Today's Sightings

I'm currently in RTC's 2103, and good LORD, is it loud. Not sure if it's the muffler or if the battery ran low, but it's buzzing a lot.

Other observations:

- 1261, 1664, 1665 and 1666 were all retrofitted with rigid seats.

- 1662 lost its wrap for Collège Saint-Charles Garnier.

Well, stupid Stinson strikes again!

For a Saturday, it's pretty pitiful. 37-057 broke down on the 171... as a result the eastbound departure is cancelled, leaving an hour of a gap without a bus (yes it's running every 30+ minutes). 31-214 filled in for its next westbound departure. Later I noticed the subsequent WB departure got cancelled too... 37-091 had some sort of issue too I presume.

Also spotted 30-143 filling in for 33-834 on the 470. All this, and I was only out for an hour. Bravo...

Seriously, a ride on something without mechanical problems is too much to ask it seems like. Some of the private companies running for exo even do better than this.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

For a Saturday, it's pretty pitiful. 37-057 broke down on the 171... as a result the eastbound departure is cancelled, leaving an hour of a gap without a bus (yes it's running every 30+ minutes). 31-214 filled in for its next westbound departure. Later I noticed the subsequent WB departure got cancelled too... 37-091 had some sort of issue too I presume.

Also spotted 30-143 filling in for 33-834 on the 470. All this, and I was only out for an hour. Bravo...

Seriously, a ride on something without mechanical problems is too much to ask it seems like. Some of the private companies running for exo even do better than this.

So much problem that they have to use the 41-069 on Stinson's run since friday ?

10 minutes ago, Matt Demers said:

28-082 and 28-085 were both on the 139 this evening. 28-085's rear sign is stuck on  En Transit. Another day with all 40 footers on the 139.

With the arrival of the SRB, the 139 will be 40 Footers, as Artics will be for the 439 which will run 7 days a week as of November 7

46 minutes ago, MTL66 said:

With the arrival of the SRB, the 139 will be 40 Footers, as Artics will be for the 439 which will run 7 days a week as of November 7

Had a quick look: it seems like the 139 has been changed to 40 footers, on weekends only, for this list (Oct 24 to Nov 6), with a somewhat more frequent service* compared to the September list.

Starting on Nov 7 (which seems to be a separate booking, at least at Legendre) it will be reduced to 30 minutes headway with 40 footers all the time.

Still, I'm curious how the artics situation will be until January: rumors are that the 45 and 197 will go back to 40 footer next year, but in the mean time artics will still serve both routes, and the 439 will have more service than both the 139 and 439 combined as of now. I wonder if there will be an artic shortage.

P.S. I'm not sure why the 139 will serve the Amos SRB station, to then merge out of the SRB.

* I think someone at the STM must have messed up the schedule. For Sundays, northbound from Pie-IX it was :10, :30, :50... from 10am to 1pm (every 20 minutes with artics), now around the same time period it's :00, :30, :45... (every 30, 15, 15, 30, 15, 15... with 40 footers).

1 hour ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

Still, I'm curious how the artics situation will be until January: rumors are that the 45 and 197 will go back to 40 footer next year, but in the mean time artics will still serve both routes, and the 439 will have more service than both the 139 and 439 combined as of now. I wonder if there will be an artic shortage.

Well it's true but ...

Let say for tommorow for the 7am hour, 8 trips of 139 and 9 trips of 439 are scheduled to pass the Amos stop so 17 buses , at SRB opening there will be 2 trips of 139 and 17 trips of 439, so 19 buses. More service sure but the 439 will do the trip quicker then the 139 they replace, Timetable says a trip at 7am SB between H-Bourassa and Pie-IX station is 28 minutes by BRT compare to 41 minutes via the local 139, so that 25 percent saving is significant, so the number of buses to be used to run service should remain about the same as today. Northbound against the flow it's the same story, those 6 139 trips will become 2x139 and  5x439 so just a net increase of 1 bus per hour. One final point is that since the 439 is run in special schedules padding is extremely genrerous on many runs, so that will add a couple buses on the line.

If not enough artics are avaliable, some trips can use 40 footers. One thing is that they could not send trips to SN as only somevacations team drivers and network spares have received training

3 hours ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

P.S. I'm not sure why the 139 will serve the Amos SRB station, to then merge out of the SRB.

I don't think the 139 will make the stop in the SRB lane. The SRB is in a protected lane at hat point of the SRB and exiting from the SRB lane onto Pie-IX southbound would be hard because of the sidewalk on the southside of Amos on the Southbound side. I suspect the bus will as it is doing now and turn left and integrate Pie-IX southbund directly. I assume they just never changed the name of the stop in the data, as during the construction phase, 139 buses were turning into the SRB stop, as well as regular traffic was using the SRB lane coming from Laval as the southbound lane at Henri-Bourassa was closed.

They could also consider the street stop as the SRB stop in name only. But I do believe the name of that check point will eventually change to Pie-IX/Amos once the new timetables come out for January.

On 10/30/2022 at 12:43 AM, Frozen Yogurt said:

Why is the media not reporting this like they did with the first gens back in the day?

19 hours ago, MTL66 said:

I don't think the 139 will make the stop in the SRB lane. The SRB is in a protected lane at hat point of the SRB and exiting from the SRB lane onto Pie-IX southbound would be hard because of the sidewalk on the southside of Amos on the Southbound side. I suspect the bus will as it is doing now and turn left and integrate Pie-IX southbund directly. I assume they just never changed the name of the stop in the data, as during the construction phase, 139 buses were turning into the SRB stop, as well as regular traffic was using the SRB lane coming from Laval as the southbound lane at Henri-Bourassa was closed.

They could also consider the street stop as the SRB stop in name only. But I do believe the name of that check point will eventually change to Pie-IX/Amos once the new timetables come out for January.

I think it must have been a mistake then: theoretically, the 355 clearly serves Pie-IX / Parc Pilon which is outside the BRT, but the 139 and 439 both serve the SRB Pie-IX / d'Amos. Watch them put up a message on their website on November 7 saying "Certains arrêts sont déplacés pour une raison hors de notre contrôle" lol. Just to confuse people!

20 hours ago, eclair14 said:

[...]

so that 25 percent saving is significant, so the number of buses to be used to run service should remain about the same as today. Northbound against the flow it's the same story, those 6 139 trips will become 2x139 and  5x439 so just a net increase of 1 bus per hour. One final point is that since the 439 is run in special schedules padding is extremely genrerous on many runs, so that will add a couple buses on the line.

If not enough artics are avaliable, some trips can use 40 footers. One thing is that they could not send trips to SN as only somevacations team drivers and network spares have received training

Yes, that's reasonable.

So again, it goes to show that making buses running faster is for the benefit of everyone. It's sad that elsewhere, improving service efficiency seems to cause allergic reactions from all layers of STM, politicians and planners alike, and everyone takes a jab to make things move even slower than ever.

Onto Stinson, in any case there will be less drivers assigned there next year, so I doubt they can help out the 439 even if they're theoretically allowed to.

12 hours ago, Bus_Dealership said:

Why is the media not reporting this like they did with the first gens back in the day?

Unfortunately, it's not a problem for all garages of the STM: LaSalle for example has high standards of maintenance where a bus reported for defects will be immediately repaired upon returning to the garage.

Stinson is this bad because they do what Luc Tremblay wanted - xx% of the fleet is available to pick passengers up, but it doesn't matter if the heater doesn't work, or if the steering wheel isn't aligned, or if the window is shattered, you name it.

30-824 was parked on Thimens (close to Beaulac) with emergency lights on. I thought it broke down but when checking the tracker it was at the east end already.

Also noticed that every 2 weeks, there`s at least one Artic (most likely for the 121) that breaks down on Côte-Vertu boulevard. Might not sound like a lot, but seems that some Artics can`t handle all day runs. :(

31-832 on the first 439 SRB Pie-IX trip. I hoped there would be more people, but I was the only passenger boarded at Albert-Hudon / Henri-Bourassa. We ended up three minutes behind, because we had to wait for passengers to get to the new station... Meanwhile the 139s have 41-xxx and 42-xxx series running this morning.

image.thumb.jpeg.bb02afb4852b6dfd9e4a5b8ec0b474b4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3f8cc44650ff806def0b0d5b72c1565d.jpeg

• Thanks 1