A. Wong

St. Albert Sightings

762 posts in this topic

No, I meant "I thought it was retired", coz I didn't see it for a while, n I realized it is still in service when I saw it on that day

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Saw a St Albert bus turning SB on 124 Street from EB on 118 Avenue tonight just before 2100hrs. I checked the St. Albert Transit weekday maps and could not find what route this could have been. I didn't see a rte number display on the rear. Looked like there were some people on board though.

A bottleneck at the factory means that St. Albert’s new electric buses won’t get here until next year, says the head of the city’s transit service.

The city bought three electric buses earlier this year with the help of provincial GreenTRIP funding as part of its efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. It now plans to buy another four, as the federal and provincial governments chipped in an additional $3 million earlier this month.

Those first three buses were supposed to have arrived earlier this fall. That got pushed back to Dec. 15, and now it’s been bumped to January.

The problem was that manufacturer BYD Coach & Bus Ltd. only had one painting booth at its factory, said city transit director Kevin Bamber.

“They can produce the buses faster than they can get them through their painting booth.”

Source: http://www.stalbertgazette.com/article/Environment-File-20161221

The tender is now out for up to 5 electric buses in any combination of 30, 35, or 40' lengths.

Only BYD is pre-qualified with their 35' and 40' buses as a result of the prior tender. That makes me wonder if New Flyer even qualified for the previous tender? I don't believe New Flyer has an option for 200 km/ 8 hr range on a single charge yet. 

To be pre-qualified to bid, buses must have a 200 km/ 8 hr range, recharge from 0-100% in 3-6 hours, be battery powered, 12 year warranty on batteries... they'll be replaced at no cost to the City if they fail in 12 years, and any 30' buses being submitted must be substantially similar to the vendors standard  35' and 40' buses. I guess that measn that New Flyer wouldn't be able to submit a MiDi as the 30' component and Xcelsior for the 35' and 40' component. Makes sense... I'm guessing St. Albert doesn't want to be stuck with a separate body/ chassis to support should they go for 30' buses as part of this tender.

Very interesting... first time an Canadian agency has tendered a second time for electric buses, and they haven't even received their first ones yet.

1 person likes this

Wow those buses can charge up faster then my phone!:lol:

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, LRT said:

Wow those buses can charge up faster then my phone!:lol:

Requires a hell of a charger!