orionbus

Oakville Transit

1,549 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Kerr-Eastlake said:

this is a public forum - not a private one, anyone can read it. Best to only be critical when you are in a position to make changes. Till then put your head down. Get into the industry, work your way up and then do your best to respectfully make the changes. Debating people on here doesn't do anything but raise eyebrows.

 

also best not to make complaints about equipment being good or not till you've been behind the wheel of it. You can not like/like how it looks but as far as how it performs- leave that up to the operators and mechanics. 

I think it's fair to say all of us in this board want to see the industry succeed.  And it's fun to discuss how we think it could: but not from a position of pretending to know the definitive solutions. transit is big politics. Which unfortunately everyone wants and no one wants to pay for. People in the positions of management are typically doing the best they can with minimal resources. - only so much you can do with no extra money coming in. 

Political minds raise eyebrows, and im good at that, but yes, I am working towards getting into a position of change in the industry. I understand transit is under resourced (and it severely upsets me, I take it almost personally cause it hurts what im passionate about), but none the less I feel progress is always possible, we have good people at the helm. At the sams time I do advocate where I can, sit down with the right people, and use the connections I have made.

 

I feel my critical brow-raising is constructive to some extent because it starts tough conversations and gets people to really consider their sides and opinions. It gets people passionate about the Vicinity for example, but also possibly critical. I built a side to the conversation that I felt was neglected. I do study and research alot, so my opinions are informed. Just perhaps not as well as some others or many operators in some fields. However, politics is my specialty, and that is what I practice most on here. I mean not to offend, and I dont take any criticism on here personally, I feel im keeping the conversation going, and I do mean to be respectful, but tough and accountable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

Political minds raise eyebrows, and im good at that, but yes, I am working towards getting into a position of change in the industry. I understand transit is under resourced (and it severely upsets me, I take it almost personally cause it hurts what im passionate about), but none the less I feel progress is always possible, we have good people at the helm. At the sams time I do advocate where I can, sit down with the right people, and use the connections I have made.

 

I feel my critical brow-raising is constructive to some extent because it starts tough conversations and gets people to really consider their sides and opinions. It gets people passionate about the Vicinity for example, but also possibly critical. I built a side to the conversation that I felt was neglected. I do study and research alot, so my opinions are informed. Just perhaps not as well as some others or many operators in some fields. However, politics is my specialty, and that is what I practice most on here. I mean not to offend, and I dont take any criticism on here personally, I feel im keeping the conversation going, and I do mean to be respectful, but tough and accountable.

Its different from the inside my friend. You can make reasons for why what you've said so far is ok.  I'm telling you from what I've seen you post, my guess is you've already burned some bridges and if you want to get off the sidelines and into the industry, a more respectful quiet approach would do you some favours. You do what you want, its not my career on the line... just my 2 cents. 

Having those conversations in here has done nothing to change anyones opinions of anything, Grande west will not be changing how/where they make their vehicles based on what you've said, its all been factored in, they wouldn't be allowed to sell buses here if the bus wasn't compliant with the Canadian content requirement as their company rep very adequately explained. Most of us in the career are passionate about it, but you aren't going to come fresh out of school into a position where you can make the changes you want too. you get in at the base level, do your time, gain some respect and you'll be amazed at the doors opened too you, but it will not happen overnight and if you have the expectation that it will, you will be sorely disappointed. 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To get back to the Oakville Content - here are some photos from the vault

P4010028.JPG

Oakville-20120727-00427.jpg

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And to add to the Oakville Transit content, I just spotted this today.

I always thought that A. If or if not, we had Regional transit B. There should be a premium service to Kelso/Glen Eden. Say....$5.00 a fare?

20170109_160029.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

where do you propose the money for that is coming from? Glen eden is a mediocre ski hill at best. with Blue Mountain, Horseshoe and Mount St Louis and Holiday Valley in New York within a 2 hour drive, you're better off to just go there. and people in Oakville have the money to drive to those places, I can't see many people riding a bus from Bronte to Glen Eden. Makes sense for Milton to do it as its in their backyard. The regional transit has been talked about for a long time. I'll believe it when i see it, for now, we have GO transit. If people in Oakville don't want service through much of the south eastern quad. Why would they want to pay for a arguably non profitable route outside of the town limits. for now i think resources are better kept providing the current service. Fun to imagine but money talks!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kerr-Eastlake said:

where do you propose the money for that is coming from? Glen eden is a mediocre ski hill at best. with Blue Mountain, Horseshoe and Mount St Louis and Holiday Valley in New York within a 2 hour drive, you're better off to just go there. and people in Oakville have the money to drive to those places, I can't see many people riding a bus from Bronte to Glen Eden. Makes sense for Milton to do it as its in their backyard. The regional transit has been talked about for a long time. I'll believe it when i see it, for now, we have GO transit. If people in Oakville don't want service through much of the south eastern quad. Why would they want to pay for a arguably non profitable route outside of the town limits. for now i think resources are better kept providing the current service. Fun to imagine but money talks!

The 5 goes across Burlington, and the money would come from a premium but competitive fare. Allowing users to pay less than a GO route between Oakville-Milton while also serving entertainment destinations would actually attract 3 groups of riders: Recreation, commuter, and youth/service riders. The ridership is there. This route would do better than some current Oakville routes such as 11 and 15. Thats a real selling point id say. It wouldn't require much of a subsidy as long as the service is ONE bus, and limited operating hours. It also provides opportunity for contracting, which can save municipal dollars making it a palatable option for a cheap government.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ride a premium express bus in Toronto and see how many people pay the raised fare, you'd be surprised to know not many. The buses that currently go into Burlington make sense. Especially with the development north of Dundas. There is a very large area of dead space between milton and oakville, more so than the little stretch between colonel williams and appleby. waste of a bus in my opinion. i grew up in Oakville, not ever did i think "hey, id really love to go to a movie in milton"  when i could go to the Winston Churchill plaza or now the rio-can at Burloak. i struggle to see a "entertainment destination" that would be worth riding a bus to Milton to do - and MTB doesn't count.  

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Kerr-Eastlake said:

Ride a premium express bus in Toronto and see how many people pay the raised fare, you'd be surprised to know not many. The buses that currently go into Burlington make sense. Especially with the development north of Dundas. There is a very large area of dead space between milton and oakville, more so than the little stretch between colonel williams and appleby. waste of a bus in my opinion. i grew up in Oakville, not ever did i think "hey, id really love to go to a movie in milton"  when i could go to the Winston Churchill plaza or now the rio-can at Burloak. i struggle to see a "entertainment destination" that would be worth riding a bus to Milton to do - and MTB doesn't count.  

I do ride premium fare routes in Toronto, and York. Routes such as the Markham bus, and other buses north of Steeles, buses around York U, Humber College and the airport. They have plenty of ridership, despite the fare premium being for a conventional, short range service. Im proposing premium, long-range, competitive service. Ive lived in Oakville for 20yrs. Ive watched it grow too. And the plans say that Milton and Oakville are going to grow into each other in the next decade. In the next 5 years north of Dundas and up Bronte will be built. The demographics expected are "transit first" population growth. It only makes sense to connect the cities now in that area, utilizing the Bronte corridor while also providing a special service for the current population and destinations, makes total sense to me. Notice that; if a marketing team thinks bus ads for Glen Eden in Oakville make sense, somebody thinks there is demand in this area. How bout Oakville jump on that opportunity? Who partakes in, and has time for snow boarding, beaches, and biking once a weekend and on holidays? Youth, and students. Who commutes up and down Hwy 25 every day I went to Waterloo? Commuters. The ridership is there. I'd like to see an experiment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

I do ride premium fare routes in Toronto, and York. Routes such as the Markham bus, and other buses north of Steeles, buses around York U, Humber College and the airport. They have plenty of ridership, despite the fare premium being for a conventional, short range service. Im proposing premium, long-range, competitive service. Ive lived in Oakville for 20yrs. Ive watched it grow too. And the plans say that Milton and Oakville are going to grow into each other in the next decade. In the next 5 years north of Dundas and up Bronte will be built. The demographics expected are "transit first" population growth. It only makes sense to connect the cities now in that area, utilizing the Bronte corridor while also providing a special service for the current population and destinations, makes total sense to me. Notice that; if a marketing team thinks bus ads for Glen Eden in Oakville make sense, somebody thinks there is demand in this area. How bout Oakville jump on that opportunity? Who partakes in, and has time for snow boarding, beaches, and biking once a weekend and on holidays? Youth, and students. Who commutes up and down Hwy 25 every day I went to Waterloo? Commuters. The ridership is there. I'd like to see an experiment.

Or it means no one is going and they are trying to attract new people. Regardless, as someone who rides I wouldn't care if you picked me up at my door and drove me right to the chairlift- the hill still stinks.  What beach are you talking about? Wasaga is up by blue. It's not the draw you think it is. 

 

Sure they may be developing towards each other but there is still a fairly large pocket that can't be developed due to being a green belt. I've seen all the plans for the next few years in Oakville and they don't extend past the 407

Also for safety reasons/ travelling at higher speeds with ski's and boards you would need to have a special bus with racks to keep it all from falling on people. Which would reduce seating making it dumb for commuters. Same in the summer. You get 2 bikes on the bike rack. They don't come in the bus. So 2 people a trip get to take bikes. Or you let them in the bus and it takes up so much room there is no more room for commuters. They aren't gonna want to ride with that nonsense 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had forgotten to mention that one of the changes that happened on January 1st (well, January 3rd actually) was the introduction of the new 121 - Southeast Industrial. I had first seen an XD40 displaying it on that day to which my initial reaction was that my sight was really in a decline that I had felt that it was misreading the "0" in the 120 for a 1 instead. :lol: Anyhow, am curious how this route was created and what type of demand there was for it to be created. What expectations are there and if there's a pilot for it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

I had forgotten to mention that one of the changes that happened on January 1st (well, January 3rd actually) was the introduction of the new 121 - Southeast Industrial. I had first seen an XD40 displaying it on that day to which my initial reaction was that my sight was really in a decline that I had felt that it was misreading the "0" in the 120 for a 1 instead. :lol: Anyhow, am curious how this route was created and what type of demand there was for it to be created. What expectations are there and if there's a pilot for it?

Yes - noticed that too.  This area has not previously had service, to my knowledge.  I suspect it is not a trial, because there is no indication of that on the website.  It just suddenly appeared in the routes and schedules section and it was not included in the list of service changes effective January 1 (when there were also timetable adjustments to routes 1,4 and 19/20).  The route runs on 12 minute headways - a 10 minute round trip and a 2 minute layover at Oakville GO, so that it is the only OT route that is not on the strict 15/30/60 clockface headways on which the rest of the system operates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, doug_oak said:

Yes - noticed that too.  This area has not previously had service, to my knowledge.  I suspect it is not a trial, because there is no indication of that on the website.  It just suddenly appeared in the routes and schedules section and it was not included in the list of service changes effective January 1 (when there were also timetable adjustments to routes 1,4 and 19/20).  The route runs on 12 minute headways - a 10 minute round trip and a 2 minute layover at Oakville GO, so that it is the only OT route that is not on the strict 15/30/60 clockface headways on which the rest of the system operates.

This was a joint agreement within the town and some companies (company), being privately "funded" if you will, to see how it will attract riders. I don't expect it to last long but thats just my personal opinion. I was the first driver to operate this route last tuesday and used Vicinity 1608. Only got one person in the two hours of service in the morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw on CP24 about a 3 vehicle accident. They said what two were but didnt say what the third was and it shows a Vicinity parked near the crash with its 4 ways going. Was that the third vehicle involved?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

I saw on CP24 about a 3 vehicle accident. They said what two were but didnt say what the third was and it shows a Vicinity parked near the crash with its 4 ways going. Was that the third vehicle involved?

No, it was probably on route 3 and got stuck in front of it all.

Orion VII 4103 was towed off property yesterday in tact condition. I assume its been sold off to someone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, orionbus said:

No, it was probably on route 3 and got stuck in front of it all.

Orion VII 4103 was towed off property yesterday in tact condition. I assume its been sold off to someone.

That's the unit I most likely saw outside the garage yesterday morning as I was on the GO.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm on 1604 atm, and again the transmission is very jolting. Except just now there were two big lurches that tossed a customer forward. Reminds me of manual mode on older MCI coaches. Why does this keep happening on 1600's? It happens on the first 2 up shifts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

I'm on 1604 atm, and again the transmission is very jolting. Except just now there were two big lurches that tossed a customer forward. Reminds me of manual mode on older MCI coaches. Why does this keep happening on 1600's? It happens on the first 2 up shifts.

Uh huh... A bus is a bus. It will ride and drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

I'm on 1604 atm, and again the transmission is very jolting. Except just now there were two big lurches that tossed a customer forward. Reminds me of manual mode on older MCI coaches. Why does this keep happening on 1600's? It happens on the first 2 up shifts.

Yes? And?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chris W said:

Yes? And?

Are 1600's supposed to do that? Theyre a good ride....aside from this occasionally jolt...especially when accelerating around a corner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Guys

I'm looking to obtain 1 or 2 old Oakville Transit guides with the old green logo if you have any u could spare send me a msg thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-01-12 at 7:56 PM, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

Are 1600's supposed to do that? Theyre a good ride....aside from this occasionally jolt...especially when accelerating around a corner.

Apply to drive one and find out. The seasonal drivers posting was back up last week.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now