would be paying for OC Transpo services. So we might see some opposition coming from the implementation of the 204.

But this is really more of a Para Transpo service using OC Transpo buses and they already have Para Transpo service down there, so I don't think the City should tax them for OC Transpo service due to this route, after all they only get one bus per direction per week and the funding for this will apparently come out of the Para Transpo budget. Really not fair to consider it an OC service due to the fact we reduce the need for Para Transpo.

Do you remeber what year they introduce the rural Express/Locals? If I know the year I can possiblelypost the routes pamlets?

OK I found them. Very Interesting. It didn't last long and the routes where renummber within a year.

IIRC, riders on the 700-series routes could pay cash or one ticket on boarding, or with a transfer from a rural express route, but Rural Express passes were the only passes accepted. As I recall, the routes were cancelled because of low ridership--for instance, route 730 to Navan had only two riders all day. :P

• Haha 1

Routes were cancelled as Tomsbuspage said, due to low ridership, but they were also among system-wide cuts made due to budget issues. It seems OC went through a major expansion period for a year, then ran into financial realities.

Btw routes 183 (served Richmond during the mid-day), route 184 (I wouldn't call this a rural local route since it operated only in Barrhaven, but it was created at the same time and cancelled at the same time and ran at the same frequency as the rest), route 186 (served Manotick during the midday and rush hours), route 196 (served Manotick from South Keys during midday and rush hours), and route 199 (served Rideau Carleton Raceways).

They were the locals I was talking about. They also had one serving Navan during the midday but when looking it up, I could not find a number nor could I find a map. Route 186 ended up being the sole survivor from these rural local routes. But seeing as the rural express version of the local route was numbered 100 digits higher then the local, I would assume the local would be the 131. But that I think was just an orleans local at the time.

Follow-up to last post.

So if you want to do last photo shots of buses on that route this week, you have to be at Lebreton between 6:00 and 6:20 AM, between 2:20 PM and 2:45 PM, between 3:30 and 3:50 PM and between 0:05 AM and 0:20 AM.

• 1 month later...

Holiday and winter schedules are still not posted. Are they still thinking about more tweaks because of all the overcrowded buses and other complaints.

They are now available. though for now you have to use the drop-down box to choose a date after the 8th.

Midday service only to the Rehab Centre will be restored on the 106.

Might add, but the 96 will run every 10-15 minutes to/from Stittsville in the rush hour starting in January.

Also, they've removed the time point in Gatineau on the winter schedules, the map for the winter schedule still shows the 96 having a PM rush hour routing from Gatineau.

Also did anyone noticed there are fewer 156, 172 and 178 AM peak trips that becomes a 95 at Baseline

1) Scotiabank Place will be used as Park and Ride starting January 9. Two Sittsville Express routes will be revised to enter Scotiabank Place

2) Details on the additional service increase to accomodate the overcrowding (as a result of the Network Optimization that was implemented this past September) is expected to be publicized on Monday.

1) Scotiabank Place will be used as Park and Ride starting January 9. Two Sittsville Express routes will be revised to enter Scotiabank Place
Wow that was quick, I read in the newspaper a week ago that a Councillor wanted to do that ever since he got elected. But it made no mention that it was a item up for debate.

Btw if anyone is interested, OC has posted maps for routes 201-205 (the new Rural Shoppers Specials that will be funded using Para Transpo funds)

Also just noticed a typo on OC's part, because apparently the 205 inbound trip gets to Beaverwood and Scharfield at 09:183. I assume that is supposed to say 09:18.

Found on Sto.ca under service changes

Sto Guide updates

Effective Jan 9 2012

Routes 20, 33, 35, 36, 37 and 38 – Direction Ottawa

After a 12-month pilot project, the routes for these buses have been changed so that they enter Ottawa via the Macdonald-Cartier bridge. Routes 21 and 31 will continue to use the Alexandra Bridge.

• 1 month later...

With the Lansdowne Park Redevelopment Project going forward, the City has identified a need to provide adequate transit service on days with special events.

There is a 139-page PDF report specific to transit operations for Lansdowne Park: http://www.ottawa.ca...p/cap078203.pdf .

I have not completed reading the report as I write this post (only at pg 22 :) ), but there is a lot details in what the plan is. One example is to operate supplementary service on Route 1 from Rideau Centre to Biilings Bridge then continue to Hurdman Station afterwards. Different service requirements will be in place depending on how large the event will take place.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Have read on one of the two free papers, they might have other routes to serve the Scotiabank Park and Ride, perhaps the 96 pretty soon.

Spring schedules should be posted soon, but I thought they're be would only do three schedule changes each year rather then four. At least that's what I've read before they would remove the spring changes and have the same schedules from January to June.