STO and OC Transpo Routes

Cre47

Here is a thread where to discuss about transit changes and improvements and also to discuss suggestions for improved routes on both sides of the river and the reasons for suggesting improvements.

The first one I want to list is not a route change but flowing improvement in three areas. The city is planning reserved bus and bike lanes on some major arteries among those includes Carling Avenue near the Lincoln Fields Station area in both directions (looks to be only bus for now) which will help somewhat all routes on that road including the 85 and 97. There are also plans for bus lanes on southbound King Edward for STO buses as well as Heron Road between Prince of Wales and the Southeast Transitway.

Here is a thread where to discuss about transit changes and improvements and also to discuss suggestions for improved routes on both sides of the river.

The first one I want to list is not a route change but flowing improvement in three areas. The city is planning reserved bus and bike lanes on some major arteries among those includes Carling Avenue near the Lincoln Fields Station area in both directions (looks to be only bus for now) which will help somewhat all routes on that road including the 85 and 97. There are also plans for bus lanes on southbound King Edward for STO buses as well as Heron Road between Prince of Wales and the Southeast Transitway.

I hope OC Transpo can do something about zillion buses pull into Mackenize King, Laurier Station and Campus Station at once!

i would like to see octranspo to run some of the west end express buses from Lebreton flats to Lincoln feilds on the Ottawa River Parkway.

With one stop at the tunneys pasture complex

I hope OC Transpo can do something about zillion buses pull into Mackenize King, Laurier Station and Campus Station at once!

They've got to do something with that #2....It's always a coin toss whether I'm going to get it or not, It cannot be relied upon.

Also I don't know how many times the poor driver on my 85 has got stuck at red lights, the light's green when he pulls up to the stop, then turns yellow just as he's pulling away. I get angry as a passenger.

The STO budget has been adopted and there will be an additionnal $1.1 million added for service improvements for the next year. One article mentionned a new route 62 towards Parc Greber (a think it's an industrial area I'm not sure, but it would likely be just a peak route then). Additionnal evening service towards les Promenades will be added as well as improved service for Le Plateau, and I think I've heard Aylmer too. However, for Buckingham and the far east of Gatineau it will not be before 2009 when major changes will be implemented.

However, for Buckingham and the far east of Gatineau it will not be before 2009 when major changes will be implemented.

*grumble*

Well, I guess by then, the two new developments will be built. I know they're putting in some 700 homes just off of Lépine, as well as another development beside the 50 (Looks like they're extending what's already there).4

*grumble*

Well, I guess by then, the two new developments will be built. I know they're putting in some 700 homes just off of Lépine, as well as another development beside the 50 (Looks like they're extending what's already there).4

Many of the changes will be made in January 2008 like additionnal evening service locally. There will also be some ajustements for possibly more trips for the Buckingham (98) service for this year, but the big changes particularlly for Masson-Angers will be in 2009 (perhaps January - but not sure).

Pretty soon, we may know about ajustements for OC service coming in the winter, although considering the plenty of changes in the fall, there shouldn't be too many changes until probably next April.

Why doesn't the STO have late & early morning service?

I'm just curious as why the STO doesn't provide late service after 12AM to 3AM(like OC) and early morning servce 4AM to 5:30AM(like OC)?

Probably not enough demand for it. Then again, I can't say for sure, as if I'm on any route late at night, it's the 96, and that barely has ridership during the day.

I wonder if STO has any plans to make use of that new stretch of highway on Des Allumetieres (Used to be Boul. De L'Outaouais) that'll be opening up to St. Laurent? Perhaps it could be part of their planned improvements?

There is a French article discussing about that. I could see the 25 and 26 using the roadway until Saint-Joseph then go south there until Tache so to maintain service to the University in condition they increase service on the 29 and/or 39 to avoid overcrowding for the Saint-Raymond portion (Manoir des Trembles) as they also rely on the 25 and 26. The supplementary trips on the 39 can start at the Hospital exactly where the 28 does.

http://www.info07.com/article-154780-Comme...e-dautobus.html

I am pretty sure that the demand is much higher for earlier morning service and late night - it may be the lack of service that drives away the ridership. The STO will add late-evening service to some routes to winter in Gatineau, Aylmer and Le Plateau.

There are two things I would like to see improve.

First of all and this concerns particularly the STO - try to remove as much as possible any weird/wild intervals. One good example is the Route 53 in Aylmer. Looking at the eastbound Saturday schedule the five trips starts at 6:10, 6:44, 7:44, 8:59, 9:29. Later on it shows: 16:59, 17:29, 18:19, 19:40, 20:40. I know that there are User Guides, but would it be better to have a simpler schedule with regular intervals during a certain period, that means every 30 Minutes instead of having two trips separating by 30 minutes and then the next well over an hour later or again 43 minute-intervals.

During the rush hour the Aylmer regular routes are replaced by the rush hour ones but in some cases there are significant gaps between the regular and the rush hour trips. For example, the last westbound 51 trip before rush hour starts at 14:40 at Rivermead towards the Cedars neighborhood in Aylmer and then the next trip going there is the 41 is at 15:45 (Rivermead time). On the other side, there is only a six-minute interval between the last 45 at Rivermead and the first 53 after rush-hour (Those routes serve the southern section of Aylmer). Maybe some schedule ajustments would be needed - preferably a 15-20 minute gap between the last 53/first 45 and last 45/first 53.

Of course, those examples are a couple of numerous other similar cases of weird intervals.

Meanwhile, additionnal bus/bike lanes on both sides of the river should be added. For example, before the Rapibus is completed there should be a bus/carpool lane on Hwys 5 & 50 in both directions with other ones on Maloney, Saint-Raymond, Des Allumettieres (future) and extended sections on Tache (westbound), Greber, Lady Aberdeen Bridge (after construction)

In Ottawa, maybe Wellington Street (downtown) should have a bus lane as well.

Doesn't Wellington already have a bus lane? Or are you talking about the other part of it.

Between Elgin and just south of the Portage Bridge entrance, there is no clear designated lane for buses.

Although on the western leg of Wellington on the 2, maybe there should also be designated lanes - although probably no all the segments or just rush-hour only as there are tons of businesses and obviously, owners loves to have parked cars in front of their stores (they need those).

The STO will do an experiment next week to see if routes 88, 94 and 98 will be faster via Greber and Fournier rather then Hwy 50 during the morning rush hour. Buses will exit Montee Paiement and follow the Greber/Fournier corridor towards downtown. I would say it will work for trips after 6 or 6:30 AM but not those starting before 6 AM.

They've also added a trip on Route 98 starting at 5:15 AM.

Put the 101 (ex-99) back on the Queensway between Booth and Carling/Kirkwood.
Instead of just listing a list of "improvments" it would be a good idea to put your reasons why you are making the suggestion, this should then stimulate a decent level of debate as to the merits of your suggestion.

Because moseying along Booth and Carling just wastes a lot of time, especially when no one's there - which is probably the case outside rush hours. That's added at least 10-15 minutes to what used to be a fast trip across town on the original 99.

Have a look at this City document in regards to 2008 Service

http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycounc...TE-TRA-0012.htm

In this document, there are possibilities that there will be significant service improvements but also significant service cuts - cuts that I am already against, because it serves key areas of the city, some of them growing communities.

Among the improvements includes, new weekends service on the 94 to Orleans South, on the 95 in Barrhaven Centre and the extension of the 84 to downtown at all times. 30-minute service would be possible for routes 129 and 170 all day Sunday and route 176 Saturday evening.

There are also possibilities of re-structuring three of the five routes that were voted among the worst routes including the 2, 3 and 85, while new routes are proposed for Half Moon Bay (south Barrhaven) and Kanata North. There is also possibilities of extending Routes 32, 163, 171 and 261 to serve new communities.

Service frequency increase and/or increased capacity will also be introduced (mostly on weekdays) for routes 2, 3, 7, 14, 18, 85, 87, 94, 95, 96, 97, 101, 111, 117, 118 and 172 as well as various express and other peak routes.

However, some routes are also in danger of losing lots of service and this will depend if the City Council will have Common Sense not to accept those proposed reductions and would affect (and eliminate) evening and weekend service on the 4, 111, 116, 125, 135, 144, 145 and 172. The only exception is that the only the Elmvale-Billings Bridge section of the 111 would be spared on evenings and parts of Saturday as well as the Hurdman-Carleton section of the 4 on evenings. THose are the cuts proposed in order to meet Scary Larry's dear promise of "Zero means zero".

What doesn't make sense, is that the 4 is vital for Carleton at all times, the 135, 144 and 145 are serving growing communities, the 125 is important for significant portions of Orleans, the 116 is one of the key routes for someone travelling from Barrhaven to South Keys (via the 95 until Baseline) and the 111 is a major cross-town route serving several large communities such as the Meadowlands Drive, Alta Vista and Elmvale areas. The 172 is also important for the Greenbank Road area as the only link to Bayshore on weekends.

This page is related to customer service and some customer feedback that may involve potentiel suggestions for improvements

http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycounc...TE-TRA-0014.htm

Second of all, I would suppose that the holiday and winter schedules will be out soon, probably this week, if not next week.

Edit: They've just posted it this morning

http://www.octranspo.com/maps_menue_JAN.htm

http://www.octranspo.com/Xmas/xmas_calendar_menuE.htm

Again, no O-Train service Christmas Day and New Year's Day.

If they do split routes 2, 3 and 85, I think the eastern segment should end west of downtown. For Route 2 the western portion would end at Rideau Centre via the current routing of the 2 while the eastern portion would end at Westboro (since many trips ends there) via the Transitway. As for the 3 its western route would also end at Rideau Centre while the eastern segment would end at Tunney's Pasture via Albert (like the 16 and 18). For the 85 its western segment would end at Hurdman and the eastern one at Tunney's Pasture also via the Transitway.

I know there are some duplications due its to reduce as much as possible transfers and would add more routes to connect the O-Train at Bayview - that is until they decided whether they would finally decide to extend the train service.

They are also proposing route 111 to be restructured. I remember that in one document related to the routes re-structuring in conjunction of the north-south light rail extension proposial, that they would split the 111 in two routes with one route going from Lincoln Fields to Billins Bridge and the other one from St-Laurent to Confederation but not via Billings Bridge. Maybe it can be done like that but maybe the eastern route could do Billings Bridge and Data Centre before ending at Confederation.

With STO, while maybe not necessarily an improvement, but how about on routes like the 96 (during the weekdays, anyway), instead of having the ones towards Buckingham deadhead to Hull (or wherever), while meanwhile another bus does the route towards the Promenades, why not have the run towards Buckingham interline with the run towards Gatineau?