OC and STO service disruptions

Cre47

CANADIAN CYCLING CHAMPIONSHIP - EFFECTIVE: JUNE 24th & 25th

On Saturday, June 24 from 7 am - 7 pm and on Sunday, June 25 from 1 pm - 5:30 pm, Route 159 will be CANCELLED and all stops will NOT be in use, due to the Canadian Cycling Championships being held at Tunney's Pasture.

On 2017-06-24 at 2:26 AM, Gregory said:

OC Transpo has also announced detours for the period between June 27th and July 4th.

Click here for details.

Maps of the detours are now available as well.  Interesting to note where routes 4, 11, 12, 16X and 18 end, which means that riders trying to cross downtown will either need to make two transfers or hoof it between Metcalfe and Daly--after all, 06/27 to 06/30 and 07/04 are considered work days for many people <_<:

cda-150-map_Jun27-Jul4-2017.png

cda-day-detours_map2017.png

2 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

Maps of the detours are now available as well.  Interesting to note where routes 4, 11, 12, 16X and 18 end, which means that riders trying to cross downtown will either need to make two transfers or hoof it between Metcalfe and Daly--after all, 06/27 to 06/30 and 07/04 are considered work days for many people <_<:

cda-150-map_Jun27-Jul4-2017.png

cda-day-detours_map2017.png

According to Twitter service Downtown has been pretty shambolic today with long delays, it doesn't bode well for the rest of the week and Canada Day in particular. Fortunately I live close enough to Downtown that we are just likely to walk on Saturday.

7 hours ago, Centralsmt said:

According to Twitter service Downtown has been pretty shambolic today with long delays, it doesn't bode well for the rest of the week and Canada Day in particular. Fortunately I live close enough to Downtown that we are just likely to walk on Saturday.

Yup it took one operator to cause the massive lineup on Nicholas/416

(people were allowed to get off on a active highway) 

IMG_4088.thumb.PNG.61c64337425d3b9ee9599815a370648e.PNG

Photo from the Ottawa Traffic cam feed.

The O-Train Trillium Line is reopened ahead of schedule. Noon today is when trains will start running.

Final comments:

Just in time too. Especially with downtown traffic being heavy, a good option if heading to the south and bypass the area. At the same time, since buses are interlined between multiple routes, kinda difficult to predict how much of a ripple effect there will be on local routes. 

Still happy that there is an alternative. 

4 hours ago, OCtranspo10 said:

13:58

Downtown is officially at capacity.

ALL OC buses in downtown core are stopped. 

NO Bus service to/from Gatineau 

14:00

OC Transpo will be using Laurier for service 

Supposedly it was because of the motorcade leaving Parliament Hill that caused MacKenzie King Bridge to close down briefly. The double decker Route 85 Bayshore that I was on made an unplanned detour: From Laurier Avenue westbound, left Nicholas, Hwy 417 westbound, right Metcalfe, right Argyle, left Metcalfe, left McLeod, right Metcalfe, left Laurier, right Kent, left Albert to route. 

In addition, I did see an artic broke down on Nicholas northbound, just before Laurier Avenue. 

There must have been 50+ westbound buses stacked up from Elgin east to....wherever, up Lees. And that was before the rain hit at 7-ish PM.

I headed out to Place d'Orleans, caught an old Invero on a fast run to Hurdman, and the 88 to Algonquin. The 88 driver said that he was doing fine and on time until he hit downtown and wound up an hour late. I'm not sure where exactly the 88 goes downtown. :blink: (The westbound run from Hurdman was fast, no traffic in the way.)

41 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

I headed out to Place d'Orleans, caught an old Invero on a fast run to Hurdman, and the 88 to Algonquin. The 88 driver said that he was doing fine and on time until he hit downtown and wound up an hour late. I'm not sure where exactly the 88 goes downtown. :blink: (The westbound run from Hurdman was fast, no traffic in the way.)

The driver must have been talking about another route he drove today because the 88 doesn't go downtown.  It is former route 118 and runs from Hurdman to Kanata via Billings Bridge, Baseline Road and Robertson Road.

27 minutes ago, tomsbuspage said:

The driver must have been talking about another route he drove today because the 88 doesn't go downtown.  It is former route 118 and runs from Hurdman to Kanata via Billings Bridge, Baseline Road and Robertson Road.

The bus pulled into Hurdman with some strange sign changes so maybe he came from downtown with some riders already on board.

I have to say that changing all the route numbers but maybe not changing the transitway signs and maps is a work of less-than-genius. I 'always' knew it as the 88 because all day, right through the campus where I'm staying, I've seen 88 HURDMAN and 88 TERRY FOX. But where's 88 on the maps at Place d'Orleans??

Well of course transit fans know all the changes, and it's not like Ottawa is full of out-of-towners who have been told "take the bus, don't even think of taking the car" who would have no idea what goes where even if it was consistently numbered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed T. said:

The bus pulled into Hurdman with some strange sign changes so maybe he came from downtown with some riders already on board.

I have to say that changing all the route numbers but maybe not changing the transitway signs and maps is a work of less-than-genius. I 'always' knew it as the 88 because all day, right through the campus where I'm staying, I've seen 88 HURDMAN and 88 TERRY FOX. But where's 88 on the maps at Place d'Orleans??

Well of course transit fans know all the changes, and it's not like Ottawa is full of out-of-towners who have been told "take the bus, don't even think of taking the car" who would have no idea what goes where even if it was consistently numbered.

Like what tomsbuspage said, it was an interline route (some drivers do multiple routes during their shift or allocated to certain routes if a spare on stand by).

Route 88 doesn't go to Place D'Orleans. 88 (old 118) runs between Terry Fox Station and Hurdman Station. The last time they did run to Place D'Orleans was many years ago. April 17, 2011 is when it was discontinued which the 118 ran during peak periods. The only route that runs to Place D'Orleans from Billings Bridge is the 104, but that one also interlines with the 4 at Carleton towards downtown.

With all the route renumbering in preparation for LRT, it is going to be a bit of a learning curve. Before that, the marketing was your major connections. Routes 95, 96 and 97 to get anywhere in the city. 

8 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Like what tomsbuspage said, it was an interline route (some drivers do multiple routes during their shift or allocated to certain routes if a spare on stand by).

Route 88 doesn't go to Place D'Orleans. 88 (old 118) runs between Terry Fox Station and Hurdman Station. The last time they did run to Place D'Orleans was many years ago. April 17, 2011 is when it was discontinued which the 118 ran during peak periods. The only route that runs to Place D'Orleans from Billings Bridge is the 104, but that one also interlines with the 4 at Carleton towards downtown.

With all the route renumbering in preparation for LRT, it is going to be a bit of a learning curve. Before that, the marketing was your major connections. Routes 95, 96 and 97 to get anywhere in the city. 

Oh, I knew 88 didn't go to Place d'Orleans, but I was pretty sure that some route did connect PdO with Hurdman. As it turns out, it was a low 4200 Invero on the 104 which apparently hasn't had its route number fiddled with.

A 'learning curve' for riders is one thing. Route numbers displayed by the buses that don't match up with the bus numbers at the various transitway stops, nor on the transitway maps, that's another thing. To have this half-completed, half-arsed situation, over the biggest tourist weekend in Ottawa's recent history, when all these visitors are unfamiliar with the system, is not an overwhelmingly wise move in my opinion.

Heck, even the operators were unclear on the route number changes for routes not their own.

2 hours ago, Mark Walton said:

Some pf the posters in the comment blog (now closed) really pasted Manconi over a call that wasn't even his to make: http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/reevely-royal-motorcade-broke-canada-day-transit-service-oc-transpo-boss-says

It wasn't just the closure that they were complaining about, it was the badly planned services in general on Canada Day, many people couldn't actually get Downtown as all the buses were starting at outer termini and were soon full, there were no buses starting along the routes closer to Downtown.

people are also just generally frustrated with OC Transpo's poor level of regular service these days with constant delays and cancellations on many routes on a daily basis.

Manconis general "it's never our fault" attitude in any interview also irks many, IMO he is a very poor manager of Transit in this city.

I take it everyone would rather have Mercier back?

I've been told by several drivers that "every bus OC has is on the road". Zero spares, thus cancellations are inevitable. Unless someone is willing to pony up the money for corrective measures (bus leasing/purchases, TPMs, etc), or someone on council actually asks for it, I expect nothing to be done until LRT opens, and probably very little done after that if anything.

• 2 weeks later...

CRESTHAVEN CLOSURE - EFFECTIVE: JULY 27th FROM 9:00am-3:30pm

Cresthaven will be closed from Strandherd to Fairpark.

80 Tunney's Pasture: From Cresthaven, left Strandherd, right Crestway, right Hathaway, left Cresthaven to regular route.

80 Barrhaven Centre: From Cresthaven, right Hathaway, left Crestway, left Strandherd, right Cresthaven to regular route.

Detours and delays expected downtown when La Machine creatures take over July 27–30 July 26, 2017 Route 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 12, 14, 16, 18, 19

La Machine, an Ottawa 2017 Signature Event, is coming to downtown Ottawa and the ByWard Market from July 27 to 30. Routes 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 12, 14, 16, 18 and 19 will be detoured throughout the weekend in order create safe zones for spectators and creatures alike. These routes and all routes that run on the Transitway will also experience short disruptions or delays to service as La Machine creatures pass through.
Sign up for service alerts or follow @OCTranspoLive on Twitter for the latest transit impacts.

Planned road closures

Additional closures may be added and lifted throughout the weekend.
Even if there are no stops on a closed road segment, bus routes in the area may be detoured or experience delays.

Wednesday, July 26
  • Early-morning rolling closures along Sir George Étienne Cartier Parkway and Sussex Drive, between Aviation and Guigues
  • Sussex Drive northbound, from Guigues to St. Patrick, closed from noon to 6 am on Thursday
Thursday, July 27
  • All-day closure of Guigues Avenue from Sussex to Parent
  • Sussex Drive, between Guigues and Murray, closed overnight from 4 pm to 6 am
  • St. Patrick Street, between Mackenzie and Parent, closed from 5 pm to 11 pm
  • Alexandra Bridge, between Laurier (Gatineau) and Mackenzie, closed from 5 pm to 11 pm
Friday, July 28 and Saturday, July 29

Rolling closures and significant traffic impacts are expected:

• As far north as Bruyère Avenue
  • As far south as Laurier Avenue
  • As far east as Cumberland Street
  • As far west as O’Connor Street
Sunday, July 30

Closures and significant traffic impacts are expected:

• Along Wellington Street
  • Along the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway
  • On Victoria Island