Plane Crash

translink

At just after 4:00 pm PST a small plane crashed into the side of an apartment building. I'll be edting this post if i get any more info. any thoughts post here.

Edit @ 6:47 PM PST

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

One dead in B.C. plane crash

Updated Fri. Oct. 19 2007 9:32 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Police have confirmed that the pilot and sole occupant of the small pane that crashed into a building in Richmond, B.C. has died. The crash occurred at 4:10 p.m. local time in a suburb of Vancouver.

Cpl. Rob Vermeulen says that two other people were injured, but had no other details about their condition.

Friday evening CTV News in Vancouver showed a gaping hole in a condominium building made of concrete. There was no smoke coming from the building, and there was no sign of the plane, itself.

The RCMP confirmed late Friday evening that the entire plane was still inside the building.

Cpl. Rob Vermeulen told reporters that the building was evacuated of its residents because of "concern there is the smell of aviation fuel."

CTV News in Vancouver reported that a woman was screaming for help from near the plane crash site right after the crash.

"She was just outside the gaping hole," said Jas Bhopal. "I said, get back! Get back!"

Bhopal, a psychiatrist who has a practice inside the building, said he "heard a sudden bang and got the shock of my life" when the crash occurred. He said aluminum then started falling from the building.

"The first thing you think of September 11th," said another witness. "It was just aweful."

RCMP Cpl. Nycki Basra told CTV News in Vancouver that the plane hit the ninth floor of the building's north side.

Richmond General Hospital was put under "orange alert" temporarily on Friday. That meant that medical staff was not allowed leave the hospital until further notice. Fire, police, and ambulance crews are on the scene. Transportation Safety Board of Canada is also now reportedly on the scene.

Investigators say it is too soon to confirm the cause of the crash.

There is word that the plane is a Piper Seneca, a light aluminum aircraft capable of carrying six to eight passengers. The plane was logged to go the Fraser Valley community of Pitt Meadows.

Basra said police are calling on people to stay out of the area. CTV News in Vancouver, which is live on location in the area, has shown a small crowd gathering outside of the building, watching in disbief.

Witnesses have claimed the plane circled the building just before the crash.

Aaron Kennington, a pilot who witnesses the crash, said the aircraft took off much lower than it should have, before banking right. Kennington said the pilot could have lost control of the plane.

Kennington said the fact that there were no flames or smoke coming from the crash site could suggest "fuel starvation" or engine failure. He said investigators will likely look into both of those situations.

Edited by translink