OC and STO service disruptions

Cre47

Instead of having multiple threads, I've thought of put a single one for all disruptions to service on both STO and OC such as construction, events, protests, parades, etc. etc. mostly focusing on the downtown core as very often events are disrupting service of both on Wellington, Rideau, the bridges, Bank, Elgin, Albert, Slater, Queen, etc.

Again looking at the city's website for streets closures, today a race downtown forced the closure of the Portage and Chaudiere Bridges this morning affecting STO service likely.

Again, Monday I've heard on the news that there will be disruption on Wellington and the Alexandra Bridge due to some sort of parade or other event there.

Basically, all these disruptions are another reason while 1 to 3 tunnels should be built below Wellington-Rideau, Albert and Slater and maybe Elgin (although that one is a long shot). Also, maybe a bus-only bridge for STO should be built linking Ottawa and Gatineau. The best location for now that would be between Saint-Joseph and Parkdale (or right along the railway bridge and possibly as an expansion of the Rapibus), that would also be in conjunction of the possible UQO expansion in that area but that is too far from downtown and some routes would have to continue east on Tache and the core. With the Domtar closure there could be an opportunity for a bridge for buses linking Wellington to the corner of Laurier and Laval.

There is the funeral procession for RCMP Const. Christopher Worden is at 11:30am, and, therefore, Wellington/Rideau between O'Connor and Nicholas will be closed from 11:30a to 1:00pm, as well as the northbound lanes of the Alexandria Bridge. Between 12 noon and 3:30pm Sussex between Rideau and Cathcart will be closed, and there will be no access to Sussex from Guiges, Clarence, York or St. Andrew in that time period. All routes in the area will be detoured to use the Mackenzie King bridge, Albert, and Slater streets.

OC 4439

There is the funeral procession for RCMP Const. Christopher Worden is at 11:30am, and, therefore, Wellington/Rideau between O'Connor and Nicholas will be closed from 11:30a to 1:00pm, as well as the northbound lanes of the Alexandria Bridge. Between 12 noon and 3:30pm Sussex between Rideau and Cathcart will be closed, and there will be no access to Sussex from Guiges, Clarence, York or St. Andrew in that time period. All routes in the area will be detoured to use the Mackenzie King bridge, Albert, and Slater streets.

OC 4439

And apparently, the rush hour is a total nightmare (looking at the cameras) with STO service being completely disrupted. Not that I am against the ceremony for the fallen officer ... it's sad I know, but why haven't they started it earlier (10 AM for example) or pick another location for the funeral or simply do it on weekends not at the time it will cause complete chaos for all the people working downtown.

Yep I think it is time for a transit tunnel not only on Albert/Slater but also Wellington/Rideau... and fast.

And apparently, the rush hour is a total nightmare (looking at the cameras) with STO service being completely disrupted. Not that I am against the ceremony for the fallen officer ... it's sad I know, but why haven't they started it earlier (10 AM for example) or pick another location for the funeral or simply do it on weekends not at the time it will cause complete chaos for all the people working downtown.

Yep I think it is time for a transit tunnel not only on Albert/Slater but also Wellington/Rideau... and fast.

Don't remind me, I was stuck inside a STO NOVA LFS on the 38, and god, my butt was numb. The bus hardly moved and ended up being packed from rideau to wellington. Anyways I kinda agree that they should have done the funeral on a weekend, but if it had to be yesterday, then yesterday it will be. ;)

Don't remind me, I was stuck inside a STO NOVA LFS on the 38, and god, my butt was numb. The bus hardly moved and ended up being packed from rideau to wellington. Anyways I kinda agree that they should have done the funeral on a weekend, but if it had to be yesterday, then yesterday it will be. ;)

Try getting stuck in half an hour of traffic on the 98 in one...

Anyway, apparently, the Infoplus signs are effing up (Is that really anything new? The one at the Hull Hospital is never working). Though, this would explain why the infoplus signs were only displaying the regular routes the other day.

For a tunnel under Wellington would ned to very very deep not to just go under the canal but there is presently two two tunnels(one very old, the other about 10 years old) under Wellington Street on top of each other.. There steam tunnels(and are quite large and high) that run from the cliff steam plant behind and between the National arcives ans Supreme Court all the way to the Chateau laurier. The heat all the buildings along Wellington & sparks street and part of Sussex Drive. Also a tunnel there would only serve the STO as OC buses turn on Bank/wellington. also who pay for it? Not City of Ottawa Tax payers as it wouldn't benifit them? Provinces of Obntario? I highly dought it. Gatneau not likelt. And most likely not in a chance Province of Quebec. Thats leaves more or less the feds which I dought they would.

TOM ;)

Yesterday I had to drive a 2 and it took me 45 minutes to go from Rideau and King Edward to Bank and Wellington. It was a nightmare. After I got onto Bank it wasn't as bad but Wellington was a parking lot.

Also a tunnel would benefit Ottawa because it would take all the STO buses from above ground and put them below ground removing some traffic which will help. That would mean more traffic can flow and STO can operate more buses into Ottawa. That means service improvements so more people can be transported into Ottawa.

Yesterday I had to drive a 2 and it took me 45 minutes to go from Rideau and King Edward to Bank and Wellington. It was a nightmare. After I got onto Bank it wasn't as bad but Wellington was a parking lot.

Haha, I don't ride the 2 anymore. Too much time spending picking up passengers then really travelling inbetween stations. I just depend on 95,96 and 97.

Also a tunnel would benefit Ottawa because it would take all the STO buses from above ground and put them below ground removing some traffic which will help. That would mean more traffic can flow and STO can operate more buses into Ottawa. That means service improvements so more people can be transported into Ottawa.

but who would pay to build it?

BANK Street service at Summerset between Summerset & OConnor on Bank street detoured due building collasp(floor or wakk has caved in. Not sure how long this detour is in effect.

Eagleson/417 area. On Ramp to Eagleson is closed and 417 down to one lane for 1/2KM not sure how long this is in effect or how this wil effect Express & Transitway service to Kanta.

The Bank Street service is the most effected)

Both OC and STO need to do a much better job of getting information about delays out to the public, especially via their web sites. Either OC and STO, or the City of Ottawa and City of Gatineau, should have a duty webmaster who can do that kind of update.

BANK Street service at Summerset between Summerset & OConnor on Bank street detoured due building collasp(floor or wakk has caved in.

Not sure how long this detour is in effect.

<snip> - MW

The Bank Street service is the most effected)

The building is the one on the SE corner of Bank and Somerset, where the Duke of Somerset pub used to be. It was being renovated when the collapse happened; the sturdy Bobcat cab saved the operator's life. The detour is still in effect; police have said at least a week.

Here's what I'm thinkin' for the detours...

Routes 1, 4, and 7 northbound: From Bank, left on McLaren, right on Kent, right on Somerset, left on Bank.

Route 316 westbound: From Somerset, left on O'Connor, right on McLaren, right on Kent, left on Somerset.

Southbound buses won't be affected by detours, however, they could experience delays.

ALL service in the Bank/Somerset area has been detoured. The detours are as follows:

1 and 7 Northbound

left Gladstone, right Kent right Laurier, left Bank to route.

4 Northbound

stay on Kent to right Laurier, left Bank to route

1, 4, and 7 Southbound

right Laurier, left Lyon, left Gladstone, right Bank to route

2 Northbound

left Kent, right Laurier, left Bak

2 Southbound

right Laurier, left Lyon, right Somerset

OC 4439

For about a couple of weeks, buses and trucks cannot use the right-lane in both directions on the Draveurs Bridge on A-50. Not really a problem in the morning since buses uses the left-lane as they at Saint-Laurent but in the afternoon, buses most go in the centre lane but delays on top of the existant hefty delays are relatively non-existant. The problem is due to the structure of the bridge which has stress cracks and used-out concrete in the lower pilers. There looks to be some work that will be done in the spring.

The three Gatineau River bridges are in poor shape although the Lady Aberdeen Bridges 's older structure (northbound) is under repairs while the Alonzo Wright Bridge will not be having significant work on it until a very long-range widening probably in the mid 2010s.

Recently there have been delays on STO service on the MacDonald-Cartier and Alexandra Bridges during the afternoon rush hour, but towards Ottawa as congestion build-up on the opposite side of the normal heavy traffic. Of course, this is causing extensive delays to rush-hour service, and the driver's union group are fed up by the delays - likely the Ottawa delays.

I hope the city of Ottawa will be done soon with the work on King Edward from the Bridge to Rideau. Although there should have a reserved and carpool lane on the McDonald Cartier Bridge as well as on King Edward for the duration of the construction and same thing on the Draveurs Bridge (A-50) as well as Wellington Street. The big responsible of the delays is obviously the city of Ottawa.

Also on the City's website it says that Bank and Somerset will be closed until November 30th because of the building problem. Darn it's so slow this issue.

And finally, if we don't enough of transit disruption, there will likely be significant disruptions Sunday downtown however, I would hope they don't close Wellington and limit the ceremony to Parliament Hill or the War Museum - the spaces seems large enough (unless there is a parade or something).

Here are the expected disruptions for this weekend and it's not just downtown.

Not only Wellington will be closed between Bank and Sussex but also Elgin north of Albert and Queen east of Metcalfe.

Expect some (perhaps significant delays) for several routes both STO (all routes) and OC (1, 2, 4, 7)

Disruptions will also affect routes 101, 160 and 164 in Kanata as well as, Route 96 in Stittsville, again Routes 2 and 18 in Westboro and yet again Route 2 in Vanier.

Another weekend filled with significant disruptions due to men in red suits parading across several areas of the city. Yep already the Santa's Parade(S) are starting already this weekend.

There will be three Santa related disruption sites and several routes will be affected, now since OC didn't posted the detours yet and may not, I am in charge of passing those detours here. Note, I will only mention the routes that will be affected.

1- Barrhaven (Saturday Evening)

Directly affected by the Parade will be Routes 170 and 171 which travels on Strandherd east of Marketplace as well as Route 173 which travels around Marketplace. Affected will be Strandherd from Beatrice to Greenbank and Greenbank south until Marketplace. Since the parade starts at Beatrice and Strandherd it is possible that the 176 may be affected at Woodroffe, if the parade line-up is long.

2- Kanata (Saturday Midday)

Parade will go through the Glen Cairn community on Castlefrank and Abbeyhill from Terry Fox to Hazeldean Mall (or just south of it). Main route affected will be the 161 through Glen Cairn, although since the parade winders behind Hazeldean Mall, there could be some rerouting of routes 118 and 164, which uses Abbeyhill to access the Mall.

3-Downtown (Saturday Midday)

Obviously, this is the parade that will cause lots of transit problems as the float will travel on Laurier then O'Connor (because of the Bank/Somerset closure), Gladstone and then Bank until Lansdowne Park. Several routes will be significantly disrupted.

First Sto Route 21 which travels on Laurier, although the effects will be minimal, so the STO may not be affected significantly downtown at least, although maybe tie-ups on Wellington may be a problem

For OC though it's a different story - First Routes 1 and 7 will be the most affected as the parade will follow a good chunk of both routes along the O'Connor detour and Bank (probably those two will follow Lyon or Kent). Routes 2 and 4 will not be affected because of the Bank/Somerset problem. As the parade will cross Elgin, it will likely slow down the 5 and 14, the latter will also be affected at Gladstone same as goes for the 316. Finally Route 101 which travels on Chamberlain and Catherine will be affected and may have to travel for some time on the 417 between O'Connor and Kent to avoid delays.

The major transit routes will not be affected by the parade fortunately.

Other notes: The city's site mentions that the Bank and Somerset intersection will remain closed until November 30 which it will be like almost a month and half. Like not Bank Street had enough lengthy closures in the past and then areas further south will see more construction in the following years.

Just in case anybody hasn't heard already, Hurdman Station was closed from about noon-3:00p.m. due to suspicious package that was called in to city police at about 11:40a.m.

The detours for this were very complicated. There's no easy way to get from Hurdman to downtown without using the Transitway bridge over the river!

I've posted a few photos of the detours:

http://www.busgallery.ca/99701.html