Grummans in Ontario

G.A

Does HSR still have 8251 on their property? It was back in 2001 when I was there! That's a LONG time ago now though... so probably gOnE!

I think it's still sitting up at the Hamilton airport inside the airport proper, you can see it from the outside but yon can't get to it at all. It was a few years ago already since Kevin got a photo of it up there.

I think it's still sitting up at the Hamilton airport inside the airport proper, you can see it from the outside but yon can't get to it at all. It was a few years ago already since Kevin got a photo of it up there.

I have seen a pic HSR`s Grumman somewhere on webshots.

Is it still on webshots?

there's a menagerie of buses sitting (including a grumman or 2) sitting behind an old furniture store on the west side of hwy 400, immediatey north of the sheppard avenue overpass, near the old eaton's/now home depot warehouse.

I was just gonna mention that place. I went by one time and took some through-the-fence photos. A woman started yelling at me, so I thought pfft. I have heard of another member, I cannot remember who, who was taken into the lot. They also have GO 1917 and several party fishbowls, as well as a few of the coaches that look like fishbowls, with the lower front.

Yep they were V drive. They could use the 6V71N and the later ones used 6V92T. Some early 870s had Cummins VTB-903. As far as I know all 870s used the V730.

Those ex-Santa Monica Grumanns are 8V71N IIRC.

There was 4 ex-LTC Grumanns in Woodstock, not far from VIA stn. I don't know if it's still there.

I found this in google, but I do not know who took the photo though.

1027723442031845892S600x600Q85.jpg

Btw is there any transit system in Ontario or in Canada that still operates these viechles? Didnt YRT had some at one point?

Nope, all gone now.

It's too bad the Metro never made it to Canada as they're much more reliable than the 870s. Most systems that got the 2nd hand 870s end up retiring them very soon. I think they were comparable to the VI or 1st gen LFS.

I don't believe the Grummans ever made it into the YRT fleet. Vaughan Transit definitely had them however. I'm pretty sure they had 4 or 5 of them. I know there were three units numbered from 907-909, but I recall one numbered in the 600 series as well.

I don't believe the Grummans ever made it into the YRT fleet. Vaughan Transit definitely had them however. I'm pretty sure they had 4 or 5 of them. I know there were three units numbered from 907-909, but I recall one numbered in the 600 series as well.

Others in Ontario:

- Transit Windsor had 6 1981 Grumman 870s #601 to 606 (ex-Santa Clara)

- Brantford Transit had 6 1981 Grumman 870s #9813 to 9818 (ex-Santa Clara)

- Guelph Transit had 5 1981 Grumman 870s #60 to 64 (ex-Central Ohio)

- London Transit had 23 1981 Grumman 870s #259 to 281 (ex-Santa Clara)

- Caledon Transit had 3 1981 Grumman 870s #9901 to 9903 (ex-Windsor, ex-Santa Clara)

- Clarington Transit had a few 1981 Grumman 870s as well.

As for YRT, none of them made it into the YRT merge. They operated under the older Vaughan Transit era. They had 5 of them in total.

- 601 ex-Windsor, ex-Santa Clara

- 606 ex-Windsor, ex-Santa Clara

- 904 ex-Dallas DART

- 907 & 908 ex-Brantford, ex-Santa Clara

Also worth mentioning is that Vaughan Transit kept the one's from Transit Windsor and Brantford in their respective colors. They only slapped on a large Vaughan Transit logo on the sides and front.

The attached photo is from Art Jennings via Richard Oldfield

I think it was summer 2000 we had it as a spare while one of our unts was in the body shop

P1010011.jpg

I would like to get the VIN for that bus so that it could be added to my Belleville Transit roster, but no one seems to know what it was!

Others in Ontario:

- Transit Windsor had 6 1981 Grumman 870s #601 to 606 (ex-Santa Clara)

- Brantford Transit had 6 1981 Grumman 870s #9813 to 9818 (ex-Santa Clara)

- Guelph Transit had 5 1981 Grumman 870s #60 to 64 (ex-Central Ohio)

- London Transit had 23 1981 Grumman 870s #259 to 281 (ex-Santa Clara)

- Caledon Transit had 3 1981 Grumman 870s #9901 to 9903 (ex-Windsor, ex-Santa Clara)

- Clarington Transit had a few 1981 Grumman 870s as well.

As for YRT, none of them made it into the YRT merge. They operated under the older Vaughan Transit era. They had 5 of them in total.

- 601 ex-Windsor, ex-Santa Clara

- 606 ex-Windsor, ex-Santa Clara

- 904 ex-Dallas DART

- 907 & 908 ex-Brantford, ex-Santa Clara

Also worth mentioning is that Vaughan Transit kept the one's from Transit Windsor and Brantford in their respective colors. They only slapped on a large Vaughan Transit logo on the sides and front.

After Guelph Transit retired the Grummans Guelph had another Grumman in 2002 from Clarington.

it still had the Clarington Transit logo on the front and was numbered 70.