St. Albert Sightings

A. Wong

Spotted at the front of the ramp at the StAT garage this evening, in the area that I assume is reserved for buses being retired from the fleet: 805, 839, 840 and 841. All still had license plates attached.

Coincidentally I had spotted 840 in service just this morning on a route within St. Albert.

:rolleyes:

I wonder how long the classics will hold out...

If 805 is in fact being retired, then there is some reason to hope that at least one Classic may survive :( . Ten of the new LFR's are slated for fleet replacement, so if 846 and 805 are among those being replaced, that would leave a maximum of eight further replacements and there are nine Classics in the fleet.

I find it hard to believe that only one Classic would be left in service however, as that would require continued investment by StAT in a bunch of spare parts that would otherwise no longer be necessary. Perhaps 805 is not being retired but just being parked outside temporarily. It was rebuilt only a few years ago.

Well, which LFR's are in service...

#865, 866, 868, 871 872, 873, 874, 875 and 876 have all been spotted in service.

So what about 867, 869, 870 and 877. Has anyone seen these in service?

So its seems likely that 834, 836, 839, 840 and 841 are certainly retired now.

837 and 838, can't really say for sure as no one has been able to report seeing those within the past couple weeks

835 and 842 I suspect are still active. So here is a wild shot, say 835 and 842 hang around for a bit longer? Much like GM New Looks 832 and 833 did?

Very doubtful that 805 is going to be retired. If anything an older D60 would be retired.

I find it hard to believe that only one Classic would be left in service however, as that would require continued investment by StAT in a bunch of spare parts that would otherwise no longer be necessary.

Just thought of a fact that may refute my own argument - didn't 832 soldier on on its own for a while?

Just thought of a fact that may refute my own argument - didn't 832 soldier on on its own for a while?

Oh yes, you are correct, my mistake.

I do remember riding that one in its last days and it wasn't too pretty. Great power all the way to the end, but the ride quality was awful for a GM. Also the seats were in pretty bad shape, very lumpy.

Saw 842 this morning outbound of the University.

So assuming that all the D40LFR's are now in service, which I think is reasonable at this point, pending a chronic problem with one or two of the new buses, we can maybe anticipate that a few Classics will be kept for the time being. Given that maybe the rush hour bookouts are demanding a few more buses then had been anticipated at the time the D40LFR's were placed onto order. I am starting to suspect that is the case, maybe its wishful thinking.

But 3 possible active MCI Classics aside from 842, are: 835, 837 and 838, presuming nothing happened to 835 over the past week. Though again, 837 and 838 hasn't been reported spotted for a while, so who knows. Maybe keeping 4 MCI Classics is probably a bit too much given there are 13 D40LFR's.

But 3 possible active MCI Classics aside from 842, are: 835, 837 and 838, presuming nothing happened to 835 over the past week. Though again, 837 and 838 haven't been reported spotted for a while, so who knows. Maybe keeping 4 MCI Classics is probably a bit too much given there are 13 D40LFR's.

Spotted 837 on a 205 NB at about 7:15 this morning.

I'm not sure all the new LFR's are in service yet, which may expalin why some of the Classics are still hanging around. Has anyone spotted 877 in active duty yet?

Forgot which unit I saw, but two days ago I saw a bus in series 801-803.

I heard one of them this morning too. I really hope they hang onto all 6 of the D60's for a while. I personally think they have the best ride quality of all the buses they operate aside from the hard seats. They have all gone through refurb too. Curious of 805 suffered some catastrophic failure of some sort or there is something seriously wrong with it. It still strikes me as very odd that they would retired one of the late model D60's. Another note, St. Albert's 3 1995 D60's are the only ones in Canada with a Detroit Diesel Series 50 engine are they not?