Jump to content

Today's Sightings


Recommended Posts

Last Friday, I saw many LE (or ex-LE) units at the west island:

  • 30-201 on the 209
  • 31-106 on the 207
  • 31-111 on the 72
  • 31-200 on the 203

Today:

  • 40-016 was on the 208, looks a little weird seeing a big rooftop on a bus doing an SL route (I guess it's just me but it's very rare that we see these buses at SL).

I don't like how the STM is scattering buses to a garage instead of sending a nice, clean range (ex: 31-187 to 31-197). Saint-Denis has gotten scattered units from both Legendre and Anjou. Now there are scattered Legendre units at Saint-Laurent and LaSalle so it's hard to tell on whether those buses have been transferred to.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Blue Hybrid Bus said:

40-016 was on the 208, looks a little weird seeing a big rooftop on a bus doing an SL route (I guess it's just me but it's very rare that we see these buses at SL).

I saw it on the 208 as well, it struck me as a surprise. I haven’t seen a full rooftop bus in SL territory since 2020. 

On 3/12/2022 at 3:46 PM, M106 said:

Well, some CT have a good reputation at repairing their buses and some don't.  Stinson have not a good reputation and this where all 37-xxx are located.  Maybe, this is part of the answer... or this is just a coincidence.

37-004 might be the evidence we need lol!! Does anyone know what’s wrong with that one? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/12/2022 at 3:46 PM, M106 said:

Well, some CT have a good reputation at repairing their buses and some don't.  Stinson have not a good reputation and this where all 37-xxx are located.  Maybe, this is part of the answer... or this is just a coincidence.

I don't think it's just a coincidence. Back in the days I remember people here saying that St-Denis had trouble with maintenance - and their 31 series were the roughest to ride (until Stinson taught me otherwise). Given how that 37 series with the beeping farebox I took last week stayed in service until the end of the day, I bet they don't do any maintenance on their bus until it gives up on the street (i.e. probably no preventive maintenance).

Similarly, one can compare the 29-8xx at Stinson vs Legendre. The ride quality seem to be dramatically different, with the Stinson ones screaming with all their forces, barely able to stay on the road whenever I take one (not that often). I took 29-815 today on the 470: again tons of rattling, the engine and transmission sounded very coarse, and the axle was making lots of noise when it was on the highway. 30-827 I took on the 121 later was another story. One may say that the routes at SN aren't like at LE, but highway mileages (SN) should be gentler on the bus than urban mileages (LE)...

1 hour ago, haydenrab said:

37-004 might be the evidence we need lol!! Does anyone know what’s wrong with that one? 

I don't have an answer for you, but all I can say is it'll probably not run well even if it comes back. It was parked outdoors at Stinson, exposed to the elements, for almost a year without moving, until it disappeared recently.

===

I took 28-025 and 059 on the 121 yesterday. I could not believe my eyes - it felt like being in a dream. Haven't seen so many 2nd gens around in a good while!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/11/2022 at 9:17 PM, Frozen Yogurt said:

Took 37-039 on the 171 tonight! Finally a hybrid. Unfortunately, the front door would not open. When the driver tried to open it by hand, it flew open with a great slam. Also there's a huge amount of vibrations and rattling when the bus is idling.

That’s a problem with novas occasionally where for whatever reason the air pressure going to the doors is building up but it’s sticking, I’ve had it to where I go to push the door by hand and all that air pressure almost whacks my shoulders 

 

On 3/12/2022 at 3:46 PM, M106 said:

Well, some CT have a good reputation at repairing their buses and some don't.  Stinson have not a good reputation and this where all 37-xxx are located.  Maybe, this is part of the answer... or this is just a coincidence.

Could this also be due to Stinson not having a ton of extras readily available? Where I work it’s often the case that because we’re so short on buses as is, we can’t afford to take one off the road for “minor” defects and as said in another post it’s ran until it gets towed in. 
 

2 hours ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

I don't think it's just a coincidence. Back in the days I remember people here saying that St-Denis had trouble with maintenance - and their 31 series were the roughest to ride (until Stinson taught me otherwise). Given how that 37 series with the beeping farebox I took last week stayed in service until the end of the day, I bet they don't do any maintenance on their bus until it gives up on the street (i.e. probably no preventive maintenance).

Similarly, one can compare the 29-8xx at Stinson vs Legendre. The ride quality seem to be dramatically different, with the Stinson ones screaming with all their forces, barely able to stay on the road whenever I take one (not that often). I took 29-815 today on the 470: again tons of rattling, the engine and transmission sounded very coarse, and the axle was making lots of noise when it was on the highway. 30-827 I took on the 121 later was another story. One may say that the routes at SN aren't like at LE, but highway mileages (SN) should be gentler on the bus than urban mileages (LE)...

This I’ve actually noticed quite a bit in my time in Montreal, buses on routes like the 121 seems to pull a little smoother and just be overall greater quality of bus. But again that’s likely due to SN having a larger surplus of spare buses, or just more maintenance staff to keep up with an aging fleet 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

Similarly, one can compare the 29-8xx at Stinson vs Legendre. The ride quality seem to be dramatically different, with the Stinson ones screaming with all their forces, barely able to stay on the road whenever I take one (not that often). I took 29-815 today on the 470: again tons of rattling, the engine and transmission sounded very coarse, and the axle was making lots of noise when it was on the highway.

Oh my gosh I rode 29-815 on the 470 on Friday and it was something else. I recorded the sounds that it was making. So much grinding, it could not have been healthy. Plus the bus absolutely stank. Back to SL routes for me... lol a garage that actually well maintains its buses. 

STM 29-815 crap bus.m4a

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/13/2022 at 10:31 PM, ZümmyZüm said:

Could this also be due to Stinson not having a ton of extras readily available? Where I work it’s often the case that because we’re so short on buses as is, we can’t afford to take one off the road for “minor” defects and as said in another post it’s ran until it gets towed in. 

I'm not really sure, but I think if anything, Stinson has too many buses - 80 artics for 3 artic routes, and 223 regular buses for some mostly infrequent routes. In addition, they now have the Flyers in service but didn't send anything away, so availability shouldn't really be an issue... I suspect they just couldn't care about their fleet, because all other garages have an older fleet compared to Stinson, yet none have such widespread issues across its fleet...

===

31-071 was on the 24 yesterday morning, fully wrapped for Canadian Tire. Thanks Stinson...

31-062 was on the 171 this morning. I took 30-842 on the 121.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

I'm not really sure, but I think if anything, Stinson has too many buses - 80 artics for 3 artic routes, and 223 regular buses for some mostly infrequent routes. In addition, they now have the Flyers in service but didn't send anything away, so availability shouldn't really be an issue... I suspect they just couldn't care about their fleet, because all other garages have an older fleet compared to Stinson, yet none have such widespread issues across its fleet...

I was waiting for them to remove some of the irrelevant 31-xxx like 31-070-71, 31-094-95, 99, 168... It didn't happen🥲

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/13/2022 at 6:58 PM, haydenrab said:

37-004 might be the evidence we need lol!!

Here's some more evidence: last year I rode 37-021 on the 171 and it made some weird whiny noise while moving (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kskTnodWlfw). It's also like this on 38-050 and this is a SL bus!

I also rode a 37-0XX on the 164 SN last autumn, on idle there was some kind of fan noise which was really loud.

8 hours ago, M106 said:

I was waiting for them to remove some of the irrelevant 31-xxx like 31-070-71, 31-094-95, 99, 168... It didn't happen🥲

I dunno, at this point the STM is just sending scattered buses (sometimes in small random ranges) to whatever CT has the space for more buses. You probably won't like SD with their very scattered buses haha. Your wish will come true... in about 5 years!

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am also confused as to why we have so many airport configured buses that are only most effective on the 747 (and to some degree the 485 due to Dorval terminus being close to YUL). They end up dumping these buses on some busier routes at rush hour and the luggage racks makes it quite difficult to circulate and stand in the bus.

3 hours ago, Blue Hybrid Bus said:
 

Here's some more evidence: last year I rode 37-021 on the 171 and it made some weird whiny noise while moving (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kskTnodWlfw). It's also like this on 38-050 and this is a SL bus!

I also rode a 37-0XX on the 164 SN last autumn, on idle there was some kind of fan noise which was really loud.

37-003 does the same noise and I can remember 37-086 sounding similar when slowing down. Last time I took 37-054 (couple months ago), it did sound kind of odd.

—————

• 31-166 was on the 24-O this afternoon with the old oval NovaBus emblem at the front.

• 31-032 arrived at Du College as the 72 at 17:55.

• 28-112 was on the 204 this evening near YUL.

• 28-081 was parked at Lionel-Groulx as the 211 this evening around 19:40. It has the FR rear bumper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/15/2022 at 9:02 PM, Frozen Yogurt said:

I'm not really sure, but I think if anything, Stinson has too many buses - 80 artics for 3 artic routes, and 223 regular buses for some mostly infrequent routes. In addition, they now have the Flyers in service but didn't send anything away, so availability shouldn't really be an issue... I suspect they just couldn't care about their fleet, because all other garages have an older fleet compared to Stinson, yet none have such widespread issues across its fleet...

 

Stinson has indeed a lot of artics, but let looks at some facts

- About 1 out of every 5 bus is not avaliable for maintenance / cleaning / inspection matters
- The 100 Cremazie that used sometimes artics before last year route change now use none.
- There is a slight down in service levels due to pandemic stuff

Now for the regular parts, remember the Flyer only started running "full time" a month ago so they still have the diesel buses to replace those. Also what's is not available, bus operators, lots of job being paid in overtime.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, eclair14 said:

Now for the regular parts, remember the Flyer only started running "full time" a month ago so they still have the diesel buses to replace those. Also what's is not available, bus operators, lots of job being paid in overtime.

I feel like this issue should be the same across all garages though - which still couldn't really justify why one particular garage cannot manage its fleet, especially when it's the youngest fleet at the STM. But yeah, it must be the pandemic, when I last regularly took the 29-8xx at SN (in 2019) they felt fine, so something didn't go right since then...

On 3/16/2022 at 11:35 AM, M106 said:

I was waiting for them to remove some of the irrelevant 31-xxx like 31-070-71, 31-094-95, 99, 168... It didn't happen🥲

I never expected that out of the blue, Stinson would end up sending away their 28 series... only to exchange for the airport runners... what a shame. I wish all the dirty, beaten up 31-05X and such were sent to SL instead.

===

Sightings for today.

I took 31-841 on the 121 this morning - it sounds a bit like an ISL artic after it switches to the higher gear. 28-122 was at Sauvé signed as chauffeur en formation.

30-014, 022 and 40-922 were on the 171 this afternoon, all not tracking. 30-015 was also on the Flyer 128 run, not tracking.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, ReusableNoseTissue said:

I am also confused as to why we have so many airport configured buses that are only most effective on the 747 (and to some degree the 485 due to Dorval terminus being close to YUL). They end up dumping these buses on some busier routes at rush hour and the luggage racks makes it quite difficult to circulate and stand in the bus.

An airport bus is better than no bus at all!

New Flyer galore at Henri-Bourassa today.

Spotted on the 171: 40-908, 40-909, 40-922, 40-928

 

STL 2051 was on the 70 at Cartier Metro

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MTL66 said:

and to some degree the 485 due to Dorval terminus being close to YUL

This is not the reason, many runs on the 485 are short runs that are like 3 to 5 hours long and not super busy so they are perfect fit to slip airport buses on them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/18/2022 at 12:47 AM, eclair14 said:

This is not the reason, many runs on the 485 are short runs that are like 3 to 5 hours long and not super busy so they are perfect fit to slip airport buses on them

I was referring to the distance between the airport and Dorval terminus. But yes you are correct, airport buses end up on the 485 because of its short runs.

—————

Yesterday:

• 30-080 was ET on Sherbrooke street in the morning with a rear fleet number in the new font style.

• 28-067 was on the 138 this afternoon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I forgot to mention that I spotted STL 1308 on the 151 on Tuesday. Not tracking as this bus does always!

Spotted 40-912 on the 171 this afternoon. It has not tracked so far.

I took 31-821 on the 121 this morning. It has a barcode saying "31806" at the rear.

Took 29-036 on the 129 this afternoon. Nice way to get around the metro service disruption! 30-008 was on the 124, not tracking as usual.

Edit: Forgot to add: 39-002 was on the 128 for the entire day. 40-930 was not tracking on the 171 as well.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...