Today's Sightings

I took 22108 on the 1 today. The farebox and OPUS reader were covered up.

I am pleased that the RTL has switched this route back to 22xxx from 217xx/218xx!

And then I took 29-805 on the 80. I sat down in the back and any movement in the seat was squeaky to some degree if not outright wobbly! I also heard this of seats near the front when people sat down there. It also struggled a bit with acceleration on large inclines.

I hope that it doesn't get taken out tomorrow.

And I used to think that the big transit system should set the standards for the smaller ones.

Seems like a quiet week - I'm not sure where all the students went. Oh well, quieter rides! I had 37-038 on the 171 this morning.

In addition, RTL 20712 was on the 45, and spotted Fleur de Lys 1421 unloading at Mansfield.

===

Some minor fleet updates: the latest roster obtained from the stm indicates that 29-803 is now retired. All 28-700 hybrids are gone as well.

22106 on the 1 late this afternoon.

I forgot to mention that I took STM 30-031 on the 427 yesterday morning. The doors make a weird "springy" sound when opening, which I also heard on previous 30/31-xxx rides in the past (actually one of these may have been 30-031 as well, but again, these buses in general are horrific). I was expecting to see a crushload but there were only a few other people on it.

20713 on the 45 this morning. My first second gen ride on the RTL in nearly 3 years.

It was made the way buses used to be, with ample seating that does not fold up and tropical fish seat inserts. A big contrast to STM 41-xxx where seating is very sparse!

I noticed a common theme in several of the recent STM photos; window panes with no wrapping on them. 33-842 takes this to a new level:

20230125_113440.thumb.jpg.5659a03037343822536f9bcb5ce17d9a.jpg

Are they done with wrapping windows? If so then good. The upper deck is a desired section for me on RTL (and other normal transport authorities') buses, but not on the STM because of the difficulty in seeing outside.

4 hours ago, RTL_45 said:

I noticed a common theme in several of the recent STM photos; window panes with no wrapping on them. 33-842 takes this to a new level:

20230125_113440.thumb.jpg.5659a03037343822536f9bcb5ce17d9a.jpg

Are they done with wrapping windows? If so then good. The upper deck is a desired section for me on RTL (and other normal transport authorities') buses, but not on the STM because of the difficulty in seeing outside.

Well the Chevron might not be the best for the viewing experience, but it did bring one positive aspect, the rear windows are no longer scratched by kids like on the olders LFS

21 hours ago, eclair14 said:

Well the Chevron might not be the best for the viewing experience, but it did bring one positive aspect, the rear windows are no longer scratched by kids like on the olders LFS

One can argue that kids are more on their phones today. The sideways-facing seats also makes it physically awkward to scratch the windows. And finally the cameras may deter vandalism. Times have changed, I think.

I don't think this "positive aspect" outweighs losing outside view: who cares if there are a few scratches. The whole rear section is a disaster at the STM. They want people to move back but do exactly all to discourage people from moving back: loss of standee and seating space and loss of windows, not appealing to anyone. Plus the livery is so ugly anyway, exactly what a 3-yr-old can come up with. Admittedly the STL gets it even worse, ew.

On 1/25/2023 at 6:54 PM, RTL_45 said:

Are they done with wrapping windows?

To answer the original question, no. Buses still routinely get new chevrons applied, however it depends on which CT (e.g. Frontenac has more ad wraps so tend to have more missing chevrons). But since the STM had to also cut a considerable amount of maintenance budget, I'd rather them fixing the Stinson shit than spending money applying useless chevrons.

To throw some sightings around, I had 30-863 on the 121 yesterday. These things are showing their age... I could feel the vibration of the heater from my seat, and the engine sounded really awful. The artic joint is squeaky too.

15 hours ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

One can argue that kids are more on their phones today. [...] Times have changed, I think.

I haven't seen any scratches on RTL buses recently either, in spite of lacking most of the STM's deterrents. So that probably explains it.

I took 21706 on the 1 with yet another broken farebox.

I also took 21007 on the 16. For awhile there was a squealing noise when accelerating, but it went away by the time it reached Nobert. One of the far-back seats has had its bottom cushion replaced with one with the STM's contemporary design.

a few things to note when it comes to chevrons. The only part of the chevrons thats is wrap is the windows and the frames of the windows. The remainder of the livery is painted onto the bus much to what people think. When they repaint a bus, the STM shops do not have the capabilities to apply the special wrap to the windows, which is not the same vinyl that is applied to the window frames.

i always thought the buses were wrapped completely, but was made aware of this fact a couple years ago when we were in the paint shops at Legendre with one of the FHTCQ buses back when i was a volunteer for them.

When it comes to buses that were given an ad wrap, the company that applies the wrap has an obligation to return the bus to it's original state before the wrap, reason why those buses get the chevrons re-applied. The wraps on the windows are done by an outside shop in St-laurent for the STM near the ikea. thats is where nova bus sends the buses to get the job done when they are finished building the bus. that shop also paints part of the livery directly on the fiberglass panels. this has been the norm for a couple of years. the buses were wrapped in the first years, but were not able to stand up to the constant washes and daily abuse of stm service.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RTL_45 said:

I was in a rush, but I was taken aback by this sighting on the Concordia shuttle this morning. Here's Skyport 5901, apparently used recently with an exo property?

Still in Autocars Skyport livery too, didn't think they had any left like that.

I guess a lot of the transit buses are down for maintenance. I saw 9210 operating on it a few weeks ago.

1656090088_PXL_20230109_1417390953.thumb.jpg.b2e708ca4973c944cda9059cea63c645.jpg

As for the exo logo, that probably dates to 2020, when Keolis operated the REM Deux Montagnes shuttles.

On 1/29/2023 at 5:26 AM, MTL66 said:

a few things to note when it comes to chevrons. The only part of the chevrons thats is wrap is the windows and the frames of the windows. The remainder of the livery is painted onto the bus much to what people think. When they repaint a bus, the STM shops do not have the capabilities to apply the special wrap to the windows, which is not the same vinyl that is applied to the window frames.

i always thought the buses were wrapped completely, but was made aware of this fact a couple years ago when we were in the paint shops at Legendre with one of the FHTCQ buses back when i was a volunteer for them.

When it comes to buses that were given an ad wrap, the company that applies the wrap has an obligation to return the bus to it's original state before the wrap, reason why those buses get the chevrons re-applied. The wraps on the windows are done by an outside shop in St-laurent for the STM near the ikea. thats is where nova bus sends the buses to get the job done when they are finished building the bus. that shop also paints part of the livery directly on the fiberglass panels. this has been the norm for a couple of years. the buses were wrapped in the first years, but were not able to stand up to the constant washes and daily abuse of stm service.

In Québec City, it's fairly easy to know when a bus formerly had a wrap: if any part of the livery that's on a window is missing, the bus was likely wrapped at one point. I'm assuming the Saint-Laurent wrapping facility is also used for RTC's Novas? Not wanting to send a bus from Québec to Montréal for a minor paint job would make sense.