• Announcements

• A. Wong

Saddened by loss of Winnipeg Transit driver   02/15/2017

We are saddened by the loss of Winnipeg Transit driver Irvine (Jubal) Fraser who was attacked while on the job and unfortunately passed away.
      A GoFundMe page has been set up by Winnipeg Transit colleagues to help Fraser's widow and family. We wish to extend our condolences to family and friends affected by this tragic event. View CBC News Article: Man charged with murder in attack on Winnipeg Transit driver
    • A. Wong

Upcoming Server Move   02/18/2017

Hello everyone! Please be advised that CPTDB and CPTDB Wiki will be unavailable starting the evening of February 25, 2017. We will be moving to another server. Users will be unable to view or post content during this time. We expect it to be up sometime on Feburary 26, 2017. A new announcement will take the place of this one, so you will know when the site is online and you are accessing it from the new server. Thanks! -A. Wong
      on behalf of CPTDB Admin
orionbus

Oakville Transit

1,588 posts in this topic

One of our 2006 D40LFR's #6108 was t-boned on Sunday afternoon, with extensive damage, but will be repaired. It's currently in the body shop, along with #2103, which suffered an accident with another bus at the Oakville GO Station in October. It's still not back yet.

Our 2007 D40LFRs are very slowly getting prepared for service. Two of them have Fareboxes installed, yet all of them are still white, with no decals.

Nice pictures of the buses.

I quite like the appearance of them. Interior and Exterior. The seat setup is a smart setup, more capacity compared to what you see in Hamilton (which is as uneconomical as you can get it seems). I like the grooved floor, but I could see that causing problems with gum and who knows what getting stuck in between.

Thanks.

It appears that our 1999 Orion VI #9911 has been finally unwrapped from the "Oakville Place" Shopping Mall Promotional Advertisement. As some of you know, this bus was wrapped in March 2004, and has since been updated every year. It's finally been removed today.

ive always been mystified...wat are the 2 squares in the back on the rear panel for anyways??

ive always been mystified...wat are the 2 squares in the back on the rear panel for anyways??

Those are just vents.

I quite like the appearance of them. Interior and Exterior. The seat setup is a smart setup, more capacity compared to what you see in Hamilton (which is as uneconomical as you can get it seems). I like the grooved floor, but I could see that causing problems with gum and who knows what getting stuck in between.

This is a standard setup as there are more people are sitting than standing. If you get more standing load, less seats.

Halifax early D40LF has the same seating arrangement as HSR 02 and beyond, but around 05-06 they went back to the face forward seats. It has nothing to do with standing capacity, it's more of easier evacuation as I've been told!

Those are just vents.

I think he's saying the interior large square. I think it has to do to access the rear section for the mechanics.

Thanks.

It appears that our 1999 Orion VI #9911 has been finally unwrapped from the "Oakville Place" Shopping Mall Promotional Advertisement. As some of you know, this bus was wrapped in March 2004, and has since been updated every year. It's finally been removed today.

You know, I've depended on that VI to be wrapped as its the easiest to indentify by just looking at once, no matter at what distance away from it I am, I know what fleet it is.

The wraps thing....hey, I gave nfl hybrid a chance to update on the HSR ads...Jan, you can also put up updates on the ads if you wish in the topic "Burlington's exterior ads." Maybe that topic's title should be revised to, "Exterior ads for Burlington, Hamilton & Oakville."

I got a looksee (and feel ;)) of the D40LFRs this evening. They seem (and smell) very nice. I can't wait to ride one in service. :P

#7102 was fuly decalled this afternoon, and is currently parked out back, under the canopy. It is the only unit so far to be decalled. #7107 is being worked on (still all white as of Monday Night), which only has its fleet numbers on. Three units, including #7107 are in Maintenance.

Anyways, #7102 looks nice. One noticable add-on is the "Oakville Transit" with logo now placed on the front of the bus, just left of the license plate which is still in the centre. The inside's drivers compartment, it appears that the transit radio is in a different location, along with the headset. Similar set up, like Translink's E40LFR's.

The only things missing on #7102 are the license plates and the farebox. I believe they have all been PDI'ed, and should hit the road soon.

I will post pictures soon...

Too much clutter I find once they put the front plate on it!

A ) They haven't done it yet, so don't complain yet.

B ) It's a city bus, and its purpose is not aesthetic.

A ) They haven't done it yet, so don't complain yet.

B ) It's a city bus, and its purpose is not aesthetic.

A ) I live in that area, I know what it looks like afterwards.

B ) The looks in certain ways do matter. For you you don't care, for me I do care!

Yeah, I gotta agree with you. It does look a little cluttered and the fact that they put the logo on the front of the bus in that specific spot makes it look even more cluttered.

Yeah, I gotta agree with you. It does look a little cluttered and the fact that they put the logo on the front of the bus in that specific spot makes it look even more cluttered.

The thing is, management don't care and never care, typical style.

What they should have done is placing the fleet # at the front where the NFI badge is and the transit name just below the fleet #. Then the license plate at the bumper.

Lastly, you don't need the NFI badge when delivered all white. Burlington camed with all white bus on their D40LF and the contractor who applied the decal put the NFI badge on the drivers vent. I have to see how Calgary newest D40LF once they decal with the NFI badge after.

A bit of an update on our new units...

#7102, #7105-7107 are parked under the canopy, ready to go, from the looks of it. We were waiting for GFI to deliver fareboxes for these units. The other three units (#7101, #7103-7104) are currently in maintenance, being prepped. I didn't take a look at them, but I am assuming they're also decalled, like the rest of them.

I was also told that these units will not enter service just yet. Aparently, drivers are to be trained on them, due to some different features we have on these units, engine wise, acceleration, which has to do with the EPA 07 Engines.

#7107 is still white, with numbers, so I can only assume will have a different livery, as it will become the new special events bus. I will try to find out more when I speak to management, when i'm back to work on Monday.

I was also told that these units will not enter service just yet. Aparently, drivers are to be trained on them, due to some different features we have on these units, engine wise, acceleration, which has to do with the EPA 07 Engines.

Hah no kidding...

That's what I was told about MT's 2007 D40LFRs from my source at MT, but they never required the drivers to be trained on them.

#7104 and #7106, parked under the canopy. :huh:

And they still installing the "Yield" sticker at the hood, despite how much they want to put an ad on it.

And they still installing the "Yield" sticker at the hood, despite how much they want to put an ad on it.

We wont be installing any ad brackets on the rear of the D40LFRs anymore. There are two or three units that accidently had them installed by a mechanic, therefore, the yeild stickers on those had to be moved above the lights.

I'm still skeptical about no ads on the rear, because I saw one of the new 71XX units with the yeild sticker above the lights, while the rest are on the hood... They may move it though.

I've always thought the D40LF's look better WITHOUT ad racks on the back, maybe it's just me, but I hate the way the ad racks look. Always have, even while living in Hamilton a city that wraps the back of EVERY damm bus they can, Espicially the Nova's (9700's) I remember growing up seeing the D901's and the Trolleys, with no rear ads, it wasent till the GM's they put ads on the back, and the in the 80's they stuck ads on brackets on the vent area on the MCI's (85-88's) Drove me NUTS seeing that.

Now, Obviously we're not very quick at preparing new buses for service, so long story short, they are still not on the road, but all set to go (doesn't make sense to me). Anyways, they should hit the road on Monday, from what I was told.

I did speak with the Maintenance Supervisor this afternoon when I came in, and he told me that 7 more D40LFRs should be here by July, and we're hoping for another 11, by the end of the year, if this years budget is approved. Two Blue Birds will be here in May, while the Milton Transit Blue Birds (4 of them) should be here the second week in February, entering service for March (when the new board period starts).

If all goes as planned, we should recieve 20 buses by the end of this year. Where will we park them in our little garage, is beyond knowledge at this point. We are aiming for a new garage within the next 4 years, so untill then, we'll be even more tight for space.

Now, Obviously we're not very quick at preparing new buses for service, so long story short, they are still not on the road, but all set to go (doesn't make sense to me). Anyways, they should hit the road on Monday, from what I was told.

I did speak with the Maintenance Supervisor this afternoon when I came in, and he told me that 7 more D40LFRs should be here by July, and we're hoping for another 11, by the end of the year, if this years budget is approved. Two Blue Birds will be here in May, while the Milton Transit Blue Birds (4 of them) should be here the second week in February, entering service for March (when the new board period starts).

If all goes as planned, we should recieve 20 buses by the end of this year. Where will we park them in our little garage, is beyond knowledge at this point. We are aiming for a new garage within the next 4 years, so untill then, we'll be even more tight for space.

Quite busy I say, better hire more drivers then! I've also been told that Oakville will totally revise a brand new service, something they have nothing done before!

#7101, #7103-7106 entered service today. #7101 wouldn't start in the morning, but the problem was fixed, and its currently out in service untill 12:25 tonight, along with #7103. #7104 and #7105 both went out for the morning rush hour.

#7102 was the only unit that didn't go out in the morning. It was supposed to go out, but I was told that it had radio problems, so it wasn't sent out. Again, the problem was fixed, and was ready for the afternoon to go out for rush hour, but wouldn't start. The cold weather probably played a factor in the issues with both #7101 and #7102, hence they should have been parked inside.

#7107 parked out front of the yard, but didn't go out, and I dont expect to see it on the road untill they apply the wrap that its supposed to get. I was on #7106 today, just to see how the ride was, and its quite smooth and quiet. Nothing really different than the older D40LFRs...

#7107 parked out front of the yard, but didn't go out, and I dont expect to see it on the road untill they apply the wrap that its supposed to get. I was on #7106 today, just to see how the ride was, and its quite smooth and quiet. Nothing really different than the older D40LFRs...

Rode 7104 tonight, quieter taking off as it does sound different. The two-way radio and hand receiver mounted on the left corner this time. It looks clean, but vandels will soon to be added on in no time.

Well, ordering CLASS rear door is a plain, simple joke as more than half of drivers continue to operate the door themselves!