Joe Clark's wondiferous tour of TTC signs: Sunday

Ed Drass

snipped from facebook:

TTC Type & Tile Tour (TTTT)

Description:

I’m hosting a tour of Bloor-Danforth-Scarborough TTC stations. We‘ll look at priceless old typography, unique tiles, and the TTC’s crappy and half-arsed replacements for both.

Starts at Scarborough Centre next Sunday, October 28, at 1400 hours sharp

Contact InfoWebsite:

http://joeclark.org/tour

Note:

Sunday, October 28, 2007, at 1400 hours on the dot

NEW MEETING POINT: Meet inside Victoria Park station at ground level (downstairs inside the station). (We had to move it from Scarborough Centre because that station is closed this Sunday.) This would be a bad time to be late. Look for me in my purple hat.

http://joeclark.org/design/signage/TTC/TTTT/

What happened in your building ? You don't have to answer if it makes you uncomfortable.

Jim Wilkes

Staff Reporter

Less than an hour before he was shot to death, Jamie Hilton was packing boxes of food and clothing bound for relatives in Jamaica.

The 21-year-old was gunned down in a Dundas St. W. apartment shortly before 9 p.m. Saturday, just a block from the apartment where he lived with his mother and three younger siblings.

He was, according to family and police, "a good boy" who had never been in trouble with the law.

And yet he died in a hail of gunfire that also wounded another man and left police hunting for the tenants of the apartment he visited.

"This is not right," Julette Douglas sobbed as she left home to identify her son's body at the morgue.

"He's a good kid, a good kid. He never had no problem with the law.

"It's very hard for me now as a mother to go through this, my first son gone. I miss him and I love him so much. I don't know what happened, but my son is not here with me any more. It's not fair."

Moments later, her son's girlfriend collapsed in grief on the lawn outside her Mabelle Ave. apartment. Douglas tried vainly to console her, but finally lifted her up and led her to a waiting car.

Hilton's uncle, Denzel Reid, said his nephew had been at his Toronto home from 4 to 8 p.m. on Saturday, packing boxes the family planned to take to relatives during a Christmas visit. "Then somebody came and picked him up to take him home," he said. "I was so shocked to get the call that he had been killed."

Reid said Hilton had been in Canada about 10 years. He has two teenaged sisters and a 3-year-old brother. He also has half-siblings who live with his father in Jamaica. "Everyone is taking it so hard."

Hilton was shot several times in a unit on the 18th floor of a high-rise near Islington Ave. He staggered down the hall before collapsing in a pool of blood by the elevator.

The second wounded man was able to make it to hospital on his own and is expected to survive, said homicide Det. Sgt. Steve Ryan.

Ryan said the apartment was being rented by a man and a woman, who disappeared after the shootings. He called them "the key to this entire investigation.

"Our concern right now is for their safety," Ryan said. "I'm not suggesting they're suspects at all in this investigation, but it's real important that we speak to both of them."

Ryan said there had been shots "from at least one firearm, perhaps more. ... For all intents and purposes, there was a shootout in a small apartment. As you can imagine, it was a mess." He said police had been called to the apartment in the past, but did not elaborate.

Yuk, that's horrible. What a shocker that must be. That's gonna stick with you for a long time. Eventually it will fade.

My neighborhood gets a lot of killings. Lots of drugs and prostitution in the 'hood.

The first EPS constable to be shot (and killed) while on duty happened in a back alley across from my building. He was const. Ezio Farone. There is a park beside Grandin LRT Station in his honour.

Yuk, that's horrible. What a shocker that must be. That's gonna stick with you for a long time. Eventually it will fade.

My neighborhood gets a lot of killings. Lots of drugs and prostitution in the 'hood.

The first EPS constable to be shot (and killed) while on duty happened in a back alley across from my building. He was const. Ezio Farone. There is a park beside Grandin LRT Station in his honour.

Thanks CaptianTrolley

Note:

Sunday, October 28, 2007, at 1400 hours on the dot

NEW MEETING POINT: Meet inside Victoria Park station at ground level (downstairs inside the station). (We had to move it from Scarborough Centre because that station is closed this Sunday.) This would be a bad time to be late. Look for me in my purple hat.

<a href="http://joeclark.org/design/signage/TTC/TTTT/" target="_blank">http://joeclark.org/design/signage/TTC/TTTT/</a>

Nope. Couldn't go. Sunday is my day of rest for transitfanning.

Edited by Vern7094

• 4 months later...

Joe's brought up this news tidbit over on the Transit Toronto website. The TTC is planning on overhauling the design of all but a handful of stations in an effort to make each one of them unique. Apparently oblivious to the existing subtle design already built into the system. The parts which are inconsistent with the pattern are stations which had been previously redesigned with no consideration to the original patterns.

Granted there are those who think the existing design of the subway system leave much to be desired, comparing it to an institutional bathroom. There is a logic to this apparent madness, though somewhat subtle. Perhaps a compromise by installing artwork into the stations. Certainly much cheaper than replacing all the tiling in each of the stations.

Joe's brought up this news tidbit over on the Transit Toronto website. The TTC is planning on overhauling the design of all but a handful of stations in an effort to make each one of them unique. Apparently oblivious to the existing subtle design already built into the system. The parts which are inconsistent with the pattern are stations which had been previously redesigned with no consideration to the original patterns.

Granted there are those who think the existing design of the subway system leave much to be desired, comparing it to an institutional bathroom. There is a logic to this apparent madness, though somewhat subtle. Perhaps a compromise by installing artwork into the stations. Certainly much cheaper than replacing all the tiling in each of the stations.

Although I do agree that all the stations shouldn't be 'destroyed' and completely retiled, I do think that each station on the Bloor-Danforth line needs to be spruced up and have its own unique flair that complements the existing scheme. Some durable art could be found to tie the entire station together that complements the colours/style already in the station, and install it in sections while leaving the original tiles intact.

Along with this process, could the TTC PLEASE replace the tiles that were added to block off areas. Two examples come to mind: the old streetcar passage at Woodbine and former phone booths at Pape by the stairs to the westbound platform. The original colour scheme at Pape is yellow tiles, yet they cover the phone booths in a small, vertical ORANGE tile. Woodbine's passageway is also closed off in tiles that do not even closely match the blue-green tiles already at the station. It looks immature that they couldn't match their tiles even remotely close.