TTC's Bike Rack Buses.

Redhead

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

The bike racks on the Nova's are being returned to service after being locked-out by the Ministry of Labour last year.

The solution to the problem is to only allow one bike on the rack instead of two, and a new set of restrictions on objects attached to bikes that can further obscure the Operator's view. The forward wheel securement will be removed thus making it unusable and the rack will be placed back in service.

The bike racks on the Nova's are being returned to service after being locked-out by the Ministry of Labour last year.

The solution to the problem is to only allow one bike on the rack instead of two, and a new set of restrictions on objects attached to bikes that can further obscure the Operator's view. The forward wheel securement will be removed thus making it unusable and the rack will be placed back in service.

In other words, they don't have a real solution. I knew the can't fix it cause the bumper is just too high up. Sounds kinda stupid that they are going to install all these new bike racks on all 105 LFSes and then cripple them to support one bike only.

Oh well, the LFSes are quite roomy inside compared to the Orion VIIs. That's cause they have like only 30 seats compared to 36 on the VIIs.

Why can't they just leave it up to "driver's discretion". I assume that all drivers are properly trained and can make a good judgement call whether or not a bike or two will impair their vision and ability to operate the vehicle. The same Nova RTS models are used in GRT and drivers don't seem to have a problem with this there.

I'm also assuming that racks on Orion VII will be unaffected and that they will allow 2 bikes on those buses. I do recall the Ministry of Transportation placing some restrictions on those racks too...

Oh well. Any solution is better than no solution.

I guess the management want to avoid confrontation between the driver and the passenger. Actually I can't see where the end of the bike rake on Orion 7. When I stop, I make sure I see the bumper of the vehicle in front my bus. In case anybody is wondering, the bike rake doesn't affect the clearance when the bus is making a right or a left turn.

In other words, they don't have a real solution. I knew the can't fix it cause the bumper is just too high up. Sounds kinda stupid that they are going to install all these new bike racks on all 105 LFSes and then cripple them to support one bike only.

How is that not a solution? The problem was the use of the furthest position blocked the operators view, the solution is to prevent the use of that position. If you're so worried about the TTC installing 2 position bike racks on the LFSes that only one position can be used on then get them to change from their current bike rack supplier Sportworks to GO Transit & Miway's supplier BykRak who make a one position rack. Honestly though, how often to you see both racks used at the same time, especially on the routes that the Artics operate on. On Dufferin and Bathurst maybe but the other Artic routes I rarely see even one bike on those buses.

I'm also assuming that racks on Orion VII will be unaffected and that they will allow 2 bikes on those buses. I do recall the Ministry of Transportation placing some restrictions on those racks too...

The Orion VII ban was resolved rather quickly, it had more to do with large accessories attached to bikes whereas the LFS was the actual bike blocking the operator's view.

I guess the management want to avoid confrontation between the driver and the passenger. Actually I can't see where the end of the bike rake on Orion 7. When I stop, I make sure I see the bumper of the vehicle in front my bus. In case anybody is wondering, the bike rake doesn't affect the clearance when the bus is making a right or a left turn.

I disagree, while making a regular turn the taper of the rack (narrower than the width of the bus) does not affect clearance, however on a turn where you need to go as far forward before hooking the turn the rack does reduce clearance. A great example of this is the right turn from Shepard to Tuscan Gt, made by the 108A and the 107.

How is that not a solution? The problem was the use of the furthest position blocked the operators view, the solution is to prevent the use of that position. If you're so worried about the TTC installing 2 position bike racks on the LFSes that only one position can be used on then get them to change from their current bike rack supplier Sportworks to GO Transit & Miway's supplier BykRak who make a one position rack. Honestly though, how often to you see both racks used at the same time, especially on the routes that the Artics operate on. On Dufferin and Bathurst maybe but the other Artic routes I rarely see even one bike on those buses.

They do get used sometimes in the Summer on the 53. (Both racks)

Remember the 105 LFSes and possible future LFS orders will also have this problem. A significant part of TTC's new fleet will be LFSes. Even on routes like 191, sometimes both racks are filled. The artics have more space for bikes, but the 40ft buses don't. The real solution I have in mind is a specially manufacture bike rack that dips down a bit then extends out to compensate for the raised bumper on the LFSes.

Yes, you're right about that fact that only a handful of people actually use the bike racks.

I disagree, while making a regular turn the taper of the rack (narrower than the width of the bus) does not affect clearance, however on a turn where you need to go as far forward before hooking the turn the rack does reduce clearance. A great example of this is the right turn from Shepard to Tuscan Gt, made by the 108A and the 107.

right I forgot about the overhang turn.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...