Transit in Yukon/NW Terr/Nunavut

Tcmetro

I didn't know where this should go, so I put it here. Anyways is there any transit in this part of Canada?
Whitehorse has a transit service, that at one time employeed a number of ex Calgary Transit Orion I's. I believe, the fleet now includes a number of Nova Bus LFS's.Whitehorse, I believe, also has a streetcar line. More of a tourist attraction than a part of the transit system.Yellowknife has a transit system. I believe it is/ was run by Cardinal Coach Lines. They at one time used school bus type vehicles.

Iqaluit had transit until 2005. Service was two routes, and the fleet consisted of one school bus. It was canceled due to low ridership (28 riders per day!)

I think it's more like Iqaluit had transit since in 2005. As you noted, the route was cancelled. I don't believe it was in service longer than a year.

• 2 weeks later...
Whitehorse has a transit service, that at one time employeed a number of ex Calgary Transit Orion I's. I believe, the fleet now includes a number of Nova Bus LFS's.Whitehorse, I believe, also has a streetcar line. More of a tourist attraction than a part of the transit system.Yellowknife has a transit system. I believe it is/ was run by Cardinal Coach Lines. They at one time used school bus type vehicles.

I have a photo of the new Nova LFS in Whitehorse

http://www.ygtransit.fotopic.net/p45287293.html

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Well it looks like that Whitehorse Transit has All Novas and 1 IC Corp bus.

I checked the wep site and saw only novas and the International bus

I wouldn't count on it unless someone has a better info.

And, I don't understand why can they provide their own photo rather take someone's photo.

http://www.whitehorse.ca/index.asp?Type=B_...F-BC5BB04EADE6}

Well it looks like that Whitehorse Transit has All Novas and 1 IC Corp bus.

I checked the wep site and saw only novas and the International bus

When I met with a driver during a event this summer, they still have the Orion I in service. It is a mix of Novas and 1 other high floor, can't remember what that one is. They did get some new Novas this year, and they have LED signs (can't remember that much about them but I looked at a couple pictures of them). He actually drove the Orion daily because the drivers usually drives the same bus unless it breaks down, and preferred driving it over the Novas.

They do have snow tires but don't find it a problem to drive them in the winter.

And since the service is accessible but has high floor buses mixed in, you would call into the transit department to tell them you need a low floor on your route for a particular run. If a high floor is assigned to your route for the day, they would get a low floor off another run and ask the driver on that bus for to do your run, while the high floor driver covers the other run.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Here are some Yellowknife Transit shots taken during a visit on April 29 and 30th. Yellowknife has 10 buses in the fleet which includes 2 cutaway buses that are only used in paratrans service. I was surprised to see the Bluebird TC2000 still in service as it was not included in the Yellowknife fleet survey in 2009 that was submitted to CUTA and used for the CTHF Street Side Guide.

The high floor buses work well in this town. There are ruts and dips all over the roads due to the extreme temperatures experienced. First Transit staff feel that low floor buses would not work in Yellowknife as they would bottom out and after having driven a rental car on the city streets, I agree with them.

As you can see by the interior shots, the seats are strictly school bench type. Also, the rear exhaust extension is homemade and was needed because of ice fog. They found that street level exhaust condensed immediately, froze and then would take a few seconds to disperse, restricting the vision of car drivers behind the buses. Thus, the exhaust was raised to the roof of the bus through the home made extension.

Kevin

Yellowknife_Transit__1485___30APR10.jpg

Yellowknife_Transit__1485___Rear_View___30APR10.jpg

Yellowknife_Transit__1650___30APR10.jpg

Yellowknife_Transit__1746___29APR10.jpg

Yellowknife_Transit__2486___Interior___30APR10.jpg

Yellowknife_Transit__2672___30APR10.jpg

Here are some Yellowknife Transit shots taken during a visit on April 29 and 30th. Yellowknife has 10 buses in the fleet which includes 2 cutaway buses that are only used in paratrans service. I was surprised to see the Bluebird TC2000 still in service as it was not included in the Yellowknife fleet survey in 2009 that was submitted to CUTA and used for the CTHF Street Side Guide.

The high floor buses work well in this town. There are ruts and dips all over the roads due to the extreme temperatures experienced. First Transit staff feel that low floor buses would not work in Yellowknife as they would bottom out and after having driven a rental car on the city streets, I agree with them.

As you can see by the interior shots, the seats are strictly school bench type. Also, the rear exhaust extension is homemade and was needed because of ice fog. They found that street level exhaust condensed immediately, froze and then would take a few seconds to disperse, restricting the vision of car drivers behind the buses. Thus, the exhaust was raised to the roof of the bus through the home made extension.

Kevin

I too am surprised to see the Blue Bird TC2000 #1650 still in operation. Two of her sisters were moved back to Calgary over 10 years ago and those were #'s 1651, and 1662. #1651 was actually written off just last year after a major crash with a minivan and then hitting a tree in Huntington Hills.

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Ridership rates fail to impress

City considering Internet bus-tracking system so commuters not left waiting in the cold

Sara Wilson

Northern News Services

Published Tuesday, September 27, 2011

SOMBA K'E/YELLOWKNIFE

According to the most recent data, one per cent of Yellowknife residents are choosing to leave their cars and bikes at home and let city transit take them where they need to go; a statistic city officials want to increase in the coming year.

Read the full article in the Northern News Services Online.

• 2 years later...

I too am surprised to see the Blue Bird TC2000 #1650 still in operation. Two of her sisters were moved back to Calgary over 10 years ago and those were #'s 1651, and 1662. #1651 was actually written off just last year after a major crash with a minivan and then hitting a tree in Huntington Hills.

#1650 has now been transferred to Calgary and is now repainted back into School Bus colors and in use.