Ontario Public Vehicle License Plate

SMS

I took this picture at Guelph Transit garage... is it common for old buses to have this plate? When did they phase out this system? I don't remember seeing these on TTC buses.

I see those plates on some old DRT buses and other buses from small systems. I don't think they are good for anything now, just certain transit systems don't bother to remove them. (I remember seeing photos of buses in the scapyard with those plates still on). I think the last buses I saw those plates on were 1990's

I took this picture at Guelph Transit garage... is it common for old buses to have this plate? When did they phase out this system? I don't remember seeing these on TTC buses.

we did have 'em once upon a time, too

they were likey removed at 6 and 12 time, if not earlier.

Interesting!

Public Vehicle... does this mean other types of public vehicles had this? I'm thinking along the lines of emergency vehicles... fire, police, ambulance. Or is it just for transit?

at the time, i think it was limited to buses, taxis and limos etc. feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Interesting!

Public Vehicle... does this mean other types of public vehicles had this? I'm thinking along the lines of emergency vehicles... fire, police, ambulance. Or is it just for transit?

I believe they were only attached to buses owned by companies who had cross boundary rights or operated inter city charters.

A municipality that only operated it's vehicles within its own boundaries did not need them.

Here in Belleville, Loyalist College was at one time outside the city and the route operated under a PV licence into Sidney Township.

Since amalgamation and expansion the College is now in the city, and the PV is not required.

The truck licence is a PCV but I don't think there is a plate for it.

I wonder since you brought up cross boundry there are initials that commercial vehicles entering quebec need... any one in ottawa notice if PRP is listed along the side of any of the plates on oc transpo... best routes to look at world be any entering quebec.

I wonder since you brought up cross boundry there are initials that commercial vehicles entering quebec need... any one in ottawa notice if PRP is listed along the side of any of the plates on oc transpo... best routes to look at world be any entering quebec.

PRP plates are issued to participants in the International Registration Plan,

only a small number of jursidictions in North America do not participate they are Mexico, Alaska, Yukon, Nunavut, and NWT

PRP plates for trucks are in the series PA-PZ i.e. 792 (Crown)1PA

BP is the letter combination used on prorated bus plates i.e. BP1 (Crown)792.

They would be seen only on intercity coaches that run regular routes.

If I recall most "hounds" carry Alberta plates so Ontario PRP plates on buses are quite a rare sight.

Charter coaches are not required to participate in IRP

I believe they were only attached to buses owned by companies who had cross boundary rights or operated inter city charters.

A municipality that only operated it's vehicles within its own boundaries did not need them.

Here in Belleville, Loyalist College was at one time outside the city and the route operated under a PV licence into Sidney Township.

Since amalgamation and expansion the College is now in the city, and the PV is not required.

The truck licence is a PCV but I don't think there is a plate for it.

Kitchener Transit had them on buses too for this same reason... Waterloo was too cheap to have their own transit so they mooched off Kitchener Transit and therefore the buses obviously had to cross city limits to get into Waterloo ( and also St.Jacobs Country ). Some of the plates still remain on some of the 8900 Classics and Orions.

Waterloo is STILL mooching off Kitchener AND Cambridge even today with more than transit lol!!

Kitchener Transit had them on buses too for this same reason... Waterloo was too cheap to have their own transit so they mooched off Kitchener Transit and therefore the buses obviously had to cross city limits to get into Waterloo ( and also St.Jacobs Country ). Some of the plates still remain on some of the 8900 Classics and Orions.

Waterloo is STILL mooching off Kitchener AND Cambridge even today with more than transit lol!!

Ok? How are Waterloo and Cambridge mooching off Kitchener for transit when the Region of Waterloo owns and operates all the vehicles and facilities, not the three cities? :blink:

PRP plates are issued to participants in the International Registration Plan,

only a small number of jursidictions in North America do not participate they are Mexico, Alaska, Yukon, Nunavut, and NWT

PRP plates for trucks are in the series PA-PZ i.e. 792 (Crown)1PA

BP is the letter combination used on prorated bus plates i.e. 792 (Crown)1BP.

They would be seen only on intercity coaches that run regular routes.

If I recall most "hounds" carry Alberta plates so Ontario PRP plates on buses are quite a rare sight.

Charter coaches are not required to participate in IRP

reason why i asked was when i was in Ottawa trucks had to have PRP plates to operate in Quebec and i was thinking it would have been the same for OC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...